Collingwood-Richmond, is it a one way or two way rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t worry Falcon, they last beat us in a Grand Final in….well they never have, they have only beaten us in Challenge Finals or finals that were subject to challenge. But the last of those was 1929. And the last time they beat us in a final and went on to win a flag…..1935. And the reason SOTY is so desperate to point to the Pies infamous Preliminaryship victory over us in 2018? Because it was the Pastries first finals victory against us since 1937. And we had beaten them in 6 consecutive finals before 2018, 3 of those occasions en route to Tiger flags.

They beat us in finals and won flags 1919, 27, 28, 29, 30, & 35. We beat them in finals and won flags in 1920-69-73-80. So they still have the wood on us here but theirs are a long long way further in the past than most of ours are.

This rivalry was fierce historically, and really all these rivalries have been a little diluted by populations spreading out of the inner suburbs and the competition growing from 12 in increments to now 18 teams meaning big game and finals clashes are now less frequent.

I went to a home and away match between us and the filth at the MCG in the late 70’s or early 80’s where the crowd was heaving and KB was running rampant, and each time he booted a major, the yellow and black section of the crowd went nuts in appreciation of the wispy-haired wonder and simultaneously the filth section of the crowd went berserk abusing the man who made being hungry cool. It felt like the MCG was going to explode. It was magnificent. 😁

South of the Yarra is no doubt scarred by these and other memories and seems like a therapist has suggested to him his best way to deal with it is to create an alternative reality in which the Tiger monster is not so frightening for him. 🤣

Thanks for the win on Sunday. You are the club that just keeps on giving to Collingwood. Thanks so much

When I first started going to the footy in the mid 80's I remember that everyone hated Collingwood, even though they hadn't won a flag for so long, so I asked myself why were they so hated? It's because they were the biggest club in the land and everyone was jealous of that, even though, no flags at that point in time.

But now that the once "sleeping giant" is the biggest club in the land, and also has 3 flags to go with being the biggest club in the land, the "sleeping giant" that woke up is a rival to all opposition supporters, and we're the most hated club in the land (not Collingwood anymore), and if you hate a club you see them as your rival and do all you can to stop them, even change rules.

So who do Richmond see as their rivals, then, and only then, can we know what are the main two way rivalries in the AFL? In my opinion I see Carlton and Collingwood as rivals, so they are two way rivalries.

When I first started going to the footy in the mid 80's I remember that everyone hated Collingwood, even though they hadn't won a flag for so long, so I asked myself why were they so hated? It's because they were the biggest club in the land and everyone was jealous of that, even though, no flags at that point in time.

But now that the once "sleeping giant" is the biggest club in the land, and also has 3 flags to go with being the biggest club in the land, the "sleeping giant" that woke up is a rival to all opposition supporters, and we're the most hated club in the land (not Collingwood anymore), and if you hate a club you see them as your rival and do all you can to stop them, even change rules.

So who do Richmond see as their rivals, then, and only then, can we know what are the main two way rivalries in the AFL? In my opinion I see Carlton and Collingwood as rivals, so they are two way rivalries.
Do you know how to tell a 1 way rivalry?

It's when one club always compares themselves to another.

Except for certain threads in here, you never see Collingwood supporters talking about or comparing the club to Richmond, but Richmond supporters don't stop comparing themselves to Collingwood.

Do you know how to tell a 1 way rivalry?

It's when one club always compares themselves to another.

Except for certain threads in here, you never see Collingwood supporters talking about or comparing the club to Richmond, but Richmond supporters don't stop comparing themselves to Collingwood.
Do you agree with me that Richmond has taken Collingwood's place as the biggest and most hated club in the land?

My answer to the Geelong supporters question is, that it's a two way rivalry, because Collingwood is the 2nd biggest club in the land that surely wants to be the biggest again.

I think the better question would've been is Richmond vs Geelong a two way rivalry, but, the Geelong supporter asked about Richmond vs Collingwood, why do you think that is?

Do you agree with me that Richmond has taken Collingwood's place as the biggest and most hated club in the land?

