AFLW Collingwood v Richmond Saturday March 12, 3.10 pm Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

1646606907664.png

Irrespective of the result, I can guarantee this trip to Vic park will be a lot more pleasurable than the last time I ventured to that venue.

Dogs have a bit of a hurdle getting over Brissie on Sunday but it would be real nice to make the Pies sweat over that result with a win on the Saturday.

Sabrina to do a Kernahan and kick it out on the full after the siren!

How did this get missed?

In her first 13 games, Sarah Sansonetti was yet to taste the sweet smell of victory.

Her 14th game was against West Coast in Perth We won by 23.

They didn't put Sarah in the middle when the song was sung!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This takes me back to my 10 year old self when my Dad decided to paint the interior of our house.

There were 4 bedrooms.

Guess which room didn't get painted.

My room!

Only one in the friggin' house that didn't get painted.

Even the pantry and the outside toilet got a coat of paint!

All my room got was a wash down.

A bloody washdown!

I best Sarah felt like 10 year old me!

We need #RedemptionForSarah

If we get over the line in an upset I say she goes in the circle.

Last edited:
No love.
Perfect time to make up ground on the leaders by picking the Tigers in an upset but all we get is cellar dweller tipsters demonstrating a total lack of courage. :p

Who wins R10? Our AFLW experts help find you a winner​

SARAH BLACK​

Geelong – three points
Collingwood
North Melbourne
Melbourne
Adelaide
Brisbane
Fremantle

Last week: 5
Total: 51

NATHAN SCHMOOK​

Geelong - 10 points
Collingwood
North Melbourne
Melbourne
Adelaide
Brisbane
Fremantle

NAT EDWARDS​

Geelong – seven points
Collingwood
North Melbourne
Melbourne
Adelaide
Brisbane
Fremantle

RILEY BEVERIDGE​

Geelong - 16 points
Collingwood
North Melbourne
Melbourne
Adelaide
Brisbane
Fremantle

Total: 49

GEMMA BASTIANI​

GWS Giants - two points
Collingwood
North Melbourne
Melbourne
Adelaide
Brisbane
Fremantle

Total: 49

LIBBY BIRCH​

GWS Giants - 10 points
Collingwood
North Melbourne
Melbourne
Adelaide
Brisbane
Fremantle

Total: 48

SARAH BURT​

Geelong - three points
Collingwood
Kangaroos
Melbourne
Adelaide
Brisbane
Fremantle

Total: 46

LUCY WATKIN​

Geelong - 12 points
Collingwood
North Melbourne
Melbourne
Adelaide
Bulldogs
Fremantle

Last week: 3
Total: 45

Last edited:

Will be hanging up my Bigfooty boots after this game.

Need to focus on some stuff. Hopefully you guys and gals can keep things ticking along in this space.

Been fun.
Best wishes down the track if you don’t end up crossing paths with us by logging on in the future!

Need to focus on some stuff. Hopefully you guys and gals can keep things ticking along in this space.

Been fun.
Till TigermanM3
🤞

Been fun.
All the best, Tiger. Been a pleasure reading your posts, and discussing footy. You'll be missed.

This'll be my first time watching footy at Vic Park. Can't wait.

Can't say I'm confident for the win, but I am hopeful. Wakefield makes a massive difference. Just want to see us finish the season the way we played most of it - competitive and improving. Good opportunity to see if we're making ground on some of the foundation teams.

1646954722897.png
Gemma Bastiani

Collingwood v Richmond at Victoria Park, 3.10pm AEDT

• Collingwood just needs to win in order to secure its place in finals, but that's not such a simple task when coming up against Richmond. The Pies have found more attack over the last fortnight off the back of Ruby Schleicher’s drive from defence and direct ball movement through the corridor, but it will be that battle in the back half that will be key to this game. While Collingwood likes to launch its attack from the defensive half, Richmond is particularly damaging once it is able to get the ball forward. If the Tigers can take advantage of the time the ball spends in their forward line – as they have managed to do for much of this year – they will give the Pies a run for their money.
  • Despite Collingwood being the side sitting in sixth place on the ladder, Richmond is averaging more points per game with 37.2. Katie Brennan’s 15 goals make up 30.6 per cent of Richmond’s goals this year, and Brennan is one of just two players to have kicked a goal in every game this year. It’s important that the Pies don’t allow Brennan to find any space inside 50, especially now that Courtney Wakefield is back in the side drawing the eye of defenders.
  • Richmond will challenge, but ultimately Collingwood will secure its place in finals. Collingwood by 10 points.

