News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Or if we are in a need of another ruck right now.
Lynch will surely be gone at the end of the year. Cox plays kpf - we can't really afford to play him as first ruck. Cameron is back up to both of them. Another young ruck next year is the way to go I reckon.

Collingwood has assembled one of the AFL’s best bunch of teenagers but boring ball movement has dropped the Magpies from premiership fancies to flops, according to a former club recruiter.
Matthew Rendell said their “slow, methodical and conservative” game style had “killed the forwards” since the Magpies stormed into the 2018 Grand Final.

But Rendell, who worked at Collingwood from 2012-2020, said a super 2020 draft for the under-siege Pies could provide five of their best 22 players by 2023.

Rendell said top pick Oliver Henry (No. 17) played in the mould of Geelong’s triple-premiership champion Steve Johnson.

He ranked outside midfielder Finlay Macrae, who will make his AFL debut against West Coast on Friday night, the eighth-best player in last year’s draft – 11 places before he was taken.

“And I reckon they’ve got two of the best young key backs in the comp in (Will) Kelly and (Mark) Keane,” Rendell told the Herald Sun.

The Pies ranked No. 3 in attack in 2018 as Jordan De Goey (48 goals), Will Hoskin-Elliott (42), Jaidyn Stephenson (38), Josh Thomas (38), Brody Mihocek (29) and Mason Cox (25) clicked.

But they ranked 13th last year and have dropped to 16th this season.

“Too many of their forwards have just gone backwards because of the way they play,” Rendell said.

“In 2018 it was off the back of one thing: they took the game on and went quick.

“If you want examples, the final last year against West Coast they took the game on and De Goey cut them to ribbons.

“Then they go slow. They go quick against Carlton and they look dangerous again, then they go slow.

“You’d think the penny would drop, wouldn’t you.”

Collingwood premiership coach Michael Malthouse said Buckley must swing Darcy Moore forward and play Brodie Grundy out of the goalsquare at times to kick a winning score.

Darcy Moore can be a match-winner forward of centre. Do you want him to save the game or do you want him to win the game?” Malthouse said.

“He marks everything and he’s a very accurate kick. It’s like having the best soccer side but no striker – you don’t win.”

The Magpies did not replace gun midfielder Adam Treloar after last year’s tumultuous trade period, and still covers $300,000 of his yearly salary to play for the Bulldogs.

Rendell said dropped onballer Tyler Brown should play every week and floated wingman Josh Daicos as a possible game-changer in the centre.

But Rendell said too many kids “have lost their way”.

Clearance beast Brayden Sier has not sustained his 12-game charge in 2018 while Nathan Murphy has not been sighted in three years.

Rendell said Sier must remain in the 22 with Taylor Adams (knee) injured.

Murphy is due to return from concussion in the VFL this week. Rendell described Jay Rantall as a “running machine” and said Kelly could star at either end.

Buckley admitted after Saturday’s shock loss to Greater Wesetern Sydney that they needed to review their game plan.

The Magpies’ mark-and-play-on percentage is ranked 17th in the league while they are ranked 14th for territory and they scored from just 28.8 per cent of inside 50s against the Giants — the third-worst percentage recorded this season.

RENDELL ON COLLINGWOOD’S YOUNGSTERS
MARK KEANE, 21 (Category B rookie, Ireland)

194cm def, Games 1

“I’ve got really high hopes for him playing as a key back. You were sort of hoping that if he got up and played he could release Darcy (Moore) out of there. He’s super competitive, he’s got really good composure ball in hand – he doesn’t get flustered – but he just needs a season to play back there. Not on the best (key forwards), but on the second-best ones. He’s really good athletically. He never worries about getting pinged or anything like that.”

WILL KELLY, 20 (No. 19 in 2018 draft)

194cm def/fwd, Games 1

Will Kelly could be a super key back. I know Kelly played forward, but I’ve seen him play juniors as a very, very good defender – more of a lockdown. I think he could go forward or back.”

