Game Day Collingwood v GWS Giants - Preliminary Finals — Sat 21 Sep, 4:35PM AEST, MCG

Who will Win?

• Collingwood by 30+ pts

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Collingwood 10-30

Votes: 48 37.2%
  • Collingwood by <10

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • GWS Giants by <10

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • GWS Giants by 10-30

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • GWS Giants by 30+

Votes: 11 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Enouh of this crap.
The registration fees paid by West Coast and Brisbane totalled $8m
If the monies received were equally distubuted amongst the VFL clubs (and they weren't) - each club would have received $666,000 dollars (based on 12 clubs).
There was the small matter of Fitzroy and Sydney at the time - and the AFL underwriting them.

You are also assuming that the licence fees were "paid" out to clubs in the applicable financial year - and they weren't.

So your telling me that Collingwood - who had a debt that year of 3.5 million were able to pay off their debt with $666,000 (which they never received) and be in the black with a year.
The wording 'technically insolvent' is obviously a phrase that you don't understand.
The Pies had a cash flow problem which they were able to trade out of themselves.
They were never bankrupt or placed under administration.
Licence fees or not the Pies did not rely on these monies to survive.

Seriously?

Mate - I don't care whether you believe it or not - it is fact - as inconvenient as it might be for you to hear.

And FYI : technically insolvent means that it has a negative net asset value; its liabilities are greater than its assets.

So .... if all of the liabilities are called in or, fall due then .... well .... it should be obvious even to the most rusted on Pies supporter.

Liabilities are greater than its assets.

Concern was great enough that Gordon Lewis was going to close those 7 clubs down if the league couldn't come up with a convincing solution.

And because those 7 clubs had no money the WCE had to pay for their flights to WA to play at Subi in the early days. Many Vics will not know that small fact either.

Anyway, it's all history now and I don't mind the Pies as a club as their supporters walked out of the MCG in sportsman like fashion last year. I know I was there. But it would be refreshing to hear some in the Vic media acknowledge the contribution of interstate teams to the AFL and stop with their biased crap.

Commentary team on Fox yesterday was just an extension of the Pies cheer squad. May as well asked Joffa to join them. Truly awful adolescent bias.

Seriously?

Mate - I don't care whether you believe it or not - it is fact - as inconvenient as it might be for you to hear.

And FYI : technically insolvent means that it has a negative net asset value; its liabilities are greater than its assets.

So .... if all of the liabilities are called in or, fall due then .... well .... it should be obvious even to the most rusted on Pies supporter.

Concern was great enough that Gordon Lewis was going to close those 7 clubs down if the league couldn't come up with a convincing solution.

And because those 7 clubs had no money the WCE had to pay for their flights to WA to play at Subi in the early days. Many Vics will not know that small fact either.

Anyway, it's all history now and I don't mind the Pies as a club as their supporters walked out of the MCG in sportsman like fashion last year. I know I was there. But it would be refreshing to hear some in the Vic media acknowledge the contribution of interstate teams to the AFL and stop with their biased crap.

Commentary team on Fox yesterday was just an extension of the Pies cheer squad. May as well asked Joffa to join them. Truly awful adolescent bias.
Would've been heaps better commentary had joffa been on there instead of the band wagon that is seven.

Seriously?

I'm a Vic , and the WCE did save clubs but WCE and Freo our from football states, and the VFL at the time was almost a National competition any way.
My beef is that the game has gone backwards once the AFL threw millions at two robot clubs inventions, sure they'll get their history in 50 or 100 years,

BUT NEITHER NEW TEAMS HAVE HELPED OUR AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL GAME
AFL HAS SPENT THE LAST TEN TO FIFTEEN YEARS MANIPULATING THE SPORT FOR THIS TV RIGHTS PAIR.

You are a rude little person. But being rude doesn't make you understand a point that I've made dozens of times over some years !

I like the national competition where it is played by traditional football states, we didn't need two new teams in NSW and QLD.
How many times do you need to be told, has got me .

Of course everyone has to start somewhere, but GWS and GC17 WEREN'T STARTED , THEY WE CREATED MANUFACTURED GIVEN FAVOUR AFTER FAVOUR AND WERE INVENTED FOR MONEY. Grow some common sense and see where I am coming from.

Demetriou and the then Gil boy apprentice, wanted Footscray and North Melbourne to re locate, they wouldn't.
The people who followed them fought like frigging hell to stay alive in their hometown, if they had have caved in and gone where they were asked , they would have brought a culture with them like South and Fitzroy did, and money and a backing from the AFL the common people/fans/followers/members put their own money in too

!And hear this!
THERE'D BE ONLY 16 TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE. Get it????????? The game wouldn't have had to be fiddled with , because we would have had a smaller player pool and would need about 100 players LESS of elite NEW boys to deal with .
To give better standard to the game! WE ALREADY HAVE TEAMS IN NSW AND QLD ,and well well well they are successful . yes?

