Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_352

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
CONTINUED FROM PART 1: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/collingwood-trade-talk-2016.1121536/

Can we get back on topic please guys.

Seeing as Blair is in our top 25% of earners would that mean he would get us a 2nd? If so theres Brown and Daicos sorted out with Blair and our 2nd round pick.

If we do end up trading Witts and Cloke which is likely we will need replacements for them. Id like Maric to be that mature depth ruckman but sad to hear that he is cooked? That leaves Minson, Jamar. What about Currie?

A Cloke replacement is harder to source which is kind of in a way we may need to keep him atleast until next year when quality tall forwards will be available. There is Jack but what would Bitchmond want and he is only 18 months younger than Cloke. Who is to say we could be in the same spot 2 years later. Then there is Josh Battle who is highly rated but is only a kid in the draft and you couldn't expect much in his first year. I do see him becoming a nice 3rd tall fwd ala Darling, Stringer, Gunston. The big fish to get is Peter Wright next year.

All the best in retirement to Toovs, Caff and likely to join them. Swanny. :'( How young is our list going to be next year with Toovey, Caff and probably Cloke, Swan, and Witts gone. Would have to be one of the youngest lists in the comp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our best bet for a Cloke replacement is Sam Reid as he becomes a restricted free agent next year. Sydney are likely to want the cap space. Would cost our 2nd pick and something else maybe what we get for Cloke given Ted Richards and Grundy are either finished or close to being. I read a rumour that he was likely to join pies next year (for 2018 season)

Im extremely disappointed with the prospect of trading Cloke. Yes he is getting old, yes he had a shocker of a season, but he is a superstar player who should finish his career a one club player. I fully expect him to turn his form back around next season whether at Collingwood or another club. What is the benefit of trading him? His value has been shot to pieces this year , this is especially evident when names like Sam Reid keep popping up as a replacement!!! FML.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

The more I look at it the more I'd be reluctant to let Cloke go unless there is a suitable replacement lined up and suitable is someone like Sam Reid, not Chris Mayne. I'm not sure there is much out there in the suitable range so I'm starting to think we should keep Clokey and back him in.

Buckley has put it on the agenda that we must play finals for him to keep his job so I can't see him keeping his powder dry for a Wright or Lynch at the end of next year like some are suggesting. Not saying that isn't the plan but we need something now as well as the future.

Anyway back on topic. Riewoldt to the Pies for Cloke and Witts. Perhaps all small soothener from the Tigs and I am all for it.
Can you imagine the smiles when he and Elliott play together :)
Seriously, the guy is maybe a flog but that is Richmond for you. It is not too late to get him in a proper environment. And we get some leadership in the fwd line too.
I was thinking same thing

I think the rumor about Rewoildt it crap but if it was true he would be the perfect player for us. He is a smart forward so he would work very well with Moore, Elliott and Faz.

No way in the world would witts and cloke get it done. I would trade witts, cloke and next years first rounder with a return of a later pick(2nd or 3rd round from the tigers) to bring him in. I would then look at trading Langdon, Frost and Williams. Not because I don't think they can play but I think we have more talented young players who will keep these guys out of the best 22 and I think we could pick up a few 2nd and third rounders. I would then use a combo of these picks and players to get a late first rounder in this draft due to the rule of having atleast 2 first rounders over a 4 year period.

Im confident that we have a future backline but we desperately need to find someone who can support Moore.

As I said I highly doubt Jack is going anywhere but if he is we should move heaven and earth to get him.

We (most) have been bagging Cloke for underperforming for years now, evidence shows he has cost us at crucial times in games, just look back at all the game day threads, how often have we said enough is enough, I just cant see anything changing with him reaching 30 years of age??? time to go my friend while some bunny out there rates him a second round pick still which could yield us a WHE or a S Reid etc... time to move on, its a business now.

I think the rumor about Rewoildt it crap but if it was true he would be the perfect player for us. He is a smart forward so he would work very well with Moore, Elliott and Faz.

No way in the world would witts and cloke get it done. I would trade witts, cloke and next years first rounder with a return of a later pick(2nd or 3rd round from the tigers) to bring him in. I would then look at trading Langdon, Frost and Williams. Not because I don't think they can play but I think we have more talented young players who will keep these guys out of the best 22 and I think we could pick up a few 2nd and third rounders. I would then use a combo of these picks and players to get a late first rounder in this draft due to the rule of having atleast 2 first rounders over a 4 year period.

Im confident that we have a future backline but we desperately need to find someone who can support Moore.

As I said I highly doubt Jack is going anywhere but if he is we should move heaven and earth to get him.
We don't have a first rounder next year that went to GWS!!!!!!

We don't have a first rounder next year that went to GWS!!!!!!
Really? Last time I checked we traded our 2015/16 firsts to GWS, not our 2015/16/17 firsts!

I meant to reply to this the other day. I was using our Henderson discussion from the other day as an example where you argued that a player shouldn't be considered best 22, if that 22 was taking into consideration the likelihood of injuries.

This is what you said:

Then you were arguing that WHE is best 22 because we will have injuries. It was the inconsistency in the argument that got me.

FWIW I agree we are unlikely to improve our injury situation if we continue with the incumbent and don't make changes in the football department over the off season.

I wasn't trying to compare Henderson to the other players.

