Game Day Collingwood v GWS Giants - Preliminary Finals — Sat 21 Sep, 4:35PM AEST, MCG

Who will Win?

• Collingwood by 30+ pts

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Collingwood 10-30

Votes: 48 37.2%
  • Collingwood by <10

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • GWS Giants by <10

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • GWS Giants by 10-30

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • GWS Giants by 30+

Votes: 11 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are the Pies mafia. Have gone strangely quiet with the exception of the Filth. Where is everyone?

Because you had a few academy blokes? Some of whom would have been top 10 picks?
They would have been swans academy if gws didn't exist or gone into the draft.

This post has some weird reasoning
How long will you vanish if Richmond don't win?

You didn't read this part of the article then? This is exactly what I was saying Vic people just walk straight past the facts and have an alternative footy universe happening.

"Of the 11 Victorian Club companies it appears that seven of them are technically insolvent. These clubs are Fitzroy, Geelong, Footscray, Collingwood, Melbourne, North Melbourne and Richmond," he wrote on August 8, 1986."

I know it's hard to accept that even the Pies were staring down the barrel but staring down the barrel they were!!

And ... yes the licences fees from Brisbane and WCE did save their busted broke miserable arses!

INSOLVENT = can't pay your debts if called due.
Did you read the history that filth already put up...?

Why would it be hard for a Melbourne supporter to accept Collingwood were broke? What a dumb thing to say

The top 6 were very equal - 7th and 8th were just making up the numbers.

s**t, Adelaide nearly made finals and they have been crap for most of the year.
I don’t think the league is getting any more or less equal than previous years.

You didn't read this part of the article then? This is exactly what I was saying Vic people just walk straight past the facts and have an alternative footy universe happening.

"Of the 11 Victorian Club companies it appears that seven of them are technically insolvent. These clubs are Fitzroy, Geelong, Footscray, Collingwood, Melbourne, North Melbourne and Richmond," he wrote on August 8, 1986."

I know it's hard to accept that even the Pies were staring down the barrel but staring down the barrel they were!!

And ... yes the licences fees from Brisbane and WCE did save their busted broke miserable arses!

INSOLVENT = can't pay your debts if called due.

Enouh of this crap.
The registration fees paid by West Coast and Brisbane totalled $8m
If the monies received were equally distubuted amongst the VFL clubs (and they weren't) - each club would have received $666,000 dollars (based on 12 clubs).
There was the small matter of Fitzroy and Sydney at the time - and the AFL underwriting them.

You are also assuming that the licence fees were "paid" out to clubs in the applicable financial year - and they weren't.

So your telling me that Collingwood - who had a debt that year of 3.5 million were able to pay off their debt with $666,000 (which they never received) and be in the black with a year.
The wording 'technically insolvent' is obviously a phrase that you don't understand.
The Pies had a cash flow problem which they were able to trade out of themselves.
They were never bankrupt or placed under administration.
Licence fees or not the Pies did not rely on these monies to survive.

Yep.
But if you look at it realistically there are too many teams in Victoria.
WA or SA may be able to cater for a 3rd team, there should be a team in Tassie and the Gold Coast is a failed experiment that aint gonna work.
You'll never be able to cut or merge the 3 or 4 teams from Victoria though. No-one would allow it.
The talent pool is becoming too thin because of the number of clubs.
The draw is inequitable etc etc.
You could demote the licences to the vfl Nd probabky not impact the league that much

A conversation for another thread

Sad for pendles. But happy for gws.
And enjoyed a cracking prelim.

Yep.
But if you look at it realistically there are too many teams in Victoria.
WA or SA may be able to cater for a 3rd team, there should be a team in Tassie and the Gold Coast is a failed experiment that aint gonna work.
You'll never be able to cut or merge the 3 or 4 teams from Victoria though. No-one would allow it.
The talent pool is becoming too thin because of the number of clubs.
The draw is inequitable etc etc.
As a person who moved to Australia and developed passion for footy I am still amazed how biased towards VFL Melbourne commentators, fans, AFL headquarters is. I would say it's one step forward 2 steps back sometimes towards national competition. It feels like it's a national competition only because VFL would not survive on its own and a need for money coming from national TV rights.

9 teams in Melbourne is beyond joke.

If you want the game to grow, get more money from TV rights, have a bigger talent pool you want to expand AFL - in that aspect starting Suns and GWS was a right decision. How it was done is the issue.

