List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2005
Lexus Centre
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Why would any player from another club take a big pay cut to play with us the way they would to play at the Hawks? There's no reason they would unless we won the grand final next year.

That's why I put IF in capital letters with my previous post. I think the AFL is about to enter a period of rebirth, where a new wave of clubs are about to enter successful periods. GWS is the obvious one, but they're not as attractive as some other clubs emerging. This is where I hope players see value in us, IF we make some serious tracks up the ladder in 2017 that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lynch will be made captain this year. That will go along way in retaining him, i think it will be a hogan situation he will extend his contract there.
However wright would be more gettable as he will be out of contract we might have enough currency to trade! Also signing jackson trengove as FA will solve the KPB.

Captain huh ...like Gibbs Deledio Mitchell and Rockliff?

Daicos Daze

Team Captain
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I take the chance on Mitch Clark and J Shultz for
Hard body experience
They can both play in backline as well

DAWESOME!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Canu plz post the article
Dept. Trade
AFL admits to making a mistake in the massive trade which sent Jaeger O’Meara to Hawthorn
e5b34107a511d81bcae89b09cf81669e

SAM LANDSBERGER, Herald Sun
October 25, 2016 7:00pm
Subscriber only
e5b34107a511d81bcae89b09cf81669e

THE AFL has admitted to making a blunder in this year’s biggest trade — Jaeger O’Meara to Hawthorn.

Confusion surrounded the blockbuster deal until the AFL clarified on Tuesday that the Hawks had been allowed to part with their first two selections in next year’s draft.

AFL rules state that once a club trades its future first-round pick, it cannot trade any additional future picks.

SCROLL DOWN TO READ THE FULL TIMELINE OF THE O’MEARA DEAL

The week before the O’Meara trade, Hawthorn sent its future first-round selection to St Kilda in a deal that also raised eyebrows.

But the league told the Herald Sun it had “interpreted” its own rule to mean the O’Meara deal was legal.

The AFL said Hawthorn was permitted to trade its future second-round selection, so long as it first acquired another club’s future second-rounder.

1027425409bae89284793da94c238d35

Jaeger O'Meara had a long wait to get to Hawthorn. Picture: Getty Images
Moments before the O’Meara deal was lodged, Hawthorn secured Greater Western Sydney’s future second-round pick, courtesy of a trade with Carlton.

Under the league’s interpretation, that allowed Hawthorn to trade its own future second-rounder to the Suns as long as it held onto the Giants’.

The AFL’s interpretation allowed he Hawks to pull an ace when they appeared snookered on O’Meara entering the final day of trade period.

Compounding the mess, the official paperwork distributed by the AFL after Thursday’s deadline incorrectly stated that the Hawks had on-traded the Giants’ future second-rounder and kept their own.

EVERY CLUB: AFL TRADES 2016 REPORT CARD

O’MEARA DEAL: HAWKS FINALLY GET THEIR MAN

That outcome would have fitted neatly with the wording of the AFL rule.

But the Suns and Hawks both believed that Hawthorn’s future second-rounder was part of the O’Meara trade — and the AFL confirmed that on Tuesday.

O’Meara was one of eight deals lodged in the frantic final 16 minutes of trade period, with several processed after the 2pm deadline.

The O’Meara bungle adds to what some clubs have already labelled the “dodgiest” trade period yet.

It began with Hawthorn publishing a statement declaring free agent Tyrone Vickery had accepted a three-year deal, only for that to be deleted and quickly replaced with a statement saying it was two years.

Sources close to Vickery told the Herald Sun before the deal was done he was expecting to stay at Waverley for at least three years.

9638bd3640f9b2388642fd305fc2196a

Tyrone Vickery’s move to Hawthorn raised eyebrows. Picture: Getty Images
The Hawks were routinely quizzed by the AFL and rivals wondered whether Vickery’s contract was structured to help Richmond land a better compensation pick.

Geelong recruiter Stephen Wells then admitted he was unaware the Cats could trade their future-round pick to secure Blue Zach Tuohy.

Geelong had already traded its first pick in 2015 and 2016 — to secure Patrick Dangerfield and Lachie Henderson — and AFL rules state clubs must use two first-round picks in every rolling four-year period.

Recruiters across the country believed that meant the Cats had to keep their first pick in 2017.

