Collingwood-Richmond, is it a one way or two way rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

I can understand why Collingwood supporters see Carlton as their most hated club, particularly for those who grew up in the 1970's. For Carlton has owned Collingwood in the modern era. Grand Final victories against Collingwood in 1970, 1979 and 1981 without any revenge dished out would make one very, very salty. GF loses where Collingwood was in a strong winning position in each of them. Ouch.
'The Modern Era', which was over 40 years ago.

o_Oo_Oo_O

No doubt it would depend on your age as to the level of "hate" you have for a particular rival.

Those born in the 1980's or later have developed their football biases in the shadow of Richmond being irrelevant. And fair enough too, for we were sh!thouse for a long time as a result of our own stupidity.

As for those born in the 1960's, make no mistake, the Richmond/Collingwood rivalry was fierce. And if we go back to the vintage of Jack Dyer and Lou Richards it was war.

I can understand why Collingwood supporters see Carlton as their most hated club, particularly for those who grew up in the 1970's. For Carlton has owned Collingwood in the modern era. Grand Final victories against Collingwood in 1970, 1979 and 1981 without any revenge dished out would make one very, very salty. GF loses where Collingwood was in a strong winning position in each of them. Ouch!!

In my lifetime, Carlton are the only team to beat Richmond in the two GF's we have lost. Hence why I "hate" them the most. But I've had the pleasure of seeing Richmond beat Carlton in two GF's to square the ledger. Something Collingwood supporters haven't.

Carlton and Essendon have been irrelevant for a long time, but don't confuse their current plight with the deep seeded rivalries that were sewn many decades ago.
I'm born 1960 so saw the Tigers big eras. Hated them big time in the 70s, not as much as Carlton but the hate has never got back to that level

If you've grown up in Melbourne. Went to primary school in the 1960's or 1970's. Joined the workforce in the 1980's or 1990's and are a passionate supporter of either Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton or Essendon - then you loathe the other 3. For me, in order: Carlton, Essendon, then Collingwood.

The rivalries are real. Throw any combination of those 4 clubs, even when their half travelling ok, and they'd fill the 'G.

Any Collingwood supporter who tries to belittle Richmond by suggesting it's a one way rivalry is either: a) green with envy, b) not been around long enough, or c) not a passionate supporter.
In Six (nee Five/nee Four) Nations rugby, the Triple Crown is awarded if one of Ireland, England, Wales or Scotland beat all of the other three fierce rivals in any given season.

I've always regarded any season we beat all three of Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon as winning the Triple Crown. Done it quite a bit lately.

2022 - Richmond
2019 - Richmond and Collingwood
2018 - Richmond and Collingwood
2017 - Richmond
2016 - Richmond and Collingwood
2015 - Richmond (Double Triple)

Nah. Especially Carlton. Dont want to ever see them contend under any circumstance. I just have a thought and fervent hope that despite some merit in their current list the Blues have lived in mediocrity and much worse for generations now that its become ingrained in their DNA. A new Saint Kilda themed club if you like. That they are now destined to throw away whatever riches they are given time and time again. Ultimately it will cancel their successful history and their supporters will just be shells, shells who have lost the fight and just accept their place as a nothing club.

Now that is something really worth praying for.
Four flags in eigthy six going on eighty seven years mate. That sounds like a mediocre enough record to me. Since 1958 you've only won one more flag than St Kilda.

Your club is infamous for losing grand finals and ingrained institutional racism. The Pies have a shameful history with regards to their historical treatment/mistreatment of the native aboriginal Australian people. Your so called biggest fan is a disgrace as well!

I'd hate for Carlton to become a disgusting trashcan of a club like the Pies tbh. We still have more flags than your rabble as well. We were winning flags before your club even existed. I'll always look down my nose at your mob tbh! My feelings towards Collingwood are a combination of both contempt and pity really.:smilev1:

Last edited:
Yeah, we've been handed these last 27 years of Carlton failure like an unexpected yet joyful gift from the gods, to the point where I might've even become a little complacent in my loathing of the Blues at times. There may even have been the brief moment of pity here and there by yours truly.

And yet we know full well that if/when they get going again, their supporters will quickly remind us of why we despise that club so much.
You sure got that right Jim.:D

No doubt it would depend on your age as to the level of "hate" you have for a particular rival.

Those born in the 1980's or later have developed their football biases in the shadow of Richmond being irrelevant. And fair enough too, for we were sh!thouse for a long time as a result of our own stupidity.

As for those born in the 1960's, make no mistake, the Richmond/Collingwood rivalry was fierce. And if we go back to the vintage of Jack Dyer and Lou Richards it was war.

