News Collingwood to wear white jumper in home games against Carlton

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
So, pretty big news for us on Eddie’s breakfast show this morning. Said next year, he is going to commission a white jumper with home sponsors to wear in home games against Carlton. “I don’t want Carlton wearing anything other than the navy blue jumper against us, so we’ll wear the white jumper with black shorts”

I mean, its a step in the right direction in that he admitted there is a clash. But surely Collingwood need to be in white shorts too, as much as we do all want to see the white jumper with black shorts. Particularly with the black sidepanels, it will still be fairly clashy I’d think. Though it will be better than whats currently on offer.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
So, pretty big news for us on Eddie’s breakfast show this morning. Said next year, he is going to commission a white jumper with home sponsors to wear in home games against Carlton. “I don’t want Carlton wearing anything other than the navy blue jumper against us, so we’ll wear the white jumper with black shorts”

I mean, its a step in the right direction in that he admitted there is a clash. But surely Collingwood need to be in white shorts too, as much as we do all want to see the white jumper with black shorts. Particularly with the black sidepanels, it will still be fairly clashy I’d think. Though it will be better than whats currently on offer.
He'll get the white jumper but I doubt the black shorts. But that is a massive step in the right direction. Ed being on-side makes a helluva difference to the cause :)

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels

While some will view it as a step in the right direction, I see it as standing still.

Need to have a consistent rule that applies to all teams and games. Not a rule that is applied here and there depending on who it is. Haphazard rules like that prevent this taken seriously.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
While some will view it as a step in the right direction, I see it as standing still.

Need to have a consistent rule that applies to all teams and games. Not a rule that is applied here and there depending on who it is. Haphazard rules like that prevent this taken seriously.
This fits the rules though. Home team gets the jumper they want and the away team wears something that contrasts. But I see where you're coming from - ideally Eddie would be pushing for Carlton to have and wear a decent clash top. However if he wants Carlton to get their home jumper at the expense of his own club's home jumper, well then this fits the clash rules.

Wait and see what happens on the shorts though.

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
This fits the rules though. Home team gets the jumper they want and the away team wears something that contrasts. But I see where you're coming from - ideally Eddie would be pushing for Carlton to have and wear a decent clash top. However if he wants Carlton to get their home jumper at the expense of his own club's home jumper, well then this fits the clash rules.

Wait and see what happens on the shorts though.
It does for this game, but what about against another team where Carlton needs to change their jumper? Eddie can't excuse them for that game.

Needs to be a firm and consistent rule, then we can go about making exceptions for this fixture.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

Wow, huge news.
Has he only just realised this game creates a clash? Why now?

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
It does for this game, but what about against another team where Carlton needs to change their jumper? Eddie can't excuse them for that game.

Needs to be a firm and consistent rule, then we can go about making exceptions for this fixture.
Eddie doesn't care so much about them wearing clash against other teams - he just wants the game that Collingwood plays against their biggest rival to look good.

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
He'll get the white jumper but I doubt the black shorts. But that is a massive step in the right direction. Ed being on-side makes a helluva difference to the cause :)
Hopefully with the Pies in a white jumper, the AFL step in and tell them to wear white shorts like they do Geelong.

The club don't get to choose which shorts they wear.

If I was a Pies supporter, I'd happily accept Pies in white shorts both home and away v Carlton.

MagpieBat

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Ruby
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL, #TeamBatman

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...8/news-story/63299546b75d423f506e06fd85a441db

EDDIE VOWS TO SOLVE JUMPER CLASH

By Sam Landsberger
COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire has vowed to commission a special new Magpies jumper to reduce the uniform clash against Carlton next season.

The match at the MCG on Sunday drew criticism from viewers with the dark colours compounded by Collingwood wearing black shorts and Carlton wearing white shorts.

“I’ll give you a little exclusive though,” McGuire said on his Triple M breakfast radio show.

“It’s a minor one. I’m going to have a new jumper for next year for Collingwood-Carlton games to avoid the clash.

“I don’t want Carlton wearing anything other than navy blue against Collingwood.

“I want the navy blues against the black-and-white stripes, so we’ll wear our black shorts but I’m going to commission a white jumper with the livery for a home game on it.

