Traded Collingwood trade F2, F3, F4 to Gold Coast for #22, 46, 58, 79 & F4

Remove this Banner Ad

46 and 58 are effectively a middle and late 3rd rounder.

On the surface, would look like the Pies have done well here swapping a second, third and fourth for a second, mid-range third, late third and fourth.

I could be way off though but that’s how I’ve interpreted it when looking at the different draft rounds.

Are Collingwood expecting to delist a few players, because I'm pretty sure the league changed the rules last yr so teams couldn't stockpile picks like the dogs did last year
After the first year of the points system the AFL introduced the rule that the number of draft picks a club can use to match is capped to the number of list spots available so in order to use 5 picks to match we need 5 list spots available. And I don’t believe that has been changed. They have changed the ability to match a bid for NGAs in the top 20s though.

If we do nothing else between and draft night our first 4 picks have enough points to match a #1 pick from North with a pick mid 40s coming back meaning we only need 4 list spots open for the draft as things currently stand. I wouldn’t be surprised if we were planning to leave 1 or 2 list spots open like 2021 for the mid-season draft so I was expecting we’d go in to the draft with 4-5 list spots open anyway.

I think you need them both for your list but i agree talls are a bigger need so hopefully we can get krueger done first.
Without side-tracking the thread., I’m just not a huge fan of Lipinski file.

He reminds me of Brent Prismall while at Geelong. Killed it at VFL level and played really well when played in the AFL but was that due to the fact he was playing in the best midfield group I’ve ever seen. He gets traded to WBD and was just a role player.

Interesting trade, ultimately a win for both I'd say.

Collingwood are intent on bringing in players in the right age bracket via trade, and will obviously add Daicos this year whilst still retaining their first next year which - in fairness to them - is more likely than not to be another top 5 pick.

Gold Coast are effectively building a monster hand at the 2022 draft in exchange for what they likely have very little need for in 2021.

I like it all round.
I think most fair and balanced supporters see it that way.

It is the 1st day of the 2021 trade period so a lot still to play out before 2021 draft, let alone 2022 draft, but pies have achieved their main aim, which is getting points for Nick.

They will use it (it will end up at mid-late 60s) to either re draft one of their delisted players or pick up late kids. Ie match daicos then take 2 kids at the very back of the draft.
Can't help thinking that there's more to it than that - they've got picks in the 90's and beyond for that - they've also got 78 which I assume they'll use.

F**k me this 2020 draft haul better produce some long termers because we've set ourselves up for next to no additions over the next two drafts. We'll get Daicos, and our first rounder next year will be a top end pick, but you'd like a few more darts to throw at the board, that's for sure
It’s basically all in on Daicos. He needs to be worth it as he’s basically your whole talent this year.

[QUOTE="juss, post: 72471808, member: 75392"
It’s basically all in on Daicos. He needs to be worth it as he’s basically your whole talent this year.
[/QUOTE]
I don't see it that way, they've got a lot of flexibility now, their 2022 Round 1 pick is protected, they've got recruits within their target age bracket and they can always trade back into 2022 depending on where Daics goes.

F**k me this 2020 draft haul better produce some long termers because we've set ourselves up for next to no additions over the next two drafts. We'll get Daicos, and our first rounder next year will be a top end pick, but you'd like a few more darts to throw at the board, that's for sure
Agree with this. Generally success is set up with a number of top end picks. Of course not every success but makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Not sure if you have seen the trade, but it will mean this year we will probably get Daicos, Lipinski, Krueger and Dib (part of our academy). Plus possibly more late

If you going to have a go at collingwood, please get the facts right.

Next year draft may look rough but plenty of time until 2022, and we have our 1st next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take this as basically part of the damage control Collingwood is going through. This trade is an each way bet and seen as the safe course to make sure 2022 1st can’t get pushed back.

Before this a lot of posters on our board were hoping our strategy goals were as
follows
1. Get Daics
2. Keep our 2022 1st (likely to be 1-4)
3. Keep our 2021 2nd ( likely to start as 19-23)
4. Have enough currency , probably in the form of future picks to trade for Kreuger and Lipinski.
5. Hope to be able to trade a combination of Cox, Sier, Lynch to obtain enough points to get Daicos and keep out 2022 1st from shifting back.

Today’s trade I think is an admission from Wright that getting the points while achieving 1-4 was too big an ask. GW has taken the each way bet.

Trade 2022 2nd plus other to guarantee the Daics points plus enough to get Lipinski/Kreuger +/- Dib. If Daicos bid comes later use 22 on draft night to trade back into 2022 2nd round

It’s insurance really. Maybe we end up with a pick likely around the 30+ rather than 20+ to ensure our 1st isn’t pushed back. If Daicos goes one and we have traded some picks to get Lipinski and Kreuger then 22 gets burnt for Daicos points.

One thing is for sure we will not be swapping 22 for a player or later multiple picks as that would make our 2022 1st vulnerable again .

