News Collingwood Players Playing for their Careers

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't agree with the motivation behind his performance this year. He is playing as good ( or as bad ) as last year but this year he is not in our worst and we got others players to complain about :)

A small EFA and I think we have consensus on that segment of final prospects.
A good stop gap measure imho as backup/
Imagine if we let White go , Cloke and Witts go for greener pastures? Cox Moore Gault in the fwd line as our talls? Grundy gets injured. Cox rucking all by himself and have a fwd line of Gault and Cox? Spare me the thought.
White can go but we need a new tall in his place that can ruck. And to be honest, that should be the LEAST of our trade worries. Keep what we got, even if it is not that good but a small crumber please!! And we might even make White look good with a crumber enjoying his tap work .

The bolded part above is spot on. By the way I think he has been better than last year.

Credit when credit is due. Interesting to see what our Club has planned.....the fact he hasn't been signed IMO means something is in the pipeline. It might even involve your favourite player Cloke :eek:

White and Williams (unless he wants out) are pretty safe imo. Agree with the rest although will very unhappy if Broomhead is not on the list next season.

Oxley is contracted for 2017 unless I'm mistaken so can't see him going anywhere.

Oxley is contracted for 2017 unless I'm mistaken so can't see him going anywhere.

Come on jackass contracts mean nothing........if he doesn't play another game in the AFL I would like to see him traded to QLD.

We have enough players in his position as back up.

PicaBoo, White is an average player at best. Yes he has been serviceable this year but that's because he knows he may be on the dole line next year.

I have said it before I will say it again we will not win a Premiership with him in our team.

Just my opinion and nothing personal because he has been ok this year so kudos to him.

Be more surprised if White didn't get at least a 1 year deal for 2017. We aren't overly blessed with 196cm types who can play KPF or KPD, on a wing, and take a turn in the ruck so at a minimum he's really important depth.

Come on jackass contracts mean nothing........if he doesn't play another game in the AFL I would like to see him traded to QLD.

We have enough players in his position as back up.

Player can just as easily enforce the contract as the club, see Witts 2015.

Player can just as easily enforce the contract as the club, see Witts 2015.

Beams says hi the other way!

I get your point but he is excess use to us.........if you hadn't noticed I don't rate him at all!

Beams says hi the other way!

I get your point but he is excess use to us.........if you hadn't noticed I don't rate him at all!

World of difference between a player who wants to go and a player who wants to stay. Who has said Oxley wants out? As far as I'm aware it's a few posters on BF suggesting he does/will if he doesn't get any further senior opportunities in 2016 but ultimately that's just guess work.

White should get another year. Cox is not yet the Messiah his early games suggested he might be and Gault is not even half the player White has been this year. Witts is surely going to be traded while he is capable of generating any interest from opposition clubs. Cloke is yet another senior player unable to play into his 30's. White should easily be able to secure a spot for next year. There are good reasons why we are lurking near the bottom of the ladder, not the least of which is a lack of quality players.

What article?! You could at least reference or quote from it considering you are basing a thread upon it. Otherwise it just seems lije a thread based around a wisp of thin air.

Click Articles:rolleyes:

Goldsack has to be gone

There may be room to keep him for another season. I'd like to think there is. You always need a bit of senior depth. I dont see a massive cleanout at the end of the year because the list is basically in a good position. We just may trade some players to get draft picks back so we are a competitor on draft day. Cant see why we'd trade any senior players in so there should be room to retain Goldsack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There may be room to keep him for another season. I'd like to think there is. You always need a bit of senior depth. I dont see a massive cleanout at the end of the year because the list is basically in a good position. We just may trade some players to get draft picks back so we are a competitor on draft day. Cant see why we'd trade any senior players in so there should be room to retain Goldsack.

How do you come to the conclusion "our list is basically in a good position"

We aren't a top 8 team and we don't have many high draft picks coming in this year or last.

I feel Goldsack may even struggle to be depth next year, his body is deteriorating and half a dozen kids have gone past him... Scharenberg will go past him as well next year. Just a list clogger now

How do you come to the conclusion "our list is basically in a good position"

We aren't a top 8 team and we don't have many high draft picks coming in this year or last.

