News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. I expected it would happen, as he has had a fantastic year. A lot of people didn't think he had a place in the team if he wasn't tagging someone, but he has proved doubters wrong and cemented a place in defense.
A mate of mine is a dickhead Bombers supporter and asked me why he has a place in the team because he's got 0 goals for the year and is averaging 15 touches.

Doubled down on the dickheadedness when I said he's a defender now.

A mate of mine is a dickhead Bombers supporter and asked me why he has a place in the team because he's got 0 goals for the year and is averaging 15 touches.

Doubled down on the dickheadedness when I said he's a defender now.
haha some people need to look at facts before they talk.

“It has been really nice in the last month to get some good midfield time and gel well with those other guys.

“My role is really clear. It is bash and crash, contested style and fit in with the team defence stuff. I know if I bring all that stuff it will hopefully make the team better and make it easier for the other guys.”

What are people’s thoughts on Roaming Brian?

I thought it could be a good opportunity to see the atmosphere in the rooms, but I just don’t think Brian Taylor does a good job of it, and it just makes me think how boring and uninteresting it must be to have room access after games.

Last nights QF game examples ...

- You’ve just been watching these players play footy for two hours, surely he could think of less generic questions to ask the players?

- He doesn’t seem very relatable to the crowd, especially the kids.

- Would I’ve thought he’d make an effort to chat to the 300 game player?

- Second game in a row he failed to recognise Treloar’s partner and ex-Australian Diamonds player Kim Ravillion.

- The Waiklin kids was excruciating, in 2019 you can’t just ask two girls “what’s your name?” and then a boy “who do you play footy for?”

- Chasing DeGoey around was embarrassing.

I thought it could be a good opportunity to see the atmosphere in the rooms, but I just don’t think Brian Taylor does a good job of it, and it just makes me think how boring and uninteresting it must be to have room access after games.

- You’ve just been watching these players play footy for two hours, surely he could think of less generic questions to ask the players?

- Second game in a row he failed to recognise Treloar’s partner and ex-Australian Diamonds player Kim Ravillion.

- The Waiklin kids was excruciating, in 2019 you can’t just ask two girls “what’s your name?” and then a boy “who do you play footy for?”

Haven’t the Collingwood playing group stated that they will not participate in RB?

It’s awful.
I saw it when I was in North Queensland recently.

Thankfully going to most games I
Miss it.

He’s just not the right kind of person for it. It’s like he wants to be the star.

Not sure our club likes doing it anyway.

I’d dump it and concentrate on ensuring the coaches press conferences are miked for the questions to be clearly heard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFLW Press Conference ahead of the Pies Grand Finals against the Bulldogs on Sunday...

Why does the VFLW trophy look like something out of the 19th century? Its style looks older than the AFL (men’s) one! Surely they could have done better than that?

LOL’ed at Penny’s “You look great” at the start, cute to see the women bringing a feminine touch.

It sometimes gets a bit confusing when they refer to AFL / VFL. Sometimes they’re abbreviating the women’s comp, sometimes they’re referring to the men’s comp, and sometimes it’s not clear which one they’re referring to.

John Noble was just one game into his AFL career with Collingwood when he became embroiled in a fake footy scandal. A screenshot of a text message, claiming to be sent by Noble to his former babysitter, spread like wildfire on social media in early August. It said the Magpies were about to be kicked out of the finals after a group of players had bet on their own games.
he message was purportedly from “John Nobes”, but it had nothing to do with the Pies’ mid-season recruit, who was taken aback when he came across it. “I was to a point annoyed,” Noble told the Herald Sun this week. “There’s always that sort of stuff going on, regardless of whether it’s footy or just in the world in general. “It was annoying, yes, because I was trying to make my own career and have a good start and learn all the club’s strategy. For that to come up early was disappointing, but there was nothing in it.”

The Magpies spoke to Noble about the message, but knew full well it was fake. Regardless, it was not an ideal start to life at Olympic Park. “It was early days so I copped a full whack of everything in a couple of weeks,” Noble said. The rocky start did not last long, and Noble is on cloud nine as he prepares for a preliminary final against Greater Western Sydney on Saturday. It has been a meteoric rise for the 22-year-old, who just four months ago was running around for West Adelaide in the SANFL still searching for an opportunity at AFL level. “I never forget where I’ve come from and it’s been a long journey to get here but I’m certainly appreciating every moment,” Noble said.

