Autopsy Collingwood v Geelong, Rd 1 2019: Disappointing loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing.

Got the ball forward numerous time without taking the opportunities.

Disappointing.

Now we move on to Richmond.

Not unsurprising, we have a horrendous round 1 record and the trend continued. The overhwhelming positive, is that there were no positives except Moore and Elliott, I wouldn’t think one other player won their position, which means the upside is enormous.

We will be far better for the run, the rust was evident and the lack of match fitness in several players was even more evident. We are going to come out and beat Richmond now.

Reminds me of the Sydney game last year... sloppy skills, moist conditions and put to the sword by a first year player (Constable) no less.

Probably not the worst time for a reality check, but with Richmond and WCE in rounds 2 and 3, we are in serious danger of going 0 and 3. Hard to make top four if you start like that.

I usually get over a loss within about 10 minutes. This one leaves a sour taste - it was heartless; it was weak. I'd hate to see these boys in a scrap after how often they pussed out of hard contests tonight; would love to get them strapped up in the off season sparring some genuine killers, nothing better to make some men out of these boys.

I think disappointing is an extremely accurate word to describe tonight.

Kept them in the game with bad kicking in the first half, then got absolutely bullied around the stoppages in the second half.

It was a game of taking your chances, and we failed to do that.

We were rusty and soft. We will get better in many ways, but we need to.

One we wont is the tendency of our midfield to be soft one way runners. Beams unfortunately was a massive overpay because of this tendency. We cant afford that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The was a shitshow of epic proportions, so much collective brain fartery that surely they would have to actively train it to get that good at it. The only positive I can see is that we couldn’t possibly play any worse and that we got it out of the way early on in the season.

Very rusty, poor decision making, poor skills. Treloar caught out a few times letting the ball go over his head, Beams very little impact, Sidey too

Moore was fantastic, and great to see Billy back!

Will have to wait a little longer for that vaunted Billy/JDG/Stevo triumvirate to click

Not the end of the world. Skills were poor, as expected for round 1, and Geelong defend deep which requires you to play a skilful game to win. We also lacked fluency and connection so we failed to move the ball on transition at all. Both of these are pretty round 1 problems that you'd expect to improve.

Positives: Moore, Elliot - great scope to improve the team.
Negatives: Beams - Sorry to say but for me he doesn't complement our mix and still does blind kicks around the body out of packs. I can't believe a senior player can still get away with doing that for any team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back