Admittedly helped a little too, BUT NOT LIKE THE MILLION DOLLAR PLASTICS NOW.

The players are not my target, except for the rat Greene, the team is not my target, its the rotten manipulative system that makes me angry, I am not a VFL follower , I look at Box Hill sometimes to see how Hawthorn players are running, I haven't seen a game at Whitehorse and Middleborough road ground for decades , that was VFA and probably second division, I've followed WEST PERTH AND SWAN DISTRICTS IN THIS STATE , BUT MY HOME IN MELBOURNE ONCE UPON A TIME YOU COULD WATCH FOOTY AND ENJOY IT, YESTERDAY WAS A ROTTEN LOOKING RUGBY STYLED GAME , BECAUSE SOME SIDES PLAY THAT LOCK DOWN.
BECAUSE THEY CAN'T WIN IN THE OPEN, SO THEY HAVE STOPPAGES, stoppages ????? Rugby!
THE GAME NOW IS FULL OF STOPPAGES, ITS NOW A TACTIC NOW!,

Well MORE things have changed and when umpires dictate matches , talk patronisingly to players and make mistakes by the ton, and when bloody Gerard Healy talks on TV about... " pay more frees"... I nearly fall off the couch. Stop start, and pack football.

Looking like something out of the 60's on a mud packed surface??? Not on the beautiful surfaces like now days, but these bloke have to play with their capabilities on the ground , because out of all of them ,
OUT OF ALL OF THEM! A GREAT MANY CAN'T HANDLE THE BLEEDING PILL! You know what too, those old timers at that level weren't bad in the bog pile of mud in those day

TV rights were the whole reason , why the hell do you think that the AFL sends teams to China, to promote and make business deals and invent ways to MAKE MORE MONEY.

In doing so they have turned our AFL game that "IS" played in every state , before these two plastics came along, except for Tasmania and the Northern Territory.

It has seen the game changed the rules destroyed the free kick count massive the umpiring changing the game and dictating the game, it has seen inconclusive camera technology being used ( no not Pendleburys point/goal I saw the finger too) in so many cases , its seen one umpire pay something for the same thing the next umpire didn't !
If you haven't heard others beside me talk about it, then you are deaf.
The reason , preparation for two inventions one that is a basket case and will need propping up by Gil and his cronies again, the other given huge help as well, and after several short years is playing off in a grand final, are you blind too, where's your club been since 1964 .

Oh , that rubbish messy rugby match was meant to be an AFL Preliminary final. Even if it was pouring rain!
There I love a debate, bet there are a few who do too, but I say what I think, and next week is not feeling very exciting any more!

I remember Sydney premierships and the Lions too, but South and Fitzroy were there also as well as Sydney and Brisbane, What have we got next week, Gils Giant invention, v a real club!
If you can't see the difference , then leave the debate , but don't talk down to me , and I won't to you. Bye.
stopitcantbreate.jpg

Seriously?

...and if all liabilies are called in Australia is bankrupt too? Doesn't happen.
Thats the point, irrespective of the level of debt the Pies were always going to be able to trade out of its debts and it did without the licence fees.
Creditors were never going to call up the debts. because they know its only a cash crisis - "technically insolvent" (I am glad you went and googled it - you might learn something)

Anyway enough of this bullshit.
Who's helping funding of the AFL now?
Whos getting less monies from the AFL than other clubs and paying more into the coffers than other clubs.
Which teams are contributing a "wealth tax" of $1m a year.
Ironically its Collingwood,
West Coast (you know, the expansion team with the licence fees that 'saved' us :rolleyes: ),
and Hawthorn who were solvent at the inception of the AFL - nearly had to merge under financial strain after the AFL was formed - found other revenue streams - and now being taxed extra as well.

As for biased crap - thats your perception, your hangup. Still wanting to hold up those "Kick a Vic" signs like the Sandgropers and Crows used to do in the days of state-of-origin footy eh
Keep up your hatred of the Pies - we love it.

Last edited:
I'm a Vic , and the WCE did save clubs but WCE and Freo our from football states, and the VFL at the time was almost a National competition any way.
My beef is that the game has gone backwards once the AFL threw millions at two robot clubs inventions, sure they'll get their history in 50 or 100 years,

BUT NEITHER NEW TEAMS HAVE HELPED OUR AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL GAME
AFL HAS SPENT THE LAST TEN TO FIFTEEN YEARS MANIPULATING THE SPORT FOR THIS TV RIGHTS PAIR.