FINLAY MACRAE, 19 (No. 19 in 2020 draft)

187cm mid, Games 0 *Will make his debut on Friday

“I had Finlay Macrae at No. 8 (in last year’s draft). He was a good pick by them, I think he’s going to be a really good player. He’s left and right – dual-sided – and not super athletic, but just reads it very well and uses the ball very well. He’s not manic, just a very, very intelligent midfielder.”

Trey Ruscoe has played six career games so far. Picture: Michael Klein

Trey Ruscoe has played six career games so far. Picture: Michael Klein
TREY RUSCOE, 19 (No. 55 in 2019 draft)

193cm fwd, Games 6

“I know they’ve played him as a forward, but he was a defender – and he looked a good one to me. But the defence has been a rock-solid back seven, so they found him a spot in the forward line, but not quite. I think he’s going to be a good player for them.”

TRENT BIANCO, 20 (No. 45 in 2019 draft)

188cm mid, Games 0

“He’s a dual-sided winger. I liked him as a junior, so be patient. He’s a lot like (Round 4 Rising Star) Lachie Sholl from Adelaide. He’s a smart player who uses the ball really well.”

OLIVER HENRY, 18 (No. 17 in 2020 draft)

189cm fwd, Games 1

“Henry’s going to be a really good player for them. You can’t go off that one game at the start of the year. He’s got a lot of Stevie J about him – footy smarts, kicks goals in lots of different ways, marks the ball and is good on the ground. He’ll play that hybrid up-the-ground (and) deep forward-type role. He’ll cause some headaches.”

TYLER BROWN, 21 (No. 50 in 2017 draft)

192cm mid, Games 12

“I really like Tyler Brown, I was disappointed they dropped him last week. You’ve just got to play Tyler Brown. I’d just be playing him in the middle and (saying), ‘Tyler, go for your life’ instead of stuffing around on a wing. I’d be getting Tyler back in and playing him every game for the year.”

[PLAYERCARD]Nathan Murphy[/PLAYERCARD] has been on the cusp of senior selection. Picture: Michael Klein

Nathan Murphy has been on the cusp of senior selection. Picture: Michael Klein
[PLAYERCARD]Tyler Brown[/PLAYERCARD] was dropped after the loss to Brisbane. Picture: Michael Klein

Tyler Brown was dropped after the loss to Brisbane. Picture: Michael Klein
NATHAN MURPHY, 21 (No. 39 in 2017 draft)

192cm fwd, Games 2

“I’d love to see him play as a third tall forward along with (Mason) Cox and (Brody) Mihocek and (Jordan) De Goey. We were going to take Murphy at No. 6 if (Jaidyn) Stephenson was gone, and he ended up being there at No. 39. He’s 21, he’s a late birthday (December 15). I’d like to see him get a go and just leave him in.”

LIAM McMAHON, 19 (No. 31, 2020 draft)

197cm fwd, Games 0

“A lead-up key forward who is a beautiful field kick and kick for goal. The way the game is played now is perfect for him and (Poulter) with a bit of space.”

CALEB POULTER, 18 (No. 30, 2020 draft)

193cm fwd, Games 0

“A left-footer and smooth-moving third tall. He looked good in 2019 and has improved again. He was a sneaky, good pick at No. 30.”

… AND THE NEXT ONE IN

NICK DAICOS (Likely No. 1 pick as a father-son in 2021)

“I saw him play with (Matthew) Rowell and (Noah) Anderson and he was as good as them on the day – and he was three years younger. He’s got some tricks in the bag, he kicks goals, he’s a natural drawer of the ball, he’s always in the right spot at the right time, he uses it really well, he’s got good composure and he kicks goals no matter where he is. He’s a similar build to his old man. He doesn’t have to think about it – he’s in the right place at the right time all the time. He never looks knackered. When he learns to actually extend himself as far as his running capabilities he’s just going to rack them up.”

Nick Daicos is the son of Peter Daicos and brother of Magpie [PLAYERCARD]Josh Daicos[/PLAYERCARD]. Picture: Alex Coppel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
For the record I am a massive fan of our youth prospects. But its hard for me to take anything Rendell says about them as objective given his role as a recruiter in the 2018 and 2019 drafts, and his legacy would have had a massive impact on our 2020 draft rankings.

