Collingwood players ban Robbo/Herald Sun.

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with that except the last bit. Will have zero impact on his job or paper, potential to hurt Collingwood more. Robbo doesn't solely decide what runs, the article was newscorp business plan, court controversy. This ban plays right into that keeps the srory running for another week.

Agreed...

Won't have an impact on his job or his paper... but every Journo and reader who know anything doesn't trust him at all after this...

His "hidden source" stories will not be trusted anymore... With a Prefect example of being called out on making this s**t up.

He's a Lier and every time he opens his mouth on his exclusive... he looks even worse... He's a train wreck right now!

I agree with that except the last bit. Will have zero impact on his job or paper, potential to hurt Collingwood more. Robbo doesn't solely decide what runs, the article was newscorp business plan, court controversy. This ban plays right into that keeps the srory running for another week.

It will have zero affect on the club imo.

NEWSFLASH...

No one had the info... no one had any info... Robbo made it up, which is why he has been barred by the players.

Not sure of the timeline, but Roughie was on the radio Friday and said that he had no idea of the results, but the club did (obviously the Hawks in this case). Maybe he is mistaken too, but this sort of indicates if anything, any info may potentially come from the club. BTW, not saying it did, it well could have been simply "made up" (at least to an extent), but found this interesting.

I don't know who's running PR at Collingwood (Eddie I guess, he does everything else) but this is so ****in dumb.

Banning a journo? Lol. Think what you like of Robbo but he has one of the biggest platforms (if not the biggest) in the footy media. He's chief writer for the nations biggest paper and co-host of the only nightly footy show on TV. That's just fact.

You think he's just gonna stop talking to Collingwood because they "ban him"? Now he can and will just say whatever he wants... what, he didn't check with them first? Well he can't if they don't talk to him! It's the perfect excuse.

A lot of people have been victims of far bigger media targeting, do they all ban a journalist? It's laughingly precious.

I've got not much time for a lot of "journos" with the amount of s**t that was flat made up about EFC over the past few years, but banning them from talking to the club? Grow the **** up.

The whole thing reeks of Eddie and his bully-boy, control freak ways.

A few issues with this post.

I'm sure people have personally been victims of bigger 'media targeting' but I'm also sure that many people would have been non-co-operative with said journo. To get it as like for like to the Collingwood situation, it would have to be a journo at best, reporting confidential information to the media in an blatant attempt to slander said 'individual', now, I can't see any other action then for this situation to be going to the courts in a libelous sort of way.

At a club level, I've not seen a club being unfairly targeted by a media personality in my time following the AFL then what was reported last Thursday week, in fact this was the worst bit of journalism that targeted Collingwood. Essendon were guilty for a club sanctioned PED's regime, so you can't compare whatever leaks came from the AFL and what was reported in this case. IMO, the Collingwood case is unprecedented. It was a jounralist, making s**t up, about a confidential matter, so I'm not even sure he's breached any trust. If he made s**t up in such a way to an individual, he would be taken to court and sued. No doubt.

You've also contradicted yourself. You are putting Slobbo Robbo on a pedastool as a powerful man wielding a keyboard who can now say what he wants, yet, on the other hand, saying that this is a case of Eddie being a control freak, using bully-boy tactics.

You're missing the point, the real 'bully boy' in this case is Slobbo. The players and perhaps the club are standing up to him, and perhaps giving him his just deserts, his cum uppence if you must.

Agreed...

Won't have an impact on his job or his paper... but every Journo and reader who know anything doesn't trust him at all after this...

His "hidden source" stories will not be trusted anymore... With a Prefect example of being called out on making this s**t up.

He's a Lier and every time he opens his mouth on his exclusive... he looks even worse... He's a train wreck right now!

so the more things change the more they stay the same

Not sure of the timeline, but Roughie was on the radio Friday and said that he had no idea of the results, but the club did (obviously the Hawks in this case). Maybe he is mistaken too, but this sort of indicates if anything, any info may potentially come from the club. BTW, not saying it did, it well could have been simply "made up" (at least to an extent), but found this interesting.

Robbo's source... been disputed by every media outlet and the AFLPA and even on 360 to him... he admitted he guessed!

Today on SEN he raised the number by over double...

After he had to leave the room for an interview with a Collingwood player!

Train wreck...

Robbo is a rabble but lots of shooting the messenger going on here.

