News Collingwood to wear white jumper in home games against Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a lot of weird Eddie hatred on this thread. He's trying to tackle one of the remaining Big 4 clashes, and people are still bagging him out. Anyone else and we'd all be loving him.
Because it is a clash of his own making. He deserves to be bagged for it. You don't praise the guy that started the fire because he eventually put it out.

Just to refresh everybodys memory...

508408.jpg
I didn't realise the black n white logos extended to the shorts too and that Carlton has white on their socks

Apparently he's insisting on black shorts.
Yes, he is. That's a pretty minor thing to get angry over instead of being happy this is moving in a good direction.

Because it is a clash of his own making. He deserves to be bagged for it. You don't praise the guy that started the fire because he eventually put it out.
You do praise the guy who made a change which later became an issue and has recognised there is an issue and is working to fix it. It doesn't mean he didn't make that decision but remember nobody wore clash jumpers back then so why would it have been a consideration when switching to black? Don't let anger blind you to the fact that he made a decision that, at the time, didn't have the consequence it does now.

As someone who actually prefers the black jumper as a home (and has never understood this boards hard on for the white jumper+black shorts) I would prefer to see Carlton in the clash for the sake of, anyone and everyone else now wears a clash why can't they?
I know it's not them pushing the cause but who cares, the AFL should make a decision.

I like the white jumper too but I dont feel we are really solving the issue

Collingwood changed to mostly Black to avoid jumper clashes with North Melbourne and Geelong.
The AFL started talking about every club needing a Clash jumper and they changed to avoid the Clash.
It was only in the first game against Carlton that anyone considered the clash between the two.

All clubs in the AFL should have a HOME, AWAY (home with white shorts if they choose) and a CLASH, the clash must be of a different colour to the clubs colour/s.
If the purpose of those jumper was to resolve clashes, that would be the best option.
However, it is clear from the AFL's policy that jumpers will remain in club colours because only jumpers in club colours sell.
Even Adelaide have more success with the Yellow jumper than the White one.
Look at Essendon and their Silver jumper, Melbourne and the White jumper, and Carlton with Light Blue.
All failed because supporters didn't want them because they weren't traditional club colours.

All clubs in the AFL should have a HOME, AWAY (home with white shorts if they choose) and a CLASH, the clash must be of a different colour to the clubs colour/s.
Why should Adelaide not be allowed to wear a yellow jumper against Essendon? Just because it's a club colour doesn't mean there's a clash.

Would you rather Richmond wear yellow against Port, or pink?

Don’t think thats true. Pretty sure they dumped it because it didn’t sell that well. It appeared fans either absollutely loved it or absolutely hated it. Wasn’t much middle ground, whereas the white was fairly universally accepted.

If the purpose of those jumper was to resolve clashes, that would be the best option.
However, it is clear from the AFL's policy that jumpers will remain in club colours because only jumpers in club colours sell.
Look at Essendon and their Silver jumper, Melbourne and the White jumper, and Carlton with Light Blue.
All failed because supporters didn't want them because they weren't traditional club colours.

I understand that but it would only be worn maybe once or twice a season if their was room in the schedule. You used Adelaide so i'll go with that, maybe Yellow v Melbourne and Lions away and a Red one v Carlton away.

Why should Adelaide not be allowed to wear a yellow jumper against Essendon? Just because it's a club colour doesn't mean there's a clash.

Would you rather Richmond wear yellow against Port, or pink?

Get over the whole it's not my teams colours, it's time for the clubs to wear colours that don't clash and that includes umpires as well.
If you read what I wrote again you'll notice I wrote Away (home if they choose), does that categorically state they can't wear the yellow?

In an ideal world each club would have one colour and have a setup like the EPL.

And for the record hitthepost, as long as Richmond wore their home Guernsey at home I don't see what they wear as a clash would matter.