I really hope he is right but its hard for me to look past the fact that his reputation as a recruiter is definitely linked to how good our last 3 drafts are.

Ed just tore a new one on Sammy McClure on Footy Classified, after McClure called Collingwood a debacle.....lol

Yeah, saw that. The show should be called Ed Classified. Ed is still a douche. Doesn’t want to admit how much of a shambles we were during the trade period. Need I remind Ed that we are still paying a percentage of Treloar’s salary.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah, saw that. The show should be called Ed Classified. Ed is still a douche. Doesn’t want to admit how much of a shambles we were during the trade period. Need I remind Ed that we are still paying a percentage of Treloar’s salary.

At least McGuire showed some fight. Where’s that been recently from club admin? Relentless media criticism and not a peep.

There’s a time to keep quiet, but I think we should have came harder recently.

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
Couldn't agree more. Time for change, and l am really hoping Bucks is taking note, and considering some of these moves.....

Mick McGuane: Nathan Buckley needs to reinvent himself and the Collingwood game plan

Collingwood, it’s time to buck the system.
It is far from panic stations yet, but Friday night is the time to earn back the Magpie identity.
Firstly, it involves being aggressive in the contest and manic with pressure.

The other key shift needed is from the coaches’ box. Come on, Bucks, stop the rot.
It is time to bring your creative footy mind to the team.
You were a champion player who could read trends on the field and respond to situations as they unfolded.
Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Now you must express that risk-taking dare through your players. Because you have become too reliant on your system.
A strong argument can be mounted that your reluctance to change personnel within this system and during a match has stopped the side winning games from behind.

A great example of this is the 2019 preliminary final loss to Greater Western Sydney.

Nathan Buckley needs to change the way his team is structured, says Mick McGuane. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Nathan Buckley needs to change the way his team is structured, says Mick McGuane. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

There is no point being stubborn about player movement when the system is failing and the team is four or five goals down.
On top of this, I would hope your loyal assistants can find the courage and strength to seriously challenge you when things are slipping away during a game.
Bucks, get back to being you.

Stop being too conservative, back your gut feel more often and come to realise that you are at your best when your instincts control your next decision.
I’m currently not seeing that in your coaching. It’s sterile and predictable.
Above all, it lacks imagination.
I’ve seriously believed in you along the journey but now more than ever, is the time to revert to being a more “sense the occasion” coach.
The players will be stimulated through your will and want to change things up.
Here are some suggestions to help you retake control:

1. Drop Cox
Collingwood loses far too many one-on-one battles in the forward line.
So starting this week, take some risks with positional changes and make some hard calls.
Don’t be accepting of players that are consistently letting critical opportunities slip but still gifted games the following week.
So drop Mason Cox – he is not delivering in his primary role.
He has lost 63 per cent of the 16 one-on-ones he has contested. Cox is tall, mostly plays in front and as a result gets his hands on the ball a lot but doesn’t always complete the mark.
The time has come to at least try [PLAYERCARD]Darcy Moore[/PLAYERCARD] up forward in 2021. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

The time has come to at least try Darcy Moore up forward in 2021. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

2. Swing Moore into attack
In Collingwood’s past two games it has registered only 13 marks from 105 Inside 50s.
So why not throw Darcy Moore forward?
Have a look at Brody Mihocek playing alongside another teammate that turns 50/50 opportunities into wins.
Moore has received plaudits for his intercept ability down back and rightfully so, but that alone doesn’t allow him to escape criticism.
He has conceded 34 marks and 42 uncontested possessions to his match-up – both being the most of any key defender.
Even those returns can be a reflection of the team’s lack of pressure up the ground, but it might also be Moore subconsciously saying: “I need a change, swing me forward”.
[PLAYERCARD]Jordan De Goey[/PLAYERCARD] needs more space to work with up forward. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Jordan De Goey needs more space to work with up forward. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

3. Get De Goey one-out
Jordan De Goey will be the one who will benefit most with greater movement around him.
He is the Pies’ best one-on-one forward, yet clearly doesn’t get used enough to exhibit his combination of speed, strength, skill and uncanny goal sense.
It’s incomprehensible that he has only been involved in seven one-on-one contests this year. Better isolation and separation against Brad Sheppard is a must.
[PLAYERCARD]Darcy Cameron[/PLAYERCARD] could slot into a ruck/forward role nicely. Picture: Getty Images

Darcy Cameron could slot into a ruck/forward role nicely. Picture: Getty Images

4. Mix up the rucks
Darcy Cameron is another obvious candidate to play as a key forward but also as a relief ruckman, as he was so important against Nic Naitanui in last year’ final.

