Traded Collingwood trade F2, F3, F4 to Gold Coast for #22, 46, 58, 79 & F4

Remove this Banner Ad

Regarding the number of live picks the Pies will take, I'm finding this a llttle hard to read - they need to offload a number of un-contracted players to allow them to take in all the picks they'll need to match for Daics. i anticipate that they may redraft some of the players they drop off - that said, I'd like them to pick up Yousef Dib as an academy selection (hoping he isn't nominated before Pick 43 so we get him for nicks), and there's likely to be a later selection they will have their eyes on - Hine has a reasonable track record of good late selections - I'm curious about the Pick 79 that they received from GCS - maybe it was a junk pick that was thrown in - maybe not!

My assumption is they'll use some in a trade for Lipinksi, potentially try to combine a couple of others in a pick swap with a club that might be willing if they have picks in excess of what they're trying to take.

My assumption is they'll use some in a trade for Lipinksi, potentially try to combine a couple of others in a pick swap with a club that might be willing if they have picks in excess of what they're trying to take.
Maybe on draft night wait for a bid on Daicos and potentially swap pick 22 for the 2022 1st round pick of a Geelong, Brisbane etc which may be a pick 16-18?

Why would Geelong or Brisbane want to downgrade their pick when they know Collingwood are over a barrel?
where are they over a barrel?
They may want to a good pick in this draft. Happens all the time. You should look into it. You may learn something.

According to Leigh Montagna there is daylight between JHF and Daicos now.

North wont bid.

Agree, at least one pick will go to the Doggies - I'd hope nothing more than 55 or 58 - maybe both with a future 4th coming back. Shifting Pick 22 on the night makes sense if Daics doesn't go at 1. Pick 36 may be traded too if he doesn't go until 4.

My comment (if you bother looking back) was why Collingwood has been criticised but the Bulldogs haven't.

The rest was people getting their knickers in a knot and the ensuing back and forths.

Collingwood have been stuffed by the mismanagement of their cap in 2020 forcing them to have a fire sale offloading quality players and future picks for peanuts. The Beams trade was bad at the time, and horrendous in hindsight.

If those guys taken inside the Top-30 all come good, yes it'll go a long way to covering the mess. But keep in mind that in the 20 - 30 range there's a 50% chance that the player selected makes it to more than 60 career games.

The way 2020 was handled hasn't left them with much choice but to trade out of the 2022 draft to cover the Daicos bid, but you'd be hoping that not only is Daicos a genuine gun, but that the strike rate on those 2020 selections makes up for the dearth of picks taken in 2021 for a team that still needs a number of players to come-on. Getting Lipinski and Kreuger on the cheap helps with that.

You’re looking at things over too short a period. Collingwood’s salary cap didn’t just suddenly get out of whack in 2020. It began years earlier - at least pre-2017 and long before Ned Guy arrived. Player contracts span multiple years.

Collingwood’s cap strategy needs to be considered in the context of their 2018 - 2020 achievements. Sure, a few teams did do better over that period with less. The vast majority of teams did worse.

And Collingwood took a gamble that didn’t pay off. Consider when Swans signed Franklin to his mega contract. The Swans took a gamble that the AFL salary cap would continue to balloon year after year. It generally did. Collingwood took a similar gamble, but then Covid hit and instead of the salary cap going up it contracted for the first time in its history.

No doubt Collingwood did screw some things up. Organising a trade of Treloar to GCS without taking him along on the journey was the big one. The public rhetoric around the Treloar and Stephenson trade … all of Buckley, Ed, Guy and Walsh clamouring all over each other to insert their foot in their mouth heavily contributed to the merry mess. The way the club dealt with Treloar’s partner was a major embarrassment (and worthy of an apology that is yet to come)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back