News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

About the kids.

Collingwood went all in on a bunch of talented kids when it turfed Jaidyn Stephenson, Adam Treloar and Tom Phillips in a salary cap purge last year, snaring three consecutive picks in the late teens of the national draft.
Collingwood forwards coach Hayden Skipworth, elevated from a development coach last year, runs the line through the Pies’ batch of emerging young kids.

OLLIE HENRY

Pick 17, an agile mid-sized forward

KFC SuperCoach price: $135,300 FWD

“He is a jack in the box. He has good speed, good spring, he can play high, he can play deep. He is a real X factor player for us in front of the ball.

“Some of the stuff he has done in training has been amazing, he sits on a guy’s head or breaks into space or gets the ball over the back. He can do a bit of everything.

“If he can play deeper at times different guys can play higher up the ground. He will predominantly play forward this year, I would imagine. He has scope to push up onto a wing, but we are really happy with the way he has applied himself with his discipline to role and structure. The recruiters were rapt that he got through to that pick.”

REEF McINNES

Pick 18, combined the fastest sprint time with the slowest time-trial mark but has huge upside as a dangerous midfielder.

KFC SuperCoach price: $117,300 MID

“He has a finger tendon injury, so he is focusing on the things he can do. Part of that is building his tank. He has had (Irish full-back) Mark Keane to train with, who did his finger the week before. Both of them have the same injury so they have trained well together.

“He is going to be a really good player. He was training with the mids before he got hurt and there were glimpses of what all the excitement was about. We won’t rush him but we were really happy with how he was tracking.

“He runs good patterns in transition, he knows where to go and his stoppage stuff was improving, so he’s been working really hard with (development coach) Scott Selwood.”

FINN MACRAE

Pick 19, another quality midfielder in the mould of his brother Jack, a Western Bulldogs star.

KFC SuperCoach price: $126,300 FWD/MID

“He has been going really well. He is impressive in transition. He works really hard up and back and has good skills on both sides.

“He has played mainly midfield with a little bit of high half-forward in the pre-season and he was unlucky to miss last week in the scratch match in Geelong and then against Richmond.

“If we had a third practice game, he would have been in that mix.

“He has been tracking really well, so if he keeps progressing the way he is you can see he could make an early debut.”

CALEB POULTER

Pick 30, a 192cm onballer who opens up games with his excellent disposal but can also play inside.

KFC SuperCoach price: $117,300 MID/FWD

“He is a left-footed rangy medium-sized midfielder whose ball use is also good. He is tracking really well.

“We think he can play half-back or wing. He has great ball use which will help our offence but he’s still learning our structures. He moved interstate (from SA) but he’s settled in well and on track.”

ISAAC CHUGG

Pick 28, rookie draft, one of only a handful of Tasmanians selected is a hard-running outside midfielder with good speed. The Tigers were also keen on him before the Pies pounced.

KFC SuperCoach price: $102,400 DEF/FWD

“Isaac has had a few little niggles of late which cost him the Geelong game and Richmond game, but he has competitiveness and good closing speed and his defensive actions are really good so he has been pushing his name forward. We are rapt with his progress.”

JOSH DAICOS

Pick 57 (father-son), 2016 draft, on his way to stardom having become a full-blown midfielder in the past 12 months

KFC SuperCoach price: $442,200 MID

“Daics is the same as Isaac Quaynor, he really had a breakout year last season on the wing.

“He will be spending some time as an inside mid and forward, so he has probably got three roles he can go through to have an impact.

“With his skill level and craft and even his stuff around goals, he just gets shots away and finishes well, so he’s really important for us. One of those guys who if we can get a lot of ball in his hands he is so creative and dynamic.

“He will be one of those guys who alongside Jordan De goey will get more game time in there (centre square) now (with Adam Treloar gone). Jordy is going to spend more time in there than he has previously. He used to play centre bounce and then drift forward. But he will be playing more as a mainstay mid who goes forward, so they will take up some of those minutes.”

WILL KELLY

Pick 29 (father-son), 2018 draft, broke his collarbone on Friday night after a strong summer but could be a future star as a Pies father-son.

KFC SuperCoach price: $135,400 FWD

“He just works hard. He competes well and we are working on him reading cues and reading the patterns as a key-position forward.

“He is finding more ball as he is learning the craft and his cue reading has gone through the roof. He will be a really good player for us in years to come.”

TREY RUSCOE

Pick 55, 2019 national draft, arrived at the club as a tall defender but instead kicked 5.4 from four games in his debut season.

