List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d be hoping if we could come to some deal with the Suns not to bid with pick 4 in exchange for some of our 40 picks.

Would a bid at pick 5 make a big difference?

No Way that will Happen

So we might be a Chance we might trade back into 1st Round tonight.

Highly Doubt it but never say never
I wouldn't think that would be the plan. But to get back in the top 30 is an option, so 2nd more like it. Only way to get into the 1st is by trading out future 1st

I wouldn't think that would be the plan. But to get back in the top 30 is an option, so 2nd more like it. Only way to get into the 1st is by trading out future 1st

I doubt we will but we did it in last years Draft for Quite Cheap Really

May 7, 2011
Wangaratta
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Tottenham, Oakland Raiders
Don't count your chickens yet, there is no guarantee that Daicos won't go at 1 or 2. GWS are apparently going for a KF in Darcy as a list need because they are stacked with midfielders only to end up with Callahan who is a midfielder? Norf will bid on Daicos because you never give your opposition a sporting chance
Soon see, huh.

(Anything beyond Daics is gravy, anyway).

Lings of Geelong

Debutant
Sep 16, 2021
Wollongong
AFL Club
Collingwood
As it stands, we've traded Lynch and a F2 for Lipinski, Kreuger and 3 x F3, whilst gaining 198 points in this year's draft. Hopefully there's a bit more to come tonight!

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
As it stands, we've traded Lynch and a F2 for Lipinski, Kreuger and 3 x F3, whilst gaining 198 points in this year's draft. Hopefully there's a bit more to come tonight!

Forget all the manoeuvring to land Daicos that was a formality. The bolded two moves are the heart of everything we’ve done in 2021 because the rest of your post is shuffling deck chairs on the titanic. If Lipinski can go on to be a best 10 player for us it’ll be worth it because he fills a need in an age bracket we don’t have cover in, but if he flops the whole house of cards will crumble.

FWIW I liked that move and I have faith that he’ll fall somewhere between WHE and Crisp in terms of quality.

Lings of Geelong

Debutant
Sep 16, 2021
Wollongong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Forget all the manoeuvring to land Daicos that was a formality. The bolded two moves are the heart of everything we’ve done in 2021 because the rest of your post is shuffling deck chairs on the titanic. If Lipinski can go on to be a best 10 player for us it’ll be worth it because he fills a need in an age bracket we don’t have cover in, but if he flops the whole house of cards will crumble.

FWIW I liked that move and I have faith that he’ll fall somewhere between WHE and Crisp in terms of quality.
Understand where you're coming from, but I don't think the addition of 3 F3 can be overlooked. Potentially gets a 2nd rounder this year or next, which reduces what was paid for Lipinski if you want to boil things down like that

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Understand where you're coming from, but I don't think the addition of 3 F3 can be overlooked. Potentially gets a 2nd rounder this year or next, which reduces what was paid for Lipinski if you want to boil things down like that

Dangerous word and it needs to be a sellers market when we’ve potentially forgone a top 25 pick in the process. We’re mid rebuild and currently staring down the barrel of two top 25 picks across the 21-22 drafts. That’s not cutting the mustard against the talent stockpiled by GWS, GC, Adelaide, WB and North who all have a bunch of early 1st rounders across the past 5 drafts. It’s not insurmountable of course, but it makes the challenge confronting McRae and co much more difficult.

Daicos went for roughly the number of points we started with, so we haven't really gained Daicos points - we gained pick 45 and 51 - two current thirds, as well as the players and future thirds you listed. I think it's been good work. Hopefully we can convert some of those future thirds into a nice piece over the next 3 drafts.

Dangerous word and it needs to be a sellers market when we’ve potentially forgone a top 25 pick in the process. We’re mid rebuild and currently staring down the barrel of two top 25 picks across the 21-22 drafts. That’s not cutting the mustard against the talent stockpiled by GWS, GC, Adelaide, WB and North who all have a bunch of early 1st rounders across the past 5 drafts. It’s not insurmountable of course, but it makes the challenge confronting McRae and co much more difficult.

That's not down to this year's trade period, that's last year's draft trading- where we pissed away the advantage of having cheap access to Reef and Daicos.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
That's not down to this year's trade period, that's last year's draft trading- where we pissed away the advantage of having cheap access to Reef and Daicos.

That thinking is more dangerous than expecting we shift a raft of 2022 3rds for Brisbane’s 2022 1st. The focus has to be on extracting everything we can from this group and taking our medicine. Preferably before Daicos comes on which won’t take long…

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
That thinking is more dangerous than expecting we shift a raft of 2022 3rds for Brisbane’s 2022 1st. The focus has to be on extracting everything we can from this group and taking our medicine. Preferably before Daicos comes on which won’t take long…
Tend to agree, we have everything we could reasonably have expected from this trade period already, the 3rds give us trading options coming into the '22 trade period where we can set up scenarios to suit our list, draft hand and ongoing strategy.

Further to this end by taking it to the next draft we have time to get everything set in place with a clear plan which should enable the highest probability of execution.

I'm not sure why you think it's dangerous. I'm pretty much saying what you said - that we had to take our medicine this year, but I do think we added a touch of sugar to it to make it more palatable. We started the trade period without a pick in the top 35 and with points to chase and a couple of cheap players we wanted to trade in. Thus outside of getting Daicos, our hands were always tied and we weren't going to be able to add too much unless we wanted to trade out senior players or our future first.

I agree that a Brisbane first is a long shot. I expect they'll be looking to turn those future thirds into something in the twenties or a couple in the thirties, depending on what they can get or would prefer - either this year or next.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
We’re still dangerously low on top 10 pick talent, really need to aggressively target the 2022 draft because Daicos plus some 3rd rounder kids is not enough to build a premiership team around.

Sep 19, 2011
Zeta Reticuli
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Victory
We’re still dangerously low on top 10 pick talent, really need to aggressively target the 2022 draft because Daicos plus some 3rd rounder kids is not enough to build a premiership team around.

Reckon 5 in the top 30 odd last year was reasonable last year but time will tell.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reckon 5 in the top 30 odd last year was reasonable last year but time will tell.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

there’s a massive difference between a kid rated in the low 20s and someone in that top 5 elite group. Think it’s generous to call McMahon a top 30 pick on talent, I think most clubs would have him a lot lower than that just we wanted to take a tall and there wasn’t much left at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back