List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't need a future second at this draft. It's a second rounder. I'm sure we can deal with that next year. People are so hung up about having a second but that's not going to harm us if we wait until next year to cross that bridge. If we're making deals, it should be with lowly-ranked teams so we can optimise what we get. But the priority is drafting players in this year so we rise, then next season we could make a plan to trade out a player.

Let's say Jordan de Goey, without going into the ethics of him playing or not, does come back. At the end of 2021, Collingwood could decide to trade him therefore netting another selection. Other players may leave and net us picks to use.

My point is we really don't need to worry about a second rounder when next year is still fluid and players will be coming and going. I'm sure Wrighty has a plan.

Prochard was asking who might we trade picks 36 and 38 to, rather than lose them in the Daicos bid.
They were wondering which club with a future 2nd round pick might be interested.
Your reply to him was not relevant to his post at all, as you really do know if you had thought about it a bit more.

Otherwise your post does make perfect sense!
haha

We don't need a future second at this draft. It's a second rounder. I'm sure we can deal with that next year. People are so hung up about having a second but that's not going to harm us if we wait until next year to cross that bridge. If we're making deals, it should be with lowly-ranked teams so we can optimise what we get. But the priority is drafting players in this year so we rise, then next season we could make a plan to trade out a player.

Let's say Jordan de Goey, without going into the ethics of him playing or not, does come back. At the end of 2021, Collingwood could decide to trade him therefore netting another selection. Other players may leave and net us picks to use.

My point is we really don't need to worry about a second rounder when next year is still fluid and players will be coming and going. I'm sure Wrighty has a plan.
Maybe actually use your brain to think and do some research before you post next time.

Whose future 2nd can we realistically target with pick 36 and 38?

Sounds pretty clear what our strategy is, which is a good change.

St Kilda is one obvious target. GWS need points to match a Fahey bid as well. Time will tell, but I'm sure GW has something in the works, perhaps a couple of options both to trade out and then to trade back in at different points depending on how far key prospects on our draft board slip.

St Kilda is one obvious target. GWS need points to match a Fahey bid as well. Time will tell, but I'm sure GW has something in the works, perhaps a couple of options both to trade out and then to trade back in at different points depending on how far key prospects on our draft board slip.
I agree, think St kilda is one of the more likely options.

Hoping for Adelaide’s future second tho.

Maybe actually use your brain to think and do some research before you post next time.
Yeah so the thing is I didn't read your post correctly. Sorry. I have modified it so I'm not actually quoting yours anymore. In your scenario, so many teams want to trade in even someone like Hawthorn could be eager. Essendon is keen but I think they want higher picks. So many clubs are vying for those top 20, 30 selections that afterwards is hard to predict.

Do we really need another small forward? I’d rather more midfielders

Projecting forward the best 22 quality small forwards on our list currently include Ginnivan, McReery and the off contract Elliott @ 29. Two of those guys are still speculative so we need one more at least. Rachelle’s the dream and the type of guy we haven’t had since Didak, but overall I personally think this draft is all about small forwards and midfielders.

Projecting forward the best 22 quality small forwards on our list currently include Ginnivan, McReery and the off contract Elliott @ 29. Two of those guys are still speculative so we need one more at least. Rachelle’s the dream and the type of guy we haven’t had since Didak, but overall I personally think this draft is all about small forwards and midfielders.

Looking at recent premiership teams I’d say small forward is probably the least important role on the ground, you just need a bloke who pressures hard and kicks around a goal a game… wouldn’t spend a high pick on one unless he projects to become a mid or his talent is unreal.

Looking at recent premiership teams I’d say small forward is probably the least important role on the ground, you just need a bloke who pressures hard and kicks around a goal a game… wouldn’t spend a high pick on one unless he projects to become a mid or his talent is unreal.
Hawks had two rippers in Breust and Rioli plus Poppy. Tiges had about 4 solid ones, with a style built around them. Both teams forwards tried to bring it to ground for their small forwards, more than trying to mark pack balls. So I don't understand your first sentence.

Whilst they've been traditionally cheap, their effectiveness in recent years has seen their price go up considerably in recent drafts. .