KFC SuperCoach price: $206,800 FWD

“We started Trey in the backline last year and then with his footy traits we pushed him forward because he just had a natural instinct around goal. He has some really good timing on his leading patterns.

“He has trained there all pre-season and kicked two goals against Geelong. He can play tall or small and we are really happy with how he’s tracking.

“He has played back and even spent a bit of time on the wing, so he’s played on all three lines, but we are looking to settle him down as a forward.”

JAY RANTALL

Pick 40, 2019 national draft after switching to football from basketball.

FC SuperCoach price: $123,900 MID

“Jay is going well. He is a big endurance beast. He mainly played midfield last year and he didn’t debut but in the practice games we played with other clubs he did really well.

“He is one of the hardest working guys at his game. He is working on his body and skill work and has played a little bit of forward along with the midfield and has even spent some time out on the wings to be a real transition-running winger.

“So he has got three spots to play in and he is working hard on them. He is working so hard on his game, so hopefully he gets his opportunity this year.

ISAAC QUAYNOR

Pick 13, 2019 draft, the Oakleigh NGA small defender has played 15 games in his first two seasons as a rebounding backman.

KFC SuperCoach price: $405,300 DEF

“Isaac really came on last year and he definitely cemented himself in the back six.

“He has done much of the same things this pre-season but he has also added intercept marking to his game, which we didn’t see last year.

“He is a great defensive player who can lock down on his man, but he also has run and carry. So having worked really hard, hopefully he can be a genuine intercept-marking player as well.”

CALLUM BROWN

Pick 35 (father-son), 2016 draft. The son of club legend Gavin Brown has played 49 games in four seasons.

KFC SuperCoach price: $349,600 FWD

“Cal has probably spent most of his time as a forward but this year he has trained a bit more with the midfielders, similar to Jordan De Goey and Jamie Elliott. He will get a bit more midfield time than in previous years.

“He is going well, he is dynamic and has speed around the contest and he can put good pressure on. So with the low rotations in games this year there are guys who will tend to tire and the game will open up. I can really see him getting through the contest and out of the contest with his speed and agility.”

TYLER BROWN

Pick 50 (father-son), 2017 draft, played all of his nine games with the Pies last year.

KFC SuperCoach price: $311,000 MID

“He is spending more time on a wing this year than in previous years. So he’s been doing a little bit of the inside stuff with the mids, but also playing on the wing with a real diligence about playing that role.

“He sets up well for us. He has put on size and strength, he has really filled out, that has been his focus over the off-season so he can be in the contest when he’s around the stoppage.

“We are hoping for a big year from him, him and Cal have put in a mountain of work over the summer.”

Hi all, long time no post. I listened to the Bucks podcast the other day and decided to take notes just to prevent me day dreaming through a 45 min audio clip. Since they seem to be drip feeding all the talking points in individual articles i thought I'd just share my notes for anyone that doesn't have the time/inclination to listen to the whole thing.

