Toast Collingwood - the fastest rebuild ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Um I wasn't saying we would make it rather love to see it happen, the melts on here alone would be epic.
lol but why would you want to see it happen? Aren't you embarrassed by it? When Pickett does it I cringe every time and he doesn't even do it to the same degree as ginnivan. It's nothing to be proud of.

lol but why would you want to see it happen? Aren't you embarrassed by it? When Pickett does it I cringe every time and he doesn't even do it to the same degree as ginnivan. It's nothing to be proud of.

No why would I be embarrassed, he is a small forward who's job is to create goal opportunities. That is just one way he can do it.

I think what is being lost in this discussion with players who do this is the tacklers intent.
Atm most tacklers on Ginnivan and lesser degree pickett aren't going low or trying to even go low on them. This is why it should be High contact free, there is no intention of getting them low to begin with.
When they do the Selwood trick of making a low contact tackle slip high (which is not how Ginni does it typically) then I agree they should be called play on or HTB.

So seriously, looking at the list and having one first-round pick plus three 3rd round picks this year, where does people see Collingwood's rebuild going?

I'm interested to hear from some pies fans:

What is the outlook for the 13 players 28+

What about the 26 players with less than 50 games?

Do you think Collingwood keeps hitting the draft for a few years or roll the dice now with the mature players you have?

Your young players look pretty small there. Will Collingwood hit the draft for KPPs or hope to trade for them?

PlayerAgeHeightWeightGames
Scott Pendlebury34yr191cm91kg
350​
Jeremy Howe31yr190cm86kg
211​
Jordan Roughead31yr200cm100kg
201​
Steele Sidebottom31yr180cm85kg
281​
Mason Cox31yr211cm110kg
86​
Jamie Elliott29yr175cm79kg
147​
Brody Mihocek29yr192cm97kg
95​
Jack Madgen28yr196cm95kg
49​
Will Hoskin-Elliott28yr186cm76kg
173​
Taylor Adams28yr179cm84kg
180​
Jack Crisp28yr190cm89kg
192​
Brodie Grundy28yr202cm101kg
177​
Darcy Cameron26yr204cm101kg
45​
Darcy Moore26yr199cm93kg
118​
Jordan De Goey26yr187cm82kg
131​
Brayden Maynard25yr186cm88kg
153​
John Noble25yr180cm72kg
61​
Tom Wilson24yr194cm77kg
7​
Ashley Johnson24yr193cm85kg
0​
Callum Brown23yr178cm73kg
69​
Patrick Lipinski23yr188cm79kg
73​
Josh Daicos23yr178cm69kg
69​
Nathan Kreuger22yr196cm86kg
5​
Tyler Brown22yr187cm71kg
27​
Nathan Murphy22yr188cm80kg
25​
Isaac Quaynor22yr180cm83kg
51​
Mark Keane22yr194cm96kg
5​
Will Kelly21yr196cm87kg
3​
Trent Bianco21yr178cm70kg
16​
Beau McCreery21yr186cm60kg
27​
Charlie Dean20yr195cm86kg
0​
Trey Ruscoe20yr190cm90kg
17​
Isaac Chugg20yr180cm81kg
0​
Liam McMahon19yr194cm80kg
0​
Oliver Henry19yr186cm72kg
24​
Aiden Begg19yr197cm87kg
0​
Caleb Poulter19yr192cm79kg
12​
Finlay Macrae19yr193cm86kg
10​
Reef McInnes19yr193cm86kg
0​
Jack Ginnivan19yr183cm77kg
20​
Nick Daicos19yr183cm73kg
17​
Arlo Draper19yr186cm75kg
0​
Cooper Murley18yr178cm67kg
0​
Harvey Harrison18yr182cm76kg
0​
We have a few areas of need PLUS upcoming retirements. I would be trying to package our three third rounders to get a pick around 21/22. Maybe even lift our first rounder up - I concede that every team is aiming to do this.

I don’t see us top four next couple of years. We do have plenty of kids that I would like to see get game time next year, if they command a spot during pre-season or if VFL form warrants it.

We are 4th at present because there are some damn average sides running around. We are a developing team that will need to draft quality and recruit free agents. Natural improvement in the kids will replace the Will Hoskin Elliots, it’s the quality of footballer like the Jeremy Howes and Jamie Elliotts that we need to be focusing on.