I can understand why Collingwood supporters see Carlton as their most hated club, particularly for those who grew up in the 1970's. For Carlton has owned Collingwood in the modern era. Grand Final victories against Collingwood in 1970, 1979 and 1981 without any revenge dished out would make one very, very salty. GF loses where Collingwood was in a strong winning position in each of them. Ouch!!

In my lifetime, Carlton are the only team to beat Richmond in the two GF's we have lost. Hence why I "hate" them the most. But I've had the pleasure of seeing Richmond beat Carlton in two GF's to square the ledger. Something Collingwood supporters haven't.

Carlton and Essendon have been irrelevant for a long time, but don't confuse their current plight with the deep seeded rivalries that were sewn many decades ago.
I'd say the Bombers are a bigger irrelevance imo. Now Carltons record since 2000 is bad as well, but thankfully we haven't gone nearly twenty years without winning a finals game though! Essendon were are an irrelevance in the 70's as well of course. They were no marks before Kevin Sheedy went there and then they went back to being an irrelevance again when he left. It took a Richmond man to get Essendon winning again, likewise it took an Essendon man in Damien Hardwick to get Richmond winning again!

In Six (nee Five/nee Four) Nations rugby, the Triple Crown is awarded if one of Ireland, England, Wales or Scotland beat all of the other three fierce rivals in any given season.

I've always regarded any season we beat all three of Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon as winning the Triple Crown. Done it quite a bit lately.

2022 - Richmond
2019 - Richmond and Collingwood
2018 - Richmond and Collingwood
2017 - Richmond
2016 - Richmond and Collingwood
2015 - Richmond (Double Triple)
I never thought of looking at things that way. Here's the triple crowns Carlton have won going right back to our 1968 flag win. 1968 1969 1970 1972 1973 1975 1976 1979 1980 1985 1986 1987 1988 1993 1995 1996 1997 1999 2005 2012. Yeah that's correct, we've only won two triple crowns since 1999! We really did make hay while the sun shined during your mid to late 80's collapse though!

I never thought of looking at things that way. Here's the triple crowns Carlton have won going right back to our 1968 flag win. 1968 1969 1970 1972 1973 1975 1976 1979 1980 1985 1986 1987 1988 1993 1995 1996 1997 1999 2005 2012. Yeah that's correct, we've only won two triple crowns since 1999! We really did make hay while the sun shined during your mid to late 80's collapse though!
Nice work. Lot bigger chance of getting one back when we all played each other twice too. There's a mathematical possibility of being years where all four clubs won it - too much homework for my liking though.

Strange thing is that while Richmond and Collingwood have a long history of rivalry and the fanbases can be loudly uncomplimentary to each other the fact is that both dislike Carlton even more.
I'm Tige to the core but have a bit of a soft spot for the maggies. I love to beat them but don't really dislike them.
Basically back in the time when the Big 4 rivalries were settling the Pies and Tiges were Irish. The Blues and Bombers were English. OK that is a huge generalisation - but it is essentially true. Both the Pies and Tiges loved taking Carlton - the establishment club - down a peg or two.
BTW Irish Bluebagger I think you should out yourself as a Tiger...you are Irish. You are one of us. I know you hum Tigerland on your way to work. Admit it.

Strange thing is that while Richmond and Collingwood have a long history of rivalry and the fanbases can be loudly uncomplimentary to each other the fact is that both dislike Carlton even more.
I'm Tige to the core but have a bit of a soft spot for the maggies. I love to beat them but don't really dislike them.
Basically back in the time when the Big 4 rivalries were settling the Pies and Tiges were Irish. The Blues and Bombers were English. OK that is a huge generalisation - but it is essentially true. Both the Pies and Tiges loved taking Carlton - the establishment club - down a peg or two.
BTW Irish Bluebagger I think you should out yourself as a Tiger...you are Irish. You are one of us. I know you hum Tigerland on your way to work. Admit it.
Ha ha ha not at all! I certainly would not describe Carlton as a british/protestant sectarian rabble in the way that Glasgow Rangers are.

Carlton had a club chaplain for years called Father Gerry Briglia, and certainly with the Italian connection Carlton became more of a catholic club as well. Really Carlton is a club for all people.

Essendon on the other hand are a different story entirely. They were founded by the McCracken family. McCracken of course is a northern Irish unionist surname, and the McCrackens hated Irish catholics with a passion! That was back then things changed when Kevin Sheedy went there. I think Sheeds has distant family links to county Cork as well.

True.

That's because Collingwood have not caused any living Richmond supporter any major angst. Only the 2018 prelim, the pain of which disappeared as Dom Sheed's goal shoved another GF loss up Collingwood's ar$e!

Carlton on the other hand have caused both Richmond and Collingwood grief.

Four flags in eigthy six going on eighty seven years mate. That sounds like a mediocre enough record to me. Since 1958 you've only won one more flag than St Kilda.

