List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

EFA.

I have us outside the top 8 as a given. From there we're a bad injury run from the bottom 6 so anything's possible.

For instance if we lose either Moore or Grundy for a large chunk of the season I would be concerned. Lose both and we're buggered...

giphy.gif

Why are some people so hell bent on 2MP? Most teams who won premierships in the past 10 years have not had 2 genuine key forward stars (the obvious exception of Hawthorn 2008, 2013).

Here's a list of the CHF, FF combinations of the past 11 premiers and runners up:

Zaine Corey, Tom Boyd - Lance Franklin, Kurt Tippett
Ryan Schoenmakers, Jarryd Roughead - Jack Darling, Josh Kennedy
Jarryd Roughead, Jack Gunston - Lance Franklin, Kurt Tippett
Lance Franklin, Jarryd Roughead - Chris Mayne, Mathew Pavlich
Sam Reid, Adam Goodes - Lance Franklin, Jarryd Roughead
Tom Hawkins, James Podsiadly - Leigh Brown, Travis Close
Travis Cloke, Chris Dawes - Justin Kositche, Nick Reiwoldt
Cameron Mooney, Tom Hawkins - Justin Kositche, Nick Reiwoldt
Lance Franklin, Jarryd Roughead - Cameron Mooney, Tom Lonergan
Cameron Mooney, Nathan Ablett - Warren Tredrea, Justin Westhoff
Quinten Lynch, Ashley Hansen - Michael O'Loughlin, Barry Hall
Barry Hall, Michael O'Loughlin - Ashley Hansen, Michael Gardiner

Of these, I see maybe 2 combinations (Franklin, Roughead and Franklin Tippett) where more than 1 gun key forward was required and we already have Moore. Time to go to the draft.

Dont like the idea of giving up 2 more 1st rounders for fyfe. That means 4 years without a 1st :/ its to much, especially if things dont go to plan and we dont rise up.

Obviously 1 first is a given. Maybe a steak knives player as well? Thats probably what his worth now.. then again he will probably kick on a fair bit and raise his currency
A crisp steak knife
Not too shabby

I don't rate Patton - needs to produce a consistent season in the seniors. I know injuries haven't been kind to him, but five years into his career, he only kicked more than 3 goals in a game for the first time in round 22 (I will concede that he kicked 6 and 5 in those final two games though). Needs a great season to be worth the punt as not only has he under performed thus far, he's always injured as well.

I think we take our first rounder to the draft, seeing as we have to use a first round pick soon, and there are great talls already as it is. Hayes is the standout, but he's practically another Darcy Moore, whilst that's good, it's not good to have two of the exact same type players in the same team, therefore I wouldn't be disappointed if they looked elsewhere. I like Noah Balta and at 193cm with a few more to grow into a more mobile forward as opposed to Moore, I'm a big fan of.

Double edged sword unfortunately. If he produces that season his asking price skyrockets and we have to opt out. If he doesn't well it starts to raise questions about if he ever will and the asking price gets cloudy. Its Sam Reid mach II, IMO.

I agree though Balta seems ideal to compliment Moore so on the whole if he maintains the rage and is there or thereabouts at our first pick come draft time that would likely be my preference.

Not too fussed about missing on 2MP.

Will watch with interest the development of McLarty and McCarthy in 2017 and hopefully we grab another developing tall in the 1st round of the ND. Then maybe augment with a FA like Reid (assuming he can get back on the park in 2017) if needed.

How/if Cox develops will obviously influence our needs in this area.

Not too fussed about missing on 2MP.

Will watch with interest the development of McLarty and McCarthy in 2017 and hopefully we grab another developing tall in the 1st round of the ND. Then maybe augment with a FA like Reid (assuming he can get back on the park in 2017) if needed.

How/if Cox develops will obviously influence our needs in this area.
Agree, I'm more interested in those players that 2MP and Patton are keeping out of their respective sides....they will be a hell of a lot cheaper and in all likelihood have a heap of untapped talent

Agree, I'm more interested in those players that 2MP and Patton are keeping out of their respective sides....they will be a hell of a lot cheaper and in all likelihood have a heap of untapped talent

Exactly, there'll be another player like Marchbank looking for greener pastures in the 2017 trade period.

EFA.

I have us outside the top 8 as a given. From there we're a bad injury run from the bottom 6 so anything's possible.

For instance if we lose either Moore or Grundy for a large chunk of the season I would be concerned. Lose both and we're buggered...

