List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022--> PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or upgrading Ginnivan?

FWIW assuming we retain our picks I’d take the 4 in the ND and use the 4th on a state league type.

Too late, had to be done already a couple of weeks ago.

Wednesday, November 2
  • Lists submitted for Rookie promotion to primary list by 2pm

If we get Brayden George in the National Draft, are we able to put him on the long term injury list and then look at getting a player in the SSP?
I like moves like this. With the assumption there are good candidates to choose from.
Year 1 is largely a free pass for 95% of draftees anyway, so if George’s structural components are ok, I could live with the risk to get another De Goey on the list

Too late, had to be done already a couple of weeks ago.

Wednesday, November 2
  • Lists submitted for Rookie promotion to primary list by 2pm
Looks like there's a "Rookie Upgrade Period" from 10pm - 11pm after the National Draft. Is that purely for players on the list submitted on November 2? And if so, could players be on that list that don't have to be upgraded (e.g. Ginni)? Thus giving some flexibility pending the outcome of the ND i.e. freeing up a rookie spot if we don't want to use our 4th pick on the night

If we get Brayden George in the National Draft, are we able to put him on the long term injury list and then look at getting a player in the SSP?
I’m not completely opposed to that, but I’m not sure players can be placed on the LTI until the season commences and if it’s allowed I’m also a bit sus on placing someone on the LTI to free up a rookie spot if there’s a chance they could play in 2023 (assuming George hasn’t been ruled out next year). The main observation I’d make is that it feels like a convoluted way to free up an SSP spot.

Looks like there's a "Rookie Upgrade Period" from 10pm - 11pm after the National Draft. Is that purely for players on the list submitted on November 2? And if so, could players be on that list that don't have to be upgraded (e.g. Ginni)? Thus giving some flexibility pending the outcome of the ND i.e. freeing up a rookie spot if we don't want to use our 4th pick on the night

If Ginni were on that rookie promotion list then surely we would have heard about it by now. I mean it's Jack Ginnivan - super villain of the AFL we're talking about here.

It does seem strange though that there's a very late noted session for rookie upgrades slipped in there, with the parallel one-hour DFA signing period being equally strange.

I'd assume that the former would be the "physical" manifestation of the rookie promotion list submitted on Nov 2, which needs to be processed to determine pre-season and rookie draft order the following day, but who knows what the AFL are cooking up as they make it all up on the run.

Last edited:
I’m not completely opposed to that, but I’m not sure players can be placed on the LTI until the season commences and if it’s allowed I’m also a bit sus on placing someone on the LTI to free up a rookie spot if there’s a chance they could play in 2023 (assuming George hasn’t been ruled out next year). The main observation I’d make is that it feels like a convoluted way to free up an SSP spot.
That's not a bad idea. It does seem to be testing the system but it could also ensure we get a very solid young player.

Good move by Freo. That pick will come in to the 30’s after bid matching
Is there anyone on the board at that point of the draft that presents as good value? Outside the top 30 (probably generous) I doubt we’re going to see many hits in this draft so I’d be more interested in state league options who will likely be available in the 50’s. The way it’s likely to shake out it’s even possible that the guy they take with that pick might have been available at the back end of the draft.

Unless there's been complications, I don't understand why everyone is assuming he's out for the year, which would be a 13 month return to play from an ACL. Haven't they gotten them down to about 9 or 10 months as standard these days - or am I imagining that?

Unless there's been complications, I don't understand why everyone is assuming he's out for the year, which would be a 13 month return to play from an ACL. Haven't they gotten them down to about 9 or 10 months as standard these days - or am I imagining that?
My only guess is it’s about his age and giving him extra time, but like you I thought most were back around the 9-10 month mark as well. If he were to be drafted to Collingwood my preference would be to seeing him play as much footy as possible in 2023 unless the medicos want to take a conservative path.

That's not a bad idea. It does seem to be testing the system but it could also ensure we get a very solid young player.
There's bound to be an element of risk, but he seems to have plenty of good qualities.
That said, there's an element of risk in any draft pick.
Joel Selwood & Chris Judd are 2 examples of players who had injury queries on them prior to being drafted who went on to have great careers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I please ask for a summary, as best as factually known, of what ended up happening with salary cap maneuvering this trade period and how we sit with Treloar, Stephenson etc. Also delistings (the Brown bros $ saved etc.).

Also future picks and where we settled with that please.i feel as tho we have lost our '23 2nd & maybe 3rd, but don't know what we have gained.

I feel as tho we got Mitchell cheap with a subsidy (using Ollie) and we let Brodie go cheap (pick 27) because we only paying 200K or so, not the 300-350K range.

I hope that we are placed to have salary cap room and 1st round picks to at least have a real crack at someone like a King (Ben or Max - not fussed) or Logan McDonald or sign a gun free agent.
Logan McDonald was a tad underwhelming in the finals series.

Can I please ask for a summary, as best as factually known, of what ended up happening with salary cap maneuvering this trade period and how we sit with Treloar, Stephenson etc. Also delistings (the Brown bros $ saved etc.).

Also future picks and where we settled with that please.i feel as tho we have lost our '23 2nd & maybe 3rd, but don't know what we have gained.

I feel as tho we got Mitchell cheap with a subsidy (using Ollie) and we let Brodie go cheap (pick 27) because we only paying 200K or so, not the 300-350K range.

I hope that we are placed to have salary cap room and 1st round picks to at least have a real crack at someone like a King (Ben or Max - not fussed) or Logan McDonald or sign a gun free agent.
Ben is better than Max imo. I would prefer Ben over Max if I had to choose.

It reopens for an hour (?!) after the draft.

I wonder if thats where delisted players are picked up as rookies after making it through the ND eg. as per the agreement with have with Murley and Wilson?

McKenna to the Lions. How good are they getting??? Almost premiership favourites with the list they have.
The huge amount of media attention he has received in spending two months trying to decide which club to sign with is a real headscratcher. Besides a couple of cheeky party tricks with the ball he's not actually THAT good.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure bianco is underrated. Will need to improve quite a bit to stay on the list. Not getting any quicker, and Great attitude will only get you so far. other than his kick to Elliott, am still waiting to see evidence of his elite disposal
Go back and watch the 2nd Crows game where King pointed out some outstanding passages, including great vision in starting attacking chains.

TB is a very smart footballer with great skill, but agree a bit more pace would be handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back