Game Day Collingwood v GWS Giants - Preliminary Finals — Sat 21 Sep, 4:35PM AEST, MCG

Who will Win?

• Collingwood by 30+ pts

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Collingwood 10-30

Votes: 48 37.2%
  • Collingwood by <10

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • GWS Giants by <10

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • GWS Giants by 10-30

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • GWS Giants by 30+

Votes: 11 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately there is no ideal or fair way to create a new club or franchise in the AFL.
The new venture needs to be competitive and financially viable going forward so it needs to be given a good side as as starting point.
Which is fair enough right? I mean, look at Collingwood’s success recently; GF and PF under Buckley. Kick either way and you’ve got a flag and are in another GF. That’s not because of picks.

Channel 7 have already paid the league the broadcast rights for the AFL - the exclusive rights for the AFL Grand Final are confined to the free-to-air channel, not Foxtel or cable broadcast right holders.
It could be a GWS v Gold Coast grand final for all the AFL cares, they won't receive any more or less monies no matter who plays.
The broadcast monies the AFL choose to distribute are equally allocated to each AFL club irrespective of a teams ratings.
Yes ratings figures received over a season do give negotiating power when tendering for the next tendering of broadcast rights.
The only one who has immediate concerns over participants of the GF and their ratings pull is Channel 7.
There you have it.

Yes, Grundy is a noted diver. Thanks for your input.
I didn't say Grundy was a "noted diver". Very fine and fair player.

But there's no way that little touch in the back could generate that wild flailing of every limb.

I know you're hurting. I know the umps get it wrong at times. Doesn't mean you need to start blaming the umps when it's not the umps.

Enough mate.
I am not here to amuse a pathetic Essendon troll who is here to get the jollys out of baiting losing supporters.
Get a life.
One of the few Pies supporters posting for your benefit I suppose.
GWS played well, Pies had all the advantages going into the game and really shouldn't have let the game slip.
But if you can't see that GWS got the rub of the green with the umpiring today then I can't help you.
Not playing your game anymore. Go and play play with your appendage for further amusement this evening.
Even the Tigers supporters can see we were hard done by.
Funny its just Essendon, Carlton and West Coast supporters baiting, making comments about Mayne crying etc.
Quite pathetic really.

It’s always umpiring decisions.

How about Collingwood didn’t handle the conditions well? It was though the Pies didn’t want to get wet.

How about Giants doing the grind better and busting a gut in the first three quarters? They had no run left at all in towards the end of the fourth, whereas Collingwood seemed to have plenty left in the tank after coasting around in the 3rd qtr when Giants got their lead.

Great Win, the group of guys you assembled deserved the win my team were out played, Yep you are right we have a history something GWS don't, Sydney have history, Brisbane even have a history, West Coast supporters are crazy,Adelaide teams love the game and Fremantle still no wins but WA love footy, and if this was a Tassie team filling a boutique stadium with 24000 week in week out, it would be a great result, but GWS a team created to maybe give better TV deal, really no one cares they had to play crowd noise over a speaker at a home final.

I agree with some of what you said, but disagree vehemently with some as well, GWS was to fill a void, a football void, Sydney is to big for just one team, there is also some history of the game in WS, not a lot, not big but it existed. It is an area that the AFL just cant ignore and it is financially well off enough to go down that avenue, IMO you are better off spending that money on a new team rather than increasing salaries at existing clubs.

Mark my words eventually their will be a third team in Sydney

Why wasn't Grundy just instructed to kick long down the line after a couple of intercepts from his dinky little kicks.

I think GWS may win next week.

Perhaps the week off is not actually a benefit.

Why wasn't Grundy just instructed to kick long down the line after a couple of intercepts from his dinky little kicks.

I think GWS may win next week.

Perhaps the week off is not actually a benefit.
2015 and 2016 were the only two flags won by teams who played all three games.

It’s generally won by a winner from week one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giants clearly outplayed Pies when it mattered. Just frustrating when the final margin is less than a goal and obvious free kicks literally cost you goals and swing momentum.

Well there was the touched Josh Thomas non goal and the Grundy push so they cancel each other out.

2015 and 2016 were the only two flags won by teams who played all three games.

It’s generally won by a winner from week one.

Stats change over time and there are always outliers, i would be interested in how many times either team played in wet slippery conditions, i know GWS did at least once in Canberra, in fact it snowed.

Slowly, slowly step by step we claw our way towards a National competition.
Yep.
But if you look at it realistically there are too many teams in Victoria.
WA or SA may be able to cater for a 3rd team, there should be a team in Tassie and the Gold Coast is a failed experiment that aint gonna work.
You'll never be able to cut or merge the 3 or 4 teams from Victoria though. No-one would allow it.
The talent pool is becoming too thin because of the number of clubs.
The draw is inequitable etc etc.

I just watched it and couldn't see the touch. I'm not saying it wasn't there. I was just curious.
You're kidding right?

It clearly goes sideways because he smothered it.

It’s always umpiring decisions.

How about Collingwood didn’t handle the conditions well? It was though the Pies didn’t want to get wet.

How about Giants doing the grind better and busting a gut in the first three quarters? They had no run left at all in towards the end of the fourth, whereas Collingwood seemed to have plenty left in the tank after coasting around in the 3rd qtr when Giants got their lead.
Agreed.
But in a closely contested low scoring game you cannot dismiss the effect that poor umpiring had on the game.
Hard to regain possession of the ball if they fail to pay obvious free kicks and enable the opposition to keep momentum.

Stats change over time and there are always outliers, i would be interested in how many times either team played in wet slippery conditions, i know GWS did at least once in Canberra, in fact it snowed.
Yes they do. But statistically the week off teams are more likely to win.

Of course there are outliers. I was just responding to you saying the week off isn’t beneficial. Statistically that’s incorrect. That doesn’t mean it ALWAYS produces the winner, but it’s more likely to correlate to it

There is still a limit on how much the media is able to pay for broadcast rights, irrespective of ratings.
Yes. All the points you and the other poster made are valid.

And I know the media landscape has changed dramatically, and FTA isn’t the force it used to be.

But the GF on FTA is still a massive adfest, and the potential to make that truly nationwide would be very much emphasised by the AFL when negotiating the next broadcast deal.

Last edited:
Yes they do. But statistically the week off teams are more likely to win.

Of course there are outliers. I was just responding to you saying the week off isn’t beneficial. Statistically that’s incorrect. That doesn’t mean it ALWAYS produces the winner, but it’s more likely to correlate to it

Yep, i really think it was the conditions yesterday, that is the real stat IMO, GWS have played in wet, slippery, greasy conditions, Collingwood probably haven't and forgot how to play them.

Back