This is an interesting post.
You allow yourself the excuse of injuries to justify a bottom 6 prediction.
So why criticize other posters citing injuries as a reason for our poor couple of years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As sure as there is life on other planets, Wright will be a Magpie in 2018 !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think your reporter friend may have this one wrong.

Remember the old adage, "Don't listen to a drunk Slobbo".

EDIT: the word drunk is redundant when followed by Slobbo, my mistake.

This is an interesting post.
You allow yourself the excuse of injuries to justify a bottom 6 prediction.
So why criticize other posters citing injuries as a reason for our poor couple of years?

Perhaps its because I don't think we've had the injuries to key players that some think we have had?

In the past few years the only key player we've had miss chunks of time was Reid. Cloke, Pendlebury, Grundy and Swan (whilst he was a key to our results) remained injury free for the major part of the past 3 seasons. We also went through 2016 with the bulk of our midfield playing 20+ games.

Its unfortunate that you so regularly quote me yet don't fully try to grasp my posts first. I do enjoy having a personal stalker though!

Last edited:
Perhaps its because I don't think we've had the injuries to key players that some think we have had?

In the past few years the only key player we've had miss chunks of time was Reid. Cloke, Pendlebury, Grundy and Swan (whilst he was a key to our results) remained injury free for the major part of the past 3 seasons. We also went through 2016 with the bulk of our midfield playing 20+ games.

Its unfortunate that you so regularly quote me yet don't fully try to grasp my posts first. I do enjoy having a personal stalker though!
2015 is an interesting year. We lost 6 games by less than 12 points. If we get over the line in those games we finish equal 2nd/outright 3rd. We win three of those 6 and we make the 8. Not sure how many games Reid played that year, but you could almost argue that had he been fit, he may have helped us limp over the line in some of them.

Why are you so defensive when the inconsistencies in your posts are pointed out.
Surely as a prominent contributor here you should expect such questions to be forthcoming.
Unlike others I don't have a problem with your forthright tone, but the condescension as typified per above is really unnecessary.

You're knowledgeable in many areas of the game and your contribution is valued, but trying to silence people with ridicule is very transparent.

Last edited:
Hypothetical- let's say we chase Fyfe as a FA and are successful. We add another clearance player to our midfield to help out Pendlebury, Treloar and Adams. Outside of other FA's, which quality player would people next target via trade and what will they be prepared to give up?

Hypothetical- let's say we chase Fyfe as a FA and are successful. We add another clearance player to our midfield to help out Pendlebury, Treloar and Adams. Outside of other FA's, which quality player would people next target via trade and what will they be prepared to give up?
Weitering, Jake Lever, Talia, McGovern. I think we'll make the 8 the next two years, under that proviso, I'd give our next 2 first rounders for Weitering. One first and 1 second for Lever, McGovern or Talia.

I would honestly not look to trade in anyone that's going to cost a first rounder in the next two years. The draft is going to be very solid this year and we really need to develop some more top young talent because we have missed out the last two years.

I would honestly not look to trade in anyone that's going to cost a first rounder in the next two years. The draft is going to be very solid this year and we really need to develop some more top young talent because we have missed out the last two years.
Which players would you trade for a proven player that could be a missing piece to our puzzle? Who would that player traded in be? Patton? Cameron?

Which players would you trade for a proven player that could be a missing piece to our puzzle? Who would that player traded in be? Patton? Cameron?
T.Lynch but I think he's out of the question. Hard to see who we could get but I'm still for keeping our first round and developing our own talent and then hitting free agency for needs. Think we are only a couple of players short of contending again.

T.Lynch but I think he's out of the question. Hard to see who we could get but I'm still for keeping our first round and developing our own talent and then hitting free agency for needs. Think we are only a couple of players short of contending again.
I agree. This is why I thought it might be an interesting exercise to see who people think is/are the missing pieces and who would they be willing to let go. I'd like to take a first rounder into the draft, but if we can trade players for a first rounder and put it in the table then in all for looking at it.

I agree. This is why I thought it might be an interesting exercise to see who people think is/are the missing pieces and who would they be willing to let go. I'd like to take a first rounder into the draft, but if we can trade players for a first rounder and put it in the table then in all for looking at it.
Yeah for sure I'm all for more first rounders. Not sure who I'd let go guess we'll see how this season goes first. Going to be interesting trade period seeing as we have more currency this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back