List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The unfortunate part is that non expansion clubs are never able to get into this "dire" situation.

The AFL are certainly going over the top to allow these expansion clubs to buy a flag.
The inequality that is the academy system, not to mention they can take any player from the clubs listed inside the top 20 without a bid being matched. What a joke!

NEXT GENERATION ACADEMY
Carlton

Domanic Akuei

Fremantle
Eric Benning
Jesse Motlop

Hawthorn
Paul Haasbroek

Melbourne
Mac Andrew
Andy Moniz-Wakefield

St Kilda
Josiah Kyle
Mitchito Owens
Jack Peris
Marcus Windhager

Western Bulldogs
Cody Raak

NORTHERN ACADEMY
Gold Coast

Jason Baird
Will Bella
Jed Foggo
Austin Harris
Thomas Hofert
Antonio James
Jack Johnston
Jamie Jones
Brodie Lake
Brinn Little
Max Pescud
Bailey Reeves
Ned Stevens
Jaeden Watts

Is Ben Crocker any chance to be redrafted by Collingwood?

I know he has been a “nearly” player, but he’s the right age, plays a handy position, kicks the occasional goal, won Carlton reserves B&F, and is afl ready.
He seems to have been training with a few of our guys at Puls8 as well.

I was never really a fan in the past, and I reckon he’s a bit of a head case, but he may have some merit, perhaps as an SSP.

Any thoughts?
Absolutely under no circumstances. Been delisted twice, that says it all.
Crocker is a shocker.

I know he has been a “nearly” player, but he’s the right age, plays a handy position, kicks the occasional goal, won Carlton reserves B&F, and is afl ready.

I was never really a fan in the past, and I reckon he’s a bit of a head case, but he may have some merit, perhaps as an SSP.

Any thoughts?

He isn’t up to AFL standard, but I do think he’s one that would be good to bolster our VFL squad. With the current setup in terms of FD funding having a strong VFL group and attacking that level with real intent interests me more than whatever the current strategy is.

He isn’t up to AFL standard, but I do think he’s one that would be good to bolster our VFL squad. With the current setup in terms of FD funding having a strong VFL group and attacking that level with real intent interests me more than whatever the current strategy is.

I agree. VFL is his standard.
He is with Carlton's VFL side, he was the first player they re-signed for 2022, after winning their best and fairest.

And Sier did not. Shows where his head is at.

Technically speaking he doesn't need to if he wants to try to get onto a list as an SSP addition by doing a pre-season with an AFL club, or perhaps looking to be picked up as an selection after showing some consistently strong VFL form. Not saying he will bother with either option, but at worst he is definitely VFL standard which isn't so bad with it being the second strongest league in the country only behind the AFL.

Last edited:
This actually explains it pretty well.

I think its not a terrible outcome for both parties.

Its time we moved on from this Greenwood thing. Its done.
Of course it is a terrible outcome for the Suns, if it happened to the Blues we'd be laughing about it for months.

Why would they be angry with the club? The club tried to keep the list together without sacking any of their mates - it was Greenwood who decided to walk.
Because he was popular... Really, shouldn't be needed to be delisted.

Any thoughts?
No.

And he's not a head case.. he's a great bloke who's been through quite a bit.

Of course it is a terrible outcome for the Suns, if it happened to the Blues we'd be laughing about it for months.
It sucks sure, but they can cover him no doubt. They are building up a depth of mids that would have gone past him soon.

Anyway its done. Everyone is moving forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ruckman is the last thing we need, slow plodder mid is even a greater need
My view is that you draft 18 year olds for what they'll be from 22-30. I'd just go best available as I don't think we have any areas you'd be confident about for that time frame.

Would you draft 3 ruckman in a row if they were all best available at each pick?
No, not ruck. But I would any other role. But if there's a ruck we like now, I'd draft him as he's likely to be hitting that age when Grundy needs help and we have zero rucks in that Age Group.

There are times to draft for need - when you have a role that appears covered for the long term. We're not in that position for any player type.

Yeah.
They had the unfortuate of everyone being contracted. Yes it sucks Hugh's time ended the way it did, but to have that luxury, it can't be a bad thing especially for them given their rentention issues in the past.
They are forming a deep growing midfield, he would have ended up just being squeezed out sooner rather than later, so this is beneficial for both parties.
That is one way of defending the absurd Rory Atkins 5 year contract

Ha???????

For example if we trade pick 36 to the Suns on draft night for their future third, the AFL won't let us trade that future third back to the Suns.

They would however let us use that future third to trade with someone else. For example if we did the above trade it would leave us with 4 third rounders (Hawthorn's, Richmond's, Brisbane and whichever of our own or GCS' picks they give us).

We could hypothetically trade one of them to a team for a third round this year...

Or get creative and trade a package of 3 of them to the Lions for Pick 20 and get Chesser or Knevitt :moustache:

Technically speaking he doesn't need to if he wants to try to get onto a list as an SSP addition by doing a pre-season with an AFL club, or perhaps looking to be picked up as an selection after showing some consistently strong VFL form. Not saying he will bother with either option, but at worst he is definitely VFL standard which isn't so bad with it being the second strongest league in the country only behind the AFL.