If you read what I wrote again you'll notice I wrote Away (home if they choose), does that categorically state they can't wear the yellow?
In regards to clash, which is what I asked about, yes, yes you did. "DIFFERENT TO CLUB COLOURS", and yellow is an Adelaide club colour. Read what you wrote.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In regards to clash, which is what I asked about, yes, yes you did. "DIFFERENT TO CLUB COLOURS", and yellow is an Adelaide club colour. Read what you wrote.

Mate do you read?

If the choose.
So if they want to wear their home with white, do it. If they want to wear white with white, do it.

Ultimately it comes down to the AFL telling clubs this is it, this is what you have to do.

There's a lot to be said for the classic thicker stripes, where the side ones are almost half cut off by the cuffs. Looks so much stronger. There's the added benefit of them looking light or dark depending on shorts (and cuffs, number panels help too). This thin stripe fascination is just a lazy hangover from the first polyester jumpers and each new manufacturer being more interested in their new collars and swirls than the basic jumper.

Mate do you read?
Yes.
a CLASH, the clash must be of a different colour to the clubs colour/s.

Am I missing something? Adelaide can't wear navy (eg home with white shorts) against Essendon so they'd be in their clash. Which you're saying can't be a club colour, and I want to know why it can't be a yellow jumper. When Essendon have zero yellow. Perfect clash solution.

Yes.

Am I missing something? Adelaide can't wear navy (eg home with white shorts) against Essendon so they'd be in their clash. Which you're saying can't be a club colour, and I want to know why it can't be a yellow jumper. When Essendon have zero yellow. Perfect clash solution.

Did I post their away can't be yellow?

If they choose, is what I wrote, if they choose to wear their home with white, shorts, if they choose to wear green with orange, if they choose to wear feathers.

You're stuck on Adelaide wearing their state colours, what you should be worried about is that your club came into the league and wears colours that Fitzroy had already and chose to go with them anyway.
Get over this it's our clubs colours and no one else's already, we all need to make sure that as viewers we can't tell who are who and need to differentiate who is who.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mcguire-to-act-on-pies-blues-jumper-clash-20180625-p4znl3.html

"I’m going to have a new jumper for Collingwood-Carlton games. We are the home team … to avoid the clash," McGuire said on Triple M on Monday.

"I don’t want Carlton wearing anything other than navy blue against Collingwood. I want the navy blues versus the black and white stripes. So we will wear our black shorts.

"I am going to commission a white jumper with the livery for a home game on it, so we will have three jumpers, if you like, next year. A black and white, white and black and a white and black with the Emirates on the front."

So guessing this Carton-specific white jumper will have black collar and cuffs to go with black shorts.. Similar to their 125 anniversary jumper.

As opposed to their white 'clash' jumper with white collar and cuffs.

Did I post their away can't be yellow?

If they choose, is what I wrote, if they choose to wear their home with white, shorts, if they choose to wear green with orange, if they choose to wear feathers.

You're stuck on Adelaide wearing their state colours, what you should be worried about is that your club came into the league and wears colours that Fitzroy had already and chose to go with them anyway.
Get over this it's our clubs colours and no one else's already, we all need to make sure that as viewers we can't tell who are who and need to differentiate who is who.
But say their away is navy. Why couldn't their clash be yellow?
I'm stuck on Adelaide wearing the colours they chose to represent their club, like I am every other team, when possible. Geelong and Carlton wear the same colours in different proportions no worries - like Adelaide and Fitzroy. I NEVER said it was only Adelaide's colours - you need to stop putting words in my mouth.

So guessing this Carton-specific white jumper will have black collar and cuffs to go with black shorts.. Similar to their 125 anniversary jumper.

As opposed to their white 'clash' jumper with white collar and cuffs.
Quite possibly. Would honestly love if we went to that jumper for that game specifically.

Exactly what I was thinking. Now that we seems to have infused 'gold' into our logo I really think we should push to make that a part of our identity, whether that be in a clash jumper of sorts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back