1646954957805.png

Collingwood vs Richmond
For Collingwood, the equation is simple: win, play finals and sentence Carlton and the Western Bulldogs to play dead rubbers against Melbourne and the Brisbane Lions later in the round.

The Pies had a huge opportunity to seal off the top six but fell just short of upsetting the Adelaide Crows at Norwood Oval, meaning that, while unlikely, they run the risk of being overtaken by the Blues or Bulldogs by the end of the round.

Back at home, Steve Symond’s side will start hot favourites to beat the Tigers, who have won three matches this season, including beating the Giants in Sydney last Saturday night.

A five-goal opening quarter was enough for them to get over the line by seven points, despite only kicking two more goals (both in the third quarter) for the rest of the match.

But they will be without Jess Hosking, who has copped a two-match ban from the judiciary for engaging in rough conduct against GWS’ Alyce Parker, meaning that not only will she miss this weekend’s game against the Pies, but also the first match of next season.

They will again be relying on huge performances from Katie Brennan and Monique Conti, two of their most consistent performers this season, to finish their season on a high, and give their supporters something to think about in 2023.

However, with everything to play for, don’t expect the Pies to get complacent on Saturday.

Prediction: Collingwood by 15 points.

1646955110370.png
Michael Alvaro

Collingwood can put its top six status beyond all doubt on Saturday afternoon as it hosts traditional men’s rival Richmond at Victoria Park. The Magpies currently occupy the last finals spot, but a loss would see them dislodged from postseason honours should the Western Bulldogs get up over Brisbane. Richmond, on the other hand, will purely look to play spoiler after nabbing four points last time out.

Despite being heavily depleted, Collingwood got within two points of Adelaide last time out. Missing the likes of Brianna Davey, Brittany Bonnici, and potentially Jaimee Lambert is nothing short of a massacre to the Pies’ midfield, but their slingshot style from defence is still effective should the engine room battle not be consistently won.

On the other hand, Richmond will rely on its ability to win the ball at the source to create opportunities in attack. The Tigers will likely do so without Sarah Hosking after her cheek blew up last week, and hers is among a raft of injuries. Still, Richmond pulled some major positives from its bounce-back performance in Round 9, and should push the Pies all the way here.

1646955215245.png
Gil Griffin

COLLINGWOOD (5-4) v RICHMOND (3-6) (Saturday 3.10 pm, Victoria Park)
The Pies last week put quite a scare into Adelaide from after the quarter-time siren to the finish, but came up short. ACL injuries have robbed Collingwood of two of the league’s biggest stars in Bri Davey and Britt Bonnici, but still the Pies soldier on. Sabrina Frederick and Chloe Molloy have reverted to their best form over the last two rounds, but that wasn’t enough to topple the Crows. An upset isn’t past the Tigers, who after Round 1 looked for all the world as if they’d be the AFLW’s most improved club, but the Pies have too much experience and too much pride to self-sabotage an almost-certain finals berth. Richmond was buoyed last week by the return of Courtney Wakefield, the forward foil to their biggest star, Katie Brennan, and the club remains fifth for scoring, despite being only four spots from the bottom of the ladder. But the Tigers have also conceded the third-most points, which will should allow Collingwood to win comfortably on its home ground.
GIL TIPS: Collingwood

Team as named last week:

FB: D'Arcy, Miller
HB: Lynch, JHosking, Shevlin
C Dempsey, SHosking, Lavey
HF Yassir, Brancatisano, Bernardi
FF Brennan, Wakefield

FOL Seymour, McKenzie, Conti
IC Molan, Kelly, Sansonetti, Kiely, Makur Chuot

Likely outs: JHosking (2 weeks for being too tough), Lavey (Bendigo Spirit play Saturday)

I've got SHosking in, but it wouldn't change my opinion of her and her toughness if she sat out with a busted face.

Pickings look slim for another defender to come in for JHosking. Maybe Ferg will start Sansonetti and bring in someone (any suggestions?) as the back's rotation. Possible Makur Chuot starts at CHB and Ferg brings in Stahl as the forward rotation, but personally, I'd rather see Akec stay forward. Molan played her junior footy as CHB. I'd start her there, but kinda doubt that'll happen. Maybe they'll get creative.