Last edited:
So seriously, looking at the list and having one first-round pick plus three 3rd round picks this year, where does people see Collingwood's rebuild going?

I'm interested to hear from some pies fans:

What is the outlook for the 13 players 28+

What about the 26 players with less than 50 games?

Do you think Collingwood keeps hitting the draft for a few years or roll the dice now with the mature players you have?

Your young players look pretty small there. Will Collingwood hit the draft for KPPs or hope to trade for them?

PlayerAgeHeightWeightGames
Scott Pendlebury34yr191cm91kg
350​
Jeremy Howe31yr190cm86kg
211​
Jordan Roughead31yr200cm100kg
201​
Steele Sidebottom31yr180cm85kg
281​
Mason Cox31yr211cm110kg
86​
Jamie Elliott29yr175cm79kg
147​
Brody Mihocek29yr192cm97kg
95​
Jack Madgen28yr196cm95kg
49​
Will Hoskin-Elliott28yr186cm76kg
173​
Taylor Adams28yr179cm84kg
180​
Jack Crisp28yr190cm89kg
192​
Brodie Grundy28yr202cm101kg
177​
Darcy Cameron26yr204cm101kg
45​
Darcy Moore26yr199cm93kg
118​
Jordan De Goey26yr187cm82kg
131​
Brayden Maynard25yr186cm88kg
153​
John Noble25yr180cm72kg
61​
Tom Wilson24yr194cm77kg
7​
Ashley Johnson24yr193cm85kg
0​
Callum Brown23yr178cm73kg
69​
Patrick Lipinski23yr188cm79kg
73​
Josh Daicos23yr178cm69kg
69​
Nathan Kreuger22yr196cm86kg
5​
Tyler Brown22yr187cm71kg
27​
Nathan Murphy22yr188cm80kg
25​
Isaac Quaynor22yr180cm83kg
51​
Mark Keane22yr194cm96kg
5​
Will Kelly21yr196cm87kg
3​
Trent Bianco21yr178cm70kg
16​
Beau McCreery21yr186cm60kg
27​
Charlie Dean20yr195cm86kg
0​
Trey Ruscoe20yr190cm90kg
17​
Isaac Chugg20yr180cm81kg
0​
Liam McMahon19yr194cm80kg
0​
Oliver Henry19yr186cm72kg
24​
Aiden Begg19yr197cm87kg
0​
Caleb Poulter19yr192cm79kg
12​
Finlay Macrae19yr193cm86kg
10​
Reef McInnes19yr193cm86kg
0​
Jack Ginnivan19yr183cm77kg
20​
Nick Daicos19yr183cm73kg
17​
Arlo Draper19yr186cm75kg
0​
Cooper Murley18yr178cm67kg
0​
Harvey Harrison18yr182cm76kg
0​

Refer to my earlier response:

Collingwood doesn’t do rebuilds. In their 120+ year history, outside a poor spell in the late ‘90s, the longest they’ve gone without making finals is 4 years.

We’re always up and about contending for premierships - evident with the Grand Final average every 4 years or so. This current make up is no different.

Hearing a lot of fluff about the Pies being lucky where they are on the ladder with the run of close wins. Coulda, shoulda woulda etc. same argument, if Moore, Dunn, Langdon, Scharenberg, Wells and Elliott weren’t injured and played in the 2018 GF, Pies ‘woulda’ got up. How does that argument go down with those same people pulling out the luck card to describe Collingwood’s current form?

In regards to the younger talent. Pies aren’t tracking too badly, and like their current form, people underestimating the younger talent.

From an exposed form perspective, Nick Daicos has already been mentioned, Pat Lipinski has been a great addition, Josh Daicos is a fine winger, John Noble and Isaac Quaynor are integral cogs to our game style and rebound/attack, Nathan Murphy has been the most improved player at the Pies, Josh Carmichael has come in and show great grunt/clutch at the highest level, Nathan Kruger kicked 4 goals from his 3 games before injury with Beau McCreery, Jack Ginnivan, Ollie Henry and Ash Johnson having transformed our forward line - which was deemed a weakness in previous years. That’s 12 players who’ve proven themselves thus far and are/would be current best 22 players for the Pies. More than half the team there, with the oldest being 25.

