Club Focus Collingwood 2020 - Henry, Macrae, McInnes, Poulter, McMahon, McCreery

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Collingwood club focus thread
Jaidyn Stephenson, what’s he worth?

- Contracted for another year
- 3rd year player coming off glandular fever in the pre-season but now not getting a game
- 38 goals and rising star in his first year
- originally pick 5

He's worth a bit but you would be crazy to trade him while his value is low. Very talented natural footballer who needs to do some work on his game. I think you would regret trading him.

I voted for recruiting via the draft but it really is a combination of all of those.

Our problem is that we become too attached to players. I would always separate the job of list manager and recruiter. Too many conflicts otherwise i.e If the same role and you keep moving on draftees then you are admitting you are a rubbish recruiter.

The first step is to cull dead wood - Reid, Varcoe, Dunn, Picasso Beams, Greenwood. Wills.

Then get rid of players surplus to requirements - one/both of Langdon/Scharenberg (Nathan Murphy can become our next intercept marker). That will help clear a bit of cap space. i would also move on Phillips - butchers the ball too much. Rantall can eventually take over his role. I would also trade away Josh Thomas. I would also look at trading Sier (Essendon should be interested as should the Kangaroos, Crows etc etc). I believe Tyler Brown can play that inside mid role. I would also move on WHE - is on similar coin to Cox and only gives us one good game a month. Super talented but doesn’t really fit in our team. Would have currency in the trade market.

If we are serious about the draft and getting Logan McDonald from WA then the club might need to bite the bullet and put the feelers out on Steele Sidebottom. My preference would be to trade him to the Kangaroos (that way the trade does not come back to bite us). But you gotta give something to get something.

We lack some small forwards but they should not cost a lot. Petrucelle, Brent Daniels, Lachlan Murphy, Bobby Hill. There are plenty of those types out there.

I would recruit one of the Gunston/Breust to be an on/off field organiser of our forward line. Both are also super intelligent players.

And go employ some proper coaches. Its madness to give Grundy a 7 year contract and have Anthony Rocca as the ruck coach. We also need a proper forward i.e Nick Riewoldt to teach Will Kellly and hopefully Logan McDonald about what it takes to be a forward in the AFL.

Last edited:
If we are serious about the draft and getting Logan McDonald from WA then the club might need to bite the bullet and put the feelers out on Steele Sidebottom. My preference would be to trade him to the Kangaroos (that way the trade does not come back to bite us). But you gotta give something to get something.
I dont think North would be interested in a 30 year old Sidebottom, nor would he net you a pick anywhere near the top 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think North would be interested in a 30 year old Sidebottom, nor would he net you a pick anywhere near the top 3.

Sidebottom isn’t ‘untouchable’ by any means but he’s a low key Collingwood legend and as you pointed out, given his age now theres no value in a trade - what he’s worth to us isn’t what we would get.

Sidebottom isn’t ‘untouchable’ by any means but he’s a low key Collingwood legend and as you pointed out, given his age now theres no value in a trade - what he’s worth to us isn’t what we would get.

Worth more to us then another team

Okay after a bit of thinking, I'd say we need to do a few things. Don't feel the water on Sidebottom, he has been a club servant and it would be a bad look. I think keeping most of the playing group together is fair. Secondly, if a player isn't currently best 25 or so and doesn't have the potential to be, they need to go. Reid, Broomhead, Dunn, Wills, Scharenberg, Varcoe, Beams (practically gone anyway) and maybe Lynch, Appleby & Greenwood (I'd cull 2/3 probably saving Lynch). I'm not sure what is happening with Tohill and Keane if they are still cat B or not but if they are, they can remain, if not, Keane stays and Tohill is a maybe. Assuming they remain cat b, that puts our list down to 34/35 players. I hope we get Majak on a bottom contract as I think he would be best 22 and partner Darcy as a key defender. I would not trade for anyone as we seem to lack youth and I want to inject more youth into our list and want to get some of the higher rated talent in. I want Cameron, no secret and with all of these out of contract players, maybe we can find a way to re-sign Mihocek, Daicos, De Goey & Moore while bringing Cameron in but that requires him to leave which I'm not sure he will. If we can't I'd take a stab at Cam McCarthy. Atu re-signed on a 1 year minimum deal.

Okay after a bit of thinking, I'd say we need to do a few things. Don't feel the water on Sidebottom, he has been a club servant and it would be a bad look. I think keeping most of the playing group together is fair. Secondly, if a player isn't currently best 25 or so and doesn't have the potential to be, they need to go. Reid, Broomhead, Dunn, Wills, Scharenberg, Varcoe, Beams (practically gone anyway) and maybe Lynch, Appleby & Greenwood (I'd cull 2/3 probably saving Lynch). I'm not sure what is happening with Tohill and Keane if they are still cat B or not but if they are, they can remain, if not, Keane stays and Tohill is a maybe. Assuming they remain cat b, that puts our list down to 34/35 players. I hope we get Majak on a bottom contract as I think he would be best 22 and partner Darcy as a key defender. I would not trade for anyone as we seem to lack youth and I want to inject more youth into our list and want to get some of the higher rated talent in. I want Cameron, no secret and with all of these out of contract players, maybe we can find a way to re-sign Mihocek, Daicos, De Goey & Moore while bringing Cameron in but that requires him to leave which I'm not sure he will. If we can't I'd take a stab at Cam McCarthy. Atu re-signed on a 1 year minimum deal.
Agree, everyone you just listed would be on senior salary and really need to go. Except Lynch and Appleby closer to rookie wage, and Greenwood as an exceptional role player should stay.

That is a huge amount of salary alleviation, no point paying them when they don't add anything.

Agree, everyone you just listed would be on senior salary and really need to go. Except Lynch and Appleby closer to rookie wage, and Greenwood as an exceptional role player should stay.

That is a huge amount of salary alleviation, no point paying them when they don't add anything.
Yeah like Appleby and Lynch will be cheap and are young. Unsure on Greenwood as he is probably best 22. The others I'm confident are not best 22, nor will they ever be again.

Honestly whoever gets Mihocek for cheap will get a really nice bargain.

Similar to Gunston, quick, agile and participates up the ground. Can be a threat inside 50 too, although inconsistent against the best KPDs.

We've just had no choice but play him as a key forward. Play him in a role that suits him better and he looks to be a very efficient high half forward.

Honestly whoever gets Mihocek for cheap will get a really nice bargain.

Similar to Gunston, quick, agile and participates up the ground. Can be a threat inside 50 too, although inconsistent against the best KPDs.

We've just had no choice but play him as a key forward. Play him in a role that suits him better and he looks to be a very efficient high half forward.
I'd rather not lose him to be fair. Hope he doesn't leave.

With Reports that Miocheck might look elsewhere for more money does show Collingwood's Salary Cap is very tight

Dave it might just mean that we are not willing to go as high as he is asking on the back of needing to sign talent rated higher in the first instance (ie: Moore/De Goey etc). Maybe once the other deals are sorted we can offer him more. If that is still not enough for him he may in fact look elsewhere. Not sure it is linked to any cap problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back