“I said, just talking to the boys and reflecting, that getting drafted was one thing and then getting a game and playing finals is on another level. So it certainly is a dream come true.” Noble made his debut against West Coast in Round 17, only to be sidelined for two weeks with a calf injury. But the defender returned to fitness and form at the right time, coming back into the senior side in Round 22 and holding his spot into September. “To come into the team at an important time is something special and I just can’t wait to keep this rollercoaster going,” Noble said. “The advice from all the coaches and players has been just play to your strengths, do the basics really well and I think that’s just what I’ve based my game on to get drafted.
“So continuing to do that at the next level hasn’t really surprised me. “You’ve got so much support around you it really does make it easier.” Being a mid-season draftee presented a challenge. Noble didn’t have a full summer to get to know his new teammates and coaches. Instead, he had a matter of weeks to fit in if he wanted to play a senior game this season. “I think firstly it was about earning the respect of everyone within the club, not just the players and coaches,” Noble said.
“It was just all about making an effort. Getting to know players, asking them to catch up for a coffee. It’s as simple as that.” Out of contract at season’s end, Noble is yet to entertain talks about his future. They will happen post-season. For now, the focus is firmly on the Giants and ensuring Noble’s rollercoaster does not run off the rails before reaching the pinnacle of a Grand Final.

“They’re a tough team,” Noble said of GWS. “They certainly hit it hard last weekend and they’re a team that takes their opportunities when they’re presented so it will be a tough challenge. “I just can’t wait to get out there.”

Brodie on the set of Vikings.

Unseen footage.

9AA66D0D-0813-4800-B9E8-1651817DD0CC.jpeg

IF GREATER Western Sydney star Toby Greene successfully appeals his suspension on Thursday night, his Collingwood nemesis Brayden Maynard will dust off his little black book for some bedtime reading.

Maynard actually has five personal notebooks – one for each of his seasons at AFL level – which contain detailed handwritten notes on each of his opponents.

The hard-edged Magpie defender compiles up to two pages of intelligence on his quarry – typically small to medium forwards – beginning with his pre-game thoughts on their modus operandi after studying footage and talking to his coaches, before following it up post-game with observations on what worked and what didn't.

Maynard is more known as an instinctive doer than a considered thinker, but his footy journals have become particularly rich reference material over the past 12 months, a period in which he has collected some prized scalps, including Greene, West Coast key forward Jack Darling, Adelaide playmaker Tom Lynch and Geelong genius Gary Ablett.

"Everyone's different. Some players don't write anything down – they prefer to just memorise what they need to do – but I have to write things down in a notebook so I can go back and re-read it a couple of times before I play; and I can also go back and read it if I need to when we play that team again," Maynard, who will turn 23 on Friday, told AFL.com.au ahead of the Pies' home preliminary final against the Giants.

"I don't know what's going to happen with the match-ups this week but he's in some serious form," Maynard said.

"Last year I did my research on him and played to my strengths and got on top, and if I get the job on him this year I'll get to work and go through the same process. I'll see what he's changed in his game and tweak my game if I have to."

And if things get willing, or if the controversial Greene continues to tread a fine line, Maynard – a self-confessed sufferer of white-line fever – certainly won't take a backward step. The feisty half-back flanker with the thumping left foot also hopes to again wield his significant size advantage, with his 189cm and 90kg frame towering over Greene's 182cm and 82kg.

Why does the VFLW trophy look like something out of the 19th century? Its style looks older than the AFL (men’s) one! Surely they could have done better than that?

LOL’ed at Penny’s “You look great” at the start, cute to see the women bringing a feminine touch.

It sometimes gets a bit confusing when they refer to AFL / VFL. Sometimes they’re abbreviating the women’s comp, sometimes they’re referring to the men’s comp, and sometimes it’s not clear which one they’re referring to.
Best of luck to the girls. Have my lucky knickers on.
Go Pies! :thumbsu:

Great article from Taylor Adams on players voice

Love this quote:
"Earlier this year I agreed a new five-year deal with the Pies.

The club came to me mid-way through 2018, and said, ‘We’re looking at extending a few of our key players, where do you sit?’ I told them, ‘For a fair offer I want to stay here forever’.

The reasons go beyond the footy field."

Read more at
https://www.playersvoice.com.au/taylor-adams-power-what-we-do/

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back