Without mentioning the youngsters who’ve shown little at VFL level or haven’t made their debuts there’s excitement from Collingwood fans for Reef McInnes, who plenty rate as one of our most exciting, a tough yet skilful midfielder, Caleb Poulter showed plenty on the wing last year (had 15 or more disposals in 8 of 11 games in his debut season), Aiden Begg is a 19 year old ruckman on the list who got 3 games early on in Grundy’s absence but edged out by the more experienced duo of Cameron/Cox, Fin Macrae has a lot of similarities to his brother at the Doggies, Trey Ruscoe has shown he’s very capable at senior level, but is being kept out by experience, Charlie Dean is the heir apparent to Roughead at FB and Trent Bianco has plenty of quality attributes. That’s another 7 who’ve shown plenty for Collingwood supporters to believe they have plenty of upside.

Obviously not all of these guys will make it, but that’s 19 players - it ain’t a bad batch of players for the club to work with and develop. Also makes it easier for them to succeed when they’ve got players like Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom, Jeremy Howe and Jamie Elliott around the club to learn from, and compete with for positions in the best 22. Much better than being gifted games because we’ve sacked anyone over 25.

Some youngsters being written off by opposition fans because they aren’t Nick Daicos level. Very few come into the system and have the immediate impact of a Sam Walsh/Matt Rowell/Nick Daicos. I remember Dane Swan, 3 seasons in, being on the scrap heap and close to being delisted. Had shown very little, and was a late draft pick. That turned out fine for the Pies, and there’s plenty of examples across the competition of players who show some glimpses but don’t have that breakout until their 4th-5th year in the system (22-23 years of age).

Pies will be alright. Might burn a few people to believe that, but it’s the truth.

No why would I be embarrassed, he is a small forward who's job is to create goal opportunities. That is just one way he can do it.

I think what is being lost in this discussion with players who do this is the tacklers intent.
Atm most tacklers on Ginnivan and lesser degree pickett aren't going low or trying to even go low on them. This is why it should be High contact free, there is no intention of getting them low to begin with.
When they do the Selwood trick of making a low contact tackle slip high (which is not how Ginni does it typically) then I agree they should be called play on or HTB.
I think it's embarrassing because he goes to ground at almost every single contest. He has no other tricks to his bag. It's his 1 wood and he has no other clubs in his bag. So I don't think he has any other ways like you say. Sure, he can get on the end of a few marks inside 50m and he is a straight kick for goal but he is simply dangerous because he is flopping at an all time high during a time that umpiring standard is at an all time low. But his actual footballing abilities are fairly low. I think he's more of a good vfl player. He doesn't chase or tackle or do anything defensive.

Yes, I agree that tacklers don't aim to go as low as they should but when a player is crumbling at the knees and leaning in at almost every contest then there is no need to even look to tackle low because the umpire will see Ginnivan raise his arm, lean in and crumble and decide not to pay high. The Redman one was a good example. if he had've actually tried to stand up in the tackle or play football and not for the whistle then he would've got the free. The problem is, he never does.

The moment ginnivan tries to play football and not focus 100% of his energy on the whistle then he will start to get looked after by the umpires and will start to get a bit of respect from the wider football community. But I don't think too many neutrals think he is that good at footy.

I think it's embarrassing because he goes to ground at almost every single contest. He has no other tricks to his bag. It's his 1 wood and he has no other clubs in his bag. So I don't think he has any other ways like you say. Sure, he can get on the end of a few marks inside 50m and he is a straight kick for goal but he is simply dangerous because he is flopping at an all time high during a time that umpiring standard is at an all time low. But his actual footballing abilities are fairly low. I think he's more of a good vfl player. He doesn't chase or tackle or do anything defensive.

Yes, I agree that tacklers don't aim to go as low as they should but when a player is crumbling at the knees and leaning in at almost every contest then there is no need to even look to tackle low because the umpire will see Ginnivan raise his arm, lean in and crumble and decide not to pay high. The Redman one was a good example. if he had've actually tried to stand up in the tackle or play football and not for the whistle then he would've got the free. The problem is, he never does.

