Preview Collingwood v Richmond Friday 31 March, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

As a fan of the setup we’ll be forced into this week it’s s**t timing with a 3 week stretch against teams that play two rucks plus the number 1 a physical type (Cameron has struggled with that). I genuinely have no idea what way they’ll go, but if it’s just Cox I’d bring Reef into the 22 and have McStay chop out in the forward half and Frampton in the back half. If Mihocek misses as well then it’s Wilson for me. Carmichael as the sub regardless.

For context on my assessment of the matchup I think there’s two ways to beat us in 2023

1. Choke us by owning possession and territory
2. Beat us with fast footy.

I think if they execute there’s teams that can beat us with the former and the latter. The rest will need us to have an off day from what I’ve seen so far.

With that out of the way I’m setting aside player availability because that won’t have any impact on the match whatsoever. The Tigers are just going at the moment with that forward connection piece a work in progress, but what they have which most sides won’t be able to counter us with this year is comfort in playing fast footy. We’ve had 12 months to bed that down which puts us at a significant advantage over most teams that want to play fast (as we saw v Port). The catch is they’ve been doing it a lot longer than we have so their system will arguably be better than ours. It makes for an interesting contest similar to Rd 1, IMO.

Having seen what we’ve done in the first 2 rounds it’s the Tigers and Brisbane that concern me most on the fast footy front with Carlton and Melbourne on the slow footy front. That means winning 1 of the next two would be massive for our top 4 hopes.

Having seen what we’ve done in the first 2 rounds it’s the Tigers and Brisbane that concern me most on the fast footy front with Carlton and Melbourne on the slow footy front. That means winning 1 of the next two would be massive for our top 4 hopes.
Do Brisbane really play fast footy though?

They seem to play a lot of tempo footy with flashes of fast play on the break.

Do Brisbane really play fast footy though?

They seem to play a lot of tempo footy with flashes of fast play on the break.
At the Gabba they do which is where we always seem to play them… Like us with Daicos, Noble, IQ and Maynard if you give Rich, Coleman and McKenna time they’ll launch. I think the key difference is they don’t have the interceptors down back and their runners aren’t as productive overall, IMO. The one I struggle to peg is Sydney because I think they bring elements of both and want for nothing.

As a fan of the setup we’ll be forced into this week it’s s**t timing with a 3 week stretch against teams that play two rucks plus the number 1 a physical type (Cameron has struggled with that). I genuinely have no idea what way they’ll go, but if it’s just Cox I’d bring Reef into the 22 and have McStay chop out in the forward half and Frampton in the back half. If Mihocek misses as well then it’s Wilson for me. Carmichael as the sub regardless.

For context on my assessment of the matchup I think there’s two ways to beat us in 2023

I think if they execute there’s teams that can beat us with the former and the latter. The rest will need us to have an off day from what I’ve seen so far.

With that out of the way I’m setting aside player availability because that won’t have any impact on the match whatsoever. The Tigers are just going at the moment with that forward connection piece a work in progress, but what they have which most sides won’t be able to counter us with this year is comfort in playing fast footy. We’ve had 12 months to bed that down which puts us at a significant advantage over most teams that want to play fast (as we saw v Port). The catch is they’ve been doing it a lot longer than we have so their system will arguably be better than ours. It makes for an interesting contest similar to Rd 1, IMO.

It's going to be an interesting game. Last year they showed they knew how to pull apart our defensive system - as it's basically their system that they train against. Lots of baulks - draw the defender forward and exploit the space he's come from (or the deeper space that they next line has rolled up from.) We were supposedly flat with the flu though. For me, it's a bit of a barometer of how exploitable our system is. I think it'll hold up.

Last edited:
Ouch re Cox. He’s a big loss, especially against Richmond. Doubly bad if Checkers doesn’t get up. And while he often plays under duress - as he did for a chunk of last season - I’d prefer him fully fit so as to really test the Richmond defence.

Seems like Reef in for a full game, and AJ too. Carmy the sub - or Ginni.😁

And hopefully no impact on the chemistry we have going up forward.

Despite how they are now, the Dogs (at Docklands) :along with Carlton and Tigers concern me the most.

I am not worried about the clearances in the absence of Cox. That wont bother Mitchell. For me it's the ability of Cox to push forward or back and clunk marks that we will miss the most.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

It's going to be an interesting game. Last year they showed they knew how to pull apart our defensive system - as it's basically their system that they train against. Lots of baulks - draw the defender forward and exploit the space he's come from (or the deeper space that they next line has rolled up from.) We were supposedly flat with the flu though. For me, it's a bit of a barometer of how exploitable our system is. I think it'll hold up.

I forgot about the flu rumours. We didn't want to use it as an excuse, but I wish they did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So seems like Cox and Mihocek out (likely).

McInnis in for the entire game and play Mihocek's role.

So who replaces Cox? Do we go tall flanker with Johnson or Wilson? Or even taller with Kelly? Or do we go with the runner in Macrae?

So seems like Cox and Mihocek out (likely).

McInnis in for the entire game and play Mihocek's role.

So who replaces Cox? Do we go tall flanker with Johnson or Wilson? Or even taller with Kelly? Or do we go with the runner in Macrae?
Do you think Fin is ready? He spent most of preseason recovering from that stress related back injury didn't he? And hasn't been back full training for very long...

Sad news re Mason. Hopefully he makes a speedy and full recovery.

I would increase Cameron's time in the ruck and bring in Steene. With Checkers under and injury cloud, McStay has to stay up forward.

Alternative if they want to go fully radical, is to let McStay punch hit in ruck and Moore plays up forward. Trust Frampton, Murphy and Maynard to get the job done defensively.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Have you seen Steene? He is built like a flagpole and barely out of nappies. Much better to go with an experienced player who can perform other roles as well.

Hope Cox is not going to be missing for 6 weeks. That's a long time and we are sure to have other injuries which will chip away at the side. Particularly hate him missing against Richmond after his final's performance against them in 2018.

Shame about the Cox injury but I’ve been calling for one ruck to be played for some time

Mcstay and/or Frampton to chop out.

Allows us to play the extra running player… our run is the strength we need to play to eg Carmichael or even Markov

Then can name a utility as sub should we lose a tall eg Wilson or Johnson… both of whom have played at either end in their career

Can’t see playing the one ruck affecting the team too greatly 🤷‍♀️

Don’t want Frampton moved around too much just yet, would prefer he gets to settle a bit down back.

Reef in for Checkers.

AJ or Wilson in for Cox.

McStay can relief ruck, and if things look grim Wilson can also play down back and free up Frampton if absolutely necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back