Collingwood-Richmond, is it a one way or two way rivalry?

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
They might give out all those things at the end of a Grand Final replay pz, but a Grand Final replay is no more a Grand Final than a Grand Final is a Grand Final replay.

I mean if they called this year’s Grand Final the Grand Final replay, wouldn’t you find that odd? So you can’t call a Grand Final replay a Grand Final, they are two separate things.

And the hapless Pies have won one Grand Final in 63 years. It isn’t very many. 😁
Nah, it counts

Dec 26, 2022
Cork
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton Cork GAA Montreal Canadiens
I think Collingwood fans see ourselves and historically Melbourne as their biggest rivals. Richmond fans probably hate both us and the Pies equally. So perhaps it's a slightly one way rivalry on the Tigers supporters side.

Dec 26, 2022
Cork
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton Cork GAA Montreal Canadiens
My maths is better than you are giving credit for. I would contend it is your maths that is astray. Collingwood did not win the Grand Final in 2010, they drew it. 1990 is their only Grand Final win in the last 63 seasons, soon to be 64. 😁

1 Grand Final win, 2 Premierships.

Reminds me of a mate who we congratulated on the both of his twins after he had earlier welcomed their older brother to the family. his dry reply was that he was the only bastard in Victoria to ever have only 2 roots and get 3 kids out of it. 🤣
Erm yes Collingwood did win the 2010 grand final. They drew the first game and won the replay.:rolleyesv1: Didn't they also beat you guys in three out of their four in a row winning grand finals?

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
4 points is 4 points, but generally we see Collingwood, Carlton and probably Essendon as bigger scalps than other teams most of the time. All four clubs are powerhouses when travelling well, but sleeping giants when in a sustained period of under-performance.

Collingwood seem to have a pretty big rivalry with a number of clubs, so I don't think their Tiger rivalry is anything more or less special than a few of those. It'll probably mean a fair bit in 2023 though, with both clubs a genuine premiership chance going into the season. A Richmond-Collingwood GF would be insane in this day and age.

I recall when the Bombers were massive in the 1990's and Sheedy had built (sometimes contrived, but often genuine) some significant rivalries with a number of other clubs.

Collingwood - Anzac Day
Richmond - his "other child" who he used as leverage every 3-4 years to get a shiny new lucrative contract at Windy Hill
Carlton - 93 GF, 99 PF
Hawthorn - the 80's GF's
North - marshmallows
Geelong - city vs country
West Coast - scarf waving, seagull
etc.

And each of these provided the Bombers at the time with recurring blockbusters, no doubt equipping his players with better big match tolerance. It was smart.

White Dogg

Senior List
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
How can we possibly expect that to happen whilst:
  • Carlton can't make finals;
  • Essendon can't win finals, and
  • Richmond have been pathetic for 35 of the past 40 seasons.

??????????
We've won the same amount of flags and spoons as Collingwood in the AFL era. Sure we've been bad but Carlton have been next level bad.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
We've won the same amount of flags and spoons as Collingwood in the AFL era. Sure we've been bad but Carlton have been next level bad.
Doesn't change my post.

In the past 21 seasons:
Collingwood 37 finals games
Richmond 16 finals games
Essendon 12 finals games
Carlton 6 finals games

Pies have played more finals than the other 3 teams combined.

o_Oo_Oo_O

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Doesn't change my post.

In the past 21 seasons:
Richmond 16 finals games
Essendon 12 finals games
Carlton 6 finals games

o_Oo_Oo_O

Grand Final wins in that time:

3 Richmond

0 Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton.

Fortunately however, Collingwood, despite not winning a Grand FInal in the period in question, burgled a Premiership. So we can then say…..

Richmond have won 3 x as many Premierships as the other 3 combined.

taylor-swift-boom.gif

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Doesn't change my post.

In the past 21 seasons:
Richmond 16 finals games
Essendon 12 finals games
Carlton 6 finals games

o_Oo_Oo_O

The context of the discussion was 'when was the last time the Big 4 all qualified for finals in the same season'...
If thats the context then post the year they all qualified rather than posting how many finals games they participated in the last 21 years ???

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If thats the context then post the year they all qualified rather than posting how many finals games they participated in the last 21 years ???
I don't know off the top of my head and doesn't interest me enough to look it up.

My comment was that It's been impossible to achieve in recent times due to the long term mediocrity of 3 of the 4 clubs in question.

mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
When was the last time the big4 were competing for finals at same time?
1973. All four made the then final 5.