I feel Goldsack may even struggle to be depth next year, his body is deteriorating and half a dozen kids have gone past him... Scharenberg will go past him as well next year. Just a list clogger now

Our list is basically in a good position because we have invested heavily in rucks and mids and flankers especially as well as Moore who will continue to develop. Goldy has actually been in the best shape he has been for years so injury no issue. You always need depth players. They cant all be best 22. Hes still the only backup we currently have to the Marsh and Howe Mr Ficit types.

Besides I said I hoped we had room for him. I didnt say unequivocally he should stay. It will depends on other trades etc. He may well be the last man picked or delisted.

Last edited:
Our list is basically in a good position because we have invested heavily in rucks and mids and flankers especially as well as Moore who will continue to develop. Goldy has actually been in the best shape he has been for years. You always need depth players. They cant all be best 22. Hes still the only backup we currently have to the Marsh and Howe Mr Ficit types.

Besides I said I hoped we had room for him. I didnt say unequivocally he should stay. It will depends on other trades etc. He may be the last man picked or delisted.

Having no 1st round picks for 2 years and not being a top 8 team is a scary spot to be in... you have to hope our current youth kick on otherwise we may be stuck in that 12-8th mediocrity zone for a few years. Not bad but without the elite talent all over the park to be a top 4 contender.

We have invested in a few drafts but they don't of appeared to have paid off to this point... De Goey isn't playing like a top 5 pick (although still early days) and Broomhead/Kennedy have been let downs... Plus the Scharenberg/Freeman draft which the less said about the better.

Having no 1st round picks for 2 years and not being a top 8 team is a scary spot to be in... you have to hope our current youth kick on otherwise we may be stuck in that 12-8th mediocrity zone for a few years. Not bad but without the elite talent all over the park to be a top 4 contender.

We have invested in a few drafts but they don't of appeared to have paid off to this point... De Goey isn't playing like a top 5 pick (although still early days) and Broomhead/Kennedy have been let downs... Plus the Scharenberg/Freeman draft which the less said about the better.

We landed first round pick quality players Aish and Treloar. So its not as if we dont have these picks, we spend them players who are both proven (compared to pimply 18 year olds) and still young. Quality decision.

Freeman and Kennedy have landed us trade value so whilst they didnt work out they are not disasters.

Add back Elliot Ramsay Scharenburg for starters. Add the trade value of Witts and possibly Cloke and we are back in the late first round or second round that we traded away last year.

Last edited:
A lot of blokes would be vying with each other to retain their spots on the list or face the chop:

Swan,
Cloke,
Caff,
Sack,
Toovey,
White,
Broomhead,
Oxley
Gault,
Golds,
Goodyear,
Wyatt,
Sincalir

are all facing uncertainty to different degrees over their positions at Collingwood next year.

I'd add Frost to that list.

But not:

Sinclair
White
Broomhead.

I don't understand how people consider Caff to be gone, but Goldy and Toovey as 50/50 bets. All three are goneski.

I understand it. It simple maths. It's not necessary to delist all three given we will probably trade a few players away as well as possibly see Swan retire. There's only so many draft picks we need. That number is probably around five. So we may have room to retain Goldy for depth. Haven't seen too many people calling Toovey a 50/50 though. He's likely gone given the options we have back.

My wild guess is

Out Witts Toovey Maccaffer Cloke Swan Broomhead Goodyear/Oxley. Although I'm hoping Swan plays on. That will give two or three live picks traded in around second roundish. Thats seven out assuming Cloke and Broomhead or Oxley walk (its reasonable to assume Witts will).

In three drafted players hopefully between 15 and 30 and two father sons Brown and Dricos and two rookie promotions Cox and Smith Thats seven in. No traded players in.

Rookie list Smith and Cox promoted, Goodyear redrafted, Gault delisted. Keeffe and Thomas available to play.

Last edited:
I'd add Frost to that list.

But not:

Sinclair
White
Broomhead.

Definitely understand that opinion,

My thinking was/is that despite having his best year retirement may be forced on sinkers due to head/concussion issue but certainly hope not.
White certainly has something to offer when at or near his best, its just that his ordinary days are pathetic and occur too often, will the club lose patience?
Broomhead is an undoubted talent and popular with fans, people have high hopes, However, he just cannot get on or stay on the park and his output has been very little so far, I am concerned he is physically not up to the rigors of AFL football. Will the club lose patience? I just think they might.

