Game Day Collingwood v Melbourne Practice Match

Remove this Banner Ad

I think what's gotten most people excited with Cox (NTTAWWT) is that he still is still relatively new to AFL Footy, and every year he continues to get better and better... Maybe people see his breakout game against Richmond and project that to him doing it more and more consistently in 2019.

I’d put that in the perceived value column myself. At 28 (in 2 weeks) entering his fifth season I’m skeptical that he all of a sudden becomes an AA quality KPF which is the level he’ll reach if he starts putting up that sort of footy consistently.

Development isn’t linear though so no doubt he has the scope to have more of those types of matches in 2019 and beyond, but I’ll judge him on what I know he’s capable of for now. Here’s to me getting called out as a hater or whatever if he can get to that level though because I have no doubt we go a step further than 2018 if he does!

Last edited:
I’d put that in the perceived value column myself. At 28 (in 2 weeks) entering his fifth season I’m skeptical that he all of a sudden becomes an AA quality KPF which is the level he’ll reach if he starts putting up that sort of footy consistently.

Development isn’t linear though so no doubt he has the scope to have more of those types of matches in 2019 and beyond, but I’ll judge him on what I know he’s capable of for now. Here’s to me getting called out as a hater or whatever if he can get to that level though because I have no doubt we go a step further than 2018 if he does!

He has played 44 games of Footy, when that number starts to get to 80-100 I expect we'll see a much more consistent and complete player. He obviously never played the game as a junior so I see his scope for improvement being a lot higher than others would be in his situation, there's so many nuances and small things he'll pick up with more experience.

The 6-6-6 rule should help him massively too, the only way opposition teams can stop him is playing an extra defender who sits in front of him and blocks his run... with only 6 defenders allowed back instead of 7 or 8 he'll get a lot more space to mark

Be nice but I don't know that many ever expected AA quality. I've said consistently that if he's producing something like the 1.6 goals a game of his debut season I'd be pretty happy with his contribution given the value add he offers others like Mihocek and Thomas, and the ruck support he offers Grundy. His possession numbers and marking numbers have improved year on year yet strangely his GPG average has declined. Hopefully 2019 is the break out year for him where things fall into place and we see continued growth in his marking numbers, the 10+ possessions a game, and 1.5 goals a game or greater.

Be nice but I don't know that many ever expected AA quality. I've said consistently that if he's producing something like the 1.6 goals a game of his debut season I'd be pretty happy with his contribution given the value add he offers others like Mihocek and Thomas, and the ruck support he offers Grundy. His possession numbers and marking numbers have improved year on year yet strangely his GPG average has declined. Hopefully 2019 is the break out year for him where things fall into place and we see continued growth in his marking numbers, the 10+ possessions a game, and 1.5 goals a game or greater.
Agreed. I have been a fan of Cox from early but I did think his 2018 was less than I expected despite his improvement. He needs more goal kicking and he falgged in 2018 although the work of JDG, Thomas, WHE, Mihochek and Stephenson gave him an out. 1.5 gpg translates to 30-40 per season which is where he needs to be. If he goes above that great but with the other stuff he offers 30-40 goals in a season makes him a valuable player.

Cox is a certainty. Didn’t think I’d be saying that 12 months ago and now with the new rules even more so. Will be unstoppable on a quick centre break.

Yup 6-6-6 should help him and the Cox who played in the preliminary final was unstoppable, one of the most exciting games Ive seen in footy. OTOH, the Cox who played in the qualifying and semi finals, was very clearly and obviously stopped. You are almost certainly correct that in the minds of the selectors Cox is a certainty, but with that sort of inconsistency (goalless in 9 out of his 24 games last year), I am not sure that he should be..

And I thought I was the only "hater"!! I find assessing improvement and potential in mature age recruits very difficult. They don't enjoy that improvement in musculature and strength that comes naturally as teenagers become men . Now if Coxy was younger, you'd be reasonably confident that he would get better in those 1 on 1s as he gets stronger, cause lets face it, that is his major weakness. He gets shoved off the ball too easily and it was a weakness brilliantly exploited by Barrass. OTOH against Richmond he played intelligently, lead aggressively and found space so his poor wrestling didn't matter. that's got to be his template, he has to keep moving and stop wrestling!

