List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

TheGreatGrundy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Technically speaking he doesn't need to if he wants to try to get onto a list as an SSP addition by doing a pre-season with an AFL club, or perhaps looking to be picked up as an selection after showing some consistently strong VFL form. Not saying he will bother with either option, but at worst he is definitely VFL standard which isn't so bad with it being the second strongest league in the country only behind the AFL.

TradeDraft

Premium Platinum
Oct 18, 2009
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Collingwood
COLLINGWOOD
PICKS: 36, 38, 40, 46, 48, 58, 78, 79.
KEY DEFENDERS: Darcy Moore, Jeremy Howe, Jordan Roughead, Jack Madgen, Mark Keane.
SMALL/MEDIUM DEFENDERS: Jack Crisp, Brayden Maynard, Isaac Quaynor, Trey Ruscoe, John Noble, Callum Brown, Nathan Murphy.
MIDFIELDERS: Scott Pendlebury, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom, Josh Daicos, Patrick Lipinski, Tyler Brown, Trent Bianco, Finlay Macrae, Reef McInnes, Caleb Poulter.
KEY FORWARDS: Brody Mihocek, Nathan Kreuger, Will Kelly, Tom Wilson, Liam McMahon.
SMALL/MEDIUM FORWARDS: Jordan De Goey, Jamie Elliott, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Ollie Henry, Beau McCreery, Jack Ginnivan, Ash Johnson.
RUCKS: Brodie Grundy, Darcy Cameron, Mason Cox.

All avenues have led to Nick Daicos, brother of Josh and son of club legend Peter, as he emerged as a junior star in recent seasons. The Oakleigh Chargers’ midfielder oozes class and just has a knack of finding the football, meaning the Magpies have a player ready to step straight into senior football on their list in 2022. The question is when another club will make a bid for him, with North Melbourne likely to pass and hand the honour of first pick to Jason Horne-Francis. However either the Giants or the Suns are almost certain to make a bid, costing Collingwood much of their draft hand early in the piece. However once that transaction is completed the Magpies have gathered a good stock of picks for the 2022 national draft, which may allow them to trade their way back into the second round of the draft where they could look at a small forward such as Judson Clarke, Jesse Motlop or even Dan Butler if they were still around the draft in the 30s. Otherwise, the club could head to the back end of the draft, where recruiting manager Derek Hine often excels to grab a mature-age Williamstown player such as Charlie Dean or even ex-Cat Blake Schlensog. They will also re-rookie Isaac Chugg.

snagbreac

All Australian
Sep 13, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City, BHAFC, Washington FT
COLLINGWOOD
PICKS: 36, 38, 40, 46, 48, 58, 78, 79.
KEY DEFENDERS: Darcy Moore, Jeremy Howe, Jordan Roughead, Jack Madgen, Mark Keane.
SMALL/MEDIUM DEFENDERS: Jack Crisp, Brayden Maynard, Isaac Quaynor, Trey Ruscoe, John Noble, Callum Brown, Nathan Murphy.
MIDFIELDERS: Scott Pendlebury, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom, Josh Daicos, Patrick Lipinski, Tyler Brown, Trent Bianco, Finlay Macrae, Reef McInnes, Caleb Poulter.
KEY FORWARDS: Brody Mihocek, Nathan Kreuger, Will Kelly, Tom Wilson, Liam McMahon.
SMALL/MEDIUM FORWARDS: Jordan De Goey, Jamie Elliott, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Ollie Henry, Beau McCreery, Jack Ginnivan, Ash Johnson.
RUCKS: Brodie Grundy, Darcy Cameron, Mason Cox.

All avenues have led to Nick Daicos, brother of Josh and son of club legend Peter, as he emerged as a junior star in recent seasons. The Oakleigh Chargers’ midfielder oozes class and just has a knack of finding the football, meaning the Magpies have a player ready to step straight into senior football on their list in 2022. The question is when another club will make a bid for him, with North Melbourne likely to pass and hand the honour of first pick to Jason Horne-Francis. However either the Giants or the Suns are almost certain to make a bid, costing Collingwood much of their draft hand early in the piece. However once that transaction is completed the Magpies have gathered a good stock of picks for the 2022 national draft, which may allow them to trade their way back into the second round of the draft where they could look at a small forward such as Judson Clarke, Jesse Motlop or even Dan Butler if they were still around the draft in the 30s. Otherwise, the club could head to the back end of the draft, where recruiting manager Derek Hine often excels to grab a mature-age Williamstown player such as Charlie Dean or even ex-Cat Blake Schlensog. They will also re-rookie Isaac Chugg.