5. Luck of the Irish
Bring Mark Keane in to play in defence.
He made his debut against Fremantle and started on Rory Lobb so why not pick him to play for Oscar Allen.
If it’s not him, bring Will Kelly into the team. Kelly is a competitive beast.
I know he is preparing to be a forward but don’t underestimate his abilities as a defender.
His father, Craig, was a premiership defender and his brother plays an important defensive role at the Crows.
The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
Callum Brown could make an excellent small defender. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Callum Brown could make an excellent small defender. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

6. Be bold with Brown
Why not reinvent Callum Brown as a small defender?
He is bred to fight and scrap and he will make it hard for any opposition small forward he comes up against.
As a small forward he has only kicked three behinds from four games this year – yet he has applied 13 tackles.
Is he thinking too much about defence in an area that should be his second thought?
That’s why his attacking flair is currently lost.
He has only kicked 19 goals from his 53 career games.

7. Switch Noble’s role
Josh Thomas this year has kicked 2.3 from his four games.
He is miles away from the opportunistic small pressure forward he was in 2018 and 2019, when he kicked 60 from his 48 games in that period.
The other thought is to flip John Noble to be a small pressure forward.
Why not have a look at him there?
Can he bring some goalkicking nous to a forward line desperate for a fresh look?

8. Tag Tim Kelly
Levi Greenwood must play to tag Tim Kelly on Friday night, considering Luke Shuey and Elliot Yeo are not in the Eagles’ midfield.
He is task orientated and brings a defensive edge and hardness to the group.
He will be strong in the contest and apply great pressure. So it’s a no-brainer.
[PLAYERCARD]Tyler Brown[/PLAYERCARD] has the tools to become a solid inside-mid. Picture: AAP Image/Michael Dodge

Tyler Brown has the tools to become a solid inside-mid. Picture: AAP Image/Michael Dodge

9. Bolster the midfield
Get Tyler Brown to play as an inside-mid, not necessarily on Friday night, but in future planning. Using him on the outside is not his go.
His bodywork and discipline on Patrick Cripps at stoppages last year was a great example of that.

10. Move the veterans around
Throw Steele Sidebottom or Scott Pendlebury back at times to be a part of your back six.
Ball use and a lack of composure is hurting the team too often and some of the culprits that give the ball back too easily might benefit having your leaders behind the ball to lead the way with effective counter attack ball use.
That would bring a sense of ball security to an area that’s impossible to defend D50 turnovers. And isn’t that currently hurting the team?
[PLAYERCARD]Josh Daicos[/PLAYERCARD] is deadly around goal, but his silky foot skills should be used to hit up leading forwards more often. Picture: Michael Klein

Josh Daicos is deadly around goal, but his silky foot skills should be used to hit up leading forwards more often. Picture: Michael Klein

11. Use Daicos’ elite skills
Push Josh Daicos back to his wing role to ensure there is better ball use going forward between the arcs.
His tram track running on his wing last year was outstanding.
He pushes back hard to support defence or to be an exit option to start an offensive move.
He knows when to push forward and kick a critical goal.