The moment ginnivan tries to play football and not focus 100% of his energy on the whistle then he will start to get looked after by the umpires and will start to get a bit of respect from the wider football community. But I don't think too many neutrals think he is that good at footy.
Yeah i saw nothing to worry about with the Redman incident. Play on.

We have a few areas of need PLUS upcoming retirements. I would be trying to package our three third rounders to get a pick around 21/22. Maybe even lift our first rounder up - I concede that every team is aiming to do this.

I don’t see us top four next couple of years. We do have plenty of kids that I would like to see get game time next year, if they command a spot during pre-season or if VFL form warrants it.

We are 4th at present because there are some damn average sides running around. We are a developing team that will need to draft quality and recruit free agents.

There is always the debate about bottoming out vs developing in a good team. It will be interesting to see how the team develops.

I know it is Sam McClure, but, he was talking about trading out Grundy and De Goey. Would you keep them roll the dice over the next couple of years, or would you trade them out?

Grundy and DeGoey could net you 4 picks in the top 25, and at least 1 in the top 10. If you nail those it could give you the impetus to go again before Adams, Crisp and Moore are over the hill.

The thing that stands out for me is the lack of quality talls. The problem with drafting talls is that it is normally a long process before they're up to AFL standard.

Re, results this year. I don't think a flag is likely, but anything is possible in a year like this. The teams I expected to go well this year Melb, Dogs and Bris, have all been disappointing. Geelong are up there now, but I think they're still very gettable. This is exactly the sort of year where a team like doggies 2017, Hawthorn 2008, Adelaide 97-98, or Essendon 1993 can pop up surprisingly.

If that happened, I don't know if you could trade out players.

Yeah i saw nothing to worry about with the Redman incident. Play on.
Yeah it was a free kick, but cause he's a marked man if he swings his arm like Selwood or Shuey trying to make the opponent's arm go high the umps will let it go in the split decision. They don't have the benefit of the replay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it was a free kick, but cause he's a marked man if he swings his arm like Selwood or Shuey trying to make the opponent's arm go high the umps will let it go in the split decision. They don't have the benefit of the replay.
Ha. They have the benefit of sight and him being in a headlock for 2 seconds afterwards. I hate everything about dropping the knees and raising the arm to draw frees but the same s**t is getting paid to other players now and hes getting targeted aggressively by players knowing you can assault him and its play on.

There is always the debate about bottoming out vs developing in a good team. It will be interesting to see how the team develops.

I know it is Sam McClure, but, he was talking about trading out Grundy and De Goey. Would you keep them roll the dice over the next couple of years, or would you trade them out?

Grundy and DeGoey could net you 4 picks in the top 25, and at least 1 in the top 10. If you nail those it could give you the impetus to go again before Adams, Crisp and Moore are over the hill.

The thing that stands out for me is the lack of quality talls. The problem with drafting talls is that it is normally a long process before they're up to AFL standard.

Re, results this year. I don't think a flag is likely, but anything is possible in a year like this. The teams I expected to go well this year Melb, Dogs and Bris, have all been disappointing. Geelong are up there now, but I think they're still very gettable. This is exactly the sort of year where a team like doggies 2017, Hawthorn 2008, Adelaide 97-98, or Essendon 1993 can pop up surprisingly.

If that happened, I don't know if you could trade out players.
We need to draft, recruit and develop 9 top twelve players over the next three years. I wouldn’t be clearing any 26/28 year old, top 12 types - realistically who else in the competition is going to pay Grundy $950k?

The key position draftees will take several years, but we aren’t top four anytime soon. Whilst they are getting ready we will know who has or hasn’t come on - we will know the spots that we have to recruit to fill. No need to blaze away at the moment. Other clubs want a bargain - ‘well not on my watch’.

This year draft a KPF and inside mid. Next year a KPD and best available. Trust Graeme Wright selecting the best free agent going.

We need to keep our salary under control, otherwise we will be f***** when our young blokes become guns, take us into contention and warrant more $$$. We shouldn’t be in the business of developing players to win premierships for other clubs.

Last edited:

Mate that is a shocking take on Ginnivan lol not even close to the mark.

You realise he doesn't go to ground until after he is taken high first? Same with his arm lift it comes after he is taken high initially in the tackle.

He also has kicked many non free kick goals, like vs port. Has many ways to get it and goal when it's his focus. Very smart footballer, needs to work on strength and power to help his speed but he's 19...