My answer to the Geelong supporters question is, that it's a two way rivalry, because Collingwood is the 2nd biggest club in the land that surely wants to be the biggest again.

I think the better question would've been is Richmond vs Geelong a two way rivalry, but, the Geelong supporter asked about Richmond vs Collingwood, why do you think that is?
If it makes you feel good, then ok, you are the biggest.

But I can tell you now, you are in no way a rival of most Collingwood supporters.

Fitzroy was more a rival than Richmond, Carlton is a 2 way rivalry.

Thanks for the win on Sunday. You are the club that just keeps on giving to Collingwood. Thanks so much

That’s true. We gave it to you in 1969, 1973, 1980. We gave you your coach, chief assistant and we gave you your game style. We gave you “connectedness.” You are trying to be us. And it is flattering. Thank you. 😍

What you will find we did not give you is the ability to smash the back out of finals series. 😁😎

If it makes you feel good, then ok, you are the biggest.

But I can tell you now, you are in no way a rival of most Collingwood supporters.

Fitzroy was more a rival than Richmond, Carlton is a 2 way rivalry.

Lol. Join the enormous queue of people trying to pretend Richmond aren’t Richmond any way they can to help them deal with the scary reality of the risen tiger.

We are the only team in history to win 3 flags and be universally labelled “irrelevant,” because to acknowledge our relevance is to face a reality with which Collingwood, Geelong and certain other supporters just cannot cope. It is magnificent. 😁

Lol. Join the enormous queue of people trying to pretend Richmond aren’t Richmond any way they can to help them deal with the scary reality of the risen tiger.

We are the only team in history to win 3 flags and be universally labelled “irrelevant,” because to acknowledge our relevance is to face a reality with which Collingwood, Geelong and certain other supporters just cannot cope. It is magnificent. 😁
Wow, this post actually looks like you are trying to force me to think of you as a rival.

If you would like to know, if there is such a thing as a second team, Richmond is mine.

You just have to look on this site, Collingwood supporters don't talk about Richmond unless the thread is about them, but Richmond supporters seem to need to be bigger than Collingwood for some reason, just look how happy that last poster is, because I said Richmond are biggest.

A 'one way rivalry' wouldn't really be a rivalry by definition...but, as a neutral...I never thought of them having much of a rivalry, but I'm only 36 and didn't grow up in Vic. Only memorable game of any import that springs to mind was the 2018 prelim. In hindsight I'm grateful the Pies snatched it, Richmond would be a tougher prospect in a GF. Guess they conspired to ruin a potential 4 peat...

That’s true. We gave it to you in 1969, 1973, 1980. We gave you your coach, chief assistant and we gave you your game style. We gave you “connectedness.” You are trying to be us. And it is flattering. Thank you. 😍

What you will find we did not give you is the ability to smash the back out of finals series. 😁😎

Such a meteoric fall. Typical Richmond trying to cherry pick other clubs to credit themselves. You gave us nothing. Matthews and the Lions system handed you the world and you try to claim it. You even gave us 3 Premierships in a row, incredible really. Fancy allowing us to beat you 3 Grand Finals in a row on our way to a mighty fourth. Never been done before. You think the odds would be that you win one of them. 'Hey Whitey, that's my rabbit'. Even better you allowed yourself to choke in 2018 and allow us to defend those 4 magnificent Premierships. The paltry little club down the road who walks meekly in our shadow. We love the hold we have on you.

Wow, this post actually looks like you are trying to force me to think of you as a rival.

If you would like to know, if there is such a thing as a second team, Richmond is mine.

You just have to look on this site, Collingwood supporters don't talk about Richmond unless the thread is about them, but Richmond supporters seem to need to be bigger than Collingwood for some reason, just look how happy that last poster is, because I said Richmond are biggest.

No no no no no Loungey. You do not get it. You are supposed to hate us. It is your honour bound duty as a Collingwood supporter to do so. My ex-nephew, who is a Collingwood supporter, he despises us. Even at 16 years of age, he gets it. When Collingwood are up and about he loves footy. When Tigers are up and about, he “doesn’t really care about footy.” He is a proper filth supporter.

