Preview Collingwood v Bulldogs - Round 1, 2021 - Fri @7:50

Remove this Banner Ad

People have suggested he come in for Scott or Dale numerous times, which isn’t how it works. If West comes in then either VDM or McNeil misses out, or we don’t play one of our gun mids.

We need to have 7 defenders in the 22 and Scott & Dale are in that group, even if you don’t agree with their selections (I sure don’t), the reality is that’s where they will be positioned.

We don’t actually know exactly where Dale will spend his time on the ground.

I’m tipping he and VDM will rotate HB/Wing and will even role up to HF at times.
Adding skill and pace along those lines will be important this season.

It seems that may explain the potential positional choices by the coaches.

Imo I think best to wait and see how it all pans out before we pass judgment.

So, selection aside, there is a game tonight.

Keath > Cox
Mihochek < Gardner
Williams > Ruscoe
Dale = Henry
Duryea = Elliot
Scott < WHE
Daniel > Thomas

The Gardner matchup will be key. If he can perform above expectations and keep Mihochek to a goal everyone else just needs to meet their minimum and we should be fine. WHE and Thomas have not been threatening for a while, and Henry shouldn't do too much on debut. As always it only works if our midfield puts on pressure because there's no defending a clean pass from Pendlebury (and Noble/Daicos go alright). De Goey resting forward will be trouble but I reckon with the midfield minutes he won't have as much burst as usual.

Bruce < Roughead
Naughton = Moore
English > Madgen
Wallis = Howe
Hunter < Maynard
Vandermeer < Crisp
McNeil < Quaynor

Not great on paper. Still expecting Hunter to play forward and Smith/Lipinski to take most of the wing time but that could change. English is our greatest mismatch and if he can kick straight could be the difference. Naughton and Moore is a super even contest and could go either way. Wallis will do fine if it gets to ground but Howe could have a dozen intercepts with that matchup. Need our talls to make a good contest of it. Our greatest strength will be our glut of midfielders rotating through there. There will be players lost on the swapover and mismatches created, especially if Bont can find himself on a Quaynor or Crisp, but it all depends on what our midfield plan is. We certainly have the flexibility to try new things is plan A isn't working.

Keath > Cox
Mihochek < Gardner
Williams > Ruscoe
Dale = Henry
Duryea = Elliot
Scott < WHE
Daniel > Thomas

The Gardner matchup will be key. If he can perform above expectations and keep Mihochek to a goal everyone else just needs to meet their minimum and we should be fine. WHE and Thomas have not been threatening for a while, and Henry shouldn't do too much on debut. As always it only works if our midfield puts on pressure because there's no defending a clean pass from Pendlebury (and Noble/Daicos go alright). De Goey resting forward will be trouble but I reckon with the midfield minutes he won't have as much burst as usual.

Bruce < Roughead
Naughton = Moore
English > Madgen
Wallis = Howe
Hunter < Maynard
Vandermeer < Crisp
McNeil < Quaynor

Not great on paper. Still expecting Hunter to play forward and Smith/Lipinski to take most of the wing time but that could change. English is our greatest mismatch and if he can kick straight could be the difference. Naughton and Moore is a super even contest and could go either way. Wallis will do fine if it gets to ground but Howe could have a dozen intercepts with that matchup. Need our talls to make a good contest of it. Our greatest strength will be our glut of midfielders rotating through there. There will be players lost on the swapover and mismatches created, especially if Bont can find himself on a Quaynor or Crisp, but it all depends on what our midfield plan is. We certainly have the flexibility to try new things is plan A isn't working.
Gardner will almost certainly be manning Cox IMO.

Keath > Cox
Mihochek < Gardner
Williams > Ruscoe
Dale = Henry
Duryea = Elliot
Scott < WHE
Daniel > Thomas

Bruce < Roughead
Naughton = Moore
English > Madgen
Wallis = Howe
Hunter < Maynard
Vandermeer < Crisp
McNeil < Quaynor

Interesting analysis. I can't believe Hunter won't be on the Wing, where he plays best. I think Wallis will start in the forward line and Dunks will be on the bench as part of the midfield rotation. Bruce > Roughead when the ball hits the ground. Roughead is crap defending the lead, Bruce > Roughead for leading marks. Roughead = Bruce in contested marking, which means Roughead >= Bruce in contested marking as the defender is only required to spoil. I'm starting to warm to the idea that Bruce may provide a headache for the Pies by exposing the lumbering aspect of Roughead's game. We may see Roughead on English, more than Bruce, in fact.