"BUT NEITHER NEW TEAMS HAVE HELPED OUR AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL GAME
AFL HAS SPENT THE LAST TEN TO FIFTEEN YEARS MANIPULATING THE SPORT FOR THIS TV RIGHTS PAIR
."

Agree with you 100% that GC and GWS re simply sucking up resources and subsidies that could be better spent on grass roots footy in the footy states or a team in Tasmania.

Frankly, I would like to have seem the Pies win yesterday - not to please the AFL admin goons but for the supporters of two of Melbourne's biggest clubs.

The GF week in Melbourne would have been something else. I went for the entire week last year and was just an wonderful experience. How they hell can 15,000 GWS members make a GF week?

Anyway, good luck to both teams and their might be more seats available for the average punter next week -maybe.

AFL still trying to sell their 'premium packages'. Got an email this morning.

Ive read a few Collingwood supporters being proud of the players effort.

If i was a fan id be livid letting an opportunity like that going begging.
I’m livid with the midfielders. The backline was massive for us. Couldn’t have done anymore.

You are a rude little person. But being rude doesn't make you understand a point that I've made dozens of times over some years !

I like the national competition where it is played by traditional football states, we didn't need two new teams in NSW and QLD.
How many times do you need to be told, has got me .

Of course everyone has to start somewhere, but GWS and GC17 WEREN'T STARTED , THEY WE CREATED MANUFACTURED GIVEN FAVOUR AFTER FAVOUR AND WERE INVENTED FOR MONEY. Grow some common sense and see where I am coming from.

Demetriou and the then Gil boy apprentice, wanted Footscray and North Melbourne to re locate, they wouldn't.
The people who followed them fought like frigging hell to stay alive in their hometown, if they had have caved in and gone where they were asked , they would have brought a culture with them like South and Fitzroy did, and money and a backing from the AFL the common people/fans/followers/members put their own money in too

!And hear this!
THERE'D BE ONLY 16 TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE. Get it????????? The game wouldn't have had to be fiddled with , because we would have had a smaller player pool and would need about 100 players LESS of elite NEW boys to deal with .
To give better standard to the game! WE ALREADY HAVE TEAMS IN NSW AND QLD ,and well well well they are successful . yes?

Admittedly helped a little too, BUT NOT LIKE THE MILLION DOLLAR PLASTICS NOW.

The players are not my target, except for the rat Greene, the team is not my target, its the rotten manipulative system that makes me angry, I am not a VFL follower , I look at Box Hill sometimes to see how Hawthorn players are running, I haven't seen a game at Whitehorse and Middleborough road ground for decades , that was VFA and probably second division, I've followed WEST PERTH AND SWAN DISTRICTS IN THIS STATE , BUT MY HOME IN MELBOURNE ONCE UPON A TIME YOU COULD WATCH FOOTY AND ENJOY IT, YESTERDAY WAS A ROTTEN LOOKING RUGBY STYLED GAME , BECAUSE SOME SIDES PLAY THAT LOCK DOWN.
BECAUSE THEY CAN'T WIN IN THE OPEN, SO THEY HAVE STOPPAGES, stoppages ????? Rugby!
THE GAME NOW IS FULL OF STOPPAGES, ITS NOW A TACTIC NOW!,

Well MORE things have changed and when umpires dictate matches , talk patronisingly to players and make mistakes by the ton, and when bloody Gerard Healy talks on TV about... " pay more frees"... I nearly fall off the couch. Stop start, and pack football.

Looking like something out of the 60's on a mud packed surface??? Not on the beautiful surfaces like now days, but these bloke have to play with their capabilities on the ground , because out of all of them ,
OUT OF ALL OF THEM! A GREAT MANY CAN'T HANDLE THE BLEEDING PILL! You know what too, those old timers at that level weren't bad in the bog pile of mud in those day

TV rights were the whole reason , why the hell do you think that the AFL sends teams to China, to promote and make business deals and invent ways to MAKE MORE MONEY.

In doing so they have turned our AFL game that "IS" played in every state , before these two plastics came along, except for Tasmania and the Northern Territory.

It has seen the game changed the rules destroyed the free kick count massive the umpiring changing the game and dictating the game, it has seen inconclusive camera technology being used ( no not Pendleburys point/goal I saw the finger too) in so many cases , its seen one umpire pay something for the same thing the next umpire didn't !
If you haven't heard others beside me talk about it, then you are deaf.
The reason , preparation for two inventions one that is a basket case and will need propping up by Gil and his cronies again, the other given huge help as well, and after several short years is playing off in a grand final, are you blind too, where's your club been since 1964 .