If players don't want stories about them doing illicit drugs then maybe they should stop doing illicit drugs.
Not at all. The players volunteered the information to the AFL under the agreement that it was to remain 100% confidential. Then the AFL go leaking like a school girl at a one direction concert. And Robbo knowing it was confidential - to my mind no different from medical records - decides to write a story on it. That or he made it all up. I don't know which is worse.

I'd like to respectfully disagree.

I'm not arguing that Robbo's performance hasn't been messy, or that the leak isn't morally ambiguous, or even that the intense scrutiny on every aspect of player lives are justified (or even fair).

Just that if there wasn't 11 positive drug tests, there would have been no story about positive drug tests.

The story didn't materialise from the ether - it's the end result of 11 individual decisions, which they now have to live with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not arguing that Robbo's performance hasn't been messy, or that the leak isn't morally ambiguous, or even that the intense scrutiny on every aspect of player lives are justified (or even fair).

Just that if there wasn't 11 positive drug tests, there would have been no story about positive drug tests.

The story didn't materialise from the ether - it's the end result of 11 individual decisions, which they now have to live with.

Well there's a pretty strong case to suggest that the story did materialise from ether given the number he's going with ranges from 4 to 8 to 11 and now that he's been called out - up to 23. It's gutter and banal.

More than that, you're completely missing the point, it's not about drugs, it's about private information that's been given on the sole condition it is to remain confidential. This hasn't happened. Above all, it's simply disrespectful.

The leak isn't morally ambiguous, it's morally bankrupt.
I give two shits what players get up to, if we didn't have the JD's of this world, no-one would give a s**t about these stories.
We don't know what the real figure is. It's widely accepted that Robbo made it all up, regardless of individual decisions.

Although I'm generally in favour of people not giving Robbo the time of day, it's hardly going to improve the standard of footy journalism in Australia if clubs start shutting out anyone who prints something they don't like.

Although I'm generally in favour of people not giving Robbo the time of day, it's hardly going to improve the standard of footy journalism in Australia if clubs start shutting out anyone who prints something they don't like.
It's not about that. He's been given a very long leash before this story. It's about him 1) making a story up or 2) violating players right to privacy.

Sure write a story about it and give the Pies a right rogering, if you are using data that you've been given the right to use.

To me it's no different than if he wrote a story about Frankin's battles with mental illness off the back of stealing his patient records from his doctor. Which is what this is. This is medical information given to club doctors so they can assist in the delivery of health care to these players.

The leak isn't morally ambiguous, it's morally bankrupt.

it's about private information that's been given on the sole condition it is to remain confidential. This hasn't happened. Above all, it's simply disrespectful.

You guys realise it wasn't Robbo that leaked it right? He just reported on it.

And the leaker would have nothing to leak if there was no positive tests.

There are no victims here.

Yep, nothing to see.

That's the point there's a lot of evidence to prove he didn't report on anything. He just made it up. His numbers vary wildly. If he has the information he would have said from the start the number is " X ". Instead it's " between 5 and 23 ". That makes your second point moot.

Well there's a pretty strong case to suggest that the story did materialise from ether given the number he's going with ranges from 4 to 8 to 11 and now that he's been called out - up to 23. It's gutter and banal.

More than that, you're completely missing the point, it's not about drugs, it's about private information that's been given on the sole condition it is to remain confidential. This hasn't happened. Above all, it's simply disrespectful.

The thing is, the players aren't even getting the results (at least according to Jarryd Roughead). He said that the clubs were getting the results of these tests. Not sure who else is, but sounds like they are far from private.

People are disputing the fact that there was a leak. He has no source and practically admitted on SEN today that he made it up. Everything points to Robbo fabricating the story and throwing Collingwood under the bus knowing that the club can't dispute it as the club's don't get told the results of the drug testing.

The club has not banned Robbo from anything, the playing group however will not talk to him on or off air, that's all. Taylor Adams seemed fairly confident when he told SEN the entire story was nothing fabricated BS and refused to talk to Robbo. There is no leak, there is no proof. Everytime Robbo is confronted about it he just digs himself further into a hole. AFL 360 will be great tomorrow as he attempts to justify himself.

Ruddy lol... ok Collingwood... ur lucky the tugglies are so thick or all the media would be coming after you...

Ps... I still think your Clenbuterol story is Horse s**t!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back