I don't personally think that we'll be getting anyone analysts expect. I'm expecting a few steals, an Indigenous player (due to the Do Better report) and another Oakleigh Charger. Sam Banks also looks like a strong choice.

Charlie Dean AND Bake Schelnsog would be the ultimate pair of late selections. Both fit our needs nicely.

Not one mention of Hammelmann in the article ... which means he could be available come the rookies.

snagbreac

All Australian
Sep 13, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
We don't need a future second at this draft. It's a second rounder. I'm sure we can deal with that next year. People are so hung up about having a second but that's not going to harm us if we wait until next year to cross that bridge. If we're making deals, it should be with lowly-ranked teams so we can optimise what we get. But the priority is drafting players in this year so we rise, then next season we could make a plan to trade out a player.

Let's say Jordan de Goey, without going into the ethics of him playing or not, does come back. At the end of 2021, Collingwood could decide to trade him therefore netting another selection. Other players may leave and net us picks to use.

My point is we really don't need to worry about a second rounder when next year is still fluid and players will be coming and going. I'm sure Wrighty has a plan.

Last edited:

ToonAussie

Debutant
Aug 16, 2009
mount eliza
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NUFC: f'stonblues: DukeMBB:Warriors
We don't need a future second at this draft. It's a second rounder. I'm sure we can deal with that next year. People are so hung up about having a second but that's not going to harm us if we wait until next year to cross that bridge. If we're making deals, it should be with lowly-ranked teams so we can optimise what we get. But the priority is drafting players in this year so we rise, then next season we could make a plan to trade out a player.

Let's say Jordan de Goey, without going into the ethics of him playing or not, does come back. At the end of 2021, Collingwood could decide to trade him therefore netting another selection. Other players may leave and net us picks to use.

My point is we really don't need to worry about a second rounder when next year is still fluid and players will be coming and going. I'm sure Wrighty has a plan.
Prochard was asking who might we trade picks 36 and 38 to, rather than lose them in the Daicos bid.
They were wondering which club with a future 2nd round pick might be interested.
Your reply to him was not relevant to his post at all, as you really do know if you had thought about it a bit more.

Otherwise your post does make perfect sense!
haha

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Maybe actually use your brain to think and do some research before you post next time.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Whose future 2nd can we realistically target with pick 36 and 38?

Sounds pretty clear what our strategy is, which is a good change.
St Kilda is one obvious target. GWS need points to match a Fahey bid as well. Time will tell, but I'm sure GW has something in the works, perhaps a couple of options both to trade out and then to trade back in at different points depending on how far key prospects on our draft board slip.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
St Kilda is one obvious target. GWS need points to match a Fahey bid as well. Time will tell, but I'm sure GW has something in the works, perhaps a couple of options both to trade out and then to trade back in at different points depending on how far key prospects on our draft board slip.
I agree, think St kilda is one of the more likely options.

Hoping for Adelaide’s future second tho.

snagbreac

All Australian
Sep 13, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Maybe actually use your brain to think and do some research before you post next time.
Yeah so the thing is I didn't read your post correctly. Sorry. I have modified it so I'm not actually quoting yours anymore. In your scenario, so many teams want to trade in even someone like Hawthorn could be eager. Essendon is keen but I think they want higher picks. So many clubs are vying for those top 20, 30 selections that afterwards is hard to predict.

Scodog10

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Do we really need another small forward? I’d rather more midfielders
Projecting forward the best 22 quality small forwards on our list currently include Ginnivan, McReery and the off contract Elliott @ 29. Two of those guys are still speculative so we need one more at least. Rachelle’s the dream and the type of guy we haven’t had since Didak, but overall I personally think this draft is all about small forwards and midfielders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Projecting forward the best 22 quality small forwards on our list currently include Ginnivan, McReery and the off contract Elliott @ 29. Two of those guys are still speculative so we need one more at least. Rachelle’s the dream and the type of guy we haven’t had since Didak, but overall I personally think this draft is all about small forwards and midfielders.
Looking at recent premiership teams I’d say small forward is probably the least important role on the ground, you just need a bloke who pressures hard and kicks around a goal a game… wouldn’t spend a high pick on one unless he projects to become a mid or his talent is unreal.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looking at recent premiership teams I’d say small forward is probably the least important role on the ground, you just need a bloke who pressures hard and kicks around a goal a game… wouldn’t spend a high pick on one unless he projects to become a mid or his talent is unreal.
Hawks had two rippers in Breust and Rioli plus Poppy. Tiges had about 4 solid ones, with a style built around them. Both teams forwards tried to bring it to ground for their small forwards, more than trying to mark pack balls. So I don't understand your first sentence.

