List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone hear Andy Maher on SEN today I almost drove off the road he said Grundy isn’t worth a first round pick regardless of his high contract and he also said if someone paid his full contract we would be happy with pick 60 ish I can’t believe what comes out of his mouth sometimes
Carltons version of Bill Brownless. Cheerleading nuffie

Great post and conveys my thoughts well

As I mentioned the other day, clearly Buckley and the previous football department had created an environment players had to be overpaid to stay in, which has led us to this situation.

If McRae has the current list on board for becoming a list that takes unders to stay together and win flags, then Grundy will forever be a thorn in everyone's side for the next 5 years with his inflated contract as a remnant of the previous regime.

If he's not willing to be "team first" and take a slight paycut to keep everyone together (which he's entitled to not take), then it makes sense we'd be looking to move him on, particularly given his output for the last 3 seasons.
I think it is more like player managers took advantage of Ned Guy and called his bluff.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Carltons version of Bill Brownless. Cheerleading nuffie

I'm conflicted with him. He's a toff who does a half arsed job or sounding like an everyman. It really stands out when he's next to an authentic character like Mick Molloy. He adds very little actual footy insight and isn't a story breaker either like Caro or Barrett (for all their flaws).

But I do enjoy his fortnightly chats with Fly and he's said a lot of very nice things about our current group. More than I've ever said about Carlton, that's for sure.

Ultimately he's a blueser so he can get bent. Yay.

Did anyone hear Andy Maher on SEN today I almost drove off the road he said Grundy isn’t worth a first round pick regardless of his high contract and he also said if someone paid his full contract we would be happy with pick 60 ish I can’t believe what comes out of his mouth sometimes
Maher is a peanut. Just look at his opinions on Cripps being suspended

It's not years 1 and 2 that worry me about Grundy, it's 3, 4 and 5. If we don't cut our losses now, we may have some serious, serious issues paying 900k+ for veteran Grundy, who has now had surgery on his ankle.

Would suck to see him play elsewhere, but it seems the best course of action to trade him even if we have to pay a portion of his salary

Anybody who gets upset at him for not taking a pay cut is a clown and should be ignored.

Why tf should he take a pay cut?
He doesn’t have to, you’re right. Which is why he has been asked to talk to other clubs. But it’s being suggested because… covid dictated that salary caps haven’t increased linearly to fit his current contract in… plus he’s proven that he’s not worth that amount… plus $700k over 5 years Is already a v good salary for a player that has already made plenty, is on the decline and wouldnt have made the AA 40 man squad this year, even if uninjured. Whilst sounding harsh, he’s also currently hurting the club he “loves” from moving forward and genuinely challenging for flags in the next 5 years. Not that he has to buy-in to this, am merely pointing out my opinion of the thought process behind the club’s stance here.

The whole hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong and Lions teams of the past have done it, so why is it so shocking that one overpaid player is being asked to do the same

Last edited:
I'm conflicted with him. He's a toff who does a half arsed job or sounding like an everyman. It really stands out when he's next to an authentic character like Mick Molloy. He adds very little actual footy insight and isn't a story breaker either like Caro or Barrett (for all their flaws).

But I do enjoy his fortnightly chats with Fly and he's said a lot of very nice things about our current group. More than I've ever said about Carlton, that's for sure.

Ultimately he's a blueser so he can get bent. Yay.
He’s the nerd on frontbar but he’s cocky and cool on SEN with gaze the bloke just annoys the hell out of me lately

The form of Brodie at Freo will surely see salary dumps in a poor light.

Brodie has been AA squad level

Embarrassing by Gold Coast to give him away and give Freo picks
Brodie was never going to get another game in front of Rowell, Anderson and Miller so GC are paying him overs to play VFL and losing cap space if they don't find a way to move him on. They also had a bulging list that they needed to cull, which is why they only took one pick to the draft. Another contested mid wasn't a need for them, whereas a fwd/ruck was (Chol). On the other hand, Freo just lost Cerra and had cap space so Brodie filled a need.

Clubs don't care about embarassment at the trade table if it improves their list. That's just something that we spectators have turned into a sport with winners and losers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need more help in the middle and clearances.

Grundy is a good clearance player even when only going at 75% of his 18/19 peak is a top line AFL ruck.

Why would we risk giving a premiership contender like the Cats a ruck to fill a weakness in their list and actually pay a 1/3 of his wages.

Would be just our luck to see him find his 18/19 best and we become a laughing stock as we battle with an inconsistent Cox and Cameron.