Your club is infamous for losing grand finals and ingrained institutional racism. The Pies have a shameful history with regards to their historical treatment/mistreatment of the native aboriginal Australian people. Your so called biggest fan is a disgrace as well!

I'd hate for Carlton to become a disgusting trashcan of a club like the Pies tbh. We still have more flags than your rabble as well. We were winning flags before your club even existed. I'll always look down my nose at your mob tbh! My feelings towards Collingwood are a combination of both contempt and pity really.:smilev1:
Ease up Irish.

Collingwood are not the only club where racism existed. Every club would be equally as guilty and the extent of which is impossible to quantify.

And if we're talking "disgusting trashcan" of a club, your club wouldn't be far off the head of the list. What do you think put Carlton where it's been for the last two decades?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say the Bombers are a bigger irrelevance imo. Now Carltons record since 2000 is bad as well, but thankfully we haven't gone nearly twenty years without winning a finals game though! Essendon were are an irrelevance in the 70's as well of course. They were no marks before Kevin Sheedy went there and then they went back to being an irrelevance again when he left. It took a Richmond man to get Essendon winning again, likewise it took an Essendon man in Damien Hardwick to get Richmond winning again!
For some strange reason Richmond and Essendon's historical paths have been largely the opposite of each other, despite the success of both clubs.

Through the 1970's Essendon was the sleeping giant whilst Richmond enjoyed success. Conversely, through the 1980's and 90's as the sleeping giant Essendon awoke from its slumber and began to experience, Richmond shot themselves in the foot and began their slumber. Roles reversed in recent times.

If both clubs can experience simultaneous periods at the pointy end of the ladder, I have no doubt this rivalry would be huge.

And, yes, it's lovely to have an old Essendon man lead us to glory. I was so envious of Essendon under Kevin Sheedy.

Ha. Irish BlueBaggar. That's an oxymoron in itself. You profess a knowledge of history right back to the oldest days of footy but conveniently forget who was also mistreated. Collingwood FC rose from the mistreatment of the Irish who lived there, spurned by the bluebloods up on Lygon St. We rose to become the most powerful force in Australian football

A Corkman, and I have many good relos spread around Enniskean, would know who they should be supporting and not turned their back on their history. History didnt begin 20 years ago. Maybe you are just another WestBrit.

5 spoons in 17 season through those years. For a club who once considered a spoon worth avoiding. That slips well below mediocre.

In my experience, it's a one way rivalry. Tigers fans are obsessed with the Pies ans their fans, and Pies fans don't really consider them a rival at all.

The biggest rivalry these days is Richmond vs the Rest/opposition supporters (least on the Internet

Ever since I joined the online community, only Essendon supporters late 90s/early-mid 00s) come close to the sheer insufferable smugness, Petty gloating and childish baiting that Tiger fans have indulged in (not just here but on social media too) in tbe last 5 years

The fact I was happy as a passionate Carlton supporter that Collingwood whipped them in the 2018 prelim final speaks volumes.

In my experience, it's a one way rivalry. Tigers fans are obsessed with the Pies ans their fans, and Pies fans don't really consider them a rival at all.

Carlton in all likelihood are Richmond's greatest/most hated rivals, whereas The Tigers will only be our third (the bitter and at times spiteful finals and Grand Finals in the 70s and early 80s has carried on/being passed down to future generations of Richmond fans.

The biggest rivalry these days is Richmond vs the Rest/opposition supporters (least on the Internet

Ever since I joined the online community, only Essendon supporters late 90s/early-mid 00s) come close to the sheer insufferable smugness, Petty gloating and childish baiting that Tiger fans have indulged in (not just here but on social media too) in tbe last 5 years

The fact I was happy as a passionate Carlton supporter that Collingwood whipped them in the 2018 prelim final speaks volumes.
Thanks mate. Could have really used your thoughts and prayers the following week too. 😂

Thanks mate. Could have really used your thoughts and prayers the following week too. 😂

I nearly got into a house party at Kew at the time watching that GF cause I went around dancing and hollering like a nitwit after Dom Sheed scored that goal.

Will never understand why there was so many Melbourne and Richmond supporters supporting the Eagles that day.

I would never expect neutral Victorian club supporters to barrack for us (Carlton) in a Grand Final, especially against a non Vic Club.

I nearly got into a house party at Kew at the time watching that GF cause I went around dancing and hollering like a nitwit after Dom Sheed scored that goal.

Will never understand why there was so many Melbourne and Richmond supporters supporting the Eagles that day.

I would never expect neutral Victorian club supporters to barrack for us (Carlton) in a Grand Final, especially against a non Vic Club.
Yeah I had a similar reaction

Remove this Banner Ad

Back