Collingwood-Richmond, is it a one way or two way rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe majority of the country would have been happy to see the little man finally get some success after so long. We have been s**t nearing 30 years but I can tell you no Collingwood fan would be happy to see us win anything. That's the difference between a rivalry and this little one sided victim complex you have cooked up for yourselves.
Spot on. I was genuinely happy for the Tiges in 2017 and 2020. Was too pissed by the end of the game in 2019 to give a s**t

He was probably wearing a Richmond guernsey like many of the rest of us, ecstatic for our long suffering Richmond supporting friends who had resigned themselves to never seeing another Richmond premiership...
Rare time I agree with you. Even for their third premiership I somehow got involved in the celebrations and got to touch the cup. If that was Collingwood you couldn't pay me enough to still be there.

I believe majority of the country would have been happy to see the little man finally get some success after so long. We have been s**t nearing 30 years but I can tell you no Collingwood fan would be happy to see us win anything. That's the difference between a rivalry and this little one sided victim complex you have cooked up for yourselves.
Let me guess. You were born in the 1990's.

One thing's for sure, try as I might, I can't bring myself to despise the non-Vic clubs as much as our traditional Vic rivals. My dad was a lifelong Tiger and used to always barrack for any of the Vic clubs whenever they played a non-Vic, which I just could never understand. I can't remember the last (non-Richmond) grand final where I cheered for the Vic team over the non-Vic ... maybe the Saints over the Crows in 1998? Every other year I'm totally in "kick a Vic" mode.

I reckon five of my best ten mates in the world are Pies supporters, and while I love the lot of them like brothers, we heckle and pester each other about footy relentlessly, and I could never hope Collingwood win a flag, even for the sake of my mates. Hardly anybody I know in my friendship or acquaintance circles follows a non-Vic club, so I just don't have the deep-set rivalries for such clubs. BigFooty is seriously the only place I've ever really encountered a Freo supporter, and I'm yet to ever get the response "Dockers", "Giants" or "Suns" when I ask someone I've just met who they support.

But when your workplace and social circles are full of Maggies, Blues and Bombers, such rivalries are constantly maintained. Hawks, Dees, Cats etc are the next level down.

One thing's for sure, try as I might, I can't bring myself to despise the non-Vic clubs as much as our traditional Vic rivals. My dad was a lifelong Tiger and used to always barrack for any of the Vic clubs whenever they played a non-Vic, which I just could never understand. I can't remember the last (non-Richmond) grand final where I cheered for the Vic team over the non-Vic ... maybe the Saints over the Crows in 1998? Every other year I'm totally in "kick a Vic" mode.

I reckon five of my best ten mates in the world are Pies supporters, and while I love the lot of them like brothers, we heckle and pester each other about footy relentlessly, and I could never hope Collingwood win a flag, even for the sake of my mates. Hardly anybody I know in my friendship or acquaintance circles follows a non-Vic club, so I just don't have the deep-set rivalries for such clubs. BigFooty is seriously the only place I've ever really encountered a Freo supporter, and I'm yet to ever get the response "Dockers", "Giants" or "Suns" when I ask someone I've just met who they support.

But when your workplace and social circles are full of Maggies, Blues and Bombers, such rivalries are constantly maintained. Hawks, Dees, Cats etc are the next level down.
For all the success the Hawks have had, i think it would be fair to say that they still don't have the same support numbers that the traditional big four have.

Obviously as a Carlton fan i don't want any of Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond winning flags, but still though there would be a great buzz and excitement if all four of the Blues, Pies, Bombers and Tigers ever become premiership contenders all at once. Oh and yeah the non Vic clubs don't bother me either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all the success the Hawks have had, i think it would be fair to say that they still don't have the same support numbers that the traditional big four have.
Yeah, for all the success the Hawks have enjoyed in my lifetime - what is it, like 12 flags in fifty-ish years or something? - they just haven’t reached the rampant representativeness or in-your-face arrogance, obnoxiousness and plain mean-spiritness that us Pie, Blue, Tiger and Bomber ferals are capable of. I’ve found most of their supporters even relatively humble, at least in comparison to the Big 4 maniacs after sustained success.

Yeah, for all the success the Hawks have enjoyed in my lifetime - what is it, like 12 flags in fifty-ish years or something? - they just haven’t reached the rampant representativeness or in-your-face arrogance, obnoxiousness and plain mean-spiritness that us Pie, Blue, Tiger and Bomber ferals are capable of. I’ve found most of their supporters even relatively humble, at least in comparison to the Big 4 maniacs after sustained success.
The Hawks were a club with no winning tradition whatsoever. They were the laughing stock of the league for years.

In my opinion it wasn't until the mid to late 80's that they started to establish a reputation as a big club. What's really telling though is that the Hawks nearly went under five years after their 1991 flag win.

All that success still wasn't enough to bring in the paying members, but since the Melbourne Hawks debacle their membership started to grow substantially. Yeah the Hawks have had all this success, but they just don't bother me in the slightest for some reason.

The Hawks were a club with no winning tradition whatsoever. They were the laughing stock of the league for years.

In my opinion it wasn't until the mid to late 80's that they started to establish a reputation as a big club. What's really telling though is that the Hawks nearly went under five years after their 1991 flag win.

All that success still wasn't enough to bring in the paying members, but since the Melbourne Hawks debacle their membership started to grow substantially. Yeah the Hawks have had all this success, but they just don't bother me in the slightest for some reason.
Slightly off topic but the Hawks are a club with an inferiority complex despite five decades of on-field success.

Desperately want to be one of the big boys but never will be. Their bottom line has been inflated by selling 4 home games to Tasmania for years and a membership number that doesn't match bums on seats.

Once the Tassie government withdraw their funds and given a few more years in the bottom reaches of the ladder and they'll be looking for a new suitor.

Wannabe club.

We own the Tigers. Always have Always Will. They have just never been able to compete with us head to head

Premierships vs each other Collingwood 4 Richmond 2

Most recent finals win - Collingwood

Richmond haven't beaten Collingwood in a final in 42 years.

Head to Head - Collingwood 120 Richmond 92

Total score against each other Collingwood 2565.2765 Richmond 2411.2587

We own nearly every crowd record they desperately want

A really one sided rivalry due to our dominance over them.

We own the Tigers. Always have Always Will. They have just never been able to compete with us head to head

Premierships vs each other Collingwood 4 Richmond 2

Most recent finals win - Collingwood

Richmond haven't beaten Collgwood in a final in 42 years.

Head to Head - Collingwood 120 Richmond 92

Total score against each other Collingwood 2565.2765 Richmond 2411.2587

We own nearly every crowd record they desperately want

A really one sided rivalry due to our dominance over them.

Obviously as a Carlton fan i don't want any of Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond winning flags, but still though there would be a great buzz and excitement if all four of the Blues, Pies, Bombers and Tigers ever become premiership contenders all at once. Oh and yeah the non Vic clubs don't bother me either.
This year Preliminary finals weekend will be:
Coll vs Rich 7:50PM Friday 22nd Sept MCG
Carl vs Ess 4:35PM Sat 23rd Sept MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back