I must have misinterpreted your position on WHE. Although I disagree he would be best 22.

I agree regarding Bruest. He should be a top priority.

Bucks said on sen we are better than average on soft tissue this year. its the impact injuries you cant control which have hurt.

Im extremely disappointed with the prospect of trading Cloke. Yes he is getting old, yes he had a shocker of a season, but he is a superstar player who should finish his career a one club player. I fully expect him to turn his form back around next season

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

There's that word again.:huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yikes, Witts Cloke and a future first for a second flicked our way, that's probably more htan what we paid for Treloar. No WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY would I pay that much for Riewoldt.

Yikes, Witts Cloke and a future first for a second flicked our way, that's probably more htan what we paid for Treloar. No WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY would I pay that much for Riewoldt.

So 2 players who have spent most of the year in the 2s and a swap of next years first pick for this years 2nd pick from the Tigers. This for one of the best forwards in the game. Seems like a fair deal to me. You trade to try and improve your side. IMO we would definitely be a better side if we were able to pull off a trade like this.

There's that word again.:huh:

Come on mate get some perspective. Im not suggesting he is a current superstar, I am well aware of where he is at.

At the end of the day he is a premiership full forward, Copeland Trophy winner, multiple All Australian full forward, who won our goal kicking 4 years straight. He will go down as a superstar full forward through some great years in the eyes of many pies fans.

What I am saying is why trade him in the twilight of his career for a bag of potato chips? If we were going down that road we should have entertained a trade a few years ago when the possibility of landing someone like a Cameron, Patton, or Lynch for him may have been a legitimate option. If we trade him now for someone like WHE, we leave ourselves without a solid 2nd forward option to Moore. Or for someone like S.Reid we are downgrading.

What is the benefit in trading him now?

Unless he is going to be replaced by someone that makes our team better, let him play out his career in the black and white.

Come on mate get some perspective. Im not suggesting he is a current superstar, I am well aware of where he is at.

At the end of the day he is a premiership full forward, Copeland Trophy winner, multiple All Australian full forward, who won our goal kicking 4 years straight. He will go down as a superstar full forward through some great years in the eyes of many pies fans.

What I am saying is why trade him in the twilight of his career for a bag of potato chips? If we were going down that road we should have entertained a trade a few years ago when the possibility of landing someone like a Cameron, Patton, or Lynch for him may have been a legitimate option. If we trade him now for someone like WHE, we leave ourselves without a solid 2nd forward option to Moore. Or for someone like S.Reid we are downgrading.

Unless he is going to be replaced by someone that makes our team better, let him play out his career in the black and white.

I was in the "move him on" camp not all that long ago but I am coming around to the idea of the best value (subject to reasonable price and a believable committment to a big preseason and running himself ragged in 2017) being him staying on and aiding in Darcy's progress until we can land a big fish for 2018. I also believe this is the way that Collingwood is thinking (as against just spinning it , which is always a possibility).

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out as "Cloke out" is a done deal amongst the media - afl.com.au had a headline last night about him being recalled for his farewell game.

Really? Last time I checked we traded our 2015/16 firsts to GWS, not our 2015/16/17 firsts!
Regardless of what year u want to call the picks, we've traded out two first round picks, two years in a row - so we can't trade our first pick next year, and I think possibly the year after too.

Yeah but we can't actually use our first rounders in a trade unless we trade one in, which means from a trade perspective we have just as much currency right now as we do in 2017 and 2018. Assuming we don't trade any first rounders in, we can't trade any first rounders out again until 2019.

The only option we have would be to trade out players to get a first round pick this year and then trade that pick this year.

I think the only future picks we could trade are 2nd round and up.

CHF

Regardless of what year u want to call the picks, we've traded out two first round picks, two years in a row - so we can't trade our first pick next year, and I think possibly the year after too.
Yeah but we can't actually use our first rounders in a trade unless we trade one in, which means from a trade perspective we have just as much currency right now as we do in 2017 and 2018. Assuming we don't trade any first rounders in, we can't trade any first rounders out again until 2019.
That wasn't really the point, he said we had traded next years pick, which we clearly haven't.

Lots of water to go under the bridge in that regard too, particularly if we manage to trade our way back in to the first round this year.

Bucks said on sen we are better than average on soft tissue this year. its the impact injuries you cant control which have hurt.

On this issue, Bucks and Davoren would make good salesmen I reckon.

On this issue, Bucks and Davoren would make good salesmen I reckon.

I think it's an honest assessment this year. Past years we were crap I agree.
Our players missed many games through uncontrollable circumstances this year.

Schazz - ACL
Ramsay - ACL
Elliott - Back
Reid - Knee
Witts - Finger
Fasolo - Shoulder
Broomhead - Shoulder
Swan - Foot
Sinclair - Concussion
Langdon - Knee/Ankle
Adams - Ankle

I think it's an honest assessment this year. Past years we were crap I agree.
Our players missed many games through uncontrollable circumstances this year.

Schazz - ACL
Ramsay - ACL
Elliott - Back
Reid - Knee
Witts - Finger
Fasolo - Shoulder
Broomhead - Shoulder
Swan - Foot
Sinclair - Concussion
Langdon - Knee/Ankle
Adams - Ankle
Missed one.