We can't replace Lavey's class. Likely Molan starts on the wing and another mid comes in to roll off the bench. Jacques? McDonald? Reid? What happened to Dargan? Maybe Reid the most likely winger-type.

It'll be interesting. This season has really stretched our depth, as it has most clubs. Collingwood are doing well to cover Bonnici and Davey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team as named last week:

FB: D'Arcy, Miller
HB: Lynch, JHosking, Shevlin
C Dempsey, SHosking, Lavey
HF Yassir, Brancatisano, Bernardi
FF Brennan, Wakefield

FOL Seymour, McKenzie, Conti
IC Molan, Kelly, Sansonetti, Kiely, Makur Chuot

Likely outs: JHosking (2 weeks for being too tough), Lavey (Bendigo Spirit play Saturday)

I've got SHosking in, but it wouldn't change my opinion of her and her toughness if she sat out with a busted face.

Pickings look slim for another defender to come in for JHosking. Maybe Ferg will start Sansonetti and bring in someone (any suggestions?) as the back's rotation. Possible Makur Chuot starts at CHB and Ferg brings in Stahl as the forward rotation, but personally, I'd rather see Akec stay forward. Molan played her junior footy as CHB. I'd start her there, but kinda doubt that'll happen. Maybe they'll get creative.

We can't replace Lavey's class. Likely Molan starts on the wing and another mid comes in to roll off the bench. Jacques? McDonald? Reid? What happened to Dargan? Maybe Reid the most likely winger-type.

It'll be interesting. This season has really stretched our depth, as it has most clubs. Collingwood are doing well to cover Bonnici and Davey.

The big question I have is who is going to line up on Lambert. Has murdered us in every game I've seen when she plays against us whether its AFLW or VFLW. Kiely I guess. If Meg Mac is back then maybe she gets a go. A mid who racks up disposals and hits the scoreboard is a gold nugget. Will determine the outcome of the game.

AFLW Tigers name side for final round
Richmond has named its AFLW team to take on Collingwood in the final round of the home-and-away season this Saturday at Victoria Park.
Richmond has made four changes to its line-up for Saturday's final-round clash against Collingwood at Victoria Park.
The Tigers will welcome back Tayla Stahl and Kodi Jacques, who both missed Round 9 through injury.
Livewire Stahl will be a valuable inclusion in Richmond's forward line, while Jacques will add defensive pressure to the Tigers' midfield.
Twenty-three-year-old midfielder Meg Macdonald has also been named as an inclusion, coming in for the sixth match of her debut AFLW season.
Midfielder Sarah Dargan has also been recalled for her first appearance since Round 4 and her 25th AFLW game.
After arriving at Tigerland ahead of the 2021 season, the 22-year-old's first 14 AFLW outings were played at Collingwood.
Also celebrating their 25th AFLW games on Saturday are inaugural AFLW Tigers Bec Miller and Gabby Seymour.
The duo are the first-ever players to play 25 games entirely for Richmond, having not missed a single game since the Club joined the league in 2020.
Out of last week's side is Sarah Hosking, who suffered a cheekbone injury in the win over GWS, and skipper Katie Brennan due to a foot injury.
Jess Hosking will miss the clash after receiving a two-match suspension in Round 9, while dual athlete Tessa Lavey is unavailable for selection due to her WNBL commitments.
Richmond's two emergencies for the match are first-year Tigers Ingrid Houtsma and Stella Reid.
Saturday, March 12
Collingwood v Richmond at Victoria Park, 3.10pm

COLLINGWOOD
B: L.Butler 23 S.Livingstone 12
HB: A.Porter 9 R.Schleicher 18 J.Allen 6
C: A.Velardo 5 J.Lambert 13 S.Rowe 7
HF: S.Alexander 24 C.Molloy 2 T.Brown 26
F: S.Frederick 1 E.James 20
Foll: A.Downie 30 M.Cann 25 S.Chiocci - C 17
I/C: E.Fowler 15 A.Moloney 40 A.Newman 16 A.Sheridan 14 S.Casey 22
Emerg: E.O'Dea 50 I.Barnett 4
In: A.Newman
Out: E.O'Dea (Omitted)