1. Collingwood
2. Richmond (Premiers)
3. Carlton
4. Essendon
5. St Kilda

• Bombers lost the Elim Final (some things haven't changed lol)
  • Tiges lost to the Blues in the Qualifying final.
  • Pies suffering full blown colliwobbles went out in straight sets. Blues trailing by 12 pts midway last quarter kicked the last 5 goals of the 2nd SF & Royce Hart on one leg came off the bench after HT in the Prelim with the Tiges down by 6 goals and helped turn the game. KB with the sealer in the final minute.

- Of course, the GF between Richmond & Carlton is famous for this:

The only other time the Big 4 made the finals together was the year before in 1972.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
1973. All four made the then final 5.

1. Collingwood
2. Richmond (Premiers)
3. Carlton
4. Essendon
5. St Kilda

• Bombers lost the Elim Final (some things haven't changed lol)
  • Tiges lost to the Blues in the Qualifying final.
  • Pies suffering full blown colliwobbles went out in straight sets. Blues trailing by 12 pts midway last quarter kicked the last 5 goals of the 2nd SF & Royce Hart on one leg came off the bench after HT in the Prelim with the Tiges down by 6 goals and helped turn the game. KB with the sealer in the final minute.

- Of course, the GF between Richmond & Carlton is famous for this:

The only other time the Big 4 made the finals together was the year before in 1972.

What's really interestiing is its only happened 2 times in history.

Though with a final 5 and final 4 many years ago, not much margin for error.

Good chance that 3 of the 4 make it in 2023.

mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
What's really interestiing is its only happened 2 times in history.

Though with a final 5 and final 4 many years ago, not much margin for error.

Good chance that 3 of the 4 make it in 2023.
1972 was the first year of the Final 5. So, all four playing finals together never occurred under the original Final 4 system.

And yep, 3 of the 4 making finals together was more common prior to the competition going national.

CA, CO, RI: (18) ... 1916, 1919-21, 1927-32, 1935, 1967, 1969, 1972-73, 1975, 1980, 2013.

CA, CO, ES: (17) ... 1904-06, 1908-11, 1922, 1949, 1959, 1972-73, 1979, 1981, 1984, 2009, 2011.

CA, ES, RI: (8) ... 1941, 1943, 1947, 1972-73, 1982, 1995, 2001.

CO, ES, RI: (3) ... 1972-73, 2019.

Richmond and Essendon have this weird historical connection. Aside from a few exceptions, where when one is up and winning flags, the other is down in the doldrums.

Oddly enough since the VFL expanded into the AFL and the draft system was introduced, 3 of the Big 4 playing finals together has only occurred six times despite a Final 8 system. Explains why the Big 4 rivalries haven't been as prominent as they once were. Compare that to your mob Geelong, Hawthorn & Sydney who have made 9 of the past 18 finals together collecting 10 flags in total.

While past history plays a major part, regularly playing knockout finals against another club is what stirs up a rivalry. Jack Dyer's generation saw Collingwood as Richmond's main rival thanks to 5 Grand Final clashes in the space of a decade. Whereas many Tiger supporters who lived through the late 60s to early 80s see Carlton as the chief archenemy.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
I think Collingwood fans see ourselves and historically Melbourne as their biggest rivals. Richmond fans probably hate both us and the Pies equally. So perhaps it's a slightly one way rivalry on the Tigers supporters side.

No, I hate Carlton more. Apart from our recent flags, nothing has given me greater joy regarding footy than seeing your club suffer for almost 30 years.

I was on the pie's bandwagon in your last game. That result was good for football.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
No, I hate Carlton more. Apart from our recent flags, nothing has given me greater joy regarding footy than seeing your club suffer for almost 30 years.

I was on the pie's bandwagon in your last game. That result was good for football.
I cant hate Carlton any more , I feel sorry for them and their young supporters and all the kids under 30 years old that have never seen the power house carlton used to be once upon a time. Same goes for Essendon and Collingwood really just 2 flags in 64 years is just way too much pain for any supporter base.

I also used to feel sorry for Regional clubs but the Cats supporters have become a pain and deserve some pain and its on its way so will enjoy watching them squirm.

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I cant hate Carlton any more , I feel sorry for them and their young supporters and all the kids under 30 years old that have never seen the power house carlton used to be once upon a time. Same goes for Essendon and Collingwood really just 2 flags in 64 years is just way too much pain for any supporter base.

I also used to feel sorry for Regional clubs but the Cats supporters have become a pain and deserve some pain and its on its way so will enjoy watching them squirm.
Richmond and Geelong is a modern day rivalry for sure.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

F*cking what. :oops:

excuse-me-but.gif

My ex-nephew is a Collingwood supporter. I have not spoken to my sister in 35 years, she is a Carlton supporter. And my assistant who does some work for me is a Bomber supporter, I regularly sack him and reinstate him on half pay. I am a very tolerant person but you have to stand up for what is right in this world. ;)

Last edited:
Back