Traded Collingwood trade #27 to Richmond for #38, #40 and F3

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn’t tho. That’s just wishful thinking trying to justify this trade.

Let’s just take WBD example, 2 of the very best rebounding defenders in the comp in Dale and Daniel were taken with picks in the 40s.

You are not getting elite KPF late, but key defenders or players of any other role are often able to be found in that 30-40 range

look anything is possible, and draft night is 6 weeks away, so

Lets see what eventuates before we all get too excited.

The strategy of having 5 picks inside 28 sounds pretty good to me, with much more wheeling and dealing to come no doubt

In Blair we trust

Oh it was a shocking trade and made even worse by the fact they could have taken the second best kid AND got Daicos, as North won't bid at 1, Horne is the best player in the draft and they will call his name out.

Not disputing that in hindsight the trade has been horrible.

But it’s completely fanciful to believe that North would have allowed us to take 2 players.

There would have been plenty of other options we could have explored if we still had pick 2, but realistically that’s not one of them.

Pretty good deal this is for us, especially if the Daicos bid comes at pick 3 or 4 as that would leave us with 6 x 3rd round picks in hand to work with leading up to day 2 of the draft, whilst also giving us coverage for a perhaps somewhat less expected bid coming in at pick 1 or 2.

It's just nice overall to have a Football (List) Manager who just gets s**t done in a timely manner, rather than dicking around, leaving it until the last minute to sort out and then getting bent over while they watching the clock rapidly approach the deadline for finalising trades.

The Pies currently have six list vacancies, so will need to cut one more player to take all their third round picks to the draft.

Still 38 and 40 was sufficient for 27. Trading a future 3rd really tips the scales collingwoods way. If by trade up you mean 26-28 into teens picks possibly..but i cant see anyone earlier than pick 7 doing a trade up with them.
There was some competition for pick 27 there was about 3 teams who could have offered 2 picks worth about the same amount. Geelong could have offered 34 and 50 for example. Thats why the future 3rd was needed. There was more than 1 suitor for the pick.

I reckon we'll sit back now and wait for the best offer on 26, 27 and 28. If nothing satisfies take them all to the draft. It's a great position to be in.
I think we keep all three.
Pick one slider, one for position and one slight reach.

Or if there’s two sliders there go for those and one for position.

Aim to end up with one decent player and one role player from those three and we would be happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could have our eyes on Collingwood's pick 36 or the Dogs' pick 23.
Pick 23 will be hard without using future picks and I reckon the Doggies want 2021 Draft picks for Pick 23 - you might need to get a 3rd party involved!

Shows just how wrong the points index is.

AFL really need to update it to reflect the true value of draft picks relative to each other.

Certainly needs some tweaking weighted towards the top end but the value of picks relative to one another changes year on year. It’s difficult to get right and COVID disrupting underage footy and therefore the later rounds certainly doesn’t help.

Certainly needs some tweaking weighted towards the top end but the value of picks relative to one another changes year on year. It’s difficult to get right and COVID disrupting underage footy and therefore the later rounds certainly doesn’t help.

Some smart bloke could just feed all pick for pick trades from the last 10 years into a spreadsheet and produce an accurate points curve.

Clubs who match bids at the top end can now pay a significant portion of the cost through these type of trades. So instead of a 20% discount, they can get up to 50% discount.

This wasn’t intended and I reckon it’s a joke that they haven’t fixed it.

Some smart bloke could just feed all pick for pick trades from the last 10 years into a spreadsheet and produce an accurate points curve.

Clubs who match bids at the top end can now pay a significant portion of the cost through these type of trades. So instead of a 20% discount, they can get up to 50% discount.

This wasn’t intended and I reckon it’s a joke that they haven’t fixed it.

Good luck finding one of them at AFL house.

Not disputing that in hindsight the trade has been horrible.

But it’s completely fanciful to believe that North would have allowed us to take 2 players.

There would have been plenty of other options we could have explored if we still had pick 2, but realistically that’s not one of them.
Hard disagree, North would not risk genuinely missing out on Horne Francis by bidding on Daicos, you definitely would have had a pick at 2

Whats done is done but yeah North would 100% take Horne Francis

clubs are throwing away entire draft hands for 1 player currently, thats a fair enough trade off for stockpiling late picks IMO

I still don't get this.

Are clubs not better off not bidding for Daicos and Darcy until say Essendon at pick 11 because of Essendon's later picks Essendon will want to move forward from the bidding process?? It is not like the Pies and Bulldogs can use high draft picks if they do not bid on Daicos and Darcy at the moment.

That way are the Pies and Bulldogs forced to use a lot of later picks in the draft that are not used in bidding that are relatively ineffective anyway due to the relative later draft position of the picks. That is unless some other clubs wish to trade for them for those picks on the night for whatever reason after bidding including getting future picks to help these clubs with stranded late picks they have to use if there ?

What would North, GWS, and Gold Coast let alone Adelaide in particular have to gain by bidding on Daicos and Darcy? I think its the same with other clubs until say possibly Essendon. Clubs want Bulldogs to use up their pick 23 but these clubs better picks are going to be consumed when Daicos and Darcy gets bid on later in the draft anyway provided it is before pick 23

Last edited:
Hard disagree, North would not risk genuinely missing out on Horne Francis by bidding on Daicos, you definitely would have had a pick at 2

Whats done is done but yeah North would 100% take Horne Francis

Yeah, I don’t really want to engage in another Daicos & Horne Francis comparison that devolves into a slinging match. Been there, done that.

But needless to say I disagree. Particularly given the headiness of the Daicos legacy at our club.

Imo it would be a very transparent game of bluff.

Last edited:
Yeah I think so too.

Apparently we are looking at 3-4 draftees this year including Daicos. So hopefully with 3x future 3rds, we can package them with our current 3rd round picks for picks in the 30-40 range.

Would a club do future 3rd + pick 48 for pick 35 for example?

GCS would probably give a player too if they could.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back