12. Let Quaynor use his speed
Isaac Quaynor was good as a deep hybrid defender until last week.
He was outclassed by Toby Greene. Swap Brayden Maynard to that role and allow Quaynor to bring some bounce and overlap so speed on the game becomes more of a constant. Collingwood’s mark-and-play-on percentage is 17th in the AFL, so more risk is required.
Free Quaynor up and allow his free spirit to become a part of the game.
He looks inhibited deep and a reluctant runner to join in with offence.
[PLAYERCARD]Jack Crisp[/PLAYERCARD] could do with more midfield time. Picture: Michael Klein

Jack Crisp could do with more midfield time. Picture: Michael Klein

13. Don’t leave Jack down back
Jack Crisp must play midfield more often. He has become a very consistent player irrespective of his role. He references opposition mids quickly which helps bring a sense of accountability to the team in defensive transition.
So there it is, Bucks. Some food for thought.
At the moment, there is too much sameness week to week.
You know footy, so stop the lameness.
Bring back the boldness and vitality you played with to your coaching. Don’t die with the music in you. You will otherwise regret it.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/whatsapp://send?text=Mick McGuane: Nathan Buckley needs to reinvent himself and the Collingwood game plan

Couldn't agree more. Time for change, and l am really hoping Bucks is taking note, and considering some of these moves.....

Mick McGuane: Nathan Buckley needs to reinvent himself and the Collingwood game plan

Collingwood, it’s time to buck the system.
It is far from panic stations yet, but Friday night is the time to earn back the Magpie identity.
Firstly, it involves being aggressive in the contest and manic with pressure.

The other key shift needed is from the coaches’ box. Come on, Bucks, stop the rot.
It is time to bring your creative footy mind to the team.
You were a champion player who could read trends on the field and respond to situations as they unfolded.
Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Now you must express that risk-taking dare through your players. Because you have become too reliant on your system.
A strong argument can be mounted that your reluctance to change personnel within this system and during a match has stopped the side winning games from behind.

A great example of this is the 2019 preliminary final loss to Greater Western Sydney.

There is no point being stubborn about player movement when the system is failing and the team is four or five goals down.
On top of this, I would hope your loyal assistants can find the courage and strength to seriously challenge you when things are slipping away during a game.
Bucks, get back to being you.

Stop being too conservative, back your gut feel more often and come to realise that you are at your best when your instincts control your next decision.
I’m currently not seeing that in your coaching. It’s sterile and predictable.
Above all, it lacks imagination.
I’ve seriously believed in you along the journey but now more than ever, is the time to revert to being a more “sense the occasion” coach.
The players will be stimulated through your will and want to change things up.
Here are some suggestions to help you retake control:

1. Drop Cox
Collingwood loses far too many one-on-one battles in the forward line.
So starting this week, take some risks with positional changes and make some hard calls.
Don’t be accepting of players that are consistently letting critical opportunities slip but still gifted games the following week.
So drop Mason Cox – he is not delivering in his primary role.
He has lost 63 per cent of the 16 one-on-ones he has contested. Cox is tall, mostly plays in front and as a result gets his hands on the ball a lot but doesn’t always complete the mark.
The time has come to at least try Darcy Moore up forward in 2021. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

2. Swing Moore into attack
In Collingwood’s past two games it has registered only 13 marks from 105 Inside 50s.
So why not throw Darcy Moore forward?
Have a look at Brody Mihocek playing alongside another teammate that turns 50/50 opportunities into wins.
Moore has received plaudits for his intercept ability down back and rightfully so, but that alone doesn’t allow him to escape criticism.
He has conceded 34 marks and 42 uncontested possessions to his match-up – both being the most of any key defender.
Even those returns can be a reflection of the team’s lack of pressure up the ground, but it might also be Moore subconsciously saying: “I need a change, swing me forward”.
Jordan De Goey needs more space to work with up forward. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

3. Get De Goey one-out
Jordan De Goey will be the one who will benefit most with greater movement around him.
He is the Pies’ best one-on-one forward, yet clearly doesn’t get used enough to exhibit his combination of speed, strength, skill and uncanny goal sense.
It’s incomprehensible that he has only been involved in seven one-on-one contests this year. Better isolation and separation against Brad Sheppard is a must.

4. Mix up the rucks
Darcy Cameron is another obvious candidate to play as a key forward but also as a relief ruckman, as he was so important against Nic Naitanui in last year’ final.