The OP in asking whether Richmond and Collingwood have a one-sided rivalry is trying to insult Richmond fans. He is insulting non-Richmond fans. He or she is saying only Richmond fans are capable of stepping up to the plate for their team to defend the club’s honour against hated rivals. And that Geelong and Collingwood fans need to pretend they don’t hate getting beaten by the Tigers because “who cares about them anyway.” Surely there are some Cats and Pies fans out there with enough hairs on their chest to stand up and admit they hate the Tigers? Or are we the last club standing in the bitter suburban warfare that has accompanied our game since its formation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At one stage in the past yes, Jack Dyer supposedly couldn't even watch black and white tv because of his hate for the pies, and it could have reignited if Collingwood made the 2019 GF instead of GWS, back to back big finals would have been huge not to mention the massive fan bases of the two. Rivalries barely exist in the afl now. I don't mind collingwood myself, would even be close to my second team due to family connections, also love Carmichael

Last edited:
No no no no no Loungey. You do not get it. You are supposed to hate us. It is your honour bound duty as a Collingwood supporter to do so. My ex-nephew, who is a Collingwood supporter, he despises us. Even at 16 years of age, he gets it. When Collingwood are up and about he loves footy. When Tigers are up and about, he “doesn’t really care about footy.” He is a proper filth supporter.

The OP in asking whether Richmond and Collingwood have a one-sided rivalry is trying to insult Richmond fans. He is insulting non-Richmond fans. He or she is saying only Richmond fans are capable of stepping up to the plate for their team to defend the club’s honour against hated rivals. And that Geelong and Collingwood fans need to pretend they don’t hate getting beaten by the Tigers because “who cares about them anyway.” Surely there are some Cats and Pies fans out there with enough hairs on their chest to stand up and admit they hate the Tigers? Or are we the last club standing in the bitter suburban warfare that has accompanied our game since its formation?
I seriously are not sure if this is a serious post or not, because this is the kind of post Richmond supporters put up regularly, it's quite sad.

Every thread needs to be about Richmond or they start sooking.

Such a meteoric fall. Typical Richmond trying to cherry pick other clubs to credit themselves. You gave us nothing. Matthews and the Lions system handed you the world and you try to claim it. You even gave us 3 Premierships in a row, incredible really. Fancy allowing us to beat you 3 Grand Finals in a row on our way to a mighty fourth. Never been done before. You think the odds would be that you win one of them. 'Hey Whitey, that's my rabbit'. Even better you allowed yourself to choke in 2018 and allow us to defend those 4 magnificent Premierships. The paltry little club down the road who walks meekly in our shadow. We love the hold we have on you.

The hold you had on us in the six finals that preceded 2018 which went 6-0 and 3 flags to us you mean?

And I will tell you one thing SOTY, we will not have “allowed” you to win your 3 flags in a row in the late 1920’s. You will have earned it. We don’t need to resile from our failures or pretend they mean nothing to us the way you do. But then I suppose you have completely capitulated to us in so many big finals to allow us to storm to Premierships that you need to invent some angle. It is all about ownership SOTY. We don’t need to pretend our losses didn’t happen and point only to our victories, and in so doing ignore 83 years of reality - 83 years you didn’t beat us in any final. Our losses burn SOTY, and we own them. Your losses burn, and you try to disown them. That is the difference. You owned us for 3 years. We owned you for 83 years. It is all about ownership. 😁

I seriously are not sure if this is a serious post or not, because this is the kind of post Richmond supporters put up regularly, it's quite sad.

Every thread needs to be about Richmond or they start sooking.

Now that is more like it. Warfare. Only thing is this thread was already about us, so not any sort of challenge for us to make it about us. 😁

Now that is more like it. Warfare. Only thing is this thread was already about us, so not any sort of challenge for us to make it about us. 😁
I'm talking about all threads all of the time.

This is what i'm trying to tell you, Richmond are just another game to Collingwood, it's like playing the Bulldogs or the Saints.

