Game Day Collingwood v Melbourne Practice Match

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s not a spud but I doubt he gets a game in our best 22. Would he be somewhere in the 23-28 range? Probably

He’s a forward and people are finding it hard enough fitting JT into a full strength line up with Elliott back

He kicked 32 goals and had a league leading goal assists of 33 (collingwoods highest player had only 19).

That's with having Tom Mcdonald and Hogan as our focal points whereas Pies had only Mason Cox. So he easily fits into your 22.

100%

There was no real difference between Lockyer’s 2010 performances and say Blair’s. We beat St Kilda by 48 points in Round 16 with all of Presti, Lockyer and Davis playing. Medhurst didn’t play that day but was similarly capable. The rest were all more than capable back-ups who with the exception of Rusling played significant 2010 game time IIRC.
Rusling was on the list in 2010?

He kicked 32 goals and had a league leading goal assists of 33 (collingwoods highest player had only 19).

That's with having Tom Mcdonald and Hogan as our focal points whereas Pies had only Mason Cox. So he easily fits into your 22.
Its incredible that you guys didn’t go 22-0 with all these amazing players

Looking at those tapes--looks like we were smashed in the air all over the ground and on ground level too.
Inside 50 entries looked very poor.
We can't play too many talls inside 50----i'd have Mihocek ahead of Reid because of his ground level ability.
Reid and Cox are probably similar in that they're aerialists only- so it's one of them throughout the year.

I just don't see a role for Greenwood in our best side this year.
I'd have IQ in--he can run and carry the ball as opposed to Greenwood who is plodding most of the time.

100%

There was no real difference between Lockyer’s 2010 performances and say Blair’s. We beat St Kilda by 48 points in Round 16 with all of Presti, Lockyer and Davis playing. Medhurst didn’t play that day but was similarly capable. The rest were all more than capable back-ups who with the exception of Rusling played significant 2010 game time IIRC.
Whilst I’m not a known Blair spruiker, I do understand that he was picked for that small man pressure player type in 2010. I still had reservations then, was no need over Lockyer, Davis even (replay he was left out), Goldsack in game one.

Blair gave his all, great attitude, great application, got the most out of himself, but I still didn’t see the need. A basic average player. Good luck to him, but I agree with your assessment.

There is no way in the world Reid is ahead of Mihocek for the simple reason Mihocek is more mobile than Reid. Compounding that if you play Reid and Roughead in the same side we are too slow and top heavy. Our depth is an illusion just like it was in 2010. We need to find our best 22 which is a combination of skill, speed and experience. You can afford one or two slow players in your ideal side, but if you have too many, you tip over the edge.

If that match was to decide the R1 side then Reid is easily ahead of Mihocek. Lot of water to go under the bridge yet though.

Does anybody have any comments about the new rule changes?

Were they noticeable at all?

Think the play on from 50m penalties will cause some grief, liked the play on from a behind, the 6-6-6 made no difference. It'll be how the changed interpretation are applied throughout the season that'll cause the most consternation I reckon.

No they are not on par and nobody who isn't a pies fan could say otherwise, and in terms of clangers this has more to do with contested vs non contested as you'd assume a player winning more of the ball under pressure would have the higher clanger account and lower effeciency which isn't the case.
Anyway I'm not here hijack the thread, best of luck on the season, you guys will be at the pointy end again this year that's for sure.
To my knowledge a clanger is an unforced error in which case the opposite would be true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Oliver bagging is embarrassing, he is a very, very good footballer & for his age will only get better, possibly elite.

Would love to have him.

Keep your snout in the trough Piggy!

The Oliver bagging is embarrassing, he is a very, very good footballer & for his age will only get better, possibly elite.

Would love to have him.

I think most 'pies fans here are judging his output right now, which while exceptional for his age doesn't currently exceed that of the more senior players mentioned. If we were to revisit the topic and make a similar comparison in 2-4 years time I expect the comparison to be more favourable towards Oliver. For example it's likely Adams has nearly reached his ceiling whereas Oliver has greater scope to develop further.

de Goey didn't run rings around Oliver. de Goey had a great clearance game, especially in that first quarter and he's a terrific talent, but he'll never be in Oliver's league as a midfielder. That's not to say he won't be as valuable in the role he plays. Right now Oliver would be your best mid.

Anyway, I'll leave it, as I feel like i'm debating a kid and I like kids.
Oliver is a gun, but I'd pick Sidebottom before him.

Would love to have him.

The Melbourne Fans Started it

I might have to start actually watching Melbourne play so that I can make an informed judgement about Oliver. As far as Adams is concerned, he played well when it most counted, in a grand final. Oliver no matter how good he may be, and along with every Melbourne player, is yet to show his worth in the most important game of the year. You have to be in it to win it.

Oliver is a gun. I don’t doubt it. But if he’s melbourne’s best mid, Carlton have then covered in the guts.

Would love to have him.

TD was probably right saying that Melbourne started it! I thought it was a shame that the game thread got sidetracked by discussion of the relative outs of each team. We lost but I didn't think the scores mattered and I was more interested in the senior players who were in rather than those who were out.

I might have to start actually watching Melbourne play so that I can make an informed judgement about Oliver. As far as Adams is concerned, he played well when it most counted, in a grand final. Oliver no matter how good he may be, and along with every Melbourne player, is yet to show his worth in the most important game of the year. You have to be in it to win it.

We saw the DEES show how good they weren't in the second most important game of the year in the Prelim against the Eagles. Could have cost us the flag with the Eagles having a confidence building bruise free training drill to lead into the Big Dance.
I was at the game Friday and was looking forward to wide open play with the new rules and only got to witness the usual congestion.Not sure if the ground was smaller than usual which may have contributed. Scores are irrelevant as I was keen to back the Pies for the Spoon after the first JLT Game last year when Greater Western thrashed us.

We saw the DEES show how good they weren't in the second most important game of the year in the Prelim against the Eagles. Could have cost us the flag with the Eagles having a confidence building bruise free training drill to lead into the Big Dance.
I was at the game Friday and was looking forward to wide open play with the new rules and only got to witness the usual congestion.Not sure if the ground was smaller than usual which may have contributed. Scores are irrelevant as I was keen to back the Pies for the Spoon after the first JLT Game last year when Greater Western thrashed us.
Several supporters around me remarked on how little difference the new 666 rule made on the flow and congestion of the game. I too pondered the size of the ground factor but didn't really know how the ground size compared to the MCG and other grounds.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back