Game Day Collingwood v Brisbane 7.40pm AEDT (1953 in Brisbane)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thomas was good especially early

WHE we dont really have a replacement for until either the kids are ready or we go tall with Cameron
Thomas played a good first quarter then disappeared.
Any other player on the list is a replacement for WHE. The worst they could be is as bad as WHE. He's a soft limp inanimate carbon object! Time to find out what others can do.

I don't need to watch many games to know he'll never be up to it. And if he can't kick left foot when the pressure is on what's the ******* point? He had enough time and space. It was pathetic.

if you watched more games you’d know he can kick both feet and you wouldn’t have made that comment- you were suggesting he is a one sided player which is wrong.

Very happy with Sier tonight, best game from him for 2 years.
Very disappointed with Tyler Brown, seems to have lost confidence, kicking and decision making have regressed
WHE and Callum not offering anything and need to go back to the vfl
Thomas started like a bomb, faded. Not sure if his heart is still in the game much, thou has smarts at least
Agreed, but WHE has played 3 games that he hasn't earnt. On his pre season form he shouldn't have played in R1.

You have to wonder about a guy getting paid a million when he has total control of the ruck and can only deliver a slight edge in the clearances. Brisbane basically had noone against him and he still wasnt a dominant match-winning player.

You have to wonder about a guy getting paid a million when he has total control of the ruck and can only deliver a slight edge in the clearances. Brisbane basically had noone against him and he still wasnt a dominant match-winning player.
I don't think a ruckman will ever get this much money ever again, not for a long time at least. We seem to be a test case on what a ruckman is worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thomas played a good first quarter then disappeared.
Any other player on the list is a replacement for WHE. The worst they could be is as bad as WHE. He's a soft limp inanimate carbon object! Time to find out what others can do.

Its definitely nearly time for WHE. Is it actually time? Who knows given we are still hanging out for the bloody VFL season to start. No other team would be as affected by the late VFL start than Collingwood due to the long list of 18 and 19 year olds who have never played a game together.

Id leave it at one change at the moment.... C Brown out for somebody... probably McCreery or Ruscoe.

I'd be tempted to hold on to WHE a little while longer until there is a genuine candidate with VFL form to replace him. Cameron the best bet for me... freeing Mihocek up to be the third tall and also making Cox more dangerous. But that does put us at risk of being too top heavy. We have a real dilemma trying to find the best forward six combination whilst also trying to win games. Changes need to be balanced and considered....with a view to the medium term as well as next week. Thats why I'm disappointed Ruscoe was dropped so quickly. WHE has a history of turning his form around quickly, although in recent times we have seen scant evidence of that. So its a dilemma.

Theres no evidence yet that we should throw in the towel, just because we have been beaten by a 2020 Preliminary Finallist by a kick after the siren, and also by a 2020 finalist in round one who kicked the first three goals and won by three goals.

Another year with similar issues. Would be good to see how another coach uses our talent

It needs to be fixed, so many times Grundy had the chance to tap it to our players but it looked like he didn't know where to tap it, other than that Grundy is finding some good form, but the tap outs are becoming embarrassing

I want Cameron, Kelly and Greenwood in next week in place of WHE, C.Brown and Mayne.
I think the neighbours heard me when I saw Brown had claimed the free kick at goal in the dying minutes, ffs we had Cox and Pendles involved in the tackle and neither just grabbed the ball and started walking back in the mark like a leader should've. That's Cox's range, he would've nailed that.
Enough has been said of WHE, I've been a big supporter of Mayne but last night he almost looked a step behind the play. He has enough guts to go all day but has lost a few yards of pace. Brown should stay in VFL until he's consistently amongst the B.O.G for a good 6 weeks or more before he gets another chance.

Gawn is worse he is +56 for tap outs, this season and they are - 5 for stoppage clearances.
It’s a massive misconception that Grundy is worse than other Ruckmen.

I want Cameron, Kelly and Greenwood in next week in place of WHE, C.Brown and Mayne.
I think the neighbours heard me when I saw Brown had claimed the free kick at goal in the dying minutes, ffs we had Cox and Pendles involved in the tackle and neither just grabbed the ball and started walking back in the mark like a leader should've. That's Cox's range, he would've nailed that.
Enough has been said of WHE, I've been a big supporter of Mayne but last night he almost looked a step behind the play. He has enough guts to go all day but has lost a few yards of pace. Brown should stay in VFL until he's consistently amongst the B.O.G for a good 6 weeks or more before he gets another chance.

can we stop with this “claimed” BS - the umpires decide on who takes the kick.
When was it any different?
So give it rest.

Its definitely nearly time for WHE. Is it actually time? Who knows given we are still hanging out for the bloody VFL season to start. No other team would be as affected by the late VFL start than Collingwood due to the long list of 18 and 19 year olds who have never played a game together.

Id leave it at one change at the moment.... C Brown out for somebody... probably McCreery or Ruscoe.

I'd be tempted to hold on to WHE a little while longer until there is a genuine candidate with VFL form to replace him. Cameron the best bet for me... freeing Mihocek up to be the third tall and also making Cox more dangerous. But that does put us at risk of being too top heavy. We have a real dilemma trying to find the best forward six combination whilst also trying to win games. Changes need to be balanced and considered....with a view to the medium term as well as next week. Thats why I'm disappointed Ruscoe was dropped so quickly. WHE has a history of turning his form around quickly, although in recent times we have seen scant evidence of that. So its a dilemma.

Theres no evidence yet that we should throw in the towel, just because we have been beaten by a 2020 Preliminary Finallist by a kick after the siren, and also by a 2020 finalist in round one who kicked the first three goals and won by three goals.
Dropping WHE is not throwing in the towel. His output is less than I would expect from any young draftee.
Besides that, there needs to be consequences for lack of effort and performance. Good teams demand performance and don't accept passengers.

Dropping WHE is not throwing in the towel. His output is less than I would expect from any young draftee.
Besides that, there needs to be consequences for lack of effort and performance. Good teams demand performance and don't accept passengers.

Cant argue with that although still on the fence regarding timing of when we bring these new kids in, given there hasnt been a VFL game since 2019.

We do need to phase out non performers (or at least drop them until their form and confidence returns) but we have a pretty unique set of circumstances with no VFL combined with massive numbers of new players joining the club. That might moderate decisions to compared to a more normal season.

That’s why I said we don’t need to throw in the towel. Bringing two first or second year players to replace both WHE and Cam Brown might be too much at this stage.

Last edited:
Any Collingwood team with Callum Brown, Josh Thomas, Jack Madgen and Will Hoskin-Elliott in it deserves to lose before the ball is even bounced

Yeah, but list decisions from the last few years are killing us.

We'd be so much better with Stephenson. And we missed Treloar's pace. That's to start with. Then the decisions for good mediocre players -- the ones you mentioned -- over talent, I dunno. Surely Stephenson could have been kept if we'd got rid of Greenwood or one or two others?

As much as I want to win. Atleast losses will help a fresh start come easier

Maybe not easier but sooner. I think it's accepted opinion that this will be Nathan's final year of 10. It's clearly time. Time for a fresh start and a complete revamp. Make no mistake it will be tough and this may be a prolonged period of non performance. However its the price the club, and moreso the supporters, will have to pay.

There's an old saying out there - "keep doing what you're doing, keep getting what you get." The club could continue with the current regime however to do so will guarantee middle of the table finishes for the foreseeable future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back