News Collingwood offer new contract to Jesse White

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe with Cloke gone that may clear up
My biggest problem with Jesse is that for a big man he doesnt physically impose himself on the contest. He still has a bit of the Jack Darlings about him. He has the physique for it so he needs to get the mindset right. If he does that he could be the power forward we have been hoping for.

If he leaves we are very light on for tall, mobile players.
That's enough reason for me to give him a 2nd year.

I disagree.
I dont think a 2nd year should be garaunteed (unless theres enough pressure with other teams chasing him - which doesnt seem to be the case).

Where we could potentially be in 12 months time with KPF stocks:
Darcy will hopefully be in the 30-40 goal range in 2017 and be our clear spearhead going forward- with continued increasing output over the next few years. If healthy is first pick in every game next year.
Cox has shown rapid improvement so far... If he continues at this rate should play 10-15 games and give us 20+ goals next year in the fwd/ruck role. If Darcy is healthy all year, then Cox and White are clearly competing for 1 spot (no way we play both, especially if we're bringing in guys like Mayne and WHE as med-fwds who can play bigger... Let alone the option of playing Mayne as a pseudo-2nd big, giving us a supermobile forward line that could be elite on defensive pressure).

Now White could easily play 20 games for 30goals next year... But if Cox continues developing, Jesse could just as easily play only 5-10 games. And if we get a fringe young KPF this offseason, and then chase a bigger name (eg. Wright, Patton) in 12 months time - then White could very quickly be way down in the pecking order and no longer required for 2018... Do we want a guy on a 3-400k salary in that position? Especially if we are hoping to have cap space to burn that year?

I want Jesse here in 2017, and if the above things don't happen, then I'd be very happy to have him still here beyond that.
But i think its pretty likely that enough things could happen for him not to be really needed in 2018 onwards.

As I said, if another team offers him 2 or 3 years, then I'd be happy us offering him a 1+1 contract, maybe 2 (with the right conditions)... But thats the absolute maximum.

Really it comes down to what other teams have offered (if anything), and as a RFA (?) we have the right to match anyway.

He did miss a lot from close range that he just tried to boot rather than absorb the pressure. The North game was an example later in the year and he should have kicked 7 against gold coast, but missed an easy shot and then fell into a heap.
Didn't catch either of those games, but fair enough. Did see him kick a couple clutch goals though vs Hawks and Tigers I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back