Interesting analysis. I can't believe Hunter won't be on the Wing, where he plays best. I think Wallis will start in the forward line and Dunks will be on the bench as part of the midfield rotation. Bruce > Roughead when the ball hits the ground. Roughead is crap defending the lead, Bruce > Roughead for leading marks. Roughead = Bruce in contested marking, which means Roughead >= Bruce in contested marking as the defender is only required to spoil. I'm starting to warm to the idea that Bruce may provide a headache for the Pies by exposing the lumbering aspect of Roughead's game. We may see Roughead on English, more than Bruce, in fact.

Roughead will probably sit on the deepest tall forward. I think all 3 of ours can get him mobility wise so if we have space and get it in quick we should get some scoring opportunities against him.

The 3 prong tall forwards makes me slightly concerned about Wallis' effectiveness. He won't get the one on one opportunities deep in forward 50 that he often does really well in.

Thats something I'll keep my eye on this game.

Agree. Cox is a one trick pony who is extremely tall and can grab the ball at its highest point, Gardner is tall enough and can jump and punch. Best match up.

Cox needs to have a body directly on him.

I don't care who you put back, if he's not continually nudged off the drop of the ball he's going to be a serious problem.

Personally I'd put Keath on him because Keath has the intelligence to actually do this. I feel as though Gardiner is just going to try run and jump with Cox which will come undone (unless Cox has a stinker and drops everything).

Good to see JJ dropped. Hasn't had a crack for a long time. Having said that 2 debutants seems unnecessary.

Bev picking a stupidly tall fwd line. Can see the ball being run out easily.

We must be absolutely light on for sm fwds. Would much rather Naughton or Bruce replacing Gardner and a sm fwd picked to apply some fwd pressure.

Hopefullynthey get JJ to study Saad's game from last night. That's the level he's capable of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to go to McG ticket booth to upgrade my brothers kids ticket. we weren’t allowed to get an adult ticket for him to sit with me so I rang McG and they told me to go to the booth so hopefully we don’t run into any hurdles. Super annoyed about the assigned seating but I understand nonetheless.

Ticketek won’t get back to my emails and don’t even bother picking up their phones.
Awful company.

Do we really need to play tall down back? Keath to Cox and Gardner to Mihocek.

I agree

With the other 4, I'm concerned about the mismatches which happen regularly

I see Bevo is a big believer in zoning and running the ball, hopefully this will be the go

I would like to see us man-up a bit more, but that's just me

Cox and J.De Goey worry me

Looking forward to a good day

Go Dogs

Our forward line is tall but Bont and Bruce are good at applying pressure on the backs when the ball turns over. It is really only English who will be the liability. As they sang in the song: two out of three ain't bad...

We might see The Bont or English in the backline

or maybe even Naughton

I think English is the perfect player to push back 50% of the time and help out defence. Excellent reader of the ball, good distributor and often there are ruck sized players who play deep forward. I think English is tailor made to be the swingman from forward to back with a little time in the ruck.

I'm more supportive of English playing this role than Naughton, particularly as English is a better user of the football. English also has had to push back as the ruckman so he's pretty familiar with playing defence.

I agree

With the other 4, I'm concerned about the mismatches which happen regularly

I see Bevo is a big believer in zoning and running the ball, hopefully this will be the go

I would like to see us man-up a bit more, but that's just me

Cox and J.De Goey worry me

Looking forward to a good day

Go Dogs

DeGoey playing mainly mid. Suits us well.

I think English is the perfect player to push back 50% of the time and help out defence. Excellent reader of the ball, good distributor and often there are ruck sized players who play deep forward. I think English is tailor made to be the swingman from forward to back with a little time in the ruck.

I'm more supportive of English playing this role than Naughton, particularly as English is a better user of the football. English also has had to push back as the ruckman so he's pretty familiar with playing defence.

I agree
English is the perfect marking option
The missing element

Remove this Banner Ad

Back