Collingwood seeks to tear up Queen's Birthday agreement with Melbourne

jack son 5

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2011
melb
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pies still pissed at Peter Jacksons comments at the start of the year.

How is this that succession plan going BTW?

Ed's been threatening and throwing toys out of the cot for years now. Why not keep a blockbuster game, rotate the gate and keep another MCG game.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Never actually knew Melbourne always had the home game... sounds like a few clubs could have had it but Collingwood agreed to be the perennial away side simply for the TV time.

To be honest the idea of a Club having two prime time matches is pretty insane but I also think the MND game would be way smarter as a Friday or Saturday night game Dees v Bombers.

Maybe the AFL arrange that and then Queen's birthday rotates between a Demons and Magpies home game for Queen's birthday?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Yea as a dees supporter it's time we share it not a big deal, the only thing I would say is if we do share it I would want 1 of our home games each year to be either queens birthday or Anzac eve, that way we still have a big pay day come in, I also think we should lobby to have the MND Freeze game against the bombers on a Friday night
Play us on the QB Monday?

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
Donated approximately 7 million dollars to Melbourne Footy Club over 16 years.

Dees out of the woods financially and with equalization, it's fair that sharing the gate is re-instated.

However i would still like it to remain a Demons home game while Neale Daniher is alive and i hope he has a lot more time left.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Big days should be reserved for big matches. True derbies or grand final rematches.

So called big clubs unfortunately dont seem to play big footy

There should be no such thing as big days. The draw should be an actual draw. Not the farce that it is - where the AFL designs it to maximise revenues.

If you want a Big Freeze game then assign it to when the random draw pits Collingwood and Melbourne (or Melbourne and whoever - if Collingwood arent interested).

It is ridiculous how easily the AFL has convinced us that their manufactured home and away season has any merit at all.

If the Maddie Riewoldt event was between St Kilda vs Melbourne, would you at least be a little perplexed?
Not really? If N Riewoldt was choosing to play it against us I think the club would get right behind it

Is a good thing Collingwood have done in allowing us this money spinner for as long as they have but now that we're through those low days, I think it's completely fair to alternate the home game each year.
The Freeze MND thing would not suffer based on who's home game it was and Pies have arguably supported and generated as much (if not more) public interest in the cause as Melb have.

Some Melbourne supporters clearly need their safe space. Can't dare say anything about them or their club or they'll melt.
Taking the piss surely.
Pretty much every Melb poster in this thread agrees that this would be more than fair and very much appreciates Collingwoods assistance.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I have no issue with sharing the profits of the Queen B'day game, of course the 2nd game between the two clubs would also have to be shared.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Actually I have a different solution.

Replace Collingwood with Richmond for the Queens B'day game, Richmond keeps the ANZAC eve game as their home ground and Melbourne keeps this one.

Everyone is happy

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
To be honest the idea of a Club having two prime time matches is pretty insane but I also think the MND game would be way smarter as a Friday or Saturday night game Dees v Bombers

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Every Victorian club except St kilda have one now.
Since most of the MND stuff is pre game, there isn't enough time before the Friday night match and on a Saturday it would be buried by the other football matches around the country. Plus if it was at night you wouldn't be able to see anything.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
No melts here mate. I just enjoy being a smart arse

In all seriousness, I want Pies v Dees on Queens B'day. Rotate the gate. I am happy the Pies gave Melbourne a good leg up over the years. Just sick of hearing about it from Eddie.
Why are Melbourne supporters the biggest smart arses here? I always seem to see Melbourne fans baiting and trolling others over semantics. You all seem so hostile. I would have thought Collingwood fans would be the worst but they all seem to be mostly respectful and rational.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Why are Melbourne supporters the biggest smart arses here? I always seem to see Melbourne fans baiting and trolling others over semantics. You all seem so hostile. I would have thought Collingwood fans would be the worst but they all seem to be mostly respectful and rational.

A bit rich coming from a Blues supporter

Back