News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Extension of State of Emergency really just means that, if required, the Government can enact restrictions/lockdowns within hours, not days/weeks. Right now, that’s not a bad thing.
And realistically, not going to affect our day to day life.
Its hard for us, but the world has changed and these are the things we have to accept, in the short term.

Extension of State of Emergency really just means that, if required, the Government can enact restrictions/lockdowns within hours, not days/weeks. Right now, that’s not a bad thing.
And realistically, not going to affect our day to day life.
Its hard for us, but the world has changed and these are the things we have to accept, in the short term.

Very Well Said Black_White

The state of emergency can only be declared for a six month period.

After that, the government have to request it be extended, which is what they did in September when Patten, Meddick and Ratnam shamefully sold themselves out to enable a further six month period.

They have no basis now for restricting crowd numbers, let alone in four more months.

Collingwood vice-captain Taylor Adams says he has “broken bread” with Adam Treloar over his departure from the Magpies as he shot down claims the club’s leadership group wanted the midfielder out.

Adams said he had held an “in-depth” conversation with Treloar since his shock exit from the club during a controversial trade period for the Magpies and explained his version of events.

It came as coach Nathan Buckley earlier this week denied accusations he had told Treloar the senior players had wanted him gone.

Adams said the club’s leadership group had never expressed such feelings towards Treloar, who was traded to the Western Bulldogs.

“There has obviously been confusion along the way somewhere and it was a complete misrepresentation of what we felt as leaders,” Adams said on RSN.

“At no point did I ever feel that was the feeling of what the leaders wanted and I have expressed that a number of times now and so has (coach) Nathan (Buckley)

“We are looking forward to moving on. I have spoken to ‘Adsy; in depth and we have broken bread about what my series of events are and what was reported in the media so I think he is relatively content with where that all sits.

Adams said the trade period had been a “really tough time” for a lot of people at the club and he had sought to get an understanding of what the club was “trying to achieve”.

“I think what we did really well is leaders of the football club, the leadership group, we were in constant communication with each other and tried to be across everything as much as we possibly could and support each other through what was a really tough time,” Adams said.

“Everyone has their own relationships with individual people that were traded or delisted or retired so people react differently to these player movements.

“I think the way that I tried to stay connected with the group was just to touch base with the guys that I knew that were probably also affected.

“We tried to get an understanding of what the club was trying to achieve and there were a few agendas there, we obviously wanted to bring in some youth and we obviously had that pressure of the salary cap that needed to be rectified.

“So the club has made some really tough and difficult decisions and our list management has the full faith of the playing group and us as leaders and I’m glad that the process is now over, we can now move on and project forward and look forward to 2021.

“After speaking to all of the guys that left the club to go pursue careers elsewhere, I think they see the same thing, an opportunity that they can move on and make the best of the situation that now is.”

Bucks was the Main Person who wanted Treloar Gone
Bucks had to say and do what was best for the club. Even if it meant it wasn't true..

But given this... I think its interesting. I think there is some grey area here. Maybe its not what they said, but I don't think they are too unhappy Treloar is gone IMO. Read between the lines of what Adams said

Bucks had to say and do what was best for the club. Even if it meant it wasn't true..

But given this... I think its interesting. I think there is some grey area here. Maybe its not what they said, but I don't think they are too unhappy Treloar is gone IMO. Read between the lines of what Adams said
I can't find much between the lines. The lines themselves just seem to be stating the salary cap reason and the need for youth (so why Stepho and Atu?) for cutting the players adrift but otherwise there seemed to be a suggestion that the leadership's views were misrepresented.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't find much between the lines. The lines themselves just seem to be stating the salary cap reason and the need for youth (so why Stepho and Atu?) for cutting the players adrift but otherwise there seemed to be a suggestion that the leadership's views were misrepresented.
The between the lines in what Adams said is basically that the playing group, whilst they like Treloar, arent necissiarly upset that hes gone for the betterment of the footy club.

Its nothing personal.

The between the lines in what Adams said is basically that the playing group, whilst they like Treloar, arent necissiarly upset that hes gone for the betterment of the footy club.

Its nothing personal.

Just Business even IF it was Terrible Business by the Club

Just Business even IF it was Terrible Business by the Club
We won’t know the outcomes of the decision for years to come.
You can have your knee jerk reactions, I’ll judge the club when we can assess the output of the players we have brought in vs the player that left. I highly doubt all three (excluding Atu) will be playing AFL in three years time

Gee... reading between the lines:
"the club has f*cked this up, so I'd also like an explanation of whats going on really - but of course as part of the leadership group, I stand by their decisions. Especially knowing the sh*tty TPP situation we now find ourselves in. & to be clear, none of the playing group had anything to do with this, so we have stayed tight, and would not like to be associated with any of the decision making, poor comms & mistreatment of players during this whole process."

& Eddie - dont blame Treloar's contract and the poor management of trades / players by he club on Trade Radio. Massive copout. He should know more than anyone that if an AFL club f*cks up something as much as we did, the Media are going to be all over it. That's how you launched your career Ed.

& Walshy - how stupid do you think we are? "paying part of a players salary when traded is part of the rules ... and wasn't unexpected." Hold on... so when we entered into a long term contract with Treloar, we always expected this to happen? You're avoiding one large part of this... the club f*cked up signing a long term contract with someone that the same administration then wanted to get rid of so badly - & not long after - that we are willing to pay $1m - $1.5m for him to play against us. This club's exec are so far down a rabbit hole with their culture & comms that they must believe their own spin. Sadly that is the culture of Eddie, just like Andy D... never admit you're wrong, and twist every story to protect the club, and more importantly... his administration.

Last edited:
I don’t think the club believes it’s own spin. I think they know damn well it’s spin, but they also know that 90% of the fan base will buy it.

I'm glad Ed's going with this nonsense getting pushed. Ed's done a lot of good things as club president but he's alway's kept supporters at arms length. I reckon Ed sees supporters as somethimg that needs to be managed and contained. You see that in how the cheer squad has been treated. You see that in how controlled the information is that is provided to supporters. And you see it in the spin this off season. I resent getting treated like a moron by the club.

I'm glad Ed's going with this nonsense getting pushed. Ed's done a lot of good things as club president but he's alway's kept supporters at arms length. I reckon Ed sees supporters as somethimg that needs to be managed and contained. You see that in how the cheer squad has been treated. You see that in how controlled the information is that is provided to supporters. And you see it in the spin this off season. I resent getting treated like a moron by the club.
Well they effectively run the club like a political party. It’s all information control and spin doctoring. You can see through it but many of the fans can’t because they are blinded by their rusted on loyalty.

From the article:

“McHale enforced this ideology, just as Lombardi did, by exercising a level of control that would be impossible today. He insisted that every member of his team, no matter how talented, be paid the same wage.

I'm not so certain it is impossible today, that would incline that players and more broadly professional sports people priorities are first and foremost, money.

If we look more closely at the dynastic teams (in AFL terms), certainly in this century, they sacrificed for the betterment of the team. If you look at our own team of 2010 - 11 it was clear that team came first and wage came second - visually so!

Every players dream is to be a premiership player, money comes second.

Maybe not so much 'wage' but I'm willing to bet that someone like Tay would happily accept less pay for a better chance of ultimate team success. It's that sort of culture that brings success. Look at the mob over the railway line, more than certain below their blue chip players would be on less money than ours yet are more than happy with 3 of the last 4 flags and their performances is evidence as much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back