Hawks had two rippers in Breust and Rioli plus Poppy. Tiges had about 4 solid ones, with a style built around them. Both teams forwards tried to bring it to ground for their small forwards, more than trying to mark pack balls. So I don't understand your first sentence.

Whilst they've been traditionally cheap, their effectiveness in recent years has seen their price go up considerably in recent drafts. .

Breust and poppy were both taken in the rookie draft, Rioli falls into the unreal talent category that I mentioned.

Richmond Melbourne and WB only had role players as small forwards… clearly mods, key defenders, rebounding defenders and key forwards are more important to a team.

I think Melbourne would be stoked with the pick 10 they invested in Pickett.

And who was feeding these players the ball?

Martin, Cotchin, Graham, Prestia, Edwards, etc.
Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, Smith, Burgoyne, etc.

And who was the KPF to take the best defenders?

Roughead and Gunston.
Riewoldt and Lynch.

I would argue that without the mids and KPF's these smalls would struggle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And who was feeding these players the ball?

Martin, Cotchin, Graham, Prestia, Edwards, etc.
Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, Smith, Burgoyne, etc.

And who was the KPF to take the best defenders?

Roughead and Gunston.
Riewoldt and Lynch.

I would argue that without the mids and KPF's these smalls would struggle.

I think mids are undoubtedly the most important. Interestingly though, Martin split his time between mid and small forward in their last two premierships - with more time forward. And the first was one with only Riewoldt. They just desperately (often dodgily) brought it to ground - often with one less flying in the air, and then their smalls did the damage.

Were Roughy and Gunston more important than Cyril, Bruest and Poppy? Together they made a deadly forwardline. Replace either the talls or the smalls with lesser players and it wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective.

I feel that we need to be more specific than meagrely saying "small forward".
Posters are meaning different types when they use the term, I believe.

sr36 for instance has called Dustin Martin a small forward when in the forward line.
This to me meaning that he's not a KPF.

Is this what we all mean by small forward or are some of us thinking a small forward as a fast, tackling, crumber with great goal sense?
And that there are other non-KPF forwards as well?

I feel that we need to be more specific than meagrely saying "small forward".
Posters are meaning different types when they use the term, I believe.

sr36 for instance has called Dustin Martin a small forward when in the forward line.
This to me meaning that he's not a KPF.

Is this what we all mean by small forward or are some of us thinking a small forward as a fast, tackling, crumber with great goal sense?
And that there are other non-KPF forwards as well?
It's always going to be really blurry as guys like Liam Ryan stand on packs. Brisbane often try to isolate Cameron as a kicking target. Adelaide used to do the same with Eddie Betts, etc... And these days they all hit up on leads when appropriate.

But to me it's basically whether the bloke is more dangerous in the air or at ground level and whether theyre more likely to fly in a pack or stay down for the ground ball.

It's always going to be really blurry as guys like Liam Ryan stand on packs. Brisbane often try to isolate Cameron as a kicking target. Adelaide used to do the same with Eddie Betts, etc... And these days they all hit up on leads when appropriate.

But to me it's basically whether the bloke is more dangerous in the air or at ground level and whether theyre more likely to fly in a pack or stay down for the ground ball.
We don't need to look even that far afield Jamie has been a true marking target all his career and no one would call him a KPF.

We don't need to look even that far afield Jamie has been a true marking target all his career and no one would call him a KPF.

You wouldn't call him a small forward though either. In the old days, he probably would have played full forward (like he often does now) and kicked a lot of goals.

PSD is no longer relevant. Anyone taken there could have been a DFA or taken at the end of national draft. We won't take anyone.
It’s relevant for players that delist themselves and aren’t eligible for the DFA

It’s relevant for players that delist themselves and aren’t eligible for the DFA
Yes. It still exists for situations where a trade doesn't occur, as it decreases the power of a club that has a player who wants out who the club would prefer to keep. Without it, the club with the listed player has too dominant a hand. The Players Association would want it to stay. But it rarely gets used.

Last edited:
We don’t have any! Elliott at the end of his career, mccrrey and ginnivan no guarantee to succeed
When you project forward 4 years when kids drafted now should be beginning to really contribute, is there a position for us at the moment that isn't a need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back