Oh , that rubbish messy rugby match was meant to be an AFL Preliminary final. Even if it was pouring rain!
There I love a debate, bet there are a few who do too, but I say what I think, and next week is not feeling very exciting any more!

I remember Sydney premierships and the Lions too, but South and Fitzroy were there also as well as Sydney and Brisbane, What have we got next week, Gils Giant invention, v a real club!
If you can't see the difference , then leave the debate , but don't talk down to me , and I won't to you. Bye.
Times have changed mate. The game is different but I am not going to give myself an aneurism over it.

Where are the Pies mafia. Have gone strangely quiet with the exception of the Filth. Where is everyone?
Pretty heart broken tbh.

Oppo supporters generally taking the piss out of the Pies after we lost a Prelim by 4 points, with no real neutral commentary of the actual game, just umpiring/ARC commentary and people sinking the boot in.

You won’t find many Pies fans responding because we CBF at the moment.

Slowly sinking in that despite all the hard work this season, it’s gone down the gurgler in painful fashion, similar to last season.

It’s *ing painful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the national competition where it is played by traditional football states

I don’t bother reading beyond a sentence or two of your posts because I know what a crock of s#*t you usually post but this quote basically sums you up.

Just pathetic.

Absolutely s#*tful.

As much a I hate the Pies, after watching the Presser of both losing coaches Buckley is all class compared to Scott.
Buckley at least had the courtesy to respond to reporters with some respect and answer questions genuinely.
Miserable Scott on the other hand is an absolute disgrace and used the "to emotional to comment" response treating US and reporters with contempt.

I'd be bloody embarrassed and ashamed to be a Cats supporter.

As much a I hate the Pies, after watching the Presser of both losing coaches Buckley is all class compared to Scott.
Buckley at least had the courtesy to respond to reporters with some respect and answer questions genuinely.
Miserable Scott on the other hand is an absolute disgrace and used the "to emotional to comment" response treating US and reporters with contempt.

To be fair, he is a twin. Poor guy doesn't even have his own identity.

Because he knew he bungled it after half time with poor coaching decisions. Scotty 2 Hotty was too focused on the coveted glory of securing a victory with one or two “brilliant” coaching moves which turned out to be stinkers

Starting to not mind the Giants as much as I did. That win showed some real backs against the wall grit and determination. Sure they have been given a good run with draft picks and money far better than what we did when we started. But it's a way more successful venture ATM than Gold Coast at least on field. Having said all that Bucks I feel for. If he gets a flag as a coach it will be a great thing. Having seen the Pie army going off in 2010 I am sure that the next set of celebrations will be epic.

Are GWS really worthy of praise for that performance? Some nice passages of play from them but ultimately that was an epic choke from Collingwood.

Both Buckley and Pendles saying it hurts more than last year... that's because they're ashamed. They know they shat the bed.

Are GWS really worthy of praise for that performance? Some nice passages of play from them but ultimately that was an epic choke from Collingwood.

Both Buckley and Pendles saying it hurts more than last year... that's because they're ashamed. They know they shat the bed.

I would agree, the real problem was committing the bodies in wet weather footy and of course thinking they just had to turn up.

A % of the blame must lie at Buckleys feet as well, it appears in hindsight that perhaps he was of the same opinion because everything that could go wrong for GWS in the preceding week had gone wrong.

He really needed to tear strips of them at half time, he should have gone psycho.

Nathan Buckley realised and admitted he needed to change his attitude. Not many people can do that because they like to talk themselves up and think their s**t don't stink. Respect to Bucks from a Blues Man.

He says all the right things in a press conference and comes across as being on top of everything, but you know what i don't rate him as a senior coach.

I just don't rate him, he has a serious record of coming second and so does his club.

Probably harsh but he is not a great coach, just average IMO.

Thank you GWS.

The level of smugness in Melbourne after twenty minutes of good footy against Geelong was unbearable... this was after sneaking into the top 4 because their big rival (West Coast) had a massive brain fart in the final game of the year. The debacle and convenience of the Jaidyn Stephenson return from his betting suspension. Also the baiting and arrogance directed at Geelong a couple of weeks back about the final not being played at Kardinia Park.

The line up for Grand Final tickets at the shopping centres before the Prelim even started (saw them all camped out on Friday night), Eddie again taking over the Triple M breakfast show with his pro-Collingwood bullsh*t all week, the sense of entitlement to right the wrongs of last years Grand Final after beating a number of poor to very average sides (Gold Coast, Melbourne, Adelaide & Essendon) leading into the finals.

One day later and you can still hear a pin drop.

Don't really care who wins the GF now.

Back