Makes Daicos +/- Dib as probably the only
kids we draft in for 2021 amd 2022 looking like an early pick +/- a late 2nd then not much. Will be a slow rebuild.

I take this as basically part of the damage control Collingwood is going through. This trade is an each way bet and seen as the safe course to make sure 2022 1st can’t get pushed back.

Before this a lot of posters on our board were hoping our strategy goals were as
follows
1. Get Daics
4. Have enough currency , probably in the form of future picks to trade for Kreuger and Lipinski.
5. Hope to be able to trade a combination of Cox, Sier, Lynch to obtain enough points to get Daicos and keep out 2022 1st from shifting back.

Today’s trade I think is an admission from Wright that getting the points while achieving 1-4 was too big an ask. GW has taken the each way bet.

Trade 2022 2nd plus other to guarantee the Daics points plus enough to get Lipinski/Kreuger +/- Dib. If Daicos bid comes later use 22 on draft night to trade back into 2022 2nd round

It’s insurance really. Maybe we end up with a pick likely around the 30+ rather than 20+ to ensure our 1st isn’t pushed back. If Daicos goes one and we have traded some picks to get Lipinski and Kreuger then 22 gets burnt for Daicos points.

One thing is for sure we will not be swapping 22 for a player or later multiple picks as that would make our 2022 1st vulnerable again .

kids we draft in for 2021 amd 2022 looking like an early pick +/- a late 2nd then not much. Will be a slow rebuild.
Well said mate, but the Collingwood haters will not read.

I'm worried you believe this. Didn't realise Collingwood were allowed more drafts than they have picks and points?
Not sure what you are saying, the Pies need to formalise the spots on the list so some currently listed players will go, but the pies have got more than enough points to get Daics, I don't expect Lipinski and Kreuger will cost much and Dibs will be a late pick match that if it comes after Pick 43 won't involve any points - that leaves us

follows
1. Get Daics

They acquired pick 79 for a reason - still not sure why, my guess is there's some kids late in the draft that they're interested in.

follows
1. Get Daics

Good info thanks.

follows
1. Get Daics

Good post. Disagree with this statement. We could trade 22 for later multiple picks for example Richmonds picks 40,44 (points very similar to pick 22 and they won't use them this year. 22 would be much better for them) with their 2022 2nd or 3rd coming back. Or we could trade 22 for pick 30, Kreuger and a future 3rd. These trades looks good for us but they might consider 22 to good to refuse.

Not sure what you are saying, the Pies need to formalise the spots on the list so some currently listed players will go, but the pies have got more than enough points to get Daics, I don't expect Lipinski and Kreuger will cost much and Dibs will be a late pick match that if it comes after Pick 43 won't involve any points - that leaves us

They acquired pick 79 for a reason - still not sure why, my guess is there's some kids late in the draft that they're interested in.
suspect its a break glass pick we probably wont use. It depends on how many list spots we have.

suspect its a break glass pick we probably wont use. It depends on how many list spots we have.
they already have 78 for that reason, can't see why they'd need two just in case picks (they've also got 96, 114 etc for that).

they already have 78 for that reason, can't see why they'd need two just in case picks (they've also got 96, 114 etc for that).
I think it was almost an after thought in the trade. GC was not going to use it for sure so they offered it to the Pies. The Pies just shrugged and went with it. Its not worth points, but it may end up a pick in the 50's if teams start to pass.

Good post. Disagree with this statement. We could trade 22 for later multiple picks for example Richmonds picks 40,44 (points very similar to pick 22 and they won't use them this year. 22 would be much better for them) with their 2022 2nd or 3rd coming back. Or we could trade 22 for pick 30, Kreuger and a future 3rd. These trades looks good for us but they might consider 22 to good to refuse.
Won’t split it for combo of later picks. If we did that from a points view would mean we need to clear extra spaces on the list to use them.

The whole point of this move is to ensure Daicos points without pushing 2022 1st back. Kreuger and Lipinski trades have to be done with the swaps we have now or with Lynch swap. Once done we will be close to 2400 points left which is what we will need of Daics is bid on at 1. We will keep 22
until the Daics bid is known and trade it then if we still have a points excess.

This has to be our course of action else today’s trade of 2022 2nd makes no sense.

Won’t split it for combo of later picks. If we did that from a points view would mean we need to clear extra spaces on the list to use them.

The whole point of this move is to ensure Daicos points without pushing 2022 1st back. Kreuger and Lipinski trades have to be done with the swaps we have now or with Lynch swap. Once done we will be close to 2400 points left which is what we will need of Daics is bid on at 1. We will keep 22
until the Daics bid is known and trade it then if we still have a points excess.

This has to be our course of action else today’s trade of 2022 2nd makes no sense.
Agree - getting pick 22 overcomes the risk of a 2022 deficit @ pick 1 and we need to trade it if Daics doesn't go at 1 - I guess they already have a trade lined up, otherwise there's a risk that the GCS trade won't reflect well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back