Review Collingwood v Geelong: Shanks For The Memories

Remove this Banner Ad

I look at it this way..

I think we're better than Richmond.. but there's still quite a bit of confusion.. kinda say.. in-house fighting between the players as to who the generals really are.

We're like a f boy band where everyone looks like they wanna take over the lead vocals.

Damn, it was a disappointing game. But I don't think it's time to panic yet. Geelong structured perfectly to slow us down and we couldn't work around it. At least we got back to being defensively sound.

Even though we have an easier run coming up, I think we will learn a lot about where we sit over the next month.

We kicked 19. 7 last week.
One week doesn't a season make. Think Elliott is the only one on our list who has ever kicked 30+ goals in a season for Collingwood. We seriously lack forward fire power compared to the competition and relying on a few cameo goal kickers to allow us good scoring on the odd occasion won't cut it. We desperately need a forward or two who can kick 40+. Teams essentially don't make finals without that if you look at recent history.

Our skills and missing key players let us down today. Our courage and tenacity was outstanding. We controlled the last 40 minutes of the game and despite constant near misses when kicking for goal (most were literally six inches to the wrong side of the post) we never dropped our heads. The resolve and spirit was commendable. I listened to 3AW and they were very upbeat about our performance. Ling and Richardson both thought we ran all over Geelong in the last quarter and only needed to convert one of our many shots on goal to get some real momentum and cause some panic. It didn't eventuate but anyone who throws up their hands and gives us away based on that performance is kidding themselves.
Great anylis, looking forward to your assessment of Shazz.

So many excuses , injuries yep but doesn't explain the first quarter which was the most hideous quarter of footy we have played in a decade. It was putrid. No injuries then.
Against a side who also had so many missing players.

Skill level was abysmal today.
So slow in decision making. I lost count of how many times we were slow to handball, telegraphing the intention and direction, which saw a cat run into the space between to intercept.
We have based our game on handball this year and the Cats braintrust picked it apart.
Our structures were broken open by smart positioning of the opposition which meant our forward flow was disrupted.
The dissapointing thing there was the lack of a plan B to switch it up and show them something they haven’t seen.
This was a terrible loss as truth be known, the Cats weren’t that good and were open to a half decent team putting them to the sword.

Write the game off.. and look at the big picture.

Get these blokes bloody right.. and f get Lynch.

I don't think Swanny's comment on the footy show was a vlakia that came out of the blue really.. I think Ed had a say in it.. 'The Lynchy comment'.

We should start thinking seriously about the likes of Elliot Fasolo Moore Cox Reid.. can we get anything out of em in terms of trades picks etc. Is the medical staff inadequate.. this department has me all confused.. will a new crop of docs and physios and s**t get these guys up and running for the majority of the yr? Who's in charge down there.. If my memory serves me correctly in our premiership yr we used to treat one injury like it was armegedon re.. in 2018 it's like we expect this s**t to happen every bloody week. It's really pissing me off.

What did Swan say about Lynch? I assume would like him at pies?

I ask you all…
What good is it playing players like Mayne, Crocker etc if all their disposals are going on be in the back half?
These are supposed to be our "forwards"

Lost this game in the box and at selection.

If someone tells me again that Fas isn't doing more than Crocker, Mayne and even your Blair's, I'll spew.

Mayne is playing on the wing.

On what measure do you think Mayne deserves another game next week?
Because of how meaningless touches in the back half?

Show me his numbers forward of centre.

The fact that we used him even off a wing at times was laughable.
His body is shot.

25 touches, good in the clinches. Performed better than Crocker, Stephenson, Brown and plenty more. I'm no huge fan but respect for his effort and role-playing contribution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fasolo really should come in for Crocker. I can't see why it hasn't happened yet.

Don’t let stats deceive you.

Maynes game was atrocious. Barely any of his possessions advanced our position and even worse generally put another teammate directly under the pump.

The king of the hospital handpass.

This Mayne-hate is getting tedious and just plain silly. It's the kind of thing that makes me think, "don't go to Bigfooty for sensible discussion." He was a solid B today. He'll never be a star, but he played better than about 10 of our players.

From the top of the Ponsford it seemed to be a game of two halves:

1st half we let them play with an extra in defence and they were all over our handball and run game.

2nd half we seemed to even up the numbers and get a little more of our style on (mainly Treloar taking it on from memory).

Umpiring seemed really bad, probably just a symptom of our poor effort though.

Surely we can beat the the Saints? Go Pies.

What did Swan say about Lynch? I assume would like him at pies?

It was after our 0-2 start to the season.. it looked set up by Ed.. Swanny gave his lil spill about where we are getting it wrong and how we should go after Lynch.. obviously with Ed right there..

So many excuses , injuries yep but doesn't explain the first quarter which was the most hideous quarter of footy we have played in a decade. It was putrid. No injuries then.
Against a side who also had so many missing players.
Pies were missing

Pendles, Reid, Elliott, Maynard, Langdon, Goldsack, Aish and Greenwood wasn’t available to shut down Selwood.

It was a poor first quarter, but we had the upper hand for the majority of the final 3 quarters...simply couldn’t get the ball between the big sticks.

So many frustrating close misses, which were purely execution.

We had more of the ball, the same inside 50s, we took more marks inside 50...our structure and game plan held up fine.

We were poor around stoppage, and that hurt us with Menegola kicking 3 snap style goals from congestion killing us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back