People criticising Suns - do you realise that Suns were created and are run by AFL? If you want to criticise someone go after AFL (VFL). How they set up Suns is laughable. Suns got essentially half of Giants concessions. Can you imagine that Pies would start in NRL dominated region in metal sheds for 8 years while underfunded in every aspect and run by coach, admin who were never in that position before? I listened to McKenna's interviews a couple of times after he was fired. When Suns started he wanted a double number of mature players - not done because of limited resources. After 1st season in 2012, Suns went back to AFL that they are min 800K short in medical/performance dept compared to other teams - not fixed. Even this year Sun are still 1M below soft cap.

More AFL jokes - 3rd party/commercial deals in Melbourne, NGA, players movement rules, fixture.

No doubt the game grows in QLD. More talents will flow from QLD into talent pool.
“There will be 250,000 participants this year (2018) in AFL across Queensland. What’s significant about a quarter of a million people, kids is that 10 years ago, that number was less than 25,000.”

How to fix Suns? Not a rocket science - give them extra picks, extra salary cap to attract quality mature players and resources comparable to the best teams. Once Suns play finals you can take concessions away. Will it happen? Probably not as Eddie and co constantly whinge about unfair advantages Suns get. Let's see what AFL commission will come up with next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happily the non Thomas goal was not a factor. While an honest mistake there would have been controversy over McGuires financial interest in ARC.

Of course there would be no bias but there remains a perceived conflict of interest.

As a person who moved to Australia and developed passion for footy I am still amazed how biased towards VFL Melbourne commentators, fans, AFL headquarters is. I would say it's one step forward 2 steps back sometimes towards national competition. It feels like it's a national competition only because VFL would not survive on its own and a need for money coming from national TV rights.

If you want the game to grow, get more money from TV rights, have a bigger talent pool you want to expand AFL - in that aspect starting Suns and GWS was a right decision. How it was done is the issue.

People criticising Suns - do you realise that Suns were created and are run by AFL? If you want to criticise someone go after AFL (VFL). How they set up Suns is laughable. Suns got essentially half of Giants concessions. Can you imagine that Pies would start in NRL dominated region in metal sheds for 8 years while underfunded in every aspect and run by coach, admin who were never in that position before? I listened to McKenna's interviews a couple of times after he was fired. When Suns started he wanted a double number of mature players - not done because of limited resources. After 1st season in 2012, Suns went back to AFL that they are min 800K short in medical/performance dept compared to other teams - not fixed. Even this year Sun are still 1M below soft cap.

More AFL jokes - 3rd party/commercial deals in Melbourne, NGA, players movement rules, fixture.

No doubt the game grows in QLD. More talents will flow from QLD into talent pool.
“There will be 250,000 participants this year (2018) in AFL across Queensland. What’s significant about a quarter of a million people, kids is that 10 years ago, that number was less than 25,000.”

How to fix Suns? Not a rocket science - give them extra picks, extra salary cap to attract quality mature players and resources comparable to the best teams. Once Suns play finals you can take concessions away. Will it happen? Probably not as Eddie and co constantly whinge about unfair advantages Suns get. Let's see what AFL commission will come up with next week.

Amazed? This comp is like no other - which other competition allows its grand final to be played on a ground where one of the teams plays 9 of its last 10 games there and is its home ground. Which other competition? None.

Go GWS.

Interesting comments. Appreciate your views - although I beg to differ in some points you raise.
Would love to continue but sorry I seemed to have derailed this thread - maybe a new thread should be created to discuss these matters further.

As for the budding 'accountants' who believed that Collingwood was saved from bankrupty from licensing fees for the AFL - enough of your crap.
Derailing the thread as well.
Create a thread for that too.

Congrats to GWS.

Amazed? This comp is like no other - which other competition allows its grand final to be played on a ground where one of the teams plays 9 of its last 10 games there and is its home ground. Which other competition? None.

Go GWS.
So no-one should play on the MCG in the home and away season? :drunk:
Anyway if your one who believes in promoting home finals for the team who finished higher on the ladder during the H&A season - it would still be Richmond at the 'G next week.

Oh and I might as well ask you the rhetorical questions that apply to my club...
Which comp has a skewed draw which means my club only got to play the bottom side once?
Which comp also determines that we play your side only once this season and that we have to play it on your home ground in Adelaide?
(not that it did you much good - you lost by 11 goals)

Last edited:
Don’t hate our success record GE. Embrace the spectacle we have given over the last 5 decades.

Preach love not war. 😘
Loved watching Hawthorn play finals.
Teams that were always balanced with skill, toughness at the contest, played an entertaining style of footy, had personalities, star players and the right amount of mongrel if required without going too far over the top (except maybe Matthews on Bruns)

Go GWS.
Plenty. Because Richmond earned two home finals.

Haven’t people been whinging for years about the highest ranked team getting the game?

Back