Scandal Collingwood star Jordan De Goey charged with indecent assault - NO sexual jokes or inappropriate comments.

NOTE: No jokes about sexual assault or the alleged victim. Keep it clean, civil and remember Jordan De Goey has only been charged at this stage and NOT found guilty of anything.

Last edited:

JP2

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2003
Prague
AFL Club
Melbourne
Looking forward to the footy media once more framing a player being mildly inconvenienced by acting like a dickhead and then being allowed to play on without any further sanctions as some kind of 'redemption arc'. The festival of sycophancy in the week after he kicks his first big bag of goals is going to be ******* insufferable.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Looking forward to the footy media once more framing a player being mildly inconvenienced by acting like a dickhead and then being allowed to play on without any further sanctions as some kind of 'redemption arc'. The festival of sycophancy in the week after he kicks his first big bag of goals is going to be ******* insufferable.
Nothing is more certain. Will be vomit worthy .

daicosdemis

All Australian
Jul 5, 2011
Ascot Vale
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
AEK,Chelsea fc
If the guy who got hit and kicked refused to testify, yes.

Its very rare for a successful prosecution when the victim refuses to assist the police and prosecutor.
Only if police and prosecutor are dependent on the victims evidence.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Appears Collingwood have simply replaced one liniment sniffing President with another.
If nothing changes .. nothing changes
So much for the new coach.
What would you folk have preferred to have happened? Drawn and quartered when the incident first became public?

Innocent until proven guilty... there is something in that.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
If the guy who got hit and kicked refused to testify, yes.

Its very rare for a successful prosecution when the victim refuses to assist the police and prosecutor.
If the video evidence is very clear that he did what he was accused of doing, I'm not so sure the case would hinge on the testimony.
If it was unclear, sure it would.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Countdown to JDG's next assault? I think he'll make it through until the Pies can't make the finals at least.

Most likely it'll be next post-season.

I notice Collingwood's statement didn't mention anything about laying off the grog or anything.

Just "working with health professionals". He'll probably follow 80% of his nutritionists guidelines and hit the pub even harder at the end of this season after signing another huge contract.

He'll have learnt very little from this episode.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Countdown to JDG's next assault? I think he'll make it through until the Pies can't make the finals at least.

Most likely it'll be next post-season.

I notice Collingwood's statement didn't mention anything about laying off the grog or anything.

Just "working with health professionals". He'll probably follow 80% of his nutritionists guidelines and hit the pub even harder at the end of this season after signing another huge contract.

He'll have learnt very little from this episode.
I doubt his new contract will be huge. Obviously he doesn't have a great track record off-field. Unless he has an unbelievable season or another club desperately needs a player like him, I can't see him being flush with big $$ offers.

No doubt it was important for Collingwood to see JDG get off and return to the club. He is a FA end of season. IF he is offered good $$ elsewhere, we may get 1st round compo which is likely to be another top 5 pick.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
I doubt his new contract will be huge. Obviously he doesn't have a great track record off-field. Unless he has an unbelievable season or another club desperately needs a player like him, I can't see him being flush with big $$ offers.

No doubt it was important for Collingwood to see JDG get off and return to the club. He is a FA end of season. IF he is offered good $$ elsewhere, we may get 1st round compo which is likely to be another top 5 pick.

No club will out-bid Collingwood. Have you ever seen Collingwood allow themselves to be outbid for their own top-rated players? They pay overs every single time for their top-line players. Have a look at Grundy's contract.

There's no way, assuming Collingwood miss finals, that they let a top-5 player go. Pendles and Sidebottom are cooked, no way JDG isn't offered huge $$, unless he plays up before the contract is signed.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
It's almost like Eddie is still running the club

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Liniment sniffers united …
B7F43877-F799-4B62-BFD5-F05962D7DEF7.jpeg

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
No club will out-bid Collingwood. Have you ever seen Collingwood allow themselves to be outbid for their own top-rated players? They pay overs every single time for their top-line players. Have a look at Grundy's contract.