Whilst they've been traditionally cheap, their effectiveness in recent years has seen their price go up considerably in recent drafts. .

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hawks had two rippers in Breust and Rioli plus Poppy. Tiges had about 4 solid ones, with a style built around them. Both teams forwards tried to bring it to ground for their small forwards, more than trying to mark pack balls. So I don't understand your first sentence.

Whilst they've been traditionally cheap, their effectiveness in recent years has seen their price go up considerably in recent drafts. .
Breust and poppy were both taken in the rookie draft, Rioli falls into the unreal talent category that I mentioned.

Richmond Melbourne and WB only had role players as small forwards… clearly mods, key defenders, rebounding defenders and key forwards are more important to a team.

Mkcaptain

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
I think Melbourne would be stoked with the pick 10 they invested in Pickett.

Couch Coach

Premium Platinum
Apr 26, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

And who was feeding these players the ball?

Martin, Cotchin, Graham, Prestia, Edwards, etc.
Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, Smith, Burgoyne, etc.

And who was the KPF to take the best defenders?

Roughead and Gunston.
Riewoldt and Lynch.

I would argue that without the mids and KPF's these smalls would struggle.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
And who was feeding these players the ball?

Martin, Cotchin, Graham, Prestia, Edwards, etc.
Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, Smith, Burgoyne, etc.

And who was the KPF to take the best defenders?

Roughead and Gunston.
Riewoldt and Lynch.

I would argue that without the mids and KPF's these smalls would struggle.
I think mids are undoubtedly the most important. Interestingly though, Martin split his time between mid and small forward in their last two premierships - with more time forward. And the first was one with only Riewoldt. They just desperately (often dodgily) brought it to ground - often with one less flying in the air, and then their smalls did the damage.

Were Roughy and Gunston more important than Cyril, Bruest and Poppy? Together they made a deadly forwardline. Replace either the talls or the smalls with lesser players and it wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective.

ToonAussie

Debutant
Aug 16, 2009
mount eliza
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NUFC: f'stonblues: DukeMBB:Warriors
I feel that we need to be more specific than meagrely saying "small forward".
Posters are meaning different types when they use the term, I believe.

sr36 for instance has called Dustin Martin a small forward when in the forward line.
This to me meaning that he's not a KPF.

Is this what we all mean by small forward or are some of us thinking a small forward as a fast, tackling, crumber with great goal sense?
And that there are other non-KPF forwards as well?

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
I feel that we need to be more specific than meagrely saying "small forward".
Posters are meaning different types when they use the term, I believe.

sr36 for instance has called Dustin Martin a small forward when in the forward line.
This to me meaning that he's not a KPF.

Is this what we all mean by small forward or are some of us thinking a small forward as a fast, tackling, crumber with great goal sense?
And that there are other non-KPF forwards as well?
It's always going to be really blurry as guys like Liam Ryan stand on packs. Brisbane often try to isolate Cameron as a kicking target. Adelaide used to do the same with Eddie Betts, etc... And these days they all hit up on leads when appropriate.

But to me it's basically whether the bloke is more dangerous in the air or at ground level and whether theyre more likely to fly in a pack or stay down for the ground ball.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's always going to be really blurry as guys like Liam Ryan stand on packs. Brisbane often try to isolate Cameron as a kicking target. Adelaide used to do the same with Eddie Betts, etc... And these days they all hit up on leads when appropriate.

But to me it's basically whether the bloke is more dangerous in the air or at ground level and whether theyre more likely to fly in a pack or stay down for the ground ball.
We don't need to look even that far afield Jamie has been a true marking target all his career and no one would call him a KPF.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
We don't need to look even that far afield Jamie has been a true marking target all his career and no one would call him a KPF.
You wouldn't call him a small forward though either. In the old days, he probably would have played full forward (like he often does now) and kicked a lot of goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad