Collingwood-Richmond, is it a one way or two way rivalry?

Selfield

Debutant
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
How do neutrals see the Collingwood-Richmond rivalry? Is it a genuine two way rivalry that runs both ways, or is it a one way rivalry?

I ask this because it seems like it's mostly a one way rivalry from Richmond's end, while Collingwood don't seem to care about Richmond as much as Richmond care about Collingwood.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Lol no, why would anybody have a rivalry with a club that gifts everybody flags? Their poor supporters live in the past cause they are no good anymore (2 flags in 60 years). So they keep bringing up the 1920s 4peat and think they are still the biggest club even though they haven’t been for half a decade now. Pretty sad, they’ve got nothing else going for them anymore, may as well fold.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

DopeMaster

Fair Legend
Apr 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lol no, why would anybody have a rivalry with a club that gifts everybody flags? Their poor supporters live in the past cause they are no good anymore (2 flags in 60 years). So they keep bringing up the 1920s 4peat and think they are still the biggest club even though they haven’t been for half a decade now. Pretty sad, they’ve got nothing else going for them anymore, may as well fold.

This post is a beautiful illustration of the OP’s contention…

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Must admit, I was abit envious during those 3 flags, as I was during Hawthorn’s and Geelong’s but that’s probably natural, and most AFL fans felt the same.

Now that they’re back at 9th and below, I don’t care about them anymore. I’ll go into the threads with the arguments and have a laugh. Kinda how a Rottweiler just stares blankly at a Jack Russell as it yaps away.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Isn’t there enough on the MB and these two teams and the other two supposed ‘big 4’ teams? The big 4 aren’t who everyone bangs on about.
It seems they are who everyone bangs on about. The five threads about these sides on the first page were started by St Kilda, Port, Geelong, Sydney and WCE supporters lol

Jim Levenstein

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood

Half a decade? You mean half a century

Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
How do neutrals see the Collingwood-Richmond rivalry? Is it a genuine two way rivalry that runs both ways, or is it a one way rivalry?

I ask this because it seems like it's mostly a one way rivalry from Richmond's end, while Collingwood don't seem to care about Richmond as much as Richmond care about Collingwood.

I detect Geelong supporters resorting now to subterfuge to undermine Richmond

From all I have read about the poaching war between these clubs in the early 80s, it was perhaps one of the most bitter rivalry in the games history

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just what we needed - another "Collingwood vs Richmond rivalry" thread. This is like those people who pay two drunks in booze to punch on together and then video it for social media clicks.
Cleary we’ll get more social media clicks from Collingwood supporters because they have more supporters. So neeerrrr!

But I also wasn’t aware we had a rivalry with North so….

Probably best way to illustrate you don't care or think of something is to not actually bring it up.

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I view Carlton & Essendon more as our main rivals. When the fixture comes out I always check first when we play them, or check if we play them twice etc.
You can sense it at the ground too. It’s a more tense build up.
And yes.. I am more happy when the Blues & Dons lose. That’s just how it is.

It is a very one sided domination we have over the Tigers. We lead them 4-2 in Premierships against each other have a Head to Head lead of 120-92 and they haven’t beaten us in a final in over 41 years.
The fact I want the Tigers to win when they play Carlton, Essendon, Port, Brisbane and Melbourne shows where they sit.
Whilst Collingwood Richmond have a massive traditional neighbourhood rivalry it stemmed from Collingwood embarrassing Richmond by defeating them in 3 Grand Finals in a row. Blues our biggest rival easily.

Last edited:

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
The rivalry existed once upon a time. Anyone older than 50, growing up going to a packed MCG there was nothing bigger than Richmond Collingwood, regularly in the 80,000+ mark. Carlton were the other team in that equation. It was feral it was great.
Then it all went to pot after the poaching wars that stuffed Richmond for a long time. Collingwood has won two flags since but have not been a powerhouse in a long time either. The rivalry is not what it used to be, but if both teamed peaked again and met on Grand Final day if would be big.

Last edited:

The OP is projecting. Like so many Geelong supporters, he's desperate that his little club be rivals to Richmond, the biggest and most successful club in the land. Only to be ignored, at best giggled at, and unrequited.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
It is a very one sided domination we have over the Tigers. We lead them 4-2 in Premierships against each other have a Head to Head lead of 120-92 and they haven’t beaten us in a final in over 41 years.
The fact I want the Tigers to win when they play Carlton, Essendon, Port, Brisbane and Melbourne shows where they sit.
Whilst Collingwood Richmond have a massive traditional neighbourhood rivalry it stemmed from Collingwood embarrassing Richmond by defeating them in 3 Grand Finals in a row. Blues our biggest rival easily.

How many finals have we played together in those 41 years?

Back