Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingmagic

Cancelled
Sep 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Only one who has said that is you so far? Haha

Shall we not post anything regarding discrimination at Collingwood if you don't agree with it?
Well either there was systematic racism at collingwood or there wasn't.

Not sure what the point is of criticising HL when his main claim has proven true. Collingwood was systemically racist as their own report shows.

And how should we react to you posting an article about how they acted appropriately when one fan used a racial slur? Give them a pat on the back? Congratulate them they aren't completely racist?

I'm pretty sure we could just close the thread.

Well either there was systematic racism at collingwood or there wasn't.

Not sure what the point is of criticising HL when his main claim has proven true. Collingwood was systemically racist as their own report shows.

And how should we react to you posting an article about how they acted appropriately when one fan used a racial slur? Give them a pat on the back? Congratulate them they aren't completely racist?

I'm pretty sure we could just close the thread.
You quoted a post in which I linked an article from The Age about a female Collingwood footballer being racially vilified and Collingwood's response to that vilification in a thread about Collingwood's vilification.

I didn't tell you to do any of the things you mentioned, if you weren't so hellbent to defend HL at every turn you'd see through your bias and look at my comments regarding CFC in this thread.

Why would you prefer to have a one sided discussion as opposed to looking at both good and bad and discussing from there?

Should we shut the thread down because there's something in it that you don't agree with?

flyingmagic

Cancelled
Sep 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
You quoted a post in which I linked an article from The Age about a female Collingwood footballer being racially vilified and Collingwood's response to that vilification in a thread about Collingwood's vilification.

I didn't tell you to do any of the things you mentioned, if you weren't so hellbent to defend HL at every turn you'd see through your bias and look at my comments regarding CFC in this thread.

Why would you prefer to have a one sided discussion as opposed to looking at both good and bad and discussing from there?

Should we shut the thread down because there's something in it that you don't agree with?
I don't think I have defended or vilified HL anywhere. I am quite aware he could be a s**t bloke. I kind of assume most professional footballers are probably people I don't want to be friends with.

I don't think I have defended or vilified HL anywhere. I am quite aware he could be a sh*t bloke. I kind of assume most professional footballers are probably people I don't want to be friends with.
Ok - your reaction to an article about CFC acting appropriately to racial vilification was strange. Have said many times that yes there's no doubt there's issues at Collingwood - and if we can provide examples of this behaviour changing surely that's a good thing.

Reckon it might worth actually referencing the report:

," the people who raised them often remained ostracised. For those who experienced racism within the Club, they described it as a toxic environment. They bravely challenged the culture of the Club and highlighted the flaws in Club processes.

Then they paid a high price for speaking out about their experiences. It has to be noted that observations in this report are consistent with many claims made by those who were aggrieved by the Club’s culture, attitude and policies.

The Collingwood Football Club will be a better organisation if it can come to terms with its past rather than put it to one side and pretend it can move forward without looking back. Otherwise, the past will continue to throw a shadow over the Club. The attitude of certain individuals that acknowledgement and learning from the past is a positive thing needs to be adopted by the Club as a whole.

Such a process of engaged ‘truth-telling’ and should be designed and led within the Club by experienced First Nations people and, where appropriate, other people of colour, particularly Africans and those of African descent. As the Club learns, grows and improves by learning from the past"

Further:

'This proactive approach is more sincere and, although it may be difficult for the Club, is a better way to address those past wrongs. To date, there is no evidence that unresolved issues from the past go away; they continue to haunt the Club and to cause harm to those who have been aggrieved by its treatment of them.'

'Such actions that seek to make amends and atone for past failures are not acts of weakness by the Club but rather are acts of strength and should be embraced as such.'

flyingmagic

Cancelled
Sep 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ok - your reaction to an article about CFC acting appropriately to racial vilification was strange. Have said many times that yes there's no doubt there's issues at Collingwood - and if we can provide examples of this behaviour changing surely that's a good thing.
Reading an article I guess brings out my cynicism, especially after the report mentioned that they care more about media coverage than actually dealing with the underlying problems.

I'm glad they acted the way they did. But banning a fan in this instance is pretty low hanging fruit - other clubs have done this previously and it seems like a pretty obvious action. Might take a while before I am ready to sing their praises.

Last edited:

flyingmagic

Cancelled
Sep 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda

I don't mind opinions that I disagree with. It would be pretty weird if everyone though the same as me. It just seems we are going round and round in circles without getting anywhere.

But I guess I can just mute the thread and not read it.

Reading an article I guess brings out my cynicism, especially after the report mentioned that they care more about media coverage than actually dealing with the underlying problems.

I'm glad they acted the way they did. But banning a fan in this instance is pretty low hanging fruit - other clubs have done this previously and it seems like a pretty obvious action. Might take a while before I am ready to sing their praises.
Why the extremes? I'm not singing their praises either, if you read what I had to say in regards to CFC you'd see that.

I'm surprised by the negative response to a football club now known for systemic racism actually calling it out this time. Can't really see how it's anything to speak negatively about at all. Oh and I gotta mention I'm not trying to defend CFC or put an end to this discussion, actually I'm trying to do the complete opposite - I think it's going to be interesting seeing what happens with CFC moving forward/think this could be an ongoing, open discussion. HL's court case is another piece of the puzzle that is due to start soon as well.

I don't mind opinions that I disagree with. It would be pretty weird if everyone though the same as me. It just seems we are going round and round in circles without getting anywhere.

But I guess I can just mute the thread and not read it.
That you definitely can.

F*** Collingwood. Hopefully we can all agree on that..
Hear, hear

Dear Collingwood,

c4-OSm.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back