Frost is certainly wobbly but, with Brown starting poorly this year, Toovs and Sack facing the end, Langdon injured, Ried's injury history and Shack and Ramsay having knees, I think Frost will get at least one more year. Another whose best is very good: great closing speed, almost elite spoiler, ferocious tackler. Just seems to have no confidence at all when taking possession of the footy and never seems to take it cleanly, often turns it over under even slight pressure.

Last edited:

My thinking was/is that despite having his best year retirement may be forced on sinkers due to head/concussion issue but certainly hope not.
White certainly has something to offer when at or near his best, its just that his ordinary days are pathetic and occur too often, will the club lose patience?
Broomhead is an undoubted talent and popular with fans, people have high hopes, However, he just cannot get on or stay on the park and his output has been very little so far, I am concerned he is physically not up to the rigors of AFL football. Will the club lose patience? I just think they might.

Frost is certainly wobbly but, with Brown starting poorly this year, Toovs and Sack facing the end, Langdon injured, Ried's injury history and Shack and Ramsay having knees, I think Frost will get at least one more year. Another whose best is very good: great closing speed, almost elite spoiler, ferocious tackler. Just seems to have no confidence at all when taking possession of the footy and never seems to take it cleanly, often turns it over under even slight pressure.

Yep. Makes a lot of sense.

Decided out of curiosity to put together a team of our currently listed players who should be in their prime in 2017 (25-29 years old, born 1988-1992):

B: Jack Frost - Nathan Brown - Jeremy Howe
HB: Ben Sinclair - Ben Reid - Adam Oxley
C: Travis Varcoe - Levi Greenwood - Steele Sidebottom
HF: Alex Fasolo - Jesse White - Jarryd Blair
F: Jamie Elliott - Mason Cox - Corey Gault
R: Jarrod Witts - Scott Pendlebury - Josh Thomas
I: Brent Macaffer - Lachlan Keeffe - Darrean Wyatt - (None)

That's the age group that you'd want making up the majority of your best 22, if you're looking at being a finals side, and I'd say a lot of those names would be in our best 22-25 going forward. If you're in that age group, and you're not best 22, you're probably a bit of a list-clogger at this point.

So from that group, I'd probably say that Macaffer, Gault, and Wyatt could be delisted, and I'd say Keeffe and Thomas would only retain their place due to not getting a shot at it this year, but wouldn't be shocked if they were quietly dropped as well. Sinclair may finish up due to the head injuries, too. Guys on the wrong side of their prime that aren't listed there like Cloke, Toovey and Goldsack could all be on the way out, too, and I don't think Tim Golds will last, either. I like Oxley as a player, but feel he's a replaceable type, and could have some currency in a trade with a club like Brisbane (QLD born, fits with the type of player they lack).

Understandably this would be a pretty deep cut to make to the list (11 players out), especially in a year we don't have a first round draft pick, but I think it's a necessary turn-over, and will put us in good stead going forward.

So how would our best 22 and list look in 2017 (before draft picks) with those 11 players gone?:

B: Jonathan Marsh - Nathan Brown - Jeremy Howe
HB: Brayden Maynard - Ben Reid - Tom Langdon
C: Dane Swan - Adam Treloar - Steele Sidebottom
HF: Alex Fasolo - Jesse White - Jarryd Blair
F: Jamie Elliott - Darcy Moore - Mason Cox
R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Taylor Adams
I: Jack Crisp - Travis Varcoe - Levi Greenwood - Jordan De Goey

E: Jarrod Witts - James Aish - Jack Frost

Rupert Wills
Marley Williams
Josh Smith
Tim Broomhead
Jackson Ramsay
Matthew Scharenberg
Tom Phillips
Matthew Goodyear
Ben Crocker
Brayden Sier

Not a huge amount of depth there (need to go big in the draft), but with everyone fit, I'd back that best 22 to make the bottom half of the 8 in 2017, which will be the progress we want.

I don't think Sinclair is at the retirement stage, needs to modify his style and throw on a stack hat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back