List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 part 2 - see Mod Warning p 281

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Chad Cornes, James McDonald, Luke Power, Josh Hunt and Jonathan Giles.

Can you imagine how much worse your floggings would have been early days without those guys? It would have broken you Geelong vs Bears style.

Kaiden Brand anyone?

He's out of contract so he could walk for nothing, but he'd probably cost too much $$$ wise if the rumours that he already has a "big $$$ offer the table from a rival club" are true. Too much risk there to be throwing picks and a decent chunk of $$$ at an unproven player with noted injury concerns imo.

If he's any good wouldn't the Hawks be trying to keep him with Gibson on the verge of retirement.

I call bullshit as that is overs
I call bullshit, not because it's overs, but because why would they offer up Patton when it's known that Freo are actively chasing Lobb and McCarthy, and Patton is contracted and likely has no desire to go to WA, being a Victorian product? The deal makes no sense.

I call bullshit, not because it's overs, but because why would they offer up Patton when it's known that Freo are actively chasing Lobb and McCarthy, and Patton is contracted and likely has no desire to go to WA, being a Victorian product? The deal makes no sense.
According to a Bulldog mate with 'good sources', make of that what you will, the initial deal between the Giants and the Dogs was for Patton and not Boyd. I'm not sure of the actual timelines but Patton was supposedly going to be a Bulldog in 2015 until he did his knee. All bets were off and then the dogs turned their eyes to Boyd.

For all I know, this story and the current one about Patton could be bullshit. Just interesting that his name has been brought up again.

Last edited:
Yeah, surprised to see them named in the best - Daicos had his most productive quarter in the last [ended with 18 mostly very neat disposals]; Brown had a quiet 20 disposals with some decent clearance work when on the ball [I heard he is a bit tired and sore so maybe carrying something?].
Geez. Glad u guys arent doing the recruiting. Deer with no eyes.

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What experienced players do you wish we had retained?

So our matching the Dogs both times we played them (with a depleted team on both occasions) was an illusion or hallucination? We smashed Geelong, defeated West Coast and should have got the Hawks. WE thumped GWS on their home turf kicking an unanswered ten goals at one stage.....but we are way off.

Seriously, some people want to wallow in misery. Our early season form was horrendous but the turnaround in the second half of the year demonstrates we are not far away-and I repeat, we had a another horror run with injury. Bringing in a couple of older players will not be wall papering over any cracks. It will bring some class, poise and experience to a young developing side on the verge of success.
lulz, if someone who's been on the moon for few years without internet access reads this post they will assume we're like on the outskirts of top 4 and need a slight lift to break through...

And then they'd get a tap on the shoulder from me with the sobering reminder that our ladder position and win/loss ratio have been getting uglier by the year.
On the verge of success my arse.

A few on here are having a laugh with that being overs for Fyfe surely? GWS make out like bandits on that one!
Even if it is overs. They forget that GWS can do 2 of those deals and still have rnd 1 pick. Salary cap might be an issue but there is always a way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It could also be a bunch of unthinking people are buying into the Lloyd et al talk back radio Dads Army line that we are topping up to save Bucks job. Eat it, swallow it, accept it without giving it any further thought. This doesn't wash when you look at our list profile and dig into it a bit.

What I could accept as arguments is that we have done poorly getting our vets past 30 and that a big list turn over is detrimental to the team. But that boat has sailed for the present and is something the football department needs to fix in the future. It shouldn't have a bearing on this off seasons approach. Picking up Wells is shrewd list management, and Harvey is still producing. I'm less positive about Mayne but we'll see what pans out there. We aren't selling the farm or ignoring youth by bringing these guys in.
I've outlined the reasons for my displeasure with this direction in the subsequent post.

You're quite welcome to read it and respond, without the "unthinking" tripe.

Even if it is overs. They forget that GWS can do 2 of those deals and still have rnd 1 pick. Salary cap might be an issue but there is always a way.

The salary cap is the kicker unless he's taking 50% of his market value to be part of a dynasty it won't happen. That said the deal is bonkers good for GWS.

With Fyfe they win it in 2017 no ifs buts or maybe's they have 3 first rounders in this draft before they trade Marchbank and people think it's overs? If I were Fremantle I'd be saying that a contracted Fyfe is worth Patton + Pickett + 5 + 7 to GWS.

Even then it doesn't hurt GWS with two first round picks remaining plus Lobb and Cameron up forward!

I'd be stoked to see Wells run in Pies colours for the next couple of years. No doubt in my mind he fills a key need, being a classy outside mid and really clean in delivering the ball inside 50. Makes our midfield and half forward mix a lot more interesting and dangerous as we have a serious lack of options on the outside: Crisp is traditionally an inside mid and has struggled on a wing, Sidebottom is a very good player but not the best field kick so could do with more time forward and Broomhead fits the bill but has barely played in two years.

Yes Wells will be 32 at the start of next season, but he is coming off a really strong year. He's had his best ever season for contested possessions, clearances, tackles, disposal efficiency and second best ever for overall disposals. If the contract length is 2 years + possibly a trigger for a third and we're confident in his injuries not re-occuring it is actually a no-brainer.

Last edited:
The salary cap is the kicker unless he's taking 50% of his market value to be part of a dynasty it won't happen. That said the deal is bonkers good for GWS.

With Fyfe they win it in 2017 no ifs buts or maybe's they have 3 first rounders in this draft before they trade Marchbank and people think it's overs? If I were Fremantle I'd be saying that a contracted Fyfe is worth Patton + Pickett + 5 + 7 to GWS.

Even then it doesn't hurt GWS with two first round picks remaining plus Lobb and Cameron up forward!
Salary cap can be worked with. In relation to that. How long do you think Mummy and Stevie J can go on after 2017?

If he's any good wouldn't the Hawks be trying to keep him with Gibson on the verge of retirement.
They are however after four years, he's pretty disappointed at the little amount of games he's played, I also think the Hawks are more focused on Daniel Howe at this point to be their future full back.

Salary cap can be worked with. In relation to that. How long do you think Mummy and Stevie J can go on after 2017?

I don't think they'll last beyond that point, but I'd be very confident that their wages plus Heaters, Patfull's and Griffin's have already been allocated to the likes of Shiel, Hopper, Cameron, Whitfield, Kelly, Williams and Greene.

The one to watch would be that marketing allowance that was due for Buddy. Say its $500k pa they'd only need to find $400-500 inside the cap to fit him in. I'll put it in the doubtful pile, but getting back to that initial deal if we hadn't traded out this years first I'd give JDG + 7 + 25 in a heartbeat for Fyfe.

Look at the impact Dangerfield had on Geelong. I reckon we have the bones of a better side than them so even with a below average coaching group I'd back us in to be top 4 relevant in 2017 with Fyfe.

With Wells, I'd back him to be available for more games over the next two years than Broomhead, and to be much better than Tim when he plays.

Might as well trade Broomhead now then. He won't go beyond 2017 with us if he's behind Wells (and nor should he).

FWIW they aren't competing for a spot in the best 22. The aim should be to have Wells coming in to take Greenwood's midfield minutes. We then have Greenwood, WHE and Broomhead battling it out for that ground level small forward role behind Fasolo, Elliott and Steele. IMO, with a healthy 2017 Broomhead will leave Greenwood and WHE in the dust.

With Wells, I'd back him to be available for more games over the next two years than Broomhead, and to be much better than Tim when he plays.
I don't think Broomhead has made enough progress over four years at the club. His value isn't high but I think he should be traded. If he pays for Brown and/or Daicos, it's a win. Wells is far better for the moment and I'd prefer to give him the gig instead of Tim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back