News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Ron The Bear

Come on Sydney, come on!
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Secret report uncovers Collingwood’s ‘systemic racism’ (Herald Sun paywalled)

A secret report has found there is “systemic racism within the Collingwood Football Club that must be addressed if things are to change”.

The damning 35-page independent report — kept under wraps since being tabled with the Magpies board in December, just days after president Eddie McGuire announced his shock decision to vacate the job at the end of this season — says the club’s response to repeated incidents of racism “has been at best ineffective, or at worst exacerbated the impact”.

“There is a gap between what Collingwood Football Club says it stands for and what it does,” the report, obtained by the Herald Sun, says.

“While claims of racism have been made across the AFL, there is something distinct and egregious about Collingwood’s history.”

In a veiled swipe at the club’s governance, the report adds: “There is a culture of individuals, if not quite being bigger than the club, then at least having an unhealthy degree of influence over club culture.”
The report found there was a perception that lead some to conclude “Collingwood has become synonymous with off-field and on-field racism in Australian sport”.
Going by this article, the report seems to be a non-specific scattergun condemnation and as much as I detest Collingwood, that last sentence seems particularly unfair.

Strap yourselves in for the shitfight.

barrackers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Secret report uncovers Collingwood’s ‘systemic racism’ (Herald Sun paywalled)

Going by this article, the report seems to be a non-specific scattergun condemnation and as much as I detest Collingwood, that last sentence seems particularly unfair.

Strap yourselves in for the shitfight.
Yep, from the snippets I've read it appears very generalised and despite no names being mentioned it's clear that a few of the high profile incidents (fans and admin) are referenced. Things like diversity in off field staff and coaching could apply to any club or league too. Not sure where former CEO Pert sits with this though, as he hasn't been mentioned in previous reports or rumours.

While this report needed to be released publicly I'm a bit miffed that it's taken let another leak to seemingly all major media outlets though as I thought and hoped the days of admin leaks were behind the club.

I also found the below comment about Lumumba odd, as we all thought this was the purpose of the review. Did Lumumba's refusal to take part shift the purpose?

some positive steps already taken including:
  • The appointment of a First Nations person to the board
  • The appointment of a new CEO committed to making change
The impetus for Collingwood's independent review was the well-documented story of former club player Héritier Lumumba but it was not an investigation into his, or others, allegations.

TradeDraft

Premium Platinum
Oct 18, 2009
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now I’m no Western United supporter but as someone who is as passionate about the A-League as I am about AFL, this is a pretty heartening reminder that despite all the code wars rubbish it doesn’t actually have to be a choice between one or the other when it comes to following football codes.

Who is going to tell them that the Western United skipper has adopted Carlton as his footy team though (going by some of his Twitter content)?
You can enjoy all the Sports. Even you have 1 that is your Favorite still okay to watch the Others

TradeDraft

Premium Platinum
Oct 18, 2009
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep, from the snippets I've read it appears very generalised and despite no names being mentioned it's clear that a few of the high profile incidents (fans and admin) are referenced. Things like diversity in off field staff and coaching could apply to any club or league too. Not sure where former CEO Pert sits with this though, as he hasn't been mentioned in previous reports or rumours.

While this report needed to be released publicly I'm a bit miffed that it's taken let another leak to seemingly all major media outlets though as I thought and hoped the days of admin leaks were behind the club.

I also found the below comment about Lumumba odd, as we all thought this was the purpose of the review. Did Lumumba's refusal to take part shift the purpose?

How can we be Guilty when there where no Charges?

Jen2310

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Didn't catch who it was, but someone from the cats was on SEN this arvo. Said we had down to Geelong the week before the official community series.
Ah. I was wondering who we would play.

Behind closed doors I would imagine. Geelong have been picky in the past about practice matches thats not official.
So that would be the end of this month. Prob why they are ramping up match sims 2x a week.

barrackers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Behind closed doors I would imagine. Geelong have been picky in the past about practice matches thats not official.
So that would be the end of this month. Prob why they are ramping up match sims 2x a week.
My first thoughts were bugger, it will be a bloody lockout at Geelong. Hope we're wrong about closed doors though as I cannot make the one at Etihad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TradeDraft

Premium Platinum
Oct 18, 2009
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Collingwood

Well they can have Closed Games/Training as they are in there own Stadium

76woodenspooners

Premium Platinum
Jun 4, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood

Teasing a live stream of the practice match against Geelong on Friday?
Fully appreciate that footy clubs need to run a tight ship as far as expenses go ...

... and now more than ever before ...

... but gee, aren’t they taking it a bit far worrying about the cost of streaming an intra club match during the pre-season?!?

Shouldn’t they be looking for ways to deliver value to their members in the middle of a pandemic?

Remove this Banner Ad