We need more help in the middle and clearances.

Grundy is a good clearance player even when only going at 75% of his 18/19 peak is a top line AFL ruck.

Why would we risk giving a premiership contender like the Cats a ruck to fill a weakness in their list and actually pay a 1/3 of his wages.

Would be just our luck to see him find his 18/19 best and we become a laughing stock as we battle with an inconsistent Cox and Cameron.
Yes…Grundy has a lot of very good Footy left in him…
Would rather it be with us…not opposition.

He doesn’t have to, you’re right. Which is why he has been asked to talk to other clubs. But it’s being suggested because… covid dictated that salary caps haven’t increased linearly to fit his current contract in… plus he’s proven that he’s not worth that amount… plus $700k over 5 years Is already a v good salary for a player that has already made plenty, is on the decline and wouldnt have made the AA 40 man squad this year, even if uninjured. Whilst sounding harsh, he’s also currently hurting the club he “loves” from moving forward and genuinely challenging for flags in the next 5 years. Not that he has to buy-in to this, am merely pointing out my opinion of the thought process behind the club’s stance here.

The whole hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong and Lions teams of the past have done it, so why is it so shocking that one overpaid player is being asked to do the same
re: this - these clubs havent just gone to players and said ' hey sorry we think that contract you signed 2 years ago is a dud and your output isnt matcing the $$$ we are paying you so we think you should take a paycut'. the players have been asked and agreed to tae a paycut because the club has identified a specific player who they believe will bring them further success and who they want to get across to the club in that trade period but need more room in the salary cap. that what the players agreed.

If we have taranto on the hook because we believe he is a missing piece and need some more $$$ to fit him in then players like grundy should consider taking a cut but if we want him to take a cut because we have buyers remorse over his contract then the club should just suck it up and accept it made an error

Brodie was never going to get another game in front of Rowell, Anderson and Miller so GC are paying him overs to play VFL and losing cap space if they don't find a way to move him on. They also had a bulging list that they needed to cull, which is why they only took one pick to the draft. Another contested mid wasn't a need for them, whereas a fwd/ruck was (Chol). On the other hand, Freo just lost Cerra and had cap space so Brodie filled a need.

Clubs don't care about embarassment at the trade table if it improves their list. That's just something that we spectators have turned into a sport with winners and losers.
You need more than 3 midfielders.

Freo fleeced the Gold Coast.

Gold Coast didnt improve their list, Freo definately did.

Not sure why any Pies fan would want us to play Gold Coast in that scenario.

Yeah lets give Melbourne / Geelong our number 1 ruck Grundy and 300k of our cap for a speculative draft pick back in return.

If we have taranto on the hook because we believe he is a missing piece and need some more $$$ to fit him in then players like grundy should consider taking a cut but if we want him to take a cut because we have buyers remorse over his contract then the club should just suck it up and accept it made an error
That is what clubs like Geelong and Hawthorn were able to do to remain on top and bring in senior talent.

Senior players agreed to renogiate contracts.

From a post footy perspective if you are a Pies legend and premiership player you will be looked after by the club and coteries etc.

Yes…Grundy has a lot of very good Footy left in him…
Would rather it be with us…not opposition.
A lot of the apprehension is because we can't yet see the benefits for us in the trade as we don't know what we're getting back. Similar things were said before the Heath Shaw trade. Yeah, he went on to play great footy for GWS but it didn't hurt anywhere near as much because we got the inside mid (Adams) we needed and pumped games into Bruzzy who filled his role.

I very much doubt that clubs care as much we do about former players playing well for their new side.

You need more than 3 midfielders.

Freo fleeced the Gold Coast.

Gold Coast didnt improve their list, Freo definately did.

Not sure why any Pies fan would want us to play Gold Coast in that scenario.

Yeah lets give Melbourne / Geelong our number 1 ruck Grundy and 300k of our cap for a speculative draft pick back in return.
You don't pay players big money to be backups. Brodie was apparently on 600k at GC. And we were in the Gold Coast scenario when we traded Lynch. The only difference is you would have preferred that we paid Lynch overs to remain an understudy because he might end up playing well for someone else.

This aligns with plenty of Pies fans view of Grundy performance and worth.

Ie Grundy no longer our clear #1 ruck, we are a better team with Cameron who can take marks behind the ball.

So for a club to take a "fringe" ruck off our hands who is getting paid at AA level we will barely get anything in return.

Personally I disagree, and think Grundy is a quality first choice AFL ruck who will improve any team he plays for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back