Game Day Collingwood v Brisbane, Marvel, 18 August, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back in the dark days when I could make it to live games every week, when I was fresh-faced and the world was young, we had one great opponent – the Brisbane Lions. They were led by a group of out-of-control pitbulls who needed to be put down: Lethal Leigh Matthews as the coach, who was forgiven because of 1990; Michael “I smashed Alan Richardson into the shadow realm and deserve to be Dennis Banksed” Voss; Jason “most annoying man in the world” Akermanis; Mal “I should have tried when I was at Collingwood” Michael; and many more. They pipped us in 2002. They smashed us in 2003. I thought I’d never forgive them. But 20 years of disappointment and I’ve forgiven the club. The players? Not so much. Voss still needs to be Dennis Banksed, metaphorically at least.

But my relationship to them this week is pragmatic. I actually think we would be better off with them finishing second. They then get two games at the Gabba and take out whoever is sent up there in the first week and the prelim. We then get them in the GF and they show again that they can’t play in Melbourne.

Well, the same goes for Port. They could finish second too and the same goes for their path.

At the same time, I want to make sure the Blues don’t finish top 4. They have to take the long way home and with any luck the attrition drives them into the ground. I hate the fact they’ve turned it around. They’re like the Nazis who escaped to Argentina after World War Two. There is no justice in this world. How dare they escape?!

What that means for us this week is simple though: we’re relying on the other teams to do their jobs properly and help us keep first spot and keep Carlton down. For us: we should aim to win, but we don’t need to be obsessed about winning. That is, if Sidebottom, De Goey, Noble are all sore, there’s no need to play them. Bring them back a week later.

Brisbane will be desperate to win though, and they throw a lot of challenges at us: the elite small forwards, their interceptor Andrews, their mobile tall forwards working way up the ground. There are plenty of challenges.

My take on selection, which is very unlikely given out coaches:

Out: Moore (inj), DeGoey (managed), Noble (managed),

In: Cox, Carmichael or Macrae, Bianco.

Frampton will play permanent back, Cox will help with the ruck since Cameron has been overall disappointing, Carmichael or Macrae to take DeGoey’s place, Bianco to play as the sub and come in on the wing or half-back.

What is likely is that DeGoey and Noble and Sidebottom will play, even with niggles. But that’s just judging on our coaches previous selection policy, which reminds me of the Matilda’s coach, Tony Gustavsonn – is he on the selection committee? Because he clearly believes in driving the best players into the ground. Don’t get me started on that Nigeria game.

Anyway, the Lions will be desperate, we will be a bit beaten up. We’re playing at Marvel so that’s an extra 3 goals to us.

The Washup

The Pies by 3 points as we just scrape over the line and the Lions stumble. We'll put them down like the rabid dogs they used to be, by the skin of our teeth.

You forgot to mention a certain Craig McRae in the first paragraph.

Great write up Fin. I love the inclusion of Carmichael, he could be a bit of difference in the game. Cox I'm not sure about but I would almost rest Cameron, he seems to be impeded, maybe his knee

When Sidebottom returns would we be better suited by him playing off the half forward line and we give Lipinski more prominence through the midfield in his place?

The career of Sidebottom speaks for itself but at 32 is it time for him to be supersede by the younger Lipinski?

For mine I just think a swapping of these two in the pecking order would allow Lipinski more scope to be the best version of himself, while Sidebottom has always looked capable of being a dangerous half forward, it's something I feel we have never really looked to exploit but in the twilight of his career it might be a role that could lessen the load and help extend his time left in the black and white.

When Sidebottom returns would we be better suited by him playing off the half forward line and we give Lipinski more prominence through the midfield in his place?

The career of Sidebottom speaks for itself but at 32 is it time for him to be supersede by the younger Lipinski?

For mine I just think a swapping of these two in the pecking order would allow Lipinski more scope to be the best version of himself, while Sidebottom has always looked capable of being a dangerous half forward, it's something I feel we have never really looked to exploit but in the twilight of his career it might be a role that could lessen the load and help extend his time left in the black and white.

Like the idea but I’d trial it next two games and see how Lipinski does in exiting D50 and making smart decisions being the first kick on rebound as a winger. It’s not something he’s had to do often and definitely something Sidey brings to the team (when his kick doesn’t get smothered that is ;))

If we can combat the tall timber of Daniher and Hipwood we should be in somewhat good shape. Just feels like one of those games where Daniher kicks a bag just because.

Lions have nearly choked the last two games as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s been a while since they met us at our best.

Even this week we’ll be missing N Daicos and Moore. It will be interesting because they have a lot more to gain from the win than us.

Win would mean 100% Finish Top 2 for us

Sidey plays on the wing. Lippa showed how good he can be as inside mid against the Cats.

Sidey as a forward can definitely add something to our mix. WHE on to the wing can assist that.

If we can combat the tall timber of Daniher and Hipwood we should be in somewhat good shape. Just feels like one of those games where Daniher kicks a bag just because.

Lions have nearly choked the last two games as well

Frampton to be in Daniher's back pocket all night, both in defence and in the ruck.

Do we have anyone capable of negating Neale?

Will be even try to tag him?

Despite the Lions possessing many quality players, like a Sicily Neale is still viewed as a driving force behind any success.

In their 2 losses across the last month he's been held to under 20 disposals both times.

We don't tag so it's on Mitchell, Adams and Pendles to go harder for longer on Friday night.

A bit of retro footage to get the juices flowing:

One of the greatest games of all time!

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

The change I most want to see is Cox to replace Cameron. We need to give Cox the chance to play first ruck with back up from Frampton. I just think Cox could be very important in the finals, and after displaying great form in the VFL we need to give him an opportunity before the H&A season.

Do we have anyone capable of negating Neale?

Will we even try to tag him?

Despite the Lions possessing many quality players, like a Sicily Neale is still viewed as a driving force behind any success.

In their 2 losses across the last month he's been held to under 20 disposals both times.
I really wish we’d tag on occasion. I don’t understand why we don’t. Other teams have shut down Nick by tagging, hawks have used it well against us and the dogs on the wkend. It’s a tactic that is under-utilised by us tbh. If you can keep a player like Neale to 20 or less you significantly improve your chances of winning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back