List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Freo have bugger all picks this year, their first and a fourth. Might make them more amenable to a deal?
Just saw that. Was hoping they had a late second or third so we could try and work something out with them and Brisbane. Brisbane get points, Freo get Brisbane’s first rounder and we get Logue.

What do you like about McLean?
I haven't seen that much of him, so could be miles off. But the couple of times I've watched them - he's a good size, moves ok, takes the occasional pack mark and seems to react and look for receivable space quickly when a mid gets in the clear. I think he could be a decent stop gap if we draft a talented kid - with the potential to be better than a stop gap.

I get Logue is fringe but he's KPD, so it's hard to know exactly where his trade value sits. I hope we go after him either way.
I wouldn't know him from a bar of soap. KPD value varies enormously - if they intercept and consistently clunk the footy, they're worth a bomb. If they're a solid negater - not much at all. How does he play?

He's out of contract.
That significantly limits their ability to demand anything. Buyers market in this instance.
Also Freo won't have good picks in pre season draft....so that may help whomever trades for him.

Honestly its a late 2nd (or future 2nd) or early 3rd (similar to lipinski).
Especially if he doesn't play in the back half of the year.

Only way out-of-contract works 100% is if we win the spoon and can carry the threat to take him in the PSD as a bargaining chip. We aren’t winning the spoon. Logue was a top 10 draft pick if I remember correctly so I think they’ll expect their pound of flesh.

Logue has been clear he wants to stay at Freo. Although I think Logues future may depend on whether he cements a spot in Freo's 22. If he doesn't I doubt Freo are forking out the kind of contract he could get from rivals and that's gotta be a big motivator to leave. Make hay and all that.

He's a shortish key defender at 193cm but has pulled in a 29 disposal, 11 mark, 6 intercept mark, 17 intercept possession game this season. That's an outstanding return that doesn't happen if you're not a seriously good footballer. Very athletic but injury prone. What I find interesting is he doesn't seem to be trusted by Longmuir and we know what a good coach he is.

I wouldn't know him from a bar of soap. KPD value varies enormously - if they intercept and consistently clunk the footy, they're worth a bomb. If they're a solid negater - not much at all. How does he play?

See my post above. Logue is a fantastic intercept player in the air or on the ground. He'd be a bargain for a second rounder. But a big risk for first rounder with his injury history. Hard to say where to value him.

Only way out-of-contract works 100% is if we win the spoon and can carry the threat to take him in the PSD as a bargaining chip. We aren’t winning the spoon. Logue was a top 10 draft pick if I remember correctly so I think they’ll expect their pound of flesh.
WHE was a former top 5 pick, we got him at the around same age as Logue is, and we had to deal with GWS who hated us at the time after the Treloar and Adams deals.
I’d expect their trade value to be roughly the same.

Just saw that. Was hoping they had a late second or third so we could try and work something out with them and Brisbane. Brisbane get points, Freo get Brisbane’s first rounder and we get Logue.

I checked for similar reasons but moreso that we could claim a 2022 3rd (likely to be late) back and include it in the package to Brisbane, if we happened to give them a 2023 2nd for Logue.

That way we might get Logue AND the first. But no dice.

Whilst this is technically true. I think clubs etc have moved on from trying to stitch each other up (except dodoro).
I don't think where a player was drafted after 6 years in the system has any bearing on their current value.

Thats more than enough time to show what they have.
He's a fringe player in a top 4 team (at present).

PSD is still an option if you're in the first handful of picks (carlton used it a few years ago, despite GC having a pick before them).
Clubs won't jump at a player in the PSD if they don't want to go there.
Stevens is the only example i can recall where a club poached someone in the PSD.
That was 15+ years ago.....times have changed in this space significantly.

The reality is, he will either stay, or get to the club he wants to get to.
But it won't be for "overs" as he is just not a good enough player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Logue even any good? Can’t get a game, fringe player. His Stats aren’t much. Why would we throw $ at him? Sounds like a lipinski deal to me

That's what I'm thinking. I've never really seen him, but Longmuir has seen a lot of him and isn't picking him? Surely we or anybody else aren't paying up big for a 24 year old fringe player. He might be a good value get like Lipinski looks like being, but surely not an expensive get.

That's what I'm thinking. I've never really seen him, but Longmuir has seen a lot of him and isn't picking him? Surely we or anybody else aren't paying up big for a 24 year old fringe player. He might be a good value get like Lipinski looks like being, but surely not an expensive get.
Agree - Longmuir is no slouch, not getting picked is a red flag that discounts his value.

Whilst this is technically true. I think clubs etc have moved on from trying to stitch each other up (except dodoro).
I don't think where a player was drafted after 6 years in the system has any bearing on their current value.

Thats more than enough time to show what they have.
He's a fringe player in a top 4 team (at present).

PSD is still an option if you're in the first handful of picks (carlton used it a few years ago, despite GC having a pick before them).
Clubs won't jump at a player in the PSD if they don't want to go there.
Stevens is the only example i can recall where a club poached someone in the PSD.
That was 15+ years ago.....times have changed in this space significantly.

The reality is, he will either stay, or get to the club he wants to get to.
But it won't be for "overs" as he is just not a good enough player.

Just responding to your suggestion that he was out of contract. I don’t think it changes the dynamic too much. Will make it easier for clubs to move on someone they are inclined to do so with. Will encourage suitors and give players some additional motivation to move if they’re already so inclined. Ultimately, the only way a player can move if his club isn’t cooperative is to enter the draft. Worked for Luke Ball. Who knows with Griffen Logue.

Clubs haven’t usurped another club on a player in the PSD primarily because the quality of player hasn’t made it attractive enough. Can you confidently confirm that if (hypothetically) say Jack Lukosius announced he was going to Melbourne in the PSD that every club with a pick before Melbourne wouldn’t be clearing the decks to snatch him?

I’m not suggesting Logue would attract any significant interest, just responding to your comments about the PSD.

Last edited:
Logue - 24 and only 50 games. That's like Peter Wright/James Aish type value as former first round picks that haven't established themselves after many years. Would only be interested for a 3rd rounder.

We might as well chase Sam Weideman.

Just responding to your suggestion that he was out of contract. I don’t think it changes the dynamic too much. Will make it easier for clubs to move on someone they are inclined to do so with. Will encourage suitors and give players some additional motivation to move if they’re already so inclined. Ultimately, the only way a player can move if his club isn’t cooperative is to enter the draft. Worked for Luke Ball. Who knows with Griffey Logue.

Clubs haven’t usurped another club on a player in the PSD primarily because the quality of player hasn’t made it attractive enough. Can you confidently confirm that if (hypothetically) say Jack Lukosius announced he was going to Melbourne in the PSD that every club with a pick before Melbourne wouldn’t be clearing the decks to snatch him?

I’m not suggesting Logue would attract any significant interest, just responding to your comments about the PSD.
Yup all fair points and we're actually on the same page.

My last comment of "he's not that good" is why no one will go all out in the PSD and its a realistic option for mid range players.
Usually the price on their head is too high for PSD shenanigans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back