Universal Love Collingwood TV Pre-Season Weekly TV Show "The Grind"

Remove this Banner Ad

That is the impression I got also JB.

Just my opinion but I think he needs to reavaluate his position in a football team.

He might come from football royalty but that doesn't mean he has to aspire to become that.

No harm in having a career like Crisp, Tarkyn, Licuria...........e.t.c

Licca and Lockyer is seen as a Very Good Player for us that had Limited Talent

Licca and Lockyer is seen as a Very Good Player for us that had Limited Talent

Exactly Dave I think he & us put too much pressure on players to become something that they will not.

Coming to a compromise is hard to do as an individual.

I really hope he has a career at the Pies like three I mentioned.

This weeks episode was different. Fantastic to see Cloke back at the club, showing off his baby daughter. I've been critical of the big lug in the past, well mainly critical of his even bigger lug of a father, but Trav's heart has always been with the Pies. The club made him welcome, terrific stuff.

And Aish - making all the right noises, but its his last chance and he knows it. I felt a bit sorry for him too, fessing up about hating those games when he walks off at the end, knowing he hasnt played well.
Trav has "Tired first time Dad" face. I recognise it because I see the same face in the mirror every day.

Trav has "Tired first time Dad" face. I recognise it because I see the same face in the mirror every day.

Congrats Jasper84 good feeling to have.....not good look but great feeling. :)

Exactly Dave I think he & us put too much pressure on players to become something that they will not.

Coming to a compromise is hard to do as an individual.

I really hope he has a career at the Pies like three I mentioned.

The High Draft Pick has probably made Me and Other Rate him Higher then what he Actually Is.

Good, because the first few players below him are also very good, it's after that that we start to drop off :p

Sounds like the Problem we had in late 90's had some Extremely Good top 3-5 Players but Talent Badly fell off from There

That is the impression I got also JB.

Just my opinion but I think he needs to reavaluate his position in a football team.

He might come from football royalty but that doesn't mean he has to aspire to become that.

No harm in having a career like Crisp, Tarkyn, Licuria...........e.t.c

I reckon that Aish would be happy to play any regular part in a senior footy team, but he seems to be scratching his head as much as we are about how that might happen. Even second-stringers like Licuria and Crisp had/have obvious assets to work with. Aish looks lost on the football field, and he sounds a bit lost as well.

As Aish himself notes, it's definitely a big season coming up.

Sounds like the Problem we had in late 90's had some Extremely Good top 3-5 Players but Talent Badly fell off from There
I disagree a little here Dave.

I think our list overall is very good for medium level talent.

You are right there's only a few elite types.

After that we have a few more A grade types.

Some potential types to those levels.

Then a lot of medium level talent. So in our side our bottom 6 is still fine medium level talent wise.

Just we need an injection of A grade talent and young ones to go up notches.

Maybe Moore, De Goey, Maynard and quite a few others jump up?

Maybe players like Aish, Broomhead, develop and jump higher....

Maybe the real young ones get there quickly like Stephenson, Murphy....

Maybe Sier shows talent not yet seen....

It's all of that which will determine how much we improve.

Ofcourse that's a whole lot of maybes, but life is made up of maybes...

Then we'll see where we are at.

Fingers crossed.

Then a lot of medium level talent. So in our side our bottom 6 is still fine medium level talent wise.

Fingers crossed.

I was more saying about the late 90's Team then what it is Now.

This list has more Potential then the late 90's Teams Had

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was more saying about the late 90's Team then what it is Now.

This list has more Potential then the late 90's Teams Had
Fair point

Fingers crossed.

The problem I see is that if you split up the list and rated them out of 10 - which is in itself a flawed measurement I acknowledge - and consider 9~10/10 as 'elite', 8/10 as exceptional, 7 as good quality and 5~6 as journeyman, we have almost none in that 7~8 bracket. We have enough 9's and 10's to mix it with the best, and our depth of 5~6s is good, better than most clubs in some areas (such as midfield & medium defenders). It's just that those 7's and 8's are the real core of a Premiership side. The 8 or so players who produce football above the standard of their pay-level, who don't win you games off their own boot but consistently perform week-by-week so that your 'star' players can take all of their credit. I'd go as far as to say the only ones in this bracket are Grundy, WHE and Adams.

Ideally Adams and Grundy push into that next bracket this season, whilst a sizeable number of: Aish, De Goey, Langdon, Scharenberg, Crisp, Broomhead, Moore, Maynard and Cox push into this group (if not beyond in De Goey's case). FWIW I'd have Varcoe and Greenwood as other potential candidates here with a full season, but age is probably a limiting factor for them.

The problem I see is that if you split up the list and rated them out of 10 - which is in itself a flawed measurement I acknowledge - and consider 9~10/10 as 'elite', 8/10 as exceptional, 7 as good quality and 5~6 as journeyman, we have almost none in that 7~8 bracket. We have enough 9's and 10's to mix it with the best, and our depth of 5~6s is good, better than most clubs in some areas (such as midfield & medium defenders). It's just that those 7's and 8's are the real core of a Premiership side. The 8 or so players who produce football above the standard of their pay-level, who don't win you games off their own boot but consistently perform week-by-week so that your 'star' players can take all of their credit. I'd go as far as to say the only ones in this bracket are Grundy, WHE and Adams.