And if you think you have the wood on us in big finals, ie: GF's, so does every other club, but we are not rivals with them either, Carlton are our rivals, then probably Essendon.

I'm talking about all threads all of the time.

This is what i'm trying to tell you, Richmond are just another game to Collingwood, it's like playing the Bulldogs or the Saints.

And if you think you have the wood on us in big finals, ie: GF's, so does every other club, but we are not rivals with them either, Carlton are our rivals, then probably Essendon.

You are probably thinking about it in the context of your lifetime.

Carlton and Collingwood always seems to have been the biggest rivalry because there is a bit of class hatred mixed in with all the football stuff probably.

But through the ages Collingwood and Richmond has been the second biggest rivalry, between two neighbouring working class suburbs. And of course Carlton and Richmond is also a huge historical rivalry that was forged is class warfare and in many finals and grand finals. I may be wrong but I suspect the 23 finals in which Carlton and Richmond have met is the highest number of finals any two teams have played against each other. Actually just checked that and Collingwood have met Geelong in 25 finals which I am sure is the most frequent finals match-up in VFL/AFL history. But the Cats were not part of the Melbourne suburban landscape of course.

These rivalries were and are very real. They are just hidden from view in the modern context. But they will soon spring back to life if there is a run of finals between any of the big four clubs. You have to remember that while Collingwood and Richmond despise each other in one way both clubs have very similar roots, working class Irish Catholic left leaning football clubs. Carlton and Essendon fox hunting faux aristocratic tory voting protestant namby-pamby clubs who think it is their privilege to rule. So historically Richmond and Collingwood have been bitter rivals on one hand but respected each other at the same time.

Roy Morgan says other wise. Collingwood 735,000 to Richmond 507,000!!

Now let’s talk about attendances. Last time Richmond drew bigger criticism then Collingwood was in 2018!!

Also Collingwood at 9.2 million in front of Richmond in total home and away attendances. Hey Carlton and Essendon have draw 2.2 and 2 million more then Richmond respectively. Richmond have never been the biggest club tho Richmond fans lose sleep every night as soon as Collingwood fans particularly south of the Yarra prove time and time again that Collingwood is the biggest club!

If you are not a member you are not part of the club, if you are not part of the club you do not make up the size of the club comprede? There is no other club in the world even outside of sports that determines it’s size outside of members.

This is getting beyond ridiculous, you are starting to sound like port supporters with their ‘37 flags’ and prison bar guernseys. 🤮

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You are probably thinking about it in the context of your lifetime.

Carlton and Collingwood always seems to have been the biggest rivalry because there is a bit of class hatred mixed in with all the football stuff probably.

But through the ages Collingwood and Richmond has been the second biggest rivalry, between two neighbouring working class suburbs. And of course Carlton and Richmond is also a huge historical rivalry that was forged is class warfare and in many finals and grand finals. I may be wrong but I suspect the 23 finals in which Carlton and Richmond have met is the highest number of finals any two teams have played against each other. Actually just checked that and Collingwood have met Geelong in 25 finals which I am sure is the most frequent finals match-up in VFL/AFL history. But the Cats were not part of the Melbourne suburban landscape of course.

These rivalries were and are very real. They are just hidden from view in the modern context. But they will soon spring back to life if there is a run of finals between any of the big four clubs. You have to remember that while Collingwood and Richmond despise each other in one way both clubs have very similar roots, working class Irish Catholic left leaning football clubs. Carlton and Essendon fox hunting faux aristocratic tory voting protestant namby-pamby clubs who think it is their privilege to rule. So historically Richmond and Collingwood have been bitter rivals on one hand but respected each other at the same time.
I was talking to Scott Pendlebury a while ago, asked him if the players feel a rivalry between clubs, he said only Carlton and only because of the supporters, a lot of the players are mates.

I was talking to Scott Pendlebury a while ago, asked him if the players feel a rivalry between clubs, he said only Carlton and only because of the supporters, a lot of the players are mates.
Are you making that up? When did you talk to him, was it after you wrote "probably Essendon" was a rival?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back