List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been told by a bloke in the industry that a 'used' pick does not mean you have to use in the draft, and the AFL cannot force clubs to draft if they want to trade picks in the same year the pick is live - only a restriction on future picks. This was the AFL's definition on the Danger exemption.

Geelong

2014 - Cockatoo
2015 - Traded to Adel for Danger (USED as Danger came back the other way in the trade)
2016 - Traded to Carl in 2015 for Henderson (unused at it was future pick)
2017 - Traded to Carl for Tuohy (unused as its future pick)
2018 - Must use by either trading for player in return in the SAME year, or use in draft to qualify for two uses in four years.

No way would the AFL had granted permission on the basis that Geelong HAD TO trade back in the first round next year. What if no club wanted to trade their first rounder?

I guess they want to avoid the scenario of clubs trading future pick after future pick infinitely i.e us trading 2017 1st rounder this year, 2018 first rounder next year, without using a pick in the same year.

As for the Lynch scenario, I just used him since he was topic of convo. Hope I haven't confused!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dunno who your mate is, but that flys against everything anyone involved in the AFL has publicly stated and against the definition of the rule itself. The fact that Geelong had to get special permission to trade away their 2017 first is evidence enough that trading away your pick from that year doesn't count as a used pick.

I dunno who your mate is, but that flys against everything anyone involved in the AFL has publicly stated and against the definition of the rule itself. The fact that Geelong had to get special permission to trade away their 2017 first is evidence enough that trading away your pick from that year doesn't count as a used pick.

He's not my mate, just a Twitter convo that I picked up on during trade week. I believe he's from the Triple M commentary team (statistics) who was as bemused as I was at the situation, then did more research and came to the abovementioned conclusion.

You'd think whatever the AFL agreed to with Geelong would set a precedent, and our first round pick is able to be traded away next year for a player.

No doubt we could nab one of GWS academies boys from this year. Highly doubt many get much opportunity given their depth.

I'd be targeting Harry Perryman in a few years time, collingwood supporter

The thing is, Lynch would be ridiculously expansive. He'd cost two firsts minimum. Wright won't come cheap either. His value will depend on his form in 2017.
Another thing is, we have a few QLD'ers on our list. If Smith and Josh Thomas can really break out next year then things will look up for us as far as getting one of Lynch or Wright over the line. If Marsh has a break out year but inevitably seeks a trade he'll have obvious currency too.

Lynch is a 2018 target as he will be a RFA at that point. The big forward out of contract next year is Patton from GWS but I think he is not yet eligible for free agency.

Lynch is a 2018 target as he will be a RFA at that point. The big forward out of contract next year is Patton from GWS but I think he is not yet eligible for free agency.

I just think that Wright is more attainable. even if we do go for Lynch as a FA we won't have Sydney's COLA salary cap and GCS will match anything and then go for a trade. Lynch seems a pipe dream, Wright seems more realistic.

We might even go for something a bit more from left-field. Gunston from the Hawks as they start their rebuild? Who knows.

I'm only having a complete guess as well, but I'm assuming the requirement of using two first round picks in a four year period is a rule in place for unsuccessful teams.

The AFL would be reluctant to let Brisbane continually trade out future first rounders if they are stuck on the bottom of the ladder year after year. Geelong on the other hand made a preliminary final and hence are not considered a basket case or "at risk" of trading away their future.

This is my opinion as to why I think the AFL hasn't come out and specifically said why Geelong was granted permission. It is clear, however, that they couldn't do the trade without the AFL's consent after application.

Hine knew (and stated on a radio interview) that Collingwood could apply to do the same, however, it is not known if we did apply to do so but got knocked back. It'd be harsh, but the reality is that we've missed out on finals for three consecutive years now, so maybe we're considered as a risk.

Again, a complete guess, but it'd be another area where the AFL needn't discriminate and have consistency across the board.

Yes Lynch is a RFA in '18, however if it becomes news 'early' that Lynch won't renew and could walk as a RFA, which is usually known over 12 months out with big name players, then GCS may opt for the trade a year out (next year) to get some currency back.

I'd love to see Darcy as 2nd ruck/fwd (currently J. White) and Lynch play inside 50. It is a dream, but if that doesn't come off, then 2 metre Peter would be the ideal White replacement moving forward, and Darcy stays deep.