Ideally Adams and Grundy push into that next bracket this season, whilst a sizeable number of: Aish, De Goey, Langdon, Scharenberg, Crisp, Broomhead, Moore, Maynard and Cox push into this group (if not beyond in De Goey's case). FWIW I'd have Varcoe and Greenwood as other potential candidates here with a full season, but age is probably a limiting factor for them.
Very good summation.

Some thoughts on that last episode:

* great to see Clokey back at the club and looking happy (this has Maxwell's fingerprints all over it imho and it's a great thing).

* Clokey better keep an eye on his missus around Jamie.....haha

* loved how they brought the parents in....great move and a very interesting insight.

* Aish looks so unsure of himself....he's such a sweet guy. I hope he gets off to a flyer and finds his feet this year.

* the segment with Treloar made me teary. Such a tragedy for that young fella and I thought Adam was magnificent and I truly believe what he said. He will be there for that kid.

* I'm glad that Adam has worked out that he has over trained in the past and that the club has realised this an tailored his pre-season accordingly. In for a big year I reckon.

Go Pies!

Some thoughts on that last episode:

* great to see Clokey back at the club and looking happy (this has Maxwell's fingerprints all over it imho and it's a great thing).

I got the impression he was sniffing around for a job! :p

I dunno what role he could play in a club (certainly not goal kicking coach) but liked the idea of him working with kids at TAC level.

I'd imagine it's likely that the club will give him life membership at the upcoming AGM.

* Clokey better keep an eye on his missus around Jamie.....haha

Indeed!

* loved how they brought the parents in....great move and a very interesting insight.

I think all clubs do that, it might even be an AFL / AFLPA sanctioned thing.

* Aish looks so unsure of himself....he's such a sweet guy. I hope he gets off to a flyer and finds his feet this year.

He said in the interview something along the lines of "... a lot of other lads are in much the same position". That comment could have been taken to mean "a lot of other lads are coming to the end of their contract" or it could have been taken to mean "a lot of other lads are playing the same position on the field". I took it to mean the latter.

* the segment with Treloar made me teary. Such a tragedy for that young fella and I thought Adam was magnificent and I truly believe what he said. He will be there for that kid.

Over the time I've been following Treloar he seems to be a very straightforward guy. He keeps life very simple. He lives in the moment. I believe he was being very sincere in that interview, because his attitude to life allows him to say the things he said and mean it. Nothing wrong with any of that, but it can be limiting. I had originally thought that he would be a strong candidate for captain one day, but I've gone full turn on that and think that he'll probably end up being in the leadership group in the way Travis Cloke once was. He's going through a few life changes at the moment after a tough year (ref: Copeland speech) so maybe he's going through a period of maturing.

That comment could have been taken to mean "a lot of other lads are coming to the end of their contract" or it could have been taken to mean "a lot of other lads are playing the same position on the field". I took it to mean the latter.
I took it to mean the former. Funny how we can take the same statement and interpret its meaning so differently. I guess that's how the media is able to produce so many rubbish stories.

Over the time I've been following Treloar he seems to be a very straightforward guy. He keeps life very simple. He lives in the moment. I believe he was being very sincere in that interview, because his attitude to life allows him to say the things he said and mean it. Nothing wrong with any of that, but it can be limiting. I had originally thought that he would be a strong candidate for captain one day, but I've gone full turn on that and think that he'll probably end up being in the leadership group in the way Travis Cloke once was. He's going through a few life changes at the moment after a tough year (ref: Copeland speech) so maybe he's going through a period of maturing.

Could be a decent Captain if we need some on-field (or even off-field) inspiration but yeah, probably not otherwise. We have enough candidates between Steele/Adams/Howe/Moore to keep us covered though. FWIW I thought the same of Pendlebury when he was still ~22, and Christ has he improved! So there's always hope.

Could be a decent Captain if we need some on-field (or even off-field) inspiration but yeah, probably not otherwise. We have enough candidates between Steele/Adams/Howe/Moore to keep us covered though. FWIW I thought the same of Pendlebury when he was still ~22, and Christ has he improved! So there's always hope.
I find the captaincy thing just evolves.
The next cab off the rank is sort of obvious when the time comes.
At most maybe another year might be a wait.

I must say I reckon we've played our best footy under Sidebottom as captain. I'm not sure if that's a coincidence or if the team just responds to him. I know it's rumoured he enjoys himself off field but if true it's never stopped his performances on it. Or his effort at training. In a way I reckon he's the spiritual captain of the side.

I must say I reckon we've played our best footy under Sidebottom as captain. I'm not sure if that's a coincidence or if the team just responds to him. I know it's rumoured he enjoys himself off field but if true it's never stopped his performances on it. Or his effort at training. In a way I reckon he's the spiritual captain of the side.

Never Heard that Steele was maybe bit of a Rat Pack off-field

I still think Pendlebury is an exceptional Captain and at this stage there's no reason to remove him. As a few have mentioned, I think in a year or two he'll probably want to focus on his own game and step down, Steele might get 2 to 3 Seasons then. I've been quite pleasantly surprised at Steele's evolution as a leader though I must say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back