COLLINGWOOD
PICKS: 36, 38, 40, 46, 48, 58, 78, 79.
KEY DEFENDERS: Darcy Moore, Jeremy Howe, Jordan Roughead, Jack Madgen, Mark Keane.
SMALL/MEDIUM DEFENDERS: Jack Crisp, Brayden Maynard, Isaac Quaynor, Trey Ruscoe, John Noble, Callum Brown, Nathan Murphy.
MIDFIELDERS: Scott Pendlebury, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom, Josh Daicos, Patrick Lipinski, Tyler Brown, Trent Bianco, Finlay Macrae, Reef McInnes, Caleb Poulter.
KEY FORWARDS: Brody Mihocek, Nathan Kreuger, Will Kelly, Tom Wilson, Liam McMahon.
SMALL/MEDIUM FORWARDS: Jordan De Goey, Jamie Elliott, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Ollie Henry, Beau McCreery, Jack Ginnivan, Ash Johnson.
RUCKS: Brodie Grundy, Darcy Cameron, Mason Cox.

All avenues have led to Nick Daicos, brother of Josh and son of club legend Peter, as he emerged as a junior star in recent seasons. The Oakleigh Chargers’ midfielder oozes class and just has a knack of finding the football, meaning the Magpies have a player ready to step straight into senior football on their list in 2022. The question is when another club will make a bid for him, with North Melbourne likely to pass and hand the honour of first pick to Jason Horne-Francis. However either the Giants or the Suns are almost certain to make a bid, costing Collingwood much of their draft hand early in the piece. However once that transaction is completed the Magpies have gathered a good stock of picks for the 2022 national draft, which may allow them to trade their way back into the second round of the draft where they could look at a small forward such as Judson Clarke, Jesse Motlop or even Dan Butler if they were still around the draft in the 30s. Otherwise, the club could head to the back end of the draft, where recruiting manager Derek Hine often excels to grab a mature-age Williamstown player such as Charlie Dean or even ex-Cat Blake Schlensog. They will also re-rookie Isaac Chugg.

COLLINGWOOD
PICKS: 36, 38, 40, 46, 48, 58, 78, 79.
KEY DEFENDERS: Darcy Moore, Jeremy Howe, Jordan Roughead, Jack Madgen, Mark Keane.
SMALL/MEDIUM DEFENDERS: Jack Crisp, Brayden Maynard, Isaac Quaynor, Trey Ruscoe, John Noble, Callum Brown, Nathan Murphy.
MIDFIELDERS: Scott Pendlebury, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom, Josh Daicos, Patrick Lipinski, Tyler Brown, Trent Bianco, Finlay Macrae, Reef McInnes, Caleb Poulter.
KEY FORWARDS: Brody Mihocek, Nathan Kreuger, Will Kelly, Tom Wilson, Liam McMahon.
SMALL/MEDIUM FORWARDS: Jordan De Goey, Jamie Elliott, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Ollie Henry, Beau McCreery, Jack Ginnivan, Ash Johnson.
RUCKS: Brodie Grundy, Darcy Cameron, Mason Cox.

All avenues have led to Nick Daicos, brother of Josh and son of club legend Peter, as he emerged as a junior star in recent seasons. The Oakleigh Chargers’ midfielder oozes class and just has a knack of finding the football, meaning the Magpies have a player ready to step straight into senior football on their list in 2022. The question is when another club will make a bid for him, with North Melbourne likely to pass and hand the honour of first pick to Jason Horne-Francis. However either the Giants or the Suns are almost certain to make a bid, costing Collingwood much of their draft hand early in the piece. However once that transaction is completed the Magpies have gathered a good stock of picks for the 2022 national draft, which may allow them to trade their way back into the second round of the draft where they could look at a small forward such as Judson Clarke, Jesse Motlop or even Dan Butler if they were still around the draft in the 30s. Otherwise, the club could head to the back end of the draft, where recruiting manager Derek Hine often excels to grab a mature-age Williamstown player such as Charlie Dean or even ex-Cat Blake Schlensog. They will also re-rookie Isaac Chugg.

I don't personally think that we'll be getting anyone analysts expect. I'm expecting a few steals, an Indigenous player (due to the Do Better report) and another Oakleigh Charger. Sam Banks also looks like a strong choice.

Charlie Dean AND Bake Schelnsog would be the ultimate pair of late selections. Both fit our needs nicely.

Not one mention of Hammelmann in the article ... which means he could be available come the rookies.

Whose future 2nd can we realistically target with pick 36 and 38?

Sounds pretty clear what our strategy is, which is a good change.

We don't need a future second at this draft. It's a second rounder. I'm sure we can deal with that next year. People are so hung up about having a second but that's not going to harm us if we wait until next year to cross that bridge. If we're making deals, it should be with lowly-ranked teams so we can optimise what we get. But the priority is drafting players in this year so we rise, then next season we could make a plan to trade out a player.

Let's say Jordan de Goey, without going into the ethics of him playing or not, does come back. At the end of 2021, Collingwood could decide to trade him therefore netting another selection. Other players may leave and net us picks to use.

My point is we really don't need to worry about a second rounder when next year is still fluid and players will be coming and going. I'm sure Wrighty has a plan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back