And yup, if Coxy turns into a 40 goal a year forward it improves us immeasurably

Agreed. I have been a fan of Cox from early but I did think his 2018 was less than I expected despite his improvement. He needs more goal kicking and he falgged in 2018 although the work of JDG, Thomas, WHE, Mihochek and Stephenson gave him an out. 1.5 gpg translates to 30-40 per season which is where he needs to be. If he goes above that great but with the other stuff he offers 30-40 goals in a season makes him a valuable player.

If, his 2018 rate of improvement continues, or at least doesn't go backwards completely, 30-40 goals won't be a problem at all. As much as he adds value with taps to advantage and marking, I tend to agree that he edges closer to the "complete package" when he becomes more of a consistent season-long goal threat.

It's an interesting year ahead for him now that the whole competition knows what he is capable of.

He has played 44 games of Footy, when that number starts to get to 80-100 I expect we'll see a much more consistent and complete player. He obviously never played the game as a junior so I see his scope for improvement being a lot higher than others would be in his situation, there's so many nuances and small things he'll pick up with more experience.

The 6-6-6 rule should help him massively too, the only way opposition teams can stop him is playing an extra defender who sits in front of him and blocks his run... with only 6 defenders allowed back instead of 7 or 8 he'll get a lot more space to mark

Yeah, I'm actually more sceptical. I think the Richmond game will likely be one of the best 2 or 3 games he plays. I think he'll become more consistent, but at a lower level. He'll still be a handful but more just a good player than an AA forward. If he'd started earlier, I'd think you might have an argument.

I hope you're right though!

Yeah, I'm actually more sceptical. I think the Richmond game will likely be one of the best 2 or 3 games he plays. I think he'll become more consistent, but at a lower level. He'll still be a handful but more just a good player than an AA forward. If he'd started earlier, I'd think you might have an argument.

I hope you're right though!

Most tall forwards take till at least the 100 game mark before they start getting to that A grade level, I don't think he'll get there in 2019 but i see his linear improvement continuing for years to come.

Cox is 27 and a freak athlete.. Aaron Sandilands is 36 and still going round, so I'd say he definitely has many years still to come. He won't lose any of that height post 30.
and starting at a later date means his body hasn't copped all that early battering, so hopefully that adds years on at the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I thought I was the only "hater"!! I find assessing improvement and potential in mature age recruits very difficult. They don't enjoy that improvement in musculature and strength that comes naturally as teenagers become men . Now if Coxy was younger, you'd be reasonably confident that he would get better in those 1 on 1s as he gets stronger, cause lets face it, that is his major weakness. He gets shoved off the ball too easily and it was a weakness brilliantly exploited by Barrass. OTOH against Richmond he played intelligently, lead aggressively and found space so his poor wrestling didn't matter. that's got to be his template, he has to keep moving and stop wrestling!

And yup, if Coxy turns into a 40 goal a year forward it improves us immeasurably
The issue is that against Richmond his opponents zoned off him, thus he began with seperation. This meant it was much easier for him to be on the move and avoid wrestling. That's clearly not the way to play Cox and not many defenders will play him that way, now that he's shown how damaging he can be. He needs to find a way of getting on the move and avoiding wrestling when there isn't seperation to begin with. Hopefully that's what the club are working with him on - that and his goal kicking range.

The issue is that against Richmond his opponents zoned off him, thus he began with seperation. This meant it was much easier for him to be on the move and avoid wrestling. That's clearly not the way to play Cox and not many defenders will play him that way, now that he's shown how damaging he can be. He needs to find a way of getting on the move and avoiding wrestling when there isn't seperation to begin with. Hopefully that's what the club are working with him on - that and his goal kicking range.

And apparently some of the Richmond players had gastro.... apparently

Remove this Banner Ad

Back