On Do Better report:
  • Bucks didn't see report until after it was leaked
  • Upsets Bucks at how people (Lumumba, krakouer, leon) feel about their time at the club
  • acknowledges a dismissiveness re:lumumba in a 2017 presser, now understands how this contributes to systemic racism
On coaching deal:
  • Will sit down and discuss with ceo and wright, likely to be later in the year rather than earlier
  • conversation to be held in good faith-focussed on who is best for the job/club, Bucks willing to stand aside if consensus is not him
  • Club has to come first
Expectations for the year:
  • Club is understanding we lost players without replacing experience
  • Bucks happy with crop of new players, but wary not to expect wonders from first year players
  • Expectation is ultimately to 'qualify well for finals and contend'
On G Wright:
  • Bit of joking around *that* game when Bucks was at the bears-jokes he only got a kick when he went forward on craig kelly (now bucks manager and good friend)
  • After playing together for 4/5 years hasn't had much to do with him in last 15 years or so
  • Still getting a lay of the land but Bucks has noticed a real calmness, strong in opinions and perspectives of how footy department should be set up and run
On Trade Period:
  • End of last season bizarre, eg. copeland at lunch in shorts, had to be out of hub 48 hrs after loss
  • 'absolutely' salary cap was driver behind 'tough' decisions
  • Bucks hopes players do well, Phillips came to intraclub, hasn't reconnected with Treloar but hopes to post rd 1
  • Bucks' believes he supports the personal, challenges the professional, makes comparison with how news was received by the 2
  • Believe there is now financial scope to attract players to club
  • Asked on Z Merrett interest: "a lot of conversations happen...need to happen through proper channels ie agents... if we find someone we believe can make a real difference we'd be negligent not to follow through"
On the team and game style for 2021:
  • Strong defence traditionally hallmark of best teams
  • From scout reports believes that other sides have spent a lot of time training offence this year
  • Notes that we want to be aggressive offensively... off the back of strong defence
  • Grundy: exceptional player, struggled by own admission last year, little tweaks in set up will make his job more impactful
  • De Goey: Trained really well, clearly got fit, claims injury niggles were 'good taper periods for him', expect 50/50 fwd/mid split, but jordy wants to be a mid and bucks says this is the first year he's put the work in to earn that
  • Howe: Significant injury, still to be rebuilding through first part of year but an exceptional player even at 90%
  • Adams: Expects him to be up and about for rd 1, reflects on his development since coming to club
  • Henry: gave non-committal answer and basically mentioned all first years as going well
  • Murphy: has treaded water since 18, been good on wing.
  • Wing spots mentioned as up for grabs but then Bucks spoke a lot about Mayne, who would say "it's not about star power it's about impact", mayne makes players around him better. Clearly loves Mayney.
  • Chugg: Was calling him Isaac Chuck for a bit after a few spews early in sessions, genuinely tough player, "a beauty"
On N Daicos:
  • Bucks wary of burdening him with comparisons or too much praise, mentioned T Brown/Fyfe comparisons-"they probably don't need that mantle"
  • He and Dib training once a week, both good kids keen to front up and learn, an attitude appreciated by coaching staff
  • No disputing his absolute talent-quick, strong, low to the ground (the daicos trait), powerful, good on both feet
  • "wouldn't be far away" from getting a game in rd 1
  • Mentions that along with Josh his love for the game is clear, credits Peter for this
Sorry for the long post, hopefully my note style makes sense to people that aren't me and somebody gets some benefit from it.

Congrats to Scotty Selwood:

Collingwood Development Coach, Scott Selwood was announced as the winner of the sixth Phil Walsh Memorial Scholarship, at the AFL Coaches Association AGM in Melbourne on Wednesday.

Selwood, who is in his second year as a Development Coach at the Magpies, was awarded the scholarship based on his commitment to his career and personal development and on the job training. He has completed a Bachelor of Commerce from Curtin University and the AFLCA’s Next Coach Program, whilst currently studying a Masters of Sports Coaching at University of QLD and completing his Level 3 Coaching Accreditation.

Before joining the Pies in October 2019, Selwood spent twelve seasons playing at the West Coast Eagles and Geelong which included 169 games and winning the 2012 John Worsfold Medal at the Eagles. Selwood was coached by Phil Walsh for five years at West Coast, making this scholarship even more special.

The Phil Walsh Memorial Scholarship was created following his tragic death in July 2015. The winner receives a $10,000 prize, to help fund travel and study costs and follow the example Phil set during his coaching career.

AFL Coaches Association CEO Mark Brayshaw reflected on the impact Phil Walsh made to football and coaching.

“Announcing each year’s winner of the Phil Walsh Memorial Scholarship is an important highlight in the Coaches Association’s annual calendar. Phil’s pathway to coaching the Crows was characterised by relentless curiosity, which included overseas travel and formal study. We are thrilled that Scott Selwood is this year’s winner and encourage him to do his best to emulate Phil’s example,” Brayshaw said.

Having witnessed Phil’s work first hand, Selwood was honoured to be accepting the Phil Walsh Memorial Scholarship.

“I’m really proud and honoured to receive the scholarship. I have been very fortunate as a player to be surrounded by a lot of great people and Phil was one of those. I was lucky enough to spend a number of years with Phil at West Coast and saw his drive and passion for the game. Phil was constantly trying to get the best out of himself to better those around him through travel, studying and learning off other great coaches in different sports, which is what I am looking forward to do with this scholarship. I am grateful for the Collingwood Football Club who are giving me the opportunity to follow my passion and to work, and learn from some great coaches,” Selwood said.

My favorite bit from Gerard:
"Has there ever been a Rising Star leave the club within three years of winning it? That’s just extraordinary. I’m not sure what the hell went on there."

Let me think Gerard, maybe the coach who traded him?
There have been numerous Rising Stars that have left within 5 years of kicking off. Stephenson was a pretty rare case, but it's not like the Rising Star always sticks around

Hi all, long time no post. I listened to the Bucks podcast the other day and decided to take notes just to prevent me day dreaming through a 45 min audio clip. Since they seem to be drip feeding all the talking points in individual articles i thought I'd just share my notes for anyone that doesn't have the time/inclination to listen to the whole thing.

