Game Day Collingwood v GWS Giants - Preliminary Finals — Sat 21 Sep, 4:35PM AEST, MCG

Who will Win?

• Collingwood by 30+ pts

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Collingwood 10-30

Votes: 48 37.2%
  • Collingwood by <10

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • GWS Giants by <10

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • GWS Giants by 10-30

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • GWS Giants by 30+

Votes: 11 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Are we waiting for the pies to come back big time?
Only 74k to a prelim is a very poor crowd. We got 94k to a GWS prelim.
It’s a myth you are the biggest club..
We smash membership records (don’t make up numbers like your club does)
We smash crowd numbers... (first club to get a million through the gate)...

Name anything your club is bigger at...
Pies only got an extra 880 against the Giants in Preliminary Final than the Tiges did in their r23 H&A game against the Lions.

Nov 20, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Are we waiting for the pies to come back big time?
Only 74k to a prelim is a very poor crowd. We got 94k to a GWS prelim.
It’s a myth you are the biggest club..
We smash membership records (don’t make up numbers like your club does)
We smash crowd numbers... (first club to get a million through the gate)...

Name anything your club is bigger at...

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
See the post above yours.
Collingwood haven't travelled this series and scored a week's break after winning a qualifying final gifted at their home ground- same ground as the prelim, where GWS don't play on regularly and aren't great on when they do.

Their opposition spends the week facing intense media attention over a contentious suspension, are travelling interstate for the second week in a row after an intense semi-final, and has half their squad unavailable.

Yet Collingwood still managed to find a way to piss it up the wall.

That's an absolutely massive choke.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood haven't travelled this series and scored a week's break after winning a qualifying final gifted at their home ground- same ground as the prelim, where GWS don't play on regularly and aren't great on when they do.

Their opposition spends the week facing intense media attention over a contentious suspension, are travelling interstate for the second week in a row after an intense semi-final, and has half their squad unavailable.

Yeah you're probably right, but i think i would rather our choke in a prelim, than choking all year like Melbourne did.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep.
But if you look at it realistically there are too many teams in Victoria.
WA or SA may be able to cater for a 3rd team, there should be a team in Tassie and the Gold Coast is a failed experiment that aint gonna work.
You'll never be able to cut or merge the 3 or 4 teams from Victoria though. No-one would allow it.
The talent pool is becoming too thin because of the number of clubs.
The draw is inequitable etc etc.
i think eventually the AFL will withdraw support for the poorer teams so they will have to merge to survive. Then teams in the Tassie and N.T states can be implemented.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?

Anything can happen on the day. Specially in those conditions.

I know you want to piss on Collingwood, and I do hate Eddie McGuire, but sorry, there was no guarantee they were going to win, so no, I can't agree it's a choke.

Otherwise why do we have tipping contests?

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
i think eventually the AFL will withdraw support for the poorer teams so they will have to merge to survive. Then teams in the Tassie and N.T states can be implemented.
Couldn’t disagree more.

AFL wants 20 teams eventually to have a 19 round comp to finally get rid of what can only be described as a rigged system

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Happy about the result, I hope gws can go all the way but I doubt it. I actually don't mind the actual team at collingwood but I would rather see someone else for a change. Couldn't stand the thought of geelong winning it they've had their time and I still don't rate their list. Kudos to them they stucture up well, something my team has lacked. Hard to see richmond losing they're quality and determined to redeem themselves after blowing it big time last year.

Syd96

Dylan Shield
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
76ers
Yep, I reckon Richmond to win (sadly) by 20-40 points. They're just looking too strong, and they have the refs on their side thanks to AFL bias and home crowd advantage. Also, the Giants will be fairly battered and bruised after the prelim. Sure hope the Giants win though.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
You’d need to consider that Prelim was your first in almost 20 years. Yesterday was our 9th in that period of time. The tiger faithful was going to turn out in massive numbers for it no matter what.

EDIT: Our ‘02 Prelim vs Adelaide (first since 1990) got just under 89,000, which was under 3,000 less than the actual Grand Final that year. MCG was at a reduced capacity FYI

Adelaide is not a good example to draw on... crows supporters travel and would have had 15-20k at that game.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Adelaide is not a good example to draw on... crows supporters travel and would have had 15-20k at that game.
The fact you were playing your first Prelim in almost 20 years compared to Collingwood’s 9th doesn’t matter?

When you played GWS, they were playing in their second Prelim ever. This time around is their 4th in a row, with no one giving them a chance to win. Would their supports be more inclined to attend this one or the 2017 one?

The weather was shithouse too. (I had to bloody sit in it)

If you’re going to compare, make it like for like at least.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
24 hours later, nothing has changed...

A853BB73-34D7-42BC-B6B0-241CC1424E5D.gif

The fact you were playing your first Prelim in almost 20 years compared to Collingwood’s 9th doesn’t matter?

When you played GWS, they were playing in their second Prelim ever. This time around is their 4th in a row, with no one giving them a chance to win. Would their supports be more inclined to attend this one or the 2017 one?

The weather was s**thouse too. (I had to bloody sit in it)

Which prelim did GWS play last year?

After re watching the game I was too harsh on Buckley.

Who is the midfield and stoppages coach though? Lack of synergy between Grundy and his midfield is a disgrace

Rob Harvey.

He has a job for life because he was Nathan Buckley's idol/inspiration as a junior.

There is a reason the Saints have refused to hire him as senior coach 3 times now...

Couldn’t disagree more.

AFL wants 20 teams eventually to have a 19 round comp to finally get rid of what can only be described as a rigged system

How do 19 rounds solve anything? What does that look like when it comes to home games and away games?

Best option is adding a 19th team (Tassie) and having everyone play once (9 home and 9 away games) with byes to extend the season.

Players get more rest.
Fixture is fairer.
Premium games worth more to ticket holders and broadcasters.

Winners all around.

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
You’d need to consider that Prelim was your first in almost 20 years. Yesterday was our 9th in that period of time. The tiger faithful was going to turn out in massive numbers for it no matter what.

EDIT: Our ‘02 Prelim vs Adelaide (first since 1990) got just under 89,000, which was under 3,000 less than the actual Grand Final that year. MCG was at a reduced capacity FYI
Prelim Final fatigue? Come on we have been nice till now....

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

The weather was s**thouse too. (I had to bloody sit in it)

Disagree.. but ok I’ll let you win that one lol.
Explain membership numbers? Dollar value too?
Average crowd attendances over the last three years?

rado

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m convinced a second finals bye is not ideal before a cut throat prelim ..... both pies and tigers were asleep early. The margin for the pies in the end too much to real in.

Just like last year, we were asleep early against the pies and by halftime ..... game over. I think the bye before finals needs to be scrapped, I’m sure it won’t change anytime soon.

GWS have always been talented, yesterday the added a whole lotta grit to that talent and that’s what wins finals ..... very dangerous!!

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Prelim Final fatigue? Come on we have been nice till now....
If you haven’t had sex for 20 years, how excited will you be for that first time? Will you have the same level of excitement for it if it’s happening multiple times in recent years?
(I’m married unfortunately, so I’ll take it when I can get it)

I believe we can continue to be nice to each other whilst disagreeing on certain things. Also, there are a lot of things that don’t need to be turned into a competition, nor does it have to be turned nasty if Richmond isn’t ahead of Collingwood in it.
(Yes, I am slightly baiting you lol)

Back