5. Luck of the Irish
Bring Mark Keane in to play in defence.
He made his debut against Fremantle and started on Rory Lobb so why not pick him to play for Oscar Allen.
If it’s not him, bring Will Kelly into the team. Kelly is a competitive beast.
I know he is preparing to be a forward but don’t underestimate his abilities as a defender.
His father, Craig, was a premiership defender and his brother plays an important defensive role at the Crows.
The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

6. Be bold with Brown
Why not reinvent Callum Brown as a small defender?
He is bred to fight and scrap and he will make it hard for any opposition small forward he comes up against.
As a small forward he has only kicked three behinds from four games this year – yet he has applied 13 tackles.
Is he thinking too much about defence in an area that should be his second thought?
That’s why his attacking flair is currently lost.
He has only kicked 19 goals from his 53 career games.

7. Switch Noble’s role
Josh Thomas this year has kicked 2.3 from his four games.
He is miles away from the opportunistic small pressure forward he was in 2018 and 2019, when he kicked 60 from his 48 games in that period.
The other thought is to flip John Noble to be a small pressure forward.
Why not have a look at him there?
Can he bring some goalkicking nous to a forward line desperate for a fresh look?

8. Tag Tim Kelly
Levi Greenwood must play to tag Tim Kelly on Friday night, considering Luke Shuey and Elliot Yeo are not in the Eagles’ midfield.
He is task orientated and brings a defensive edge and hardness to the group.
He will be strong in the contest and apply great pressure. So it’s a no-brainer.
Tyler Brown has the tools to become a solid inside-mid. Picture: AAP Image/Michael Dodge

9. Bolster the midfield
Get Tyler Brown to play as an inside-mid, not necessarily on Friday night, but in future planning. Using him on the outside is not his go.
His bodywork and discipline on Patrick Cripps at stoppages last year was a great example of that.

10. Move the veterans around
Throw Steele Sidebottom or Scott Pendlebury back at times to be a part of your back six.
Ball use and a lack of composure is hurting the team too often and some of the culprits that give the ball back too easily might benefit having your leaders behind the ball to lead the way with effective counter attack ball use.
That would bring a sense of ball security to an area that’s impossible to defend D50 turnovers. And isn’t that currently hurting the team?
Josh Daicos is deadly around goal, but his silky foot skills should be used to hit up leading forwards more often. Picture: Michael Klein

11. Use Daicos’ elite skills
Push Josh Daicos back to his wing role to ensure there is better ball use going forward between the arcs.
His tram track running on his wing last year was outstanding.
He pushes back hard to support defence or to be an exit option to start an offensive move.
He knows when to push forward and kick a critical goal.

12. Let Quaynor use his speed
Isaac Quaynor was good as a deep hybrid defender until last week.
He was outclassed by Toby Greene. Swap Brayden Maynard to that role and allow Quaynor to bring some bounce and overlap so speed on the game becomes more of a constant. Collingwood’s mark-and-play-on percentage is 17th in the AFL, so more risk is required.
Free Quaynor up and allow his free spirit to become a part of the game.
He looks inhibited deep and a reluctant runner to join in with offence.

13. Don’t leave Jack down back
Jack Crisp must play midfield more often. He has become a very consistent player irrespective of his role. He references opposition mids quickly which helps bring a sense of accountability to the team in defensive transition.
So there it is, Bucks. Some food for thought.
At the moment, there is too much sameness week to week.
You know footy, so stop the lameness.
Bring back the boldness and vitality you played with to your coaching. Don’t die with the music in you. You will otherwise regret it.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/whatsapp://send?text=Mick McGuane: Nathan Buckley needs to reinvent himself and the Collingwood game plan
Would love Mick back at the club as an Assistant Coach!

I don't even waste my Time even Watching it

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
For the record I am a massive fan of our youth prospects. But its hard for me to take anything Rendell says about them as objective given his role as a recruiter in the 2018 and 2019 drafts, and his legacy would have had a massive impact on our 2020 draft rankings.

I really hope he is right but its hard for me to look past the fact that his reputation as a recruiter is definitely linked to how good our last 3 drafts are.

While Rendell would obviously be invested to some degree in these kids, his comments post his departure from the club don't need to be as positive as those. Especially on the players who he has seen at the club over a year or 2 so he now has greater insight into. I take just about everything I read from the media with a grain of salt but he has nothing to lose/gain in this circumstance so I think the comments should be taken on face value. Still just 1 blokes opinion though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back