There's no way, assuming Collingwood miss finals, that they let a top-5 player go. Pendles and Sidebottom are cooked, no way JDG isn't offered huge $$, unless he plays up before the contract is signed.
Sidebottom stayed at Collingwood for for less than what Essendon offered him a few years ago....

Not sure with G Wright running the show we will be paying overs. I wouldn't be surprised if JDG was offered good $ by another club the Pies let him go for a top 5 pick. We are re-building. If there's a top key forward and midfielder around, or being able to package this pick and another for a young star at another club, they would do it. I think the club has had it with JDG.

Profop

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Sidebottom stayed at Collingwood for for less than what Essendon offered him a few years ago....

Not sure with G Wright running the show we will be paying overs. I wouldn't be surprised if JDG was offered good $ by another club the Pies let him go for a top 5 pick. We are re-building. If there's a top key forward and midfielder around, or being able to package this pick and another for a young star at another club, they would do it. I think the club has had it with JDG.
I agree. Any club in Collingwoods' position would be mad to keep him if they can clear some cash and get an early pick in the one go. Would be different if they were regularly in prelims and challenging (it shouldn't be different but that's the world we live in) but at the start of a list refresh a guy like DeGoey is just a cancer. If the penny was ever going to drop it certainly would have done it by now

Jun 26, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I love the drama as much as anyone, but it sounds like the judge did his judgey thing and this is the outcome. Not great that DeGoey keeps getting himself into bad situations, but earlier reports of him being an alcoholic violent sex freak appear to be exaggerated (this time)

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think Collingwood missed a trick to suspend him for a month of footy. I understand the charges were downgraded. But this isn’t his first rodeo. He didn’t need discretion. I thought it was a good chance for Browne and MaCrae etc to make a statement to the paying group.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
I think Collingwood missed a trick to suspend him for a month of footy. I understand the charges were downgraded. But this isn’t his first rodeo. He didn’t need discretion. I thought it was a good chance for Browne and MaCrae etc to make a statement to the paying group.

They did make a statement to the playing group.

If you can play … it’s OK …

AC874F09-4BD4-4948-94E0-B640B7A6ED7D.jpeg

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
I love the drama as much as anyone, but it sounds like the judge did his judgey thing and this is the outcome. Not great that DeGoey keeps getting himself into bad situations, but earlier reports of him being an alcoholic violent sex freak appear to be exaggerated (this time)
I like a drink and I like sex (maybe known to participate to some freaky stuff even). But not violent. JDG and I are probably similar is a lot of aspects.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
He has been suspended from the club since charges were first laid. Sure, didn’t include games, but nevertheless, not being able to be part of the club for almost 2 months during pre-season, particularly with new coaching staff is punishment.
To be honest, with some people it just doesn’t matter whether u miss games or not. Doesn’t change the behaviour. Just got to hope he begins to show more maturity at some stage. Preferably sooner than later.

TheEnsign

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
To those who have played quite a bit of footy; to what extent could his having to train parallel to the main group / not get a proper pre-season done affect his performance this year? It's like what his 7th pre-season or something so I assume less importance than if he was a few years younger.

Top 5 pick for massively damaged goods? Nah hard pass.

TheEnsign

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Top 5 pick for massively damaged goods? Nah hard pass.

He's a restricted free agent at the end of this year, I think what OP was saying is that if the offer was big enough (i.e. to trigger top of Band 1 compo) then Pies wouldn't match.

Can't imagine another club is going to offer such a deal though unless he has an AA year with no blemishes off the field; even then they'd be taking a big punt. GC would be perfect of course...

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
He has been suspended from the club since charges were first laid. Sure, didn’t include games, but nevertheless, not being able to be part of the club for almost 2 months during pre-season, particularly with new coaching staff is punishment.
To be honest, with some people it just doesn’t matter whether u miss games or not. Doesn’t change the behaviour. Just got to hope he begins to show more maturity at some stage. Preferably sooner than later.
I think the suspension whilst it may impact him it needed to be come back to the club now but you miss the first 4 games or something. It’s not his first indiscretion.

Back