RICHMOND
B: S.D'Arcy 12 R.Miller 15
HB: B.Lynch 32 S.Sansonetti 18 M.Shevlin 35
C: K.Dempsey 19 M.Kiely 31 S.Molan 1
HF: E.Yassir 27 M.Brancatisano 5 C.Bernardi 6
F: T.Stahl 24 C.Wakefield 8
Foll: G.Seymour 28 E.McKenzie 22 M.Conti - C 4
I/C: K.Jacques 10 S.Dargan 17 M.Macdonald 38 P.Kelly 14 A.Makur Chuot 34
Emerg: I.Houtsma 36 S.Reid 25
In: T.Stahl, K.Jacques, S.Dargan, M.Macdonald
Out: J.Hosking (Suspension), S.Hosking (Injured), K.Brennan (Injured), T.Lavey (Managed)

Last edited:
Big outs.

It’s inevitable that there will be players coming off the list to make way for new draftees so for some this game is going to be their last chance to try and stay in the AFLW. Would be a massive massive upset but stranger things have happened.

how the hell is Collingwood's Erica Fowler No 15 playing this week
last week gets stretchered off, suffered concussion & went to hospital
and Adelaide's Najwa Allen, who hit her, got 2 weeks suspension
surely this is a mistake

Absolutely no doubt that Allen got 2 weeks as a result of the “concussion” sustained.

I’d be pretty filthy if I was Allen.

Big outs.

It’s inevitable that there will be players coming off the list to make way for new draftees so for some this game is going to be their last chance to try and stay in the AFLW. Would be a massive massive upset but stranger things have happened.

i think the Emergencies, I.Houtsma & S.Reid are the last 2 we have fit

who do you see as under the pump, baring retirement TigermanM2?
i've got Burchell, Jacques, Dargan & McLaren all shaky, with Makur-Chuot a near definite

Pretty much agree the players you listed are under the pump.
I’d be surprised if they didn’t keep Hannah Burchell on the list. They usually support players through their ACL recoveries. Sophie Molan probably needed a better season but she had injury issues early on. I think there will be discussions about her given she was in and out of the side.

I noticed that Sophie Locke has now been officially listed on our team list so maybe they’ve taken the opportunity to list her now and not have to use a draft pick. She has been given #21. Will be interesting to see if she stays there. If she has another great VFLW season might be a shrewd move.

Of course this means that there will be quite a juggling act when those on the injury list return. Not sure we’ll keep Ross. Jess Hosking has taken her spot.

You would think Meg McDonald would be kept but I wouldn’t put my house on it. It’s just so tough with a list of only 30. I’d like to see her in the yellow and black next year. Beth Lynch definitely. Peterson hasn’t played so I think she will go back to VFLW.

Very sad for Hannah McLaren. Really good performer in VFLW but has been really unlucky. Would have made her debut this year if not for illness.

Some really tough decisions to be made as the list still isn’t good enough and we need to clear list spots. I expect we will again go hard trade wise to fill gaps and this has served us brilliantly over the last couple of years.

Last edited:
with the new season probably starting August this year
Cordner & Burchell would be extremely doubtful to recover in time with their ACL's (as would all other players with the same injury)
maybe the reason for Locke being on the list (replacement player)?

maybe the 2 with ACL's would be put as inactive for new season = 28 available players + Lynch promoted, + MacDonald/Locke ?
minus players we need to delist with trades/draftees coming in

but yes like you said TigermamM2 "for some this game is going to be their last chance to try and stay in the AFLW"

How did this get missed?

In her first 13 games, Sarah Sansonetti was yet to taste the sweet smell of victory.

Her 14th game was against West Coast in Perth We won by 23.

They didn't put Sarah in the middle when the song was sung!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This takes me back to my 10 year old self when my Dad decided to paint the interior of our house.

There were 4 bedrooms.

Guess which room didn't get painted.

My room!

Only one in the friggin' house that didn't get painted.

Even the pantry and the outside toilet got a coat of paint!

All my room got was a wash down.

A bloody washdown!

I best Sarah felt like 10 year old me!

We need #RedemptionForSarah

If we get over the line in an upset I say she goes in the circle.

You are just trying to impress our subconscious mind that you are a clean freak and that no paint was necessary - that is the real message from your diatribe! ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back