I do agree that he needs to recover faster when it doesn't go his way and keep in the game. Atm he tends to sit and look at the ump while play goes on around him, instead of playing to the whistle.

Redman tackle was the worse non call I've seen. And you gotta be kidding re him going to ground and looking for a free there lol.

Refer to my earlier response:

Collingwood had 2 rung teams in the 70s, which is why they lost so many GFs. Same in the 80s. 1990, Essendon was the better side for most of the year, then they really fell away after that. Collingwood had a mediocre rise again late in the 90s and fell away again. Malthouse came along and got a mediocre side to the GF when Brisbane was a juggernaut. Then Collingwood tanked for a year and Malthouse built the only powerhouse Collingwood side I have seen in my life.

I'm nearly 50 and I've seen Hawthorn build 2 great sides, the 80s and 2012-2016. I've seen Carlton build 2 great sides, the late 80s, and mid-90s (there was a bit of overlap in them). I've seen Essendon build two great sides, the mid-80s, and late-90s. West Coast has two sides as well. I've seen Brisbane, Geelong, and Richmond build dynasties as well.

In all that time I've seen Collingwood as a "team to fear" for 1.5 seasons. So if not rebuilding and having mediocre to strong teams is what you want, then good luck.

However, I disagree with you. Collingwood "rebuilt" in 2006. When Buckley came on board they rebuilt. These didn't take a long time because there was enough quality on the list with Buckley in the first one of those and Pendlebury/Sidebottom in the other one. That was how a rebuild would g for Essendon back when we had Madden/Watson/Daniher at the club or Hird, Fletcher, Lloyd etc.

Looking at Collingwood's list now, the only real quality is Pendlebury and Daicos. Daicos is way too young to carry a side for now and Pendlebury will be gone soon. If Collingwood doesn't look to rebuild the list, the sort of arrogance you displayed with "Collingwood" doesn't rebuild will end up the same way the arrogance of Carlton and Essendon from 20 years ago ended up.

Collingwood had 2 rung teams in the 70s, which is why they lost so many GFs. Same in the 80s. 1990, Essendon was the better side for most of the year, then they really fell away after that. Collingwood had a mediocre rise again late in the 90s and fell away again. Malthouse came along and got a mediocre side to the GF when Brisbane was a juggernaut. Then Collingwood tanked for a year and Malthouse built the only powerhouse Collingwood side I have seen in my life.

I'm nearly 50 and I've seen Hawthorn build 2 great sides, the 80s and 2012-2016. I've seen Carlton build 2 great sides, the late 80s, and mid-90s (there was a bit of overlap in them). I've seen Essendon build two great sides, the mid-80s, and late-90s. West Coast has two sides as well. I've seen Brisbane, Geelong, and Richmond build dynasties as well.

In all that time I've seen Collingwood as a "team to fear" for 1.5 seasons. So if not rebuilding and having mediocre to strong teams is what you want, then good luck.

However, I disagree with you. Collingwood "rebuilt" in 2006. When Buckley came on board they rebuilt. These didn't take a long time because there was enough quality on the list with Buckley in the first one of those and Pendlebury/Sidebottom in the other one. That was how a rebuild would g for Essendon back when we had Madden/Watson/Daniher at the club or Hird, Fletcher, Lloyd etc.

Looking at Collingwood's list now, the only real quality is Pendlebury and Daicos. Daicos is way too young to carry a side for now and Pendlebury will be gone soon. If Collingwood doesn't look to rebuild the list, the sort of arrogance you displayed with "Collingwood" doesn't rebuild will end up the same way the arrogance of Carlton and Essendon from 20 years ago ended up.
I agree. Roughead gone, Pendlebury and Sidebottom on last legs.

Once you turn 29 you can go down hill very quickly. Not everyone is a Fletcher or Harvey. Take Elliott, Howe and Mihocek out of that team, as well, it looks very ordinary.

It would be very foolish to try to top it up for one last try ‘for Pendles’. We aren’t two players short of a GF. We are 8 short, soon to be 12.

Mate that is a shocking take on Ginnivan lol not even close to the mark.

You realise he doesn't go to ground until after he is taken high first? Same with his arm lift it comes after he is taken high initially in the tackle.

