News Collingwood/Richmond - Why The Hate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond's officials were such ruthless campaigners in the late sixties and seventies. Had a begrudging respect for them but didn't like them.

And their fans are like Collingwood ferals (hugs and love) without any redeeming qualities.

When I worked at Vic Park and the MCG as an attendant/security the only times I was really cleaned up were by a group of Richmond fans (and an off duty cop).

I think there is a darkness in their fans' collective soul that is best turned on the enemy at war. Until then they need to be interned in a camp for public safety.

In reference to bigfooty, probably because there posters are like a brain dead hive mind.

You go onto their forum and it's just manic personal attacks and clueless posts. I don't say this lightly but they are a cancer to BigFooty and a cancer to football in general.

Loud and ignorant.

When I was 10 friends dad was a Richmond supporter, at friends Birthday party his dad was talking about the footy and said "Don't worry it's only Collingwood" when we were set to play them. They belted us, and I've hated them ever since. Not as much as Carlton though.

When I grew up they were strong and dominant with Carlton. Late 60's into 70's we had a list as good as those two but found ways of losing flags. 70, 72 when Greening was belted and 77 really stand out. Learnt to hate them with passion through that time, especially Bartlett the player. Havent reached the stage where I thought success for them was merited. Wish they rot forever with Carlton

Many people may have proffered different reasons for the hatred.
It's fair to say the intensity has simmered or been non-existent in the last 35+ years.
That all changed last year and continued on into this year.
Here's an article detailing when it supposedly began...
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bad-blood-aplenty-between-pies-and-tigers-20180918-p504fq.html
It is a good article because it corrects a fairy tale which was perpetuated by Dyer. He used to brag about punching up McHale's son in front of his father at Vic Park, when the reality was that honors were squared between Dyer and the young Collingwood ruckman. Dyer used to love saying the only time he was suspended was the four weeks he copped for handing out a smashing. He always left out that McHale also received 4.

In Dyer's twilight years, he started to lose the few marbles he began with. The news of Dyer's dementia was relayed to McHale Jnr, well into his 80s at the time. McHale's response,

"Yeah well I did hit him pretty hard."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

90% of Richmond supporters I know couldn't give a rats ass about Richmond prior to last year.
When they came good everyone jumped on like they had been 50 year die hard supporters.
Spit on their coach etc etc.
Yep that is it for me, one particular supporter who used to think I was crazy going to every game now she cries if she can't get a ticket.
Became a member two years ago, now knows it all. She got a ticket and immediately rang me possibly hoping I had missed out.
Now I hate them and Melbourne. No hate for Carlton at the moment, will wait five years when they might be competitive again.:p

I think we should turn that number 39 guy for Carlton's picture backwards. I like it.
Was a standard practice at Collingwood for a long time. Ron Todds picture did so for fifty years I reckon.

Yep that is it for me, one particular supporter who used to think I was crazy going to every game now she cries if she can't get a ticket.
Became a member two years ago, now knows it all. She got a ticket and immediately rang me possibly hoping I had missed out.
Now I hate them and Melbourne. No hate for Carlton at the moment, will wait five years when they might be competitive again.:p
Cmon Maggie I know you can multitask, its an XX natural trait. Keep the Richmond and Melbourne hate white hot but that doesnt mean the Carlton hate can't be just as bright. Should be brighter really.

Dan Minogue? Anybody? The bloke walked out based on a promise to some Ninth b******d. Bugger the war (not really), you don't walk away from the greatest club in the land, and then pinch a flag off us too. 1920 was a damn rotten year.

I now have 666 posts. Power of the beast baby!!! :devil:

Dan Minogue? Anybody? The bloke walked out based on a promise to some Ninth b******d. Bugger the war (not really), you don't walk away from the greatest club in the land, and then pinch a flag off us too. 1920 was a damn rotten year.

I now have 666 posts. Power of the beast baby!!! :devil:
Unleash it Friday night.

90% of Richmond supporters I know couldn't give a rats ass about Richmond prior to last year.
When they came good everyone jumped on like they had been 50 year die hard supporters.
Spit on their coach etc etc.

Bingo. Absolutely bursting at the seams full of hipster bandwagon supporters who like them because you get to say 'Yellow and Black' really loudly if they win

Many people may have proffered different reasons for the hatred.
It's fair to say the intensity has simmered or been non-existent in the last 35+ years.
That all changed last year and continued on into this year.
Here's an article detailing when it supposedly began...
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bad-blood-aplenty-between-pies-and-tigers-20180918-p504fq.html

After we win this weekend, there will be a similar article about the deep history of the Collingwood - Melbourne rivalry.

And then after we win the following week, there will be a similar article titled “A tale of two clubs” about the deep history of the Collingwood - Carlton rivalry and how one of them became 2018 Premiers and the other became 2018 Wooden Spooners.

They should be a great read, very much looking forward to them! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back