On Do Better report:
  • Bucks didn't see report until after it was leaked
  • Upsets Bucks at how people (Lumumba, krakouer, leon) feel about their time at the club
  • acknowledges a dismissiveness re:lumumba in a 2017 presser, now understands how this contributes to systemic racism
On coaching deal:
  • Will sit down and discuss with ceo and wright, likely to be later in the year rather than earlier
  • conversation to be held in good faith-focussed on who is best for the job/club, Bucks willing to stand aside if consensus is not him
  • Club has to come first
Expectations for the year:
  • Club is understanding we lost players without replacing experience
  • Bucks happy with crop of new players, but wary not to expect wonders from first year players
  • Expectation is ultimately to 'qualify well for finals and contend'
On G Wright:
  • Bit of joking around *that* game when Bucks was at the bears-jokes he only got a kick when he went forward on craig kelly (now bucks manager and good friend)
  • After playing together for 4/5 years hasn't had much to do with him in last 15 years or so
  • Still getting a lay of the land but Bucks has noticed a real calmness, strong in opinions and perspectives of how footy department should be set up and run
On Trade Period:
  • End of last season bizarre, eg. copeland at lunch in shorts, had to be out of hub 48 hrs after loss
  • 'absolutely' salary cap was driver behind 'tough' decisions
  • Bucks hopes players do well, Phillips came to intraclub, hasn't reconnected with Treloar but hopes to post rd 1
  • Bucks' believes he supports the personal, challenges the professional, makes comparison with how news was received by the 2
  • Believe there is now financial scope to attract players to club
  • Asked on Z Merrett interest: "a lot of conversations happen...need to happen through proper channels ie agents... if we find someone we believe can make a real difference we'd be negligent not to follow through"
On the team and game style for 2021:
  • Strong defence traditionally hallmark of best teams
  • From scout reports believes that other sides have spent a lot of time training offence this year
  • Notes that we want to be aggressive offensively... off the back of strong defence
  • Grundy: exceptional player, struggled by own admission last year, little tweaks in set up will make his job more impactful
  • De Goey: Trained really well, clearly got fit, claims injury niggles were 'good taper periods for him', expect 50/50 fwd/mid split, but jordy wants to be a mid and bucks says this is the first year he's put the work in to earn that
  • Howe: Significant injury, still to be rebuilding through first part of year but an exceptional player even at 90%
  • Adams: Expects him to be up and about for rd 1, reflects on his development since coming to club
  • Henry: gave non-committal answer and basically mentioned all first years as going well
  • Murphy: has treaded water since 18, been good on wing.
  • Wing spots mentioned as up for grabs but then Bucks spoke a lot about Mayne, who would say "it's not about star power it's about impact", mayne makes players around him better. Clearly loves Mayney.
  • Chugg: Was calling him Isaac Chuck for a bit after a few spews early in sessions, genuinely tough player, "a beauty"
On N Daicos:
  • Bucks wary of burdening him with comparisons or too much praise, mentioned T Brown/Fyfe comparisons-"they probably don't need that mantle"
  • He and Dib training once a week, both good kids keen to front up and learn, an attitude appreciated by coaching staff
  • No disputing his absolute talent-quick, strong, low to the ground (the daicos trait), powerful, good on both feet
  • "wouldn't be far away" from getting a game in rd 1
  • Mentions that along with Josh his love for the game is clear, credits Peter for this
Sorry for the long post, hopefully my note style makes sense to people that aren't me and somebody gets some benefit from it.
Don't apologize, quicker read than 45 minutes listening..Appreciated thx

My favorite bit from Gerard:
"Has there ever been a Rising Star leave the club within three years of winning it? That’s just extraordinary. I’m not sure what the hell went on there."

Let me think Gerard, maybe the coach who traded him?
Phillip Walsh left after his 1st year.
“He played every game of the 1983 season and was considered the league’s best first-year player”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillip Walsh left after his 1st year.
He played every game of the 1983 season and was considered the league’s best first-year player.

Don’t remind me. I was greatly upset at the time. But that was pre-rising star. Bucks was the first. And the first to leave!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have them as Premiers. Have great depth on their list, particularly adding Orazio and Alir Alir. Excellent midfield and backline, with real potency up forward. Great balance for a potential premier...
Premiers, don`t think so , played the whole of 2019 pretty much on their own dung hill and still did not make the GF , will be pushing it up hill this year , am thinking 4th to 6th best list at the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back