The Dunn and White replacements, who I think are both serviceable on current form, will go a long way in determining the success in our next 5-7 years.

Yes Lynch is a RFA in '18, however if it becomes news 'early' that Lynch won't renew and could walk as a RFA, which is usually known over 12 months out with big name players, then GCS may opt for the trade a year out (next year) to get some currency back.

I'd love to see Darcy as 2nd ruck/fwd (currently J. White) and Lynch play inside 50. It is a dream, but if that doesn't come off, then 2 metre Peter would be the ideal White replacement moving forward, and Darcy stays deep.

The Dunn and White replacements, who I think are both serviceable on current form, will go a long way in determining the success in our next 5-7 years.

Yep. And Fyfe is a free agent so we wouldn't need to trade. Lynch and Fyfe. Make it happen Gubby and Hine!

Only free agent I'd really be interested in would be Martin or Breust. Only big trade target I'd want is Lynch, or maybe Wright. I want us to go to the draft with our first pick next year. Fear we're going too far down the old Carlton/Richmond strategy of getting to trade our way to a good list. Trading should be the icing on the cake, not the whole cake, particularly as we move back to undiluted drafts.

I'd also like to approach next year looking at what players that aren't good enough and need to be moved off our list. Think we'll need to turn over another 8-10 players next year.

Clarke from Geelong Delisted any thoughts ?

If he is sound mentally and physically he could be of help in the FWD /Ruck backup dept ?

Clarke from Geelong Delisted any thoughts ?

If he is sound mentally and physically he could be of help in the FWD /Ruck backup dept ?
He is not sound, mentally or physically. Do not want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lynch will be made captain this year. That will go along way in retaining him, i think it will be a hogan situation he will extend his contract there.
However wright would be more gettable as he will be out of contract we might have enough currency to trade! Also signing jackson trengove as FA will solve the KPB.

Lynch will be made captain this year. That will go along way in retaining him, i think it will be a hogan situation he will extend his contract there.
However wright would be more gettable as he will be out of contract we might have enough currency to trade! Also signing jackson trengove as FA will solve the KPB.

I've definitely seen captains walk and request trades, but Lynch's attitude towards JOM said a bit. Maybe the home lure, childhood team or potential success can lure him back? Players have a lot of power, and I don't think salary will be as big an issue as we think, particularly if he accepts the unwritten 20% (Hawks-style paycut) rule to come play for us - IF we're on the success path next year. We've planned space for this reason.

Yes you're right, Jacko and Wright seem much more gettable, and fit within our structure quite well so that will definitely work.

I just can't see GCS letting Lynch go a year after the drama surrounding the O'Meara departure to the Hawks.

I mean yes, I guess if he wants to go and is out of contract, chances are he'll be let go. But I'd imagine it'll cost us 2 first rounders, possibly even more!
And I'd be opposed to trading out 2 first rounders so soon after we did so with Treloar. Was worth it for Treloar as a one off, and would be worth it for Lynch as a one off, but not both together within five years.

Would be a fundamental misunderstanding of where we are as a team and list.

I've definitely seen captains walk and request trades, but Lynch's attitude towards JOM said a bit. Maybe the home lure, childhood team or potential success can lure him back? Players have a lot of power, and I don't think salary will be as big an issue as we think, particularly if he accepts the unwritten 20% (Hawks-style paycut) rule to come play for us - IF we're on the success path next year. We've planned space for this reason.

Yes you're right, Jacko and Wright seem much more gettable, and fit within our structure quite well so that will definitely work.

Why would any player from another club take a big pay cut to play with us the way they would to play at the Hawks? There's no reason they would unless we won the grand final next year.

With our reported cap space I'm hoping it is all about FAs for us next off season. Go to the draft with our top pick (pretty sure we have to) and forget about trying to trade for anything decent. Need to hit the draft which is meant to be pretty good for KP prospects.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With our reported cap space I'm hoping it is all about FAs for us next off season. Go to the draft with our top pick (pretty sure we have to) and forget about trying to trade for anything decent. Need to hit the draft which is meant to be pretty good for KP prospects.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Exactly right. We'll no doubt have a top 10 pick next year, pick the best KPP and then hit up someone from FA. Will take us back up the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back