He also has kicked many non free kick goals, like vs port. Has many ways to get it and goal when it's his focus. Very smart footballer, needs to work on strength and power to help his speed but he's 19...

I do agree that he needs to recover faster when it doesn't go his way and keep in the game. Atm he tends to sit and look at the ump while play goes on around him, instead of playing to the whistle.

Redman tackle was the worse non call I've seen. And you gotta be kidding re him going to ground and looking for a free there lol.
Photo_2022-07-31_05-04-37_PM.png
The Redman one was high but because Ginnivan is so programmed at drawing free kicks he raises his arm unnaturally. the umpires sees this and understandably doesn't pay it. Ginnivan also could've been stronger and actually try and break the tackle but he crumbles like a deck of cards. Also when he got pulled backwards he was still appealing for a free. This is why he's not getting this free. Because its the boy who cried wolf. He's always seeking frees, even when he deserves one which is probably 1 in every 8-9 flops. He is so hard to watch. Embarassing
20220731_170210.jpg

View attachment 1461719
The Redman one was high but because Ginnivan is so programmed at drawing free kicks he raises his arm unnaturally. the umpires sees this and understandably doesn't pay it. Ginnivan also could've been stronger and actually try and break the tackle but he crumbles like a deck of cards. Also when he got pulled backwards he was still appealing for a free. This is why he's not getting this free. Because its the boy who cried wolf. He's always seeking frees, even when he deserves one which is probably 1 in every 8-9 flops. He is so hard to watch. Embarassing
View attachment 1461721
Thats the most piss weak reason ive heard. Tackles around the neck are fine now for him due to the "Boy who cried wolf" rule

View attachment 1461719
View attachment 1461721

He deserves a free nearly every one he was paid this year and they miss about 2 or 3 a game too. Very rarely is he not actually taken high initially.
Typically they paid him the free in the first half and then donuts after that.

Now it's just donuts.

It does not matter what he does after being collected high it is a free kick, the falling down and arm raise is not causing the high contact it's just accentuating it.

Umps need to officiate the rules not their dislike of a player.

He deserves a free nearly every one he was paid this year and they miss about 2 or 3 a game too. Very rarely is not actually taken high initially.

Now it's just donuts.

It does not matter what he does after being collected high it is a free kick the falling down and arm raise is not causing the high contact it's just accentuating it.

Exactly. Each decision needs to be paid on its merits. Not on who the player is and his free kick history. I guess Leigh Matthews, Ross Lyon etc know nothing if were believing the dribble above

I agree. Roughead gone, Pendlebury and Sidebottom on last legs.

Once you turn 29 you can go down hill very quickly. Not everyone is a Fletcher or Harvey. Take Elliott, Howe and Mihocek out of that team, as well, it looks very ordinary.

It would be very foolish to try to top it up for one last try ‘for Pendles’. We aren’t two players short of a GF. We are 8 short, soon to be 12.

Yeah I am also concerned this is a "dead cat bounce" season.

Think in 2 more years we are going to be in for some pain unless Poulter, Reef, Macrae, McMahon and Henry come on better then expected.

He deserves a free nearly every one he was paid this year and they miss about 2 or 3 a game too. Very rarely is he not actually taken high initially.

Now it's just donuts.

It does not matter what he does after being collected high it is a free kick, the falling down and arm raise is not causing the high contact it's just accentuating it.

ok, so why does Ginnivan get taken high about 10,000 times more often than any other player? Coincidence? Clearly he is creating it. I mean there's literally vision of him at training showing his team-mate how he creates the high contact. Can you explain this vision? You'd be the only man in Australia that doesn't think that Ginnivan stages. like, wth?

ok, so why does Ginnivan get taken high about 10,000 times more often than any other player? Coincidence? Clearly he is creating it. I mean there's literally vision of him at training showing his team-mate how he creates the high contact. Can you explain this vision? You'd be the only man in Australia that doesn't think that Ginnivan stages. like, wth?
You'd be the only bloke in Australia who thinks hes the only one that has done it. No goals from frees yesterday, maybe hes changing his style. Theres vision of him at training beacuase the ambulance chasing media have stalked him for 2 months. What are your thoughts on Selwood drawing the same frees for 15 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back