Instead, the AFL decided Geelong could punt its top 2017 pick, so long as it uses two in the next two years.

“I must admit, there was a perception here myself that a deal like this couldn’t be done, but we did check with the AFL,” Wells said.

The Herald Sun reported on Saturday that clubs were left “bewildered” by the guaranteed draft windfall for St Kilda in its pick swap with Hawthorn and were surprised at Carlton’s generosity in brokering the O’Meara deal.

The Blues gave Hawthorn the Giants’ future pick — which will fall between 19-36 — in exchange for picks 48, 66 and 70 on November 25.

ba673fa7b84762c1c87667e6f6c2e89e

Geelong cleared its deal for Zach Tuohy with the AFL. Picture: Getty Images
Hawthorn will enter this year’s draft at pick 88 and next year’s draft at the Giants’ second pick, but was thrilled to land O’Meara, Vickery and Tom Mitchell.

THE AFL’S RULE

“Should a club trade its future first round selection, it may not trade any other future selection for that same draft.”

WHAT HAPPENED

— Hawthorn traded its future first-round selection to St Kilda on October 14

— AFL paperwork after trade period stated Hawthorn on-traded Greater Western Sydney’s future second-round selection to Gold Coast in O’Meara deal

— Hawthorn and Gold Coast informed supporters that the deal instead involved the Hawks’ future second-round selection

— AFL yesterday said its paperwork was wrong, and Hawks traded their own future second-round selection to Gold Coast, as the clubs stated

AFL’S EXPLANATION

“They traded in the GWS future round two selection first, which meant they had a selection in the round that they could trade out, and they elected to trade out their selection, and keep the GWS selection.

“The AFL has interpreted the rule as that they had to retain a round two and round three selection, after trading out round one, so they had to trade in a round two before they were allowed to trade out a round two.”

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Corruption or incompetence, you decide.
If it was Collingwood, somehow it would be interpreted by the media as BOTH incompetence and corruption.

Hawthorn? Just a Free kick, that's all

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
As usual, they make it up as they go along to suit their agenda.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I take the chance on Mitch Clark and J Shultz for
Hard body experience
They can both play in backline as well
Is that some sort of joke or something?
I don't think we got rid of Frost, and didn't match Browns bid, to then go and get two washed up old key forwards to man the CHB and FB posts mate.
Wake up

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think you need a refresher on who the club captains are.

I think you need to think more broadly about what my point was. Admittedly it was a fraction cryptic for lesser intellects. Club leaders change clubs all the time. You should never use captaincy as a lure to make a player stay. And it doesn't work anyway as the off season with these four players has demonstrated.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
This is the deal that stinks to me. Something very fishy about this. carlton better not apply for a priority pick next year and have it granted, when they traded out a 2nd rounder. Smells like a Fitzpatrick "smoothover".

"carlton gave Hawthorn the Giants’ future pick — which will fall between 19-36 — in exchange for picks 48, 66 and 70 on November 25"

Kilmo

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
After Geelong used its future first for next year in this trade period there are ways around the rules..

Geelong last year used there 2015 on Danger, Future 2016 on Henderson and this year used there future 2017 on Tuohey
Which was a terrible idea IMO. Paints them into a corner next year.

They need to trade in a first round draft pick next year or else. What happens if clubs go, "OK, great, you can have our first pick - we want Dangerfield"?
It weakens their bargaining power significantly.

That is, only if the penalty for breaking the rules is significant. As we've seen with Hawthorn breaking the rules this year, the penalty seems to be non-existent, although they weren't quite so blatant.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
I dont see Tom Lynch as gettable, will be named captain and will be there Matthew Pavlich.

Steven May and Peter Wright should be the targets, aim for both, give up the extra currency that it takes to get them. Them 2 together give us way more than Lynch by himself.

I dont see Tom Lynch as gettable, will be named captain and will be there Matthew Pavlich.

Steven May and Peter Wright should be the targets, aim for both, give up the extra currency that it takes to get them. Them 2 together give us way more than Lynch by himself.
GC got the shits on this year when they had Prestia and JOM walk out on them and became incredibly difficult to deal with for Richmond and Hawthorn.

How do you suggest that we could possibly manage to poach their bookends without making them furious and impossible to deal with? We might get 1. 2 is a pipe dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back