“So we’ll have three jumpers if you like next year – black and white (home), white and black (clash) and white and black with the Emirates on the front.”

lishhh
277679.jpg

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
It's about the smartest thing that man has ever done. If he did it against all "major rivals" - Essendon, Richmond, Melbourne - that would be even better.
Don't praise him for solving a problem of his own making.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Wow. Big step.

Maybe it's testing the waters to a more permanent change.

But hopefully the AFL applies the same rule to Collingwood that they apply to Geelong and North - Collingwood need to be in white shorts. I have a feeling they won't be, but we'll see.

Timewaster

Club Legend
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Eddie's proposal suits the clash rule perfectly. Home team is happy, away team wears a non-clashing jumper. There's no reason to add cast-iron rules for a problem that will no longer exist.

Ed, go one step further and change back to the black on white forever.
I actually really like the dark home jumper, but if you go all white you would wear white shorts all the time

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting developments!

The shorts thing will be interesting, I can't see the AFL forcing Collingwood into white shorts for a home game.

Tbh if they both were dark shorts it would be a better option than Carlton wearing white.
My thoughts too. We all know the ideal situation, but if things are going the way we think they are then just let both sides wear dark shorts.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Don't praise him for solving a problem of his own making.
He didn't create the problem of the AFL not having enforced a consistent clash policy for so long that it's painful to change anything anymore.
He also didn't create the problem of wanting this match to be black-and-white stripes versus navy.

Yes he changed the jumper to black but that was before clash jumpers were really a thing. And it was a fairly long time ago now. He's come up with a good compromise solution, and has given some ground to get there. Good on him for that.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mcguire-to-act-on-pies-blues-jumper-clash-20180625-p4znl3.html

Boy this was a doosie. Players handballing to opposition team, at one point I even saw Treloar tackling Langdon in a pack :drunk:

The Classic clash example.

"I’m going to have a new jumper for Collingwood-Carlton games. We are the home team … to avoid the clash," McGuire said on Triple M on Monday.

"I don’t want Carlton wearing anything other than navy blue against Collingwood. I want the navy blues versus the black and white stripes. So we will wear our black shorts.

"I am going to commission a white jumper with the livery for a home game on it, so we will have three jumpers, if you like, next year. A black and white, white and black and a white and black with the Emirates on the front."

Interesting the McGuire would even give a stuff about this sorta stuff but commendable.

Cainozz

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mcguire-to-act-on-pies-blues-jumper-clash-20180625-p4znl3.html

Boy this was a doosie. Players handballing to opposition team, at one point I even saw Treloar tackling Langdon in a pack :drunk:

"I’m going to have a new jumper for Collingwood-Carlton games. We are the home team … to avoid the clash," McGuire said on Triple M on Monday.

"I don’t want Carlton wearing anything other than navy blue against Collingwood. I want the navy blues versus the black and white stripes. So we will wear our black shorts.

"I am going to commission a white jumper with the livery for a home game on it, so we will have three jumpers, if you like, next year. A black and white, white and black and a white and black with the Emirates on the front."

Interesting the McGuire would even give a stuff about this sorta stuff but commendable.
To be fair to Eddie, he has tried introducing something similar like this before with the whole v North debacle when they adopted a black base with two white stripes on front and back instead of 3.

I'm guessing it will be a jumper that is predominately white and larger black side panels like their clash jumper? Geez maybe just wear the clash jumper with black shorts?

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers

Credit to Eddie but Carlton could solve this problem by wearing orange...

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
He didn't create the problem of the AFL not having enforced a consistent clash policy for so long that it's painful to change anything anymore.
He also didn't create the problem of wanting this match to be black-and-white stripes versus navy.

Yes he changed the jumper to black but that was before clash jumpers were really a thing. And it was a fairly long time ago now. He's come up with a good compromise solution, and has given some ground to get there. Good on him for that.
Eddie is the one who insists that Carlton not wear a clash against them.

Yeah, that's not going to work. If we're wearing our white jumper white shorts are